Many people love sweet foods, and they also love experimenting with their favorite ingredients. One of the great ingredients that Filipinos love to level up is the banana.
Banana is one of the staple food crops known in the Philippines. This food crop could be easier to level up because of its authentic taste, succulent flavor, and features. Most of the Philippine Cuisine used Saba or Cardava as an additional ingredient.
If you are banana lovers, then this featured dish is perfect for you. This article could get all the details, information, cooking style, and variations in this dish.
Thus, all you have to do is read and dive into this article to get what you need. Discovering a wonderful dish that would satisfy your cravings for this banana featured recipe is the perfect option.
So come on! Let’s start digging it.
What is Best Maruya Saba Banana
Maruya Banana is another traditional Filipino platter dish served as dessert or snack after a meal and after siesta time.
Maruya is an original dish from the Philippines, which is a fritter type of food. Fritter is a dish that could prepare in both savory or sweet delicacies. It has dough, fruits, vegetables, or other ingredients that you could fry, battered, or breaded the ingredients.
They used saba bananas as the main ingredient in this featured dish. The most common and known preparation is coating a thin slice of the banana in a mixture. It is then deep-fried and then sprinkled with sugar.
It is also commonly sold as street food and could also serve at home as snacks among Pinoys.
The preparation of the featured dish is simple and quick. You have to mash the banana first before mixing it with other ingredients and in the mixture. Or you could slice the banana, then dip in the mixture and deep fry it, then sprinkled with sugar.
Ways to Cook of Banana fritters
There are tons of ways to cook a particular dish like the featured dish in this article. So, we list down at least two ways of cooking to help you create this fantastic dish.
Cooking on the stovetop for the featured dish is another great idea. If you are about to use this cooking method, you have to put a casserole, a pan, or pot with a great amount of oil to cook.
You could watch the entire cooking process and see if the dish’s cook is very good enough. This way is one of the very common methods used by many people in making the featured dish. You also control how long you want to cook your dish and even how high or low the stove’s fire when making the featured dish.
This method of cooking, it made your cooking easier than the first technique. You don’t need to watch the entire process of cooking the whole time. You have to set the cooking time, then place the ingredients then cook it until it achieves the dish’s perfect cook.
Besides that, you have to use a multi-cooker in the Instant pot cooking technique, which allows you to easily set how long you want your featured dish to cook.
Other Delicious Variants and Recipes
If you are not satisfied with the classic or traditional, here are some variations of the delicious Banana recipe. We provided you with different versions to experiment and explore to create the dish and upgrade it.
Batter using pancake mix recipe
Usually, the featured dish’s mixture is flour, eggs, water, sugar, milk, and butter. But in this variation, you could use the pancake mix as the base of the mixture and add some eggs and water to make it creamier, soft, and fluffy when you cook it.
Instead of plain flour, this pancake mixture would give more flavor and taste to our menu. It also helps you ensure that all ingredients’ measurement is right and enough to create a wonderful dish like Banana Fritter.
Mashed Bananas Fritter
On the other hand, many people used the sliced banana and dip it in the mixture to make the banana fritter. But in this version, you could mash the banana first then mix it into your mixture. You could shape it in a certain shape like a circle, square, or even heart-shaped if you want it.
The cooking process, the ingredients, and even the mixture are the same as the traditional method. The only difference is that you mashed the plantain instead of cooking it in slices.
Using glutinous rice
Aside from the first two variants, this version requires more effort. First, you need to make sure that the glutinous rice is already finely ground. So, when you mix it to create a mixture, it is easy to mix for the featured dish.
Instead of using mashed banana, pancake mixture, or flour, you could use a fine ground glutinous rice as your mixture base to dip your sliced banana to make banana fritter.
Trivia about Banana Fritters
Did you know that banana fritter or Maruya has many variations and names? The first version is from Muslim Filipino; they call their version as jampok. They used mash latundan banana instead of plantains.
While in Western Visayas, they call the featured dish as kumbo.
Also, another dessert is very similar to Maruya, which is the Bunwelos na saging. Bunwelos or Buñuelo is a Spanish-derived flour doughnut. It also uses mashed ripe cardava bananas rather than dessert bananas. They shape the mixture as little balls.
Tips for cooking Banana Fritters
Bananas are a wonderful ingredient to cook within your kitchen. So, proper cooking and preparing it is important. So here are the steps to make this amazing dish extravagant and level up banana fritter.
- Check if all your ingredients needed to create the featured dish is complete.
- Ensure that you wash all the ingredients for hygienic and safety standards when cooking.
- If you are using glutinous rice, make sure that it must finely ground to make the batter smooth and soft.
- Stir the batter until it gets moistened. Do not over mix it.
- Cut the bananas into uniform sizes and thickness for even cooking.
- You could use a ripe banana, make sure that it is not overripe to keep your dish from falling apart.
The featured dish is easy to cook and prepare, but sometimes we make some errors when making the dish. So, to help you to avoid you from stressing out yourself cooking this superb dish.
- If you purchased an overripe banana, you could still use it by mashing it instead of slicing it.
- If you cooked the first batch of your dish and it is not intact with each other, try to make the batter crispier by adding chilled-milk.
Best Serve With
Banana recipes like the featured dish are usually and particularly served with other dishes in the Filipino platter menu. Hence, we researched all the recipes that could complement the featured dish in this article.
- Hot Chocolate– is a popular drink that is usually and commonly served with our recipe, which makes the featured dish stand out.
- Coffee– is a beverage that many people love to serve with the featured dish. It complements the taste and bold flavors in the featured dish.
- Sprite/ Coke– is another beverage that many serve with our menu because it makes the taste and flavor stand out.
- Pineapple Juice– is also a popular drink that complements the dish and gives the acidity taste that makes the featured dish stand out.
- Garlic Butter Shrimp– is a seafood dish that is a perfect pair to the featured dish because of its savory and salt flavors.
- Fish Lumpia– another dish that makes the featured dish stand out because of its bold, savory and succulent taste.
- Ginataang Sapsap– is another dish served with our menu. The banana fritter served as a dessert along with this savory dish.
- Carbonara: The banana fritter is perfect for serving with pasta recipes like carbonara. Its creamy taste complements the sweet flavor of it.
- Spaghetti– another pasta recipe in the menu that compliments very well with the banana recipe’s sweetness featured in the article.
Maruya Banana is an outstanding dish that features in this article. It is simple, easy, and quick to make dishes that kick your taste buds.
You could make this dish at home and serve it with your family. You could also explore, discover, and experiment with new variations of the featured dish to level it up and make the plain Maruya another one of a kind dish that you would be proud to serve.
All the ingredients you need for this recipe are easy to find in the market these days. So, what are you waiting for right now? Get your notes and pen to write down all you need so you could create this amazing dish in the comfort of your home.
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
Best Maruya Saba Banana Recipe
- 5 pcs Saba banana quartered
- 1 cup Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 cup White sugar
- 2 cups Cooking oil
- 3/4 cup Water
- Combine flour, baking powder and white sugar in a medium bowl. Mix well.
- Pour-in water and stir well until the mixture gets thick. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, dip 3 pieces of bananas in the mixture then put in the pan. Make sure it is well-coated.
- Fry the bananas for 3-5 minutes or until light brown.
- Transfer in a serving plate. Share and enjoy!