Spaghetti is a not so new recipe that you will always find on Filipino occasions. You can even find random people and ask them how to create Spaghetti, and they would tell it right away. That's how famous, and typical this party food is in the Philippines.
With this, most families have developed their new and homemade sauce based on their preferences, and this is why there are many ways to create yummy spaghetti recipes. You can easily customize recipes like this according to your own choice of variant.
So here in Eat Like Pinoy, we want to give you an overview of a new and simple procedure on how you can create this treat for your family to enjoy on any occasion. But first, let us talk about the Filipino style compared to the rest of its kind.
What Makes A Homemade Filipino Spaghetti Recipe
What makes the Filipino style of recipes is a well-loved recipe from generation to generation is its signature taste from a Filipino made catsup spaghetti sauce. The new recipes of spaghetti sauce present a distinct zesty-sweet taste equal to the taste of banana ketchup. Other techniques would use sugar in their sauce to enhance the flavor even more.
These kinds of Filipinized recipes have another notable element: the ground meat (Giniling na Karne). Ground meat gives a chunky texture and taste to relish together with garlic cloves and onions to subdue its saltiness. Needless to say that it is the sweet, tangy punch and saltiness that gives Filipino style Spaghetti a unique blend of taste. Also, you can choose between ground pork or ground beef in recipes like this.
Another bang that gives recipes like this the eternal glory is the creaminess from the cheese. Filipino have many ways to add cheese to their Spaghetti. They grate it, spread, or infuse it while they boil the sauce.
When it comes to how recipes like this found its way to the Philippines, we can't know precisely at which point in time it happened. There were no documented detailed accounts on how it landed in the country, but there is an exciting story surrounding it, and we will talk about that later on as we progress in this recipe.
How To Make A Homemade Recipe Of Best Spaghetti Sauce
Now, let's talk about the sauce.
The sauce is the magical ingredient of Spaghetti, so they say. And we couldn't agree more about that. What is Spaghetti without its savory sauce, eh? Here, we will talk about how spaghetti sauce cooks, the Filipino way.
Traditionally, Filipinos like their sauce naturally sweet, homey, and uncomplicated, just like your momma's bedtime lullabies. Commonly make the best Spaghetti by combining onion, cloves of garlic, margarine, ground pork or ground beef, and hot dogs with the classic sauce, ketchup, sugar, and cheese to attain that tasteful tang.
On the contrary, Italians create their sauce in some other ways. Theirs is on the sour side with lots of herbs to give it sophisticated layers of flavors. Another sauce famous on their tables is the Marinara and Mushrooms Sauce. Prepare the Marinara and mushrooms sauce from real Italian tomatoes, fresh basil, onions, Italian seasonings, red wine, and fresh mushrooms rinsed to perfection.
If you don't have the privilege to cook it, you can have a store-bought canned sauce available in the market.
Meanwhile, as the new-age millennium approaches, a new era of health-conscious people has also emerged. This generation has found a way to a new low carb sauce. Yes, you heard it right. To do this, you can just simply have a store-bought low carb sauce, or you can cook it yourself by using tomato paste, canned tomatoes, dried oregano, kosher salt, fresh basil, and extra-virgin oil. It is better to use newly dried oregano because the taste is stronger than the fresh oregano. But, it depends on how you prefer it in your recipes.
Another new sauce famous would be the meat sauce—cooked using ground beef or pork and the usual sauce ingredients—for example, tomato sauce and onions. You can also add tomato paste to create a thicker.
This meat sauce is perfect for spring, tubular ribbon, or corkscrew kinds of noodles. Also, you can use meat sauce in bolognese and lasagnas. Another thing that is great about meat sauce is that you can keep it in the freezer, and you can just reheat it when you want to use it. Besides, meat sauce is also a perfect dip for quesadillas and bread.
The use of beef in recipes similar to this is excellent because beef has a robust taste that will match recipes. Also, beef is full of nutrients that your body will need, for example, zinc, protein, and more. Besides, beef incorporates easily into any recipe that you prefer.
Hence, it is exciting to know that culinary has thrived to adapt to these demands, especially cooking Spaghetti. It only shows its diversity and versatility regarding how it dances perfectly with people's changing times and needs.
Best Spaghetti Recipe: Easy Homemade Variation
Since this is an easy recipe that thrived through times, many variations have been created already over the globe. We will now introduce several variants of how you can create this Spaghetti, an extra sophisticated delicious from the scratch-looking you just prepared on your last birthday.
One Pan Spaghetti
You might have gotten the gist of the title, and yes, we are talking about using one pot for cooking this pasta. So no too many pots and pans to wash. The less, the better, right? This will also create infusion in all flavors—no need to transfer the dripping excellent taste from a pot to another. We assure you that this will promote easy cooking throughout.
All you have to do is cook the ground beef, the tomato sauce - either you cooked it yourself or stored bought, and the noodles all in the same pan, and voila, you will have your quick-fix Spaghetti for dinner.
For the beef, ensure that you will cook it properly. Pan sear the beef for a couple of minutes. Ensure that the beef will be brown, not pink.
Roasted Garlic Spaghetti
Who does not love the smell of garlic, especially when roasted? In all weathers, garlic has to be included in all foodies you love, because why not? The pungent, aromatic smell is an appetite booster, and what's more, cloves of garlic is a powerful spice known to normalize high blood pressure. It can protect your heart from cardiac diseases, so toss generous amounts of it to your sauce and have a hearty feast.
There is nothing compared to saving dinners leftovers from going to the trash bin. In this case, you can turn those veggies into a whole new foodie recipe by adding it up to your Spaghetti the next morning. Not only will it give you another nutritious meal to munch, but the kids would not even know what is on their plate. It's similar to hitting two birds with a rock.
Level up the creaminess and taste by popping it in the oven to bake for a few minutes. Vegetable spaghetti would be a yummy and delicious meal for your family.
You will love this easy mom version, for it will take up less than 20 mins to prepare. All you need is canned sardines, oregano, breadcrumbs, cloves of garlic, and pepper to spice up this recipe. Easy recipes similar to this are perfect for those who are always on the go. For example, are moms and working professionals. It is ideal for a quick-fix breakfast or dinner when everything seems so hectic, and you need to pull out an easy meal.
Don't worry. It is excellent that you are viewing this article as a guide. You will not be short on nutrients because sardines are high in protein and omega-3 that is good for the heart. Oregano, on the other hand, is loaded with antioxidants and antibacterial properties that fight infections. Garnish your sardine spaghetti; however, you prefer it.
There's nothing beats the easy crock-pot way of cooking. It is for the busy moms, gals, and all who don't have much time to spare in making a decent dinner. You just have to put everything in one pan and walk away. Plus, it is a method of slow cooking, so it is super healthy. All you need is to scoop the recipe out of the pot and garnish. You have an instant crock-pot spaghetti.
With a generous amount of cheese and herbs as a garnish, Baked Spaghetti is a killer meal. Put the beauty of baking into your Spaghetti. If you want to give this recipe a new look, bake it! Put layers of mozzarella cheese, veggies, and herbs as a garnish, then let the oven melt the cheese and fuse every taste, and this will indeed have every diner excited to gather on the dining table.
Are you bored with its natural red color? Why not level it up and have it into another color? All you need are green bell pepper, cilantro, cream cheese, and onion in the food processor and blend it until it turns smooth. Pour it on your cooked spaghetti noodles and mix. And there you go! You have your green Spaghetti to relish over dinner.
Got some leftover broiler, and you don't know what to do with them? Why not put it into some yummy spaghetti and create broiler spaghetti over a weeknight dinner? We promise you this would create a good munch for the whole fam.
You need boneless broiler breast, all-purpose flour, cheese (preferably cheddar-shredded), some herbs, and spice. Saute the broiler together with other ingredients and add it to the spaghetti noodles. Put it in a baking dish and place it in the oven to bake for 45 mins.
Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese
And for our vegan friends, we have a delish recipe version for you. Who would've thought you could enjoy a bolognese without meat? Yes, you heard that right. You need unsweetened tomato sauce, minced cauliflower, and minced walnuts for the sauce.
You can use gluten-free noodles like chia flour noodles, quinoa spaghetti, or more protein-packed use Edamame for the spaghetti noodles. You also can opt for low carb spaghetti such as zucchini for this bolognese. So there is your meat-free vegan spaghetti bolognese to relish hot and guilt-free.
Troubleshooting Information About Delish Homemade Pasta Recipe
Though this recipe is relatively simple to prepare, there will be moments when you will spill a little too much or too little of everything. Here we will help you find solutions when that happens.
The overcooked spaghetti noodles solution is to saute them in a pan using butter and olive oil on low heat. Also, it will add a great taste to this recipe. It will have the spaghetti noodles crisp again. Add some parmesan cheese and cloves of garlic for extra thickness, and in this way, you can disguise the overcooked taste of the spaghetti noodles. Also, before cooking, always ensure that you are reviewing your recipes well. This is to ensure that you will have the right timing and exact condiments to add.
Pale sauce: review the recipe
The most straightforward way you can remedy this is by adding ketchup, but if this happens and you run out of ketchup, try adding roasted tomatoes in the mix and simmer it in low heat.
Salty sauce: review the recipe
What will work correctly to remedy this is by re-adjusting portions so the salt and taste will balance itself. If the sauce is salty, remove part of the sauce and add fresh liquid, which could be unsalted broth, stock, or plain water.
The sauce is too runny and thin: review the recipe
This means there is too much liquid infused into the mix. If you encounter this, you can always add extra flour and have a quick stir on high heat for a minute, and you'll see your sauce start to thicken.
The Proper way To Cook And Boil Spaghetti Pasta
Do not depend on the package on how long to simmer Spaghetti because it does not give you real cooking time (most of them are just guidelines). Those instructions are only made for packaging purposes. Mistakes will be made once you follow it by the book. Start your timing when your water starts to simmer. Typically spaghetti noodles cook within 8 to 12 minutes duration. Test dry spaghetti noodles for doneness after about 4 minutes by either tasting it or throwing it to a tiled wall. If it sticks to the wall and doesn't fall out, then it is al dente.
Delish Recipes' Trivia
As we have stated here, we don't have substantial evidence of when Filipino-style Spaghetti appeared. But research shows that the first instance of it emerged during the end of World War II. It happened when General Douglas McArthur ate Spaghetti Neapolitan at a hotel in Japan.
While it was different from the Filipinos personal version we have today, Gen. Douglas McArthur's staff member tweaked it. He brought the recipe to the Philippines—ultimately turning it into the well-loved recipe that we have today.
Did you know that tomatoes are sumptuous for your health? Tomatoes are full of lycopene that promotes good heart health. Also, it has compounds that increase the propensity of preventing the formulation of cancer in your system. Aside from that, it is rich in vitamins that aid in digestion and antioxidants that relieves stress.
Time To Get Cooking With Helpful Recipe Tips
Here are some tips for creating your home-cooked Spaghetti, an extra tasty treat for the whole fam.
- Never put oil in the water used to simmer the noodles. It is a standard kitchen error made by many and a kitchen nightmare. Though this method will prevent the noodles from sticking to each other, the propensity of preventing the sauce from clinging to the noodles, too, gives you a tasteless spaghetti noodle at the end.
- If you want to brighten up the taste and add some delectable tanginess to your sauce, then you can add something acidic. While reheating your spaghetti sauce, add some dash of lemon juice, red wine vinegar, or balsamic vinegar, or you can also add some olive. You'd be amazed by what acid can do to your sauce!
- The secret ingredient of a delicious sauce is baking soda. Adding baking soda to your sauce will give a high propensity to change your tomato sauce's pH level, turning it less acidic. Typically, we balance the acidity of the tomato by adding a bit of sugar. Still, it can not neutralize the acidity that baking soda can, plus adding sugar can change the flavors and the taste.
- Anchovies have a high propensity of doing wonders in your sauce by adding a tablespoon or two per 20 oz of canned tomatoes. It opens a significant factor of taste once it collides in your recipe. It will just melt away in the sauce and won't leave any fish aftertaste, but will give extra umami taste instead. This way goes well with any broth. It will appear that it is made with love.
- When preparing Spaghetti, ensure that you are going to use the right size of the pot. If the pot is too small, it will increase the cooking time needed. Aside from that, the noodles will stick to the bottom and will start clumping unless you stir vigilantly. That will be too much work for you. Cooking should be fun and manageable.
- Ensure that you have enough cooking water for the number of noodles that you are going to cook. Not enough water will result in too starchy noodles.
- IF you think adding salt as the noodle sticks is a myth, then you are wrong. It helps the pasta cook better with salt. Also, don't shy away from using a palmful of salt because the noodles will not sip it in. The salt is a helping agent to the noodles to roughen its texture and avoid being slimy. Besides, all that sodium will go down the drain after cooking.
- Do not add too much fat to your noodles. If you overthink imitation cheese will have it more delicious, then you are wrong. It will only have your dish look soggy.
- Also, stir your cooking noodles as well. This is to avoid the noodles from sticking together.
- The perfect way to know if your noodles are in an ideal al dente texture is by biting into the noodles itself. Do not use that old trick, which is cutting it using a spoon or smashing it into the wall. The wall won't tell you if it's firm or not. Besides, it doesn't seem sanitary at all.
- Keep some of your cooking water too. That holds a starchy flavor that you might use in your dressings.
- Do not rinse the pasta after cooking. Some thought that this method would prevent the noodles from cooking further. On the first hand, why would you hold back if it is already al dente? Just toss it right to the dressing and let it cook thoroughly on its heat.
- Some find it hard to measure how much of the noodles they will cook, depending on their guest's size. Well, our excellent tip for that is to cook per kilogram, not per cup. For five to eight persons, a kilogram is enough. Start the counting from there, and you're good to go.
- Ensure that you are at the perfect timing when adding the noodles to the boiling water. Adding too soon will make the noodles too soggy and clumpy. Also, this is another greatest sin to the eye of an Italian grandmother.
- A great spaghetti is born from the finest ingredients used. If you think you can hide the fact that you have skimped some of the elements to a low-quality ingredient, you are only deceiving yourself. This will reflect the taste of the dish, so be careful.
Best Served With
Spaghetti is one of the recipes that you can pair up in several different main recipes, such as listed below. The side dishes below will give the perfect information to make sure you enjoy recipes similar to this to the fullest.
- Meatballs - Meatballs are probably the most excellent companion of Spaghetti. You can have it by adding it to the sauce or have it separately. The chances of attracting kids with recipes similar to this are very high because of its appealing appearance. You can use pork or beef to create recipes identical to this.
- Fried Chicken - Spaghetti is always best paired with meat, especially fried broiler. You can never go wrong with this tandem. With coleslaw or gravy on the side-it spell heaven.
- Veggie Salad - creamy and saucy with the crunchy punch of the greens? Yes, we have it! Refreshing and zesty are the most excellent combos!
- Pizza - The pizza's saltiness combined with the Spaghetti's creaminess plus both scream cheese is just as thrilling a treat.
- Wine - Recipes similar to this usually go well with a glass of perfect wine on the side. Just choose the right beverage, and you're good to go. The ideal wine for recipes similar to this would be Zinfandel. If you don't select the right drink for recipes similar to this, it will make the spaghetti sauce taste bland.
- French Fries - in all famous fast-food chains in the Philippines, they always served their quick Spaghetti with regular fries on the side. Filipinos do love this combination because they always dip the fries into the Spaghetti's sauce. It may feel weird but believe us when we say that you should try it now.
- Soft drinks - Well, almost every dish partnered with soft drinks is a winner. The refreshing taste of that bubbly drink makes it so delicious with the Spaghetti. Also, the sweet and bubbling experience will mark an end for a delightful treat.
- Iced Tea - if you have enough soft drinks, this can be your alternative sweet drink.
- Italian Bruschetta Bar - once served at the table, it looks similar to a work of art. The excellent assembly of crusty slices of bread, prosciutto, herb cheese spread, sun-dried tomatoes, olive tapenade, and cornichon pickles looks similar to heaven in a cheeseboard. You can invite friends over to enjoy this wonderful treat, or you can just chill on your couch while watching your favorite series.
- No gluten cheese and cauliflower breadsticks - for those on a diet, you can opt to have this side. This will guarantee you less gluten content. The combination of cheese and cauliflower will surely drop a bomb of deliciousness in your tastebuds.
- Eggplant Pizza - Are you looking for a yummy veggie treat? Then this side dish is perfect for you. All you need to do is flatten out the eggplant, smother a cup of sauce, and tons of parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Bake this goodness and enjoy it.
- Tomato Salad with Grilled Halloumi and herbs - who wants a charred cheesy treat? This side dish is fantastic because of its grilled halloumi cheese. Wait until the grill marks appear on the halloumi cheese. Do not forget about the olive oil and lemon seasoned tomato. Also, grab a handful of basil and tear it to let that basil flavor explode once you eat it.
- Caprese Salad with grilled zucchini - want more tomato taste on this menu? Then you can prepare this side dish to elevate this menu even more. Prepare to assemble some tomato, basil, and mozzarella cheese. Also, do not forget about the grilled zucchini with a balsamic drizzle.
- Asparagus Caesar Salad - If you are craving for that loud crunch in every bite, this is an excellent choice for a side dish. Instead of using lettuce as the greens, alternate it with blanched asparagus. The tenderness of the Spaghetti will surely match with the crunchiness of the asparagus. Also, croutons will do the additional work in the crunch. Ensure that you will add a handful of mozzarella cheese to elevate the taste.
- Stuffed Eggplant - If you are more into the veggie side, this will surely catch your attention. All you need to do is hollow and roast the halved eggplant first, then stuff it with quinoa, fresh kale, and garlic-infused mushroom. Add tomato and mozzarella. We are sure that you are already drooling with this side dish. So what are you waiting for? Go ahead and prepare this together with your Spaghetti.
- Whole roasted carrots - This side dish will surely add up to a spaghetti dish's vibrant color. Not just color but to the nutritional content of Spaghetti. All you need to do is cook the carrots in the oven. Drizzle it with lemon-infused olive oil and herbs and enjoy.
- Family Style Broiler Caesar Salad - We know that broiler and Spaghetti go well together. Also, it is the same with caesar salad. So why not combine the salad and the broiler and pair it up with Spaghetti. Besides, you can make it in a second! Those who will give it a bite will not feel prepared swiftly because the taste and deliciousness are on point.
- Pepperoni Pizza Rolls - Have you ever experienced eating pizza but end up having stains because the pizza ingredients fall off to your outfit? If yes, we can only imagine the frustration you have been to. Others fold the pizza vertically to avoid this from happening. We have a solution for that. Behold! The Pepperoni Pizza Rolls. This is just a typical pizza. Only that it is in a roll shape, and they tuck the components in the dough. Say goodbye to those dripping dressings and olives. For sure, you will enjoy Spaghetti and this pizza to the fullest without the hassle.
- Mediterranean Roasted Artichokes - We know that Spaghetti is a dish that calls for a fantastic side dish. Good thing we have discovered that artichokes are a good match for dishes similar to this. In preparing this side dish, you need to wrap the artichoke in a foil then drizzle it with some garlic-dill vinaigrette. Seal the foil and then grill it. Once finished grilling, open it up, then tuck some feta cheese. What is great about this side dish is that you don't need to clean extra cooking wares because you used foil in cooking.
- Eggplant Parm Casserole - Would you prefer to have a side dish that is like a meal already? Then this side dish is perfect for you. Eggplant Parm Casserole is similar to a lasagna only that it uses eggplant as the base ingredient. The same process is used as well by stacking the sauce. The eggplant will serve as the noodle. The stack is similar to a lasagna!
- Herb Crusted Pork Cutlets - if you want a meaty crunch, then fry some of these. Just fry a cutlet covered in breadcrumbs and your herb of choice, and your good to go.
- Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Chicken - Earlier, we said that broiler is the soulmate of Spaghetti. No, this is another chicken side dish that you will love. It is manageable to make! Just stuff your broiler with spinach, herbs, salt and pepper, and mozzarella cheese. Drizzle in olive oil, then bake it! After that, enjoy it with your favorite spaghetti variant.
- Spring Panzanella Salad - this is a classic Italian salad that has chunks of bread in it. Usually, with Spaghetti, we prefer garlic bread or crusted bread to dip into Spaghetti's vibrant sauce. It is already a salad with asparagus, peas, watercress, scallions, and toasted bread. For sure, it will make you full in every spoonful.
- Cacio E Pepe Brussels Sprout - Who loves pepper and cheese? If you say yes, then you will love this side dish with your Spaghetti too. Here, the Brussel sprouts are smothered with butter, olive oil, and pecorino romano then grilled to perfection.
- Zucchini and Tomato Ragu - are you a fan of the famous movie Ratatouille? For sure, you have been dying to taste the dish, and it has changed the life of that young cook. Worry no more because you can have a taste of that with these zucchini and tomato ragu. T as the deconstructed Ratatouille. It has zucchini, of course, and summer spinach garnished with lots of mozzarellas and a runny egg.
- Kale Salad and Persimmons, Crispy Chickpeas, and Shallots - If you want something that has it all, this will end your search. It has all the taste you are looking for, from crunch to sweetness and acidity to freshness. Not just that, it is a great side dish, but it is packed with lots of nutritional benefits as well. This will surely make your Spaghetti a winning dish.
- Burrata Salad with Stone fruit and Asparagus - If you want a party in your mouth, then this is a great side dish for you. After a bite of that dazzling saucy Spaghetti, grab a spoonful of this burrata salad. You will be amazed at how the crunchy greens and vibrant peaches and plums will do magic with your taste buds. Also, s with a dash of garlic and a drizzle of olive oil. Sounds heaven, right?
- Rainbow Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta - we know that some kids don't want to eat veggies. It is also hard to impress these cute little bundles of joys with anything o that is nutritional. So, to ease up your burden, this Rainbow Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta might be your healthy partner with your kids. For sure, they will be amazed at how vibrant this side dish looks. Besides, the veggies appear to be sleeping in a fluffy bed of creamed ricotta. If they have devoured the whole plate in an instant, you can just make another batch in as quickly as 15 minutes.
- Chopped Italian Pizza Salad - who wants a sweet and spicy side dish? If you are craving for some, then go ahead and prepare this side dish. It is a salad and pizza at the same time packed with ricotta and microgreens.
Spaghetti has been a comforting treat since we were younger. Most people growing up had recipes similar to this served to them by their family's recipe sauce. Recipes similar to this are very dynamic where you can customize however you prefer. Others would choose it spicy, and others don't, some would love it creamy, and others would probably cut back on cheese and milk. That's how flexible recipes similar to this are.
The propensity of you perfecting recipes similar to this is very high because we provided lots of informative items that will surely benefit your kitchen venture. We would want to ensure that you will open lots of amazing recipes and recipes with articles of this kind.
We hope we did great in helping you have a different perspective with recipes similar to this. We hope we have guided you on making Spaghetti from a simple dish to a gourmet looking recipes' by tweaking your spaghetti sauce with spice, herbs, and other delicious ingredients.
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
Best Spaghetti Recipe
- 1 lb Spaghetti pasta
- 1 pc Onion large size, diced
- 2 tablespoon Cooking Oil
- 2 tablespoon Margarine
- 2 teaspoon Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 cup Ground Pork
- 2 pcs Brown Hotdog or Sausage large size, cut cubed
- 2 cups Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 9 cups Water
- 2 teaspoon Sugar
- ½ cup Grated Cheese
- In a large pot, pour 8 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Then put-in the salt and cooking oil.
- Add the Spahetti noodles and cook for 15 minutes or until tender. (see package for cooking time)
- After cooking, drain the pasta noodles and mix with margarine. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Sauté garlic and onion until brown then add the ground pork. Cook until pork gets brown.
- Sprinkle with black pepper and salt, then pour 1 cup water and cook for 5 minutes while covered.
- Put the hotdogs and tomato sauce, ketchup, sugar, and spaghetti sauce. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Then, add the pasta noodles on the pan and mix well together with the spaghetti sauce.
- Transfer onto a plate and put the grated cheese on top.
- Enjoy eating!