Snickerdoodles are sometimes heard as an expression of endearment by some foreign people, and it’s because this is a cookie or a sweet pastry.
Now, it is time that we get to know more about the snickerdoodle. Read on!
What Is Snickerdoodle?
It is a type of cookie made with butter or oil, sugar, and flour and then rolled in cinnamon sugar. Snickerdoodles are also called sugar cookies. They have a cracked surface and can be crispy or soft, depending on the variety.
Ways to Enjoy Snickerdoodle
If you both love Snickerdoodles and cheesecakes, then this is the best way to enjoy both on one recipe. The base of the cake will be the snickerdoodles with cinnamon sugar, topped with layers of beaten cream cheese.
For those who love cinnamon, this is the perfect bread for you. A bread that is topped with cinnamon sugar, and when you bite into it, you taste cinnamon chips in the middle for those crunchy bits. It is best served with butter or strawberry jam.
Healthy keto snickerdoodle
On a diet, but can’t get enough of these sugar cookies? Well, worry no more and enjoy a low-carb and gluten-free version of these snickerdoodles at home. Instead of using regular flour, you can replace them with almond flour, which is recommended for those who are watching their carb intakes.
Snickerdoodle Hot Chocolate
This is a drink that originated from Starbucks. Then it became so popular that a lot have copied the recipe or made their version of it. It’s a beverage made with steamed milk, white chocolate, and cinnamon syrup topped with whipped cream and cinnamon sugar. It is best served during cold weather.
For those who love the bread version, here comes a muffin one. If you don’t like biting into hard cookies, then the snickerdoodle muffins are for you. It is soft and tender with a cinnamon topping that will keep you wanting for more. Best served during a family picnic and you can enjoy it with a cup of coffee or tea.
How to Fix Your Snickerdoodles When Cooking it Wrong.
Baking is a whole lot different when it comes to cooking, so if anything goes wrong with the texture, shape and flavor, there is nothing we can do about it anymore, so we just recycle the stuff rather than throw them out.
Flat Snickerdoodles – This means the ratio of some of the ingredients were not measured well that it came out flat. I suggest that you enjoy the cookie as long as it doesn’t taste bad or fold them to make a more fluffy look.
The flavor did not come out well – again, we could no longer add any more ingredients if the flavor did not turn out great after cooking. Remaking it into other versions of snickerdoodles like snickerdoodle balls or pies will do the trick. It will still be your snickerdoodles even though it’s not in cookies form anymore.
Facts and Trivia About Snickerdoodles
Snickerdoodles are said to have originated from Dutch or Germany. It is said to be known as “snail cookies” – which I think are hard to believe since they don’t look like snails. It came from the word Schneckennudeln, which means ‘snail dumpling’ and then just evolved into Snickerdoodles due to the word being hard to pronounce.
Tips In Making Snickerdoodles
Here are some tips and tricks to make the best snickerdoodles and avoid baking bad ones since we cannot make an entire remedy into it once you make mistakes in cooking it.
- If you want to make your snickerdoodles puffy and soft, make sure that the ratio of butter to leavener to flour and egg are all correct and followed. Don’t use shortening so that the buttery flavor will not disappear. Also, under-baking the cookies will make it softer.
- Do not over crowd your pan when baking your snickerdoodles. They tend to expand so if you don’t want a flat snickerdoodle, make sure to have enough spaces in between them in the pan before putting them into the oven.
Best Served With
Cookies are often served as desserts or snacks and there are plenty of ways to enjoy Snickerdoodles with some of these foods that can be best paired with them.
- Hot Chocolate or Coffee – who wouldn’t love enjoying a sugary cookie with a hot cup of cocoa or coffee. It is best to enjoy this pairing as snacks or for breakfast.
- Butter or Cream Cheese – if you love some twist to your cookie you can top it with some butter or cream cheese. The salty taste of butter or cream cheese compliments that sweet taste of the cinnamon sugar together with that soft and crunchy cookie.
Best Snickerdoodle Recipe
- 1 1/2 Cup Cake flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar powder
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup Vegetable shortening
- 2 pcs Eggs
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Cinnamon powder
- In a bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon powder. Mix well and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, combine cake flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Mix well then set aside.
- Then put butter, vegetable shortening and sugar in a cake mixer. Put-in the egg. Mix for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, gradually pour the mixed flour in the cake mixer. Mix well for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Roll balls of dough in cinnamon and sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes in 375 degrees Fahrenheit, or until set but not too hard. Remove immediately from baking sheets.
- Eat, share and enjoy!