From birthdays, weddings, fiestas, holidays, and many more particular celebrations, you can often see tartar sauce on the table, at the center of different delicious fried foods. Who would not want to scoop in this very appealing and savory dip when it's slightly sour and delightful taste is beyond delectable?
In the Philippines, we have grown to love this foreign sauce because it perfectly complements our fried dishes. It is easy to make it, too. More and more Filipinos are giving it a try, and they are all loving the way it makes it more exciting to eat ordinary dishes. Do you want to be one of those who are willing to turn their hands to make a superb homemade tartar sauce? Well, read on.
What Is Tartar Sauce
There are many versions of Tartar Sauce, and they may come with different kinds of ingredients. As for a simple one, the things you need are mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, minced onion, lemon juice(optional), and salt and pepper to taste.
This condiment is made of mayonnaise and other ingredients added. There are many recipes for tartar sauce that differ from country to country, and to what individual dishes the people will pair them. Some add capers, lemon juice, and dill to the mayonnaise for an additional flavor and garnish. It is always perfectly served with fried dishes, fish, and other types of seafood.
"Tartar" was derived from the Turkish word "Tatar," a name for an ethnic group living in Tatarstan and the Volga-Ural region. However, there is no evidence to prove that the Tatars originated the condiment or ever dip in it. Its first appearance was known to be in East France, which the Tatars inspired. They were using this sauce in their steak tartare in the 1800s. However, this origin is still not that definite as similar types existed way back in the 1600s.
Tartar sauce is very famous all over the world. It is commonly used as salad dressing, burger dressing, dips for crispy chips, and fried dishes like fish, pork, and chicken fillets. It goes well with crabs and other plates of seafood, too.
This particular sauce recipe can be bought in the local grocery stores and can last up to six (6) long months after opening, as long as you keep it inside the refrigerator in an airtight container. But if you want, you can do it at home, too. Typically, homemade tartar sauce can last up to two to three weeks, depending on how well you keep it and how fresh the ingredients you used.
Ways To Make The Best Homemade Tartar Sauce
Making dips is one of the quickest things to do when you cook meals for your family. It is usually made last and very uncomplicated to prepare. Because you will only need to finely chop the ingredients to be used in your homemade dip, it is often made final, right after cooking the main dish. However, this particular dip recipe gives you another layer of tasteful and smooth delicious goodness when slightly chilled and refrigerated. It enhances the taste of what you dip in it more, thus giving you a more delightful dining experience.
There are two excellent and ideal ways to prepare and have the best tartar sauce right inside your kitchen. These two are by manually whipping or mixing the mayonnaise with the other ingredients, and the other one is by using a blender or processor to do the job for you.
By manually mixing all the ingredients
If you happen not to have a food processor to mix the ingredients easily or you have so much time left in your hands to prepare this particular delightful recipe, you may opt to make it by hand.
The procedure in making this good dip recipe is so simple. You only have to separate the egg yolks from the egg white. Then combine the egg yolks with vinegar, mustard, enough mayonnaise, and a small amount of oil. Whisk them forcefully for several minutes until the mixture emulsifies and becomes thick enough for your liking. Then, add sweet, finely chopped pickles, dills, salt, pepper, minced onions, and lemon juice. If it happened to be so thick for your preference, you might opt to add a small amount of warm water to adjust it, and then whisk it again until you reach the consistency that you desire. You can garnish it with parsley or dill, which improves its appearance and adds a tangy flavor to the delicious dip.
By using a food processor or blender
Even if preparing this delightful dip is already quick and uncomplicated, the use of a blender or food processor will significantly minimize your effort to mix all the ingredients. For the blender, it is advisable to use an immersion blender. But if you have none, a regular blender will do.
You will need a cup of mayonnaise, finely chopped capers, dills, gherkins, parsley, and chives to pull off this easy recipe. You must also have lemon or lime juice on your ingredient list. So let's start making this dip recipe effortlessly!
First, you have to put all the ingredients (dills, capers, chives) inside the electric device, but do not add the lemon or lime juice. Blend it for several minutes, or until you think the sauce's smoothness and creaminess enough for your taste preference. When the consistency is already right for you, add the citrus juice gradually. It is to ensure that your finished dip will not be too sour. When you think the sourness is perfect already, add the other seasonings like salt and pepper. After mixing or blending again, put it inside a tightly closed container and refrigerate for at least an hour so you can taste the most out of it.
Recipe Variations of the Best Tartar Sauce
It may be only a sauce, but we do know that sometimes they are the life of a simple dull, bland dish. They also add flavor to those dishes, making you have a fuller and satisfying meal. Depending on what you prefer or what needs to be included in your diet, you can vary your sauce and enjoy it in different luscious ways.
Here are many recipe versions of this featured dip that you can choose from and savor with your family and loved ones.
Vegan Variation of Recipe
If you are a vegetarian, there is no problem if you want tartar sauce. Even after you savor it, you would not have a guilty feeling. You only have to replace your regular mayonnaise with a healthy and vegan one; some are soy-based. Vegan mayonnaise is readily available at local convenience and grocery stores. But if the store near does not sell one, you can try creating a vegan mayo. However, if you also do not know how to start a vegan mayo from scratch, read on, and we will teach you.
In making a vegan mayonnaise, you will need only a few ingredients. The list includes unsweetened soy milk, apple cider vinegar, vegetable oil or sunflower oil, and salt to taste. The unsweetened soy milk will act as the emulsifier that will thicken the mixture's consistency the way you like it.
If you happen to have an immersion blender, it will be easier for you to mix it well. You only have to put all these ingredients and combine them inside the said blender. Pulse the blender until it emulsifies or when you think that the consistency is already perfect. However, if what you have is an ordinary blender, the process is easy, too. You have to put all the ingredients inside the blender, but not the vegetable oil or sunflower oil. Blend it for approximately 5 to 7 seconds, then pour a small amount of all from time to time while the blender is on mixing them until the consistency of your vegan mayo is already what you want.
Now that you already have a vegan mayo, it is now the time to make the sauce itself. Put the finely chopped dills, parsley, chives, salt, pepper, onions (if you prefer), pickle relish, and dill in your blender. Then mix all the ingredients thoroughly using this electric kitchen appliance. Then gradually add the lemon or lime juice while it is blending. This citrus flavoring will add another layer of lusciousness to the vegan dip. When the sauce already tastes the way you expected it to be, transfer it to a container and consume it immediately. But if you want to savor it better, we advise you to refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour to enhance its taste and flavor further.
You already have your vegetarian version of this very savory dip. It is now indeed healthier, more decadent, and more delicious. Additionally, its consistency is perfect, and most importantly, it is now cholesterol-free.
Keto Variation of Recipe
The ketogenic or keto diet is very famous for those who want to lose and improve their weight. When you undergo a keto diet, you consume meals low in carbs but high in fat. The meals you will be eating must be only based on meats, fatty fish, butter, nuts, creams, unprocessed cheese, healthy oils like avocado oil, coconut oil, and olive oil. Avocados, eggs, and low carb vegetables like tomatoes are good options, too. This type of diet is perfect for people who are overweight and have diabetes.
This version of our highlighted recipe is perfect for the diet of those watching their carbs intake. And if you are one of them, let us now get started.
First of all, you have to buy low carb mayonnaise as it is our main ingredient. There is low carb mayo available at some local grocery stores. But if you cannot find one, you do not have to worry because you can create your keto mayonnaise easily and with no hassle.
You will need eggs, olive oil, mustard, ground black pepper, salt, and vinegar for the low carb mayo. The first thing to do is to put all these ingredients except the olive oil inside your blender or processor, Then blend them for 3 to 5 minutes or until they are all mixed well. Then gradually pour the oil while the blender is mixing. Putting the oil all at once will ruin your output's consistency, so keep that in mind. When the texture is already not too thick or not too thin for you, add the low carb salt and pepper according to your taste preference. By the way, the vinegar is what you will add to the mixture if it happens to be too thick.
Once you have made your low carb mayo, you can now make the actual tartar sauce. In the blender or food processor, place the finely chopped dills and unsweetened cucumber pickles. Blend for at least 3 minutes and keep in an airtight container. Keep it inside the refrigerator because it can last up to 3 weeks if properly preserved.
Non-fat Tartar Sauce Recipe
Fat-free tartar sauce is recommended for fat-restricted diets. To make this variation of our featured dip, you have to buy low fat, dairy-free, or non-fat mayonnaise. There are a lot of them available in leading supermarkets. But if you want to be sure that your mayo is dairy-free, you may opt for a homemade mayo to prepare yourself.
It would be advisable to have a DIY low to non-fat mayonnaise: plain yogurt, cider vinegar, yellow mustard, white pepper, salt, and paprika. You will only place them inside the blender and mix until it reaches your desired texture and consistency.
When you are done with the mayo, put the finely chopped parsley flakes, sweet pickle relish, dills, minced onions, and a hot pepper sauce. Blend it again until you are satisfied with the taste. Do not forget to put it inside an airtight container and refrigerate to last longer.
Even if tartar sauce is very well known in the Philippines as a dip for delicious kinds of seafood, chips, and fried dishes, there are still things that you might not know yet about this very tasteful treat. Some of these surprising things are:
- Tartar sauce will thicken more when placed inside the fridge. The longer it stays there, the more the natural flavor of its components will enhance, and the more it will taste delicious as a dip for your fried dishes.
- This featured dip will only vary depending on the type of mayonnaise used. There are keto, non-fat or low fat, vegan and reduced-calorie mayonnaises that you can choose from that depend on your diet.
What Are The Ingredients To Make The Best Tartar Sauce Recipe
There are many versions of Tartar sauce, and they may come with different kinds of ingredients. These ingredients are what make it delicious and savory. So, to achieve that incredible taste you are aiming for your dip, make sure that the elements you use are all fresh, healthy, and ideal for your diet restrictions. As for a simple one, the things you need are mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, minced onion, lemon juice(optional), mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.
Mayonnaise is a condiment that is soft, creamy and has an excellent texture. Purely, it can be used as spreads for sandwiches dressed with hams and vegetables. Some fun facts about mayonnaise are:
- Mayonnaise is the main ingredient in making our featured delicious dip. It is the core ingredient of our featured dip and will determine the success of the mixture. However, you can make your mayonnaise to match your diet restrictions. The elements you need to create a homemade mayo are egg yolks, vegetable oil, lemon juice or vinegar, and mustard. You can also add salt for it to taste.
- The term "mayonnaise came from the French word "moyeu," which means egg yolk. This word origin explains the reason why egg yolk is the main component in making the mayonnaise.
- Commercial mayonnaise lasts longer than the homemade ones as they were made from pasteurized eggs.
Sweet Pickle Relish
Typically, a pickled relish is made of finely chopped veggies that are eaten in small quantities only. They add another flavor to any dish by its texture and unique taste. An example of relish is the sweet pickle relish that is one of our homemade dip ingredients.
- You can create sweet pickled relish out of chopped cucumber, onions, red cabbage, piccalilli, dills, and courgettes.
- In the United States, they celebrate National Pickles Day every 14th of November. The "pickle" refers to pickled cucumber.
- Shakespeare was the first person to use the phrase "in a pickle" in his stage play "The Tempest."
- Pickle relish is typically sweet and sour.
Tartar sauce usually includes minced onions in most of its recipes. You can use green onions, red onions, sweet onions, or white variation. The type you will be using will only rely on what taste of onion you prefer and what kind of diet you are following.
- Red onion - If you want that peppery or spicy taste in your homemade dip, go for this variant. It is perfect for salads and sandwiches that make them look more appealing and delicious because of its vibrant color.
- Sweet onion - this type of onion is what you should opt for and use if you prefer a mild flavor with a slight sweetness touch.
- White Onions - you can go for this variation of onions if you want a strong taste but do not want to have an aftertaste after eating. They are mostly caramelized and are great for making tartar sauce.
A tartar sauce can go with or without mustard sauce. However, including mustard to the ingredients list adds a distinct flavor that makes the dip more delicious and delightful. Here are some surprising things you might not know about this flavor condiment, with all that being said.
- The term mustard came from the Old French term "moustarde," originally from the Latin word "mustum."
- Mustards come in different types: white, yellow, brown, and black. The White or yellow mustard is from the Mediterranean, while the brown variation is also known as the Indian mustard. The black mustards, on the other hand, come from Europe and some parts of Asia.
Lemon or Lime Juice
Lemon or lime juice is usually added last in making delightful tartar sauce. It is poured gradually while the blender is mixing the mayonnaise with other ingredients. It adds zests and tangy flavor to the dip itself, and it also thins down the consistency if ever your output becomes too thick for your liking.
Troubleshooting Your Sauce
It may seem easy to prepare, but sometimes if we are not too careful and cautious in making this sauce, anything could go wrong, and the outcome may affect how bad both the sauce and the dish partnered with it may taste.
So, for that reason, here are some troubleshooting guides you may opt to consider and follow if you need to save your dip.
Sauce too sour or tangy
It is quite awful if your favorite dip turned out to be too sour or tangy for your taste preference. It may be because you over poured lemon or lime juice in your mixture, or you have put too much vinegar. Whichever the case, improve its taste by adding a little sugar to counteract its tanginess. Alternatively, you can add more sweet pickle relish and dills to do the trick and save the dish for you. Thank us later. (Insert wink emoticon here.)
If the sauce is too thin
In making tartar sauce in which mayonnaise is the main ingredient paired with pickled veggies like dills or cucumbers, it is ubiquitous to encounter this dilemma. When it, unfortunately, happens to you, do not be disheartened as you still can save this recipe.
Since you already added too much oil and lemon juice, that is the main reason why it became too thin, and you cannot take them back. But, do not worry, we got you. All you have to do is add more mayonnaise and blend it again using your blender or food processor. But not too much! Learn your lesson of not adding too much ingredient to your recipe. Mixing too much mayonnaise can lead to your sauce becoming too thick, and you also don't want that, for sure. Minimize the amount of the condiments you will be putting in so you would not ruin your dip more.
If the sauce is too thick
On the other hand, your sauce turning out too thick for your liking is another kitchen mishap you might experience while making this dip. But just like the other troubles that you might encounter, we have a solution for that. You will only add more lemon or lime juice into your mayonnaise and other ingredients' mixture. You may also opt to add oil to even the sauce's thickness, softness, and texture. Additionally, you can also add white vinegar to thin down the consistency. But remember, adding liquids to your mixture may cause it to thin down too much, so pour at your own risk and with extra caution.
Tips and Tricks in Making Homemade Tartar sauce
Making mistakes, especially when you are in your kitchen experimenting with a new recipe you would like to treat your family is undoubtedly inevitable. However, it would be advisable and ideal if you never were discouraged when you commit one because with that, you learn by experience, and from then on, you will try to avoid doing that.
But why will you wait for yourself to commit errors and miscalculations in doing this recipe when you can prevent it in the first place? Troubleshooting recipes is not fun, and never it will be because it creates anxiety and pressure within the cooking person's mind. And because prevention is always better than cure (yes, it is very cliche), here are some tips you may opt to follow to avoid kitchen mishaps from ruining your supposedly delicious and savory dishes.
- There may be many versions of this delicious recipe, but the ideal way to prepare it is not to overmix or undermix the ingredients. Overmixing may cause it to be too sour or too thick, and that is something you would not like for your dip. On the other hand, undermixing the components might make the consistency too runny or too bland. And that is also something unsatisfactory.
- Follow a recipe if it is your first time making this dip. It will save you from mistakes and miscalculations big time. It will also ensure that your dip will be a success, even if it is just your first time making it.
- Do not put the spices and seasoning all out in one pour. Gradually add them, then have a taste of it to know if it already tastes savory enough for you. This tip will help you in adjusting the flavor of the dip according to your taste preference.
- Do not substitute sweet relishes and dill; your dip would not be a Tartar Sauce without them. They add that tangy flavor to the dip, so keep that in mind.
- Use an immersion blender in mixing the ingredients and mayonnaise for a better and quicker homemade dip. It improves the consistency and the texture of the mayo that is good for dips and dressings. But if you do not have one, you can use the ordinary blender or food processor instead. They will lessen the effort you will be exerting, too.
- Use the freshest and the excellent quality ingredients for your tartar sauce. Doing so will turn your recipe to taste better and last longer than you ever expected. It will also ensure that you will not get foodborne diseases out of the ingredients that are not fresh.
Other Good Recipes Or Food Best To Serve With
Sauces and condiments are mostly known to turn any simple dish into a fantastic and tasty one. Certain foods do not taste as delicious as when they are not dipped in Tartar sauce. Well, that is no surprise since this particular recipe undoubtedly adds another layer of soft texture and tangy flavor to any dish paired with it.
Here are some individually delectable treats that will not just be more lively but extra delicious too once partnered with our highlighted dip. Make sure to try these some time because we are very confident that you will love them as much as we do.
- Fish Fillet – well, since some fish fillets do not have any flavor or more often taste a little bit bland, the ideal way to enjoy fish fillet is with some dips to a delicious tartar sauce. You would enjoy the crispy taste of the fillet when dipped in it. Giving you such unexplainable delightful goodness
- Fish Cake - The crispy looking fish cake coated with bread crumbs fried perfectly is much more delicious when served with tasty tartar sauce. This combination of fish cake and our dip is something that your kids will love, primarily when you give it to them during a lazy afternoon snack time.
- Chips - Your favorite chips for snacks dipped in a sour cream tartar sauce is so perfect! The crispy bites of the chips blend completely with the soft texture of our highlighted dish. They can be your comfort meal treat in a light night movie marathon with your family and loved ones.
- French Fries – yes, instead of the usual ketchup, some people prefer it with Tartar Sauce. It is a perfect dip for those crispy fries that we love. Finger licking good, indeed!
- Burger - the creamy consistency of our featured dip is perfect for dressing for different types of burgers. It just goes well with any meaty patty with tomatoes, caramelized onions, cheese, and leaf lettuce.
- Sandwiches - Any sandwich dressed with lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and tartar sauce is for sure mouth-watering. You can also add ham in the sandwich to make it more remarkably tasty, perfect for your kids' take out snacks for school.
- Crabs - The crab's slight sweetness paired with this featured dip's delightful goodness and creaminess is undoubtedly one for the books! Imagine munching it in your mouth together is such a luxurious experience you will always crave.
- Chicken strips - Can you imagine dipping your chicken strips deep into our luscious dip that has an immensely soft texture? It will give you that extra tanginess that will further enhance the already delicious chicken meat! Oh, so yummy!
- Baked potato - in place of sour cream, the baked potato will also be a perfect match for our featured dip. It will taste even better if the baked potato is still hot because its softness will complement the dip's texture.
- Roasted vegetables - Because the vegetables are naturally bland, eating them with our dip is highly recommendable. It will add delicious flavor to your veggies that will let you ask for more.
- Beer-battered fried shrimp - One of the best ways to savor the ever delicious shrimp is by combining it with a better batter. And when you're done making a beer-battered fried shrimp, having it with our super delightful dip will undeniably make you feel like you are floating on a cloud nine. Especially when the dip completely blends with the crispy fried shrimp, oh so savory, you need to remind yourself you're on a diet!
- Cordon Bleu - Of course, you already know how delectable is the cordon bleu coated with bread crumbs that are deep-fried and served while still hot and crunchy. The cheese in its center melting right in front of you when it is sliced looks already delicious; how much more when it is savored with our equally delightful dip. It would be ideal for you to write your name on a paper before consuming it, as you might forget it later because of its super tastiness.
- Crispy fried nuggets - The nuggets, whether made with fish, pork, chicken, or beef, are indeed palatable, especially for the kids. When it is crispy fried and served with our luscious dip, it will indeed taste flavorful and delicious. This combination is perfect for children's parties or even just lunch out of the kids.
Best Tartar Sauce Recipe
Tartar sauce is one of the most famous dips worldwide, and it is indeed popular for a reason. Ultimately, that is because of its slightly tangy yet sweet taste that blends perfectly with fried seafood, chips, and other crispy fried dishes. You will be mesmerized by how easy you can prepare this super delicious dip!
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of sweet pickle relish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise and sweet pickle vigorously.
Tips: You can use a blender or food processor to mix it more effortlessly.
- Stir in lemon or lime juice gradually.
Tips: Gradually pour the lemon or lime juice to ensure that the consistency will not be too thin or runny for your liking.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. This particular dip tastes better when refrigerated or chilled.
When you create something out of love and affection for your family, it will reflect your dishes' taste. The same thing goes when you prepare this particular recipe. Once you master this featured recipe, your kids, friends, and loved ones will undoubtedly love this with all their hearts. And that is probably one of your main goals every time you prepare something to eat on the table.
Continue giving smiles to the faces of your loved ones by serving them only the superb, healthy, and delicious recipes. Visit eatlikepinoy.com for more treats they will appreciate and love. 'Till your next cooking journey, ciao!
Best Tartar Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Sweet pickle relish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, and sweet pickle relish, Stir in lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.