Are you looking for an ideal Sunday night dinner that is less-stressful to prepare while not sacrificing the taste? Chuck steak Pot Roast will always be one of the most comforting and delicious dinner options to finish a very long day with and that your family will surely love. Hence, learning how to cook braised chuck steak will always rescue every family bonding.
One thing that makes this dish one of a kind is that it can stand on its own. What we mean by that is that it can make a one-dish meal because it is complete with meat, vegetables, and perfectly savory gravy! Everyone can agree on this timeless classic.
Learning how to make braised chuck steak entirely takes great skill as it is not your simple meat-based dish that you can just whip up. Pot roast is an overview of the method used to prepare the meal. A braised chuck steak is tender, juicy, and stick-to-the-bones sumptuous; otherwise, it won’t qualify as one.
Well, enough with the chit chat as we are indeed making you hungry now, and let’s proceed to the real deal.
What Are Chuck Steak Pot Roast Recipes All About
Braised Beef is a variant of a braised chuck steak dish. Generally, this is made through browning a cut of chuck steak then having it slow-cooked together with some vegetables and gravy.
In the United States, the dish is called “Yankee Pot Roast,” and the locals often serve it with carrots, whole onions, potatoes simmered in cooking gravy. Braised Beef is of French origin, as it is an American variant of the boeuf a la mode. However, through the German Americans and American Jews, this modern variant that we know today is brought to North America.
Meanwhile, German immigrants in Pennsylvania prepared marinated roasts and sauerbraten, oiled and slow-cooked for rich flavors and tender meat. Additionally, in other parts of the US, such as in New Orleans, another type of braised chuck steak, namely, the daube, paved its way to popularity.
Moreover, the Caribbeans have Boliche. It is a Cuban braised beef dish made of eye round braised chuck steak stuffed with ham. The Cubans cook the meal with olive oil, water, onions, and potatoes, then simmered until soft.
For clarity, one might ask, “why is there pot roast when you can simply have roast beef?” The difference between the two is that the former is cooked in liquid, while the latter is braised dry. You can simmer pot roast in water, broth, stock, or red wine.
Ways To Cook Timeless Pot Roast Recipes
The Instant Pot is the brand name of the cooking tool to be used in this dish. It is almost similar to the pressure cooker, only that this one is digital and more convenient to use. The braised beef -instant pot is a technique you can employ for the most effortless cleanup, and it will come out surprisingly tender.
Since we mentioned the dish-cleaning part, you can make the job easier by removing the brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan right after cooking the pot roast. Further, instant pot can do multitasking, as you can fully utilize your cooking instrument by doing the “pot-in-pot” method. The said technique allows you to use egg racks to place your pot of rice on top of your chuck steak pot roast so you can cook them simultaneously.
The use of instant pot works well when you are cooking a small pot roast. Besides, it is preferable to use the “Keep Warm” mode to slow braise the Instant Pot’s beef.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipes
The slow cooker braised beef uses the slow-cooking method in the last part of the cooking process. Sear the beef in a large skillet and stir fry the vegetables until brown before being put in the slow cooker to simmer the gravy. A recipe cooked in a slow cooker tastes perfectly amazing.
The slow cooker is the downgraded version of the crockpot. You can still achieve the same cooking results of a chuck steak pot roast slow-cooker method, but you have to exert more effort and pay more attention when cooking. This slow cooker will surely make your dish tender.
Why is this so? A slow cooker transmits heat only from the bottom of the pot; thus, you have to check on it and frequently stir to avoid burnt meat concentrated at the bottom of your cooking device.
Before we move to the next way of cooking dishes like this, we would like to highlight the benefits of using this kind of equipment in your daily cooking, especially for dishes like this.
First, if you have a slow cooker at home, you would love to cook every dish in mind. In that event, it will lessen the chances of patronizing takeouts and deliveries, which we all know are not healthy in the long run. Also, you will be able to plan and budget your weekly meals. Running the kitchen is a different level of achievement that we all want to unlock. In this sense, this equipment is a must-have.
Another great thing about a slow cooker is that you can put all the ingredients inside, set it up, and just leave it until done. While it is cooking on its own, you can do other things. This is perfect for moms, working professionals, especially those working at home, and students.
Aside from that, a slow cooker is useful all year long. If you think that it is for soups and gravies only, the perfect thing is that you are browsing this article because we will enlighten you with the magic of equipment like this. Besides soups and stocks, you can also do other dishes requiring tenderizing, like pulled pork and the likes.
If you’re craving pulled steaks but can’t afford to buy those high-quality cuts of steaks, a slow cooker will be your friend because it can tenderize almost all types of meat. Also another benefit is that it extracts the maximum flavor from the meat that you are using. In this event, you can ensure that the meat’s original taste will be evident in every bite of any dish that you are going to cook.
If you also want to have more significant savings, this equipment is the one. It consumes less electricity than an oven. We know that you are excited to grab your equipment. In that case, we would like to give more tips on how to use and what type suits your kitchen.
In buying this kind of equipment, know that there are variations from sizes to settings. Some equipment has 2-3 settings. The low setting will cook your meal for six to ten hours, while the high setting will be okay in four to six hours. The technique that makes it even more efficient is to cook in a high setting for the first hour then change to a low setting in the remaining hours of preparation.
You should also consider the amount of your daily cooking in buying this kind of equipment. Small sizes can take up to 7 quarts and are perfect for making sauces and chips. On the other hand, larger sizes are suitable for recipes with larger meats and soup making. In terms of headcount, smaller sizes can serve up to four persons, while the larger can cater to five or more.
We won’t leave you by just recommending which to buy. We will also give you some tips about how to maintain your equipment.
- In cleaning your equipment, make sure to rib it with a non-stick cooking spray or use a paper towel with a little sparkle of oil.
- Thaw meat first before cooking it using this type of equipment. If not, frozen meat will increase the cooking time needed. In this scenario, you will not achieve the desired tenderness and flavor that you are aiming for.
- Always follow the equipment’s cooking requirements. Regarding water level, always follow that one because it is a factor to consider in achieving the desired flavor and tenderness.
- Also, follow this friendly tip: veggie at the bottom and meat on top. This is because the vegetables cook faster than meat. This type of equipment has the principle of simple physics. Hot air on top and cold air at the bottom. Simple physics worth remembering.
- Make sure to follow the liquid requirement of recipes’ instructions. This is to ensure the flavor of the recipes that you are cooking will be spot on.
- Start with a high setting for the first hour of cooking time and finish with a low setting. This will ensure maximum tenderness on your meat.
- Never remove the lid unless it reaches the declared cooking time. Removing the cover too early removes 15 minutes of the cooking time required. Thus, your meat will not cook to perfection. Patience is a virtue, especially in cooking.
- Do not add pasta inside the equipment. If you do, you will make your pasta overcooked and soggy. Just add it separately to secure its al dente texture.
- Add your milk, cheese, or cream at the end of the preparation. This is to avoid curdling of these components.
- Also, add your soft vegetables at the end of the cooking time to ensure its freshness and crispness.
Also, there are different ways of serving slowly cooked recipes like this. Check out the following.
Machaca Dip Sandwiches – that melt in the mouth meat match perfectly with a soft pair of buns or slice of bread. The taste of cumin, chili powder, and spicy chipotle pepper will amaze you spice craving taste buds.
Tangy Barbeque Sandwich – looking for a smoky beef approach to recipes like this? The search is over with this Tangy Barbecue Sandwich. You can also use the leftovers for pies.
Enchiladas – grab your tortillas and bake them to perfection. Stuff it with slowly cooked beef recipes like this and garnish with lettuce and tomatoes. This piece of heaven will surely make you want to grab another piece.
Dilly Sandwiches – that sour taste from dill pickles matches the savory flavor of beef recipes like this. Make sure to serve extra dill pickles on the side if someone wants to chew more of it out of the bun.
Shredded Green Chiles and Chuck – If you are craving a Texas and Mexican flavor in one, then this is the perfect beef serving for you. The tenderness of the beef that is spicy, juicy, and served with mashed potatoes or rice is a match made in heaven.
Shredded Burrito Filling – Who wouldn’t love a good serving of tortillas and cheese? Also, add up some salsa, sour cream, chopped jalapeños, onions, and tomatoes. This is undoubtedly a bunch of beef happiness on a plate. If you hate having a big bite of a burrito, you can always opt to have it served naked! Aside from that, you can also transform this into a bean burrito if you like.
Hominy Chili – good recipes like this go well with diced tomatoes, green chilies, and then serve it with warm tortillas or tortilla chips dipping. This is perfect for hangouts or while watching an excellent movie with friends.
Chipotle Carnitas – Just the sound of the name of recipes like this makes your mouth water. You can also use the leftover recipes like this in making savory pies.
Philly Cheese Sandwich – Are you craving a cheesy delicious? Recipes like this are heaven-sent to anyone’s grumbling stomach. You opt to cheese American cheese or pepper jack cheese. Both are good to use in recipes like this, or if you like, you can use both in moderation.
Beef Pot Roast In Crockpot
The crockpot has been used as a term to refer to most types of slow cooker pot roasting equipment, but the thing is, you cannot use them interchangeably. Because actually, the crockpot is a type of a slow-cooker, only that this one is an upgraded version.
The wonderful thing about this “set it and forget it” gadget for your Perfect Cooker Pot Roast is that you have nothing to worry about when cooking. You can evenly cook the meal since the heat comes from the top, bottom, and sides of the pot.
This tool is perfect for tenderizing meats that require slow cooking. The taste of the braised chuck steak in the crockpot will be almost as similar as the instant pot version, but with more flavors, and expect a more tender (almost corned beef shred) beef texture. This version is suitable for older people and for those who want a healthier but tastier outcome.
The outcome of slow cooking in a crockpot is meat so soft and savory that it melts in your mouth. Expect the vegetables to be mushy and moist too. Plus, the broth is like a thick and creamy gravy.
This version is excellent for pairing rice as saucier than other variants made by other cooking methods.
Recipes version using Pressure Cooker
The chuck steak pot roast cooked in pressure cooker variety is your recourse when you don’t have an instant pot. The cooking result is almost similar to the instant pot version, but this will require you more effort and additional patience. In terms of usability and technology, the pressure cooker is considered out of the game because this kitchen tool is usually subject to an explosion, unlike the instant pot with designed safety mechanisms.
Nevertheless, if you are adept at using a pressure cooker and not a first-timer, we recommend using it, especially if you want to achieve tender chunk chops for your dish.
Recipes version using an Oven
Most of us might be familiar with the oven cooked pot roast chuck steak as it is the most common means of preparation for the Chuck Steak Pot Roast. To make an Oven Pot Roast Chuck Steak, brown the meat in a pan first before tossing it along with other ingredients and liquid mixture in the (165 degrees C) oven.
You can use aluminum foil to retain food moisture, cook the chuck steak evenly in the oven, and solely for efficient cleanup.
What Is The Perfect Gravy For Pot Roast Recipes
Your Chuck Steak Pot Roast would be plain B-O-R-I-N-G without its historic signature gravy. There is just something in its sauce that makes the character of the dish. Hence, we’re left with the question: “What makes the chuck steak pot roast gravy?”
The most important thing to identify first is the mood that you like to achieve for dinner. Your sauce depends on the type of pot roast you wish to make and the drink or food you will serve. The sauce you will use for the pot roast will set the “culinary color scheme” of your dinner.
Thus, if you will go for an oven pot roast, it is advisable to use red wine as a sauce base because it is perfect to pair this dish with red wine. However, if you serve your roast with mashed potato or rice, you better prepare the saucy and flour-based variant as you have something to pour the gravy.
Troubleshooting Tips For Recipes Like This
It sucks when such a feel-good food such as the Chuck steak Pot roast will be a stress source. We all want to avoid having an overcooked chuck steak that is rubbery and tough to chew. However, glitches do happen, and the kitchen is not an exception.
Fret not, as here are some troubleshooting remedies that you can do to rescue your Chuck Steak Pot Roast from ruining your mood.
Every recipes secret: The Magic of Wine
Simmer it with acid. Wine qualifies as an acid ingredient, which aids in tenderizing the chuck steak’s outer part and supplements lost flavor. The wine-based sauce will also help retain the chuck steak pot roast’s moisture while being saved from being overcooked.
Overcooked Recipes? Worry No More
One way is to make it easily ingestible. Shred the overcooked chuck steak and toss it in the gravy sauce.
Recipes are Perfect with Fresh Ingredients
If you worry about the freshness and the flavors that will be compromised when you follow the previous advice, you can turn your Chuck Steak Pot Roast into a stew or a soup. To do so, add some fresh vegetables like broccoli and more potatoes, then pour in some generous scoops of mushroom soup.
Thawing a Frozen Slab
Freezing meat is a must, especially when you will not use it when you have bought it. What is excellent about frozen meat is that it locks in the fresh nutrients that it has.
To thaw a slice of frozen meat, we do not advise throwing it in water to unfreeze it. It is better to cut it into pieces the way you want it while it is still frozen. In that way, it will be easier to slice it.
Another way of thawing the meat is to put it into the chiller and let it slowly unfreeze.
Make it even more Flavorful
To ensure that recipes like this will be flavorful in every bite, you can marinate or rub the meat with oyster sauce or Worcestershire sauce. You can add garlic, salt, pepper, or any herb you want to add, depending on your preference.
Set aside overnight or even for just an hour just to let the flavor sip into its insides. After the marinating time, you can use the marinating sauce as its actual sauce in cooking. We assure you that the flavors will be a bomb once it’s finished.
To make your meat even juicier, do not remove any fat from the meat. While it is cooking, the heat will gradually melt. Also, it serves as a coat for the meat protecting the juiciness of the meat. Other than that, it is healthier to keep it as well because it serves as a natural oil for cooking.
Keeping Harmful Bacterias Away
To keep harmful bacterias away, you shouldn’t let the meat reach room temperature before cooking. Once removed from the refrigerator, cook the meat instantly. Also, room temperature meat is harder to slice because it follows the knife’s movement when it is completely thawed and at room temperature.
Calories In Pot Roast
If you don’t like to go on a guilt trip every time you indulge in the pot roast, you should be mindful of the chuck steak pot roast’s calories. The chuck steak dish consists of 584kcal, which you can burn through one hour of jogging and a methodical five mph of a 12-minute mile pace.
Moreover, a serving of your favorite dinner meal has 39g Protein. This helps muscle building; 612mg Potassium for muscle control; 1g Fiber for eased digestion; 31IU Vitamin A for optical health; 1mg Vitamin C to boost your immunity; and 5mg Iron for anemia prevention.
Since we are tackling calories in recipes like this, we will give you insights into it. Some variants of recipes like this are perfect for those who have an eye for their diet.
Keto and Low Carb Version – in this variant, the meat is the star. Even though diets like this uses white meat, let us adjust it with other recipes like this.
To ensure its dietary mafic, make sure that the meat you are going to use is grass-fed. This is to ensure that the meat is organic. You can also change the potatoes and other carbohydrate-rich components with alternative veggies relatively low in carbohydrates. You can substitute it with turnips, mushrooms, and cauliflowers. The flavor will be slightly different, but it will still be just as delicious as the original.
How Long Does It Take It Cook Pot Roast Recipes
One should be well aware of how long to cook a chuck steak pot roast. This delicious meal comes with a price, a price of time. It will take approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes to cook this dish. The good thing is that you can prepare the dessert and other side dishes while you wait for the chuck steak dish to cook as it won’t demand your full attention anyway.
Did you know that braising is the term for the way of cooking recipes like this? In this method, first, you need to brown the meat’s edges by pan-searing it until the desired color appears. Then you will cook. It low and slow in your preferred cooking equipment. You can transform it into a complete meal by adding vegetables like potatoes, celery, onion, parsley, etc.
Tips – Perfect meat for Beef Pot Roast
One significant factor that will determine whether you make or break your dish is the right cut of chuck steak that you should use. Thus, it leads us to ask, “what part and cut of chuck steak we should use for pot roast.”
Pot roast is by the time and temperature that make up the process. The cooking process allows for the meat to be roasted and cooked under low heat for such a long period. Hence, this makes the tough meats the best cut of chuck steak for pot roast for the following reasons:
These hard cuts are lean parts with a high amount of connective tissue with little fat content.
When cooked for a long time, the rich collagen content in these cuts breaks down into gelatin, which helps tenderize the meat and adds richness to the overall flavor.
Precisely, these ideal cuts that will make a nice pot roast are chuck (front portion of the cow), brisket (breast or lower chest), and round (rear leg area).
For a better view of which cut is perfect for recipes like this, the following will give you a highlight of each cut. Happy choosing!
Chuck Roast – this cut is famous for the marbling effect that causes it to be extra tender. Also, this is the main protein for recipes like this. This cut is from the cow’s shoulder just above the short rib. It is also similar to chuck eye, blade roast, shoulder roast, arm steak, and cross rib.
Brisket – this cut is perfect for barbeque and smokers. Also, it is a cut from the chest or lower. What makes it a guilty pleasure cut is because it contains a lot of fats. Aside from that, it is more expensive than chuck and similar to a flat cut.
Bottom Round – this cut comes in a variety of names like London Broil or Steak Cut. Also, this cut is usually at the rear part of an animal. The fantastic factor about this cut is it is leaner than chuck and brisket. As a reminder, when cooking this type of cut, add fat like butter or oil to avoid it from getting too dry.
Best Served With
The variety of delicious ingredients in the chuck steak pot roast produces a symphony of flavors that make it perfect for a wide array of dishes!
- Mashed Potato: The creaminess and light flavor of mashed potato make it the perfect side dish to pair with the pot roast. The best pot roast variant to pair it with is the oven pot roast because it is less saucy, so the mashed potatoes will not disintegrate. This combination will surely warm your heart and your tummy.
- Garlic Bread: You know that the dish is so good when you don’t want to leave any sauce on the plate. The best bread to wipe some gravy off is the garlic bread. A caution: The garlic’s nuttiness and sharp flavor will stimulate your appetite and leave you wanting more pot roast.
- Potato Fries – Just because the mashed potato is on the list doesn’t mean that potato fries are not qualified. Serving this together with the chuck steak dish is a millennial take for the meal. This is also more appealing to kids and kids at heart. Just put it away from the elderly as they would frown with the fried combination.
- Baked Mac and Cheese: If you crave some carbs, baked mac and cheese is the right choice. The al dente macaroni drenched in the creamy and cheesy sauce will go well with the meaty pot roast’s proteins.
- Plain Rice: If you are a Filipino, you won’t let that meat and gravy go without plain rice. We recommend eating the dish with other flavored or fried rice variants, as it might not complement the pot roast’s flavors. Plain hot and freshly steamed rice will do.
- Vanilla Ice Cream: After a hearty meal, a cup of refreshing vanilla ice cream will be a perfect finish. You can choose to buy your favorite pint of ice cream, or you can make your own. As long as you have the necessary ingredients for ice cream, such as all-purpose cream, condensed milk, vanilla, and any flavor you want, you can make your homemade ice cream.
- Red Velvet Cake: That soft cake and creamy icing is a winning partner for recipes like this. You can opt to buy a slice of it, or you can make your version if you have the luxury of time.
- Iced tea – a glass of refreshing iced tea will surely freshen up your taste buds. Partnering this kind of beverage with recipes like this will surely make you want to indulge in this meal even more. Also, tea is great for your health because it is a better alternative than sugary sodas. After every gulp of this beverage will make you hydrated while boosting the antioxidants in your body. Aside from that, it prevents tooth loss and prohibits the formation of cavities in your mouth.
- Carbonated drinks – this type of beverage contains carbon dioxide that makes it fizzy or bubbly. There are lots of carbonated drinks to choose from. It is beautiful that you are browsing this artic;e because we are about to unravel the types of carbonated drinks.
- Soda – this is the most popular type of carbonated drink known to every country. Its flavor varies from colas, lemon-infused and orange-flavored.
- Coffee – a famous coffee shop that made this carbonated coffee popular. Who wouldn’t like their favorite cup of coffee a little bit bubbly and cold? In this sense, this idea is a genius.
- Sparkling water is famous for those on a diet because it has lesser sugar content than any flavored beverage. Although it has less sugar, the flavor is a bomb and varies from lemon, strawberry, and raspberry.
- Sparkling wine – commonly known as Champagne, matches perfectly with light recipes. We know that recipes like this are decadent, but there are light variants like the sandwiches that can go well.
- Energy Drinks – we know you know some energy drinks, and our friendly reminder is to partner it with recipes like this during the day. This is to avoid being too active at night when you are supposed to sleep.
- Juice – now this is like soda but tastes like a regular juice. It always starts with orange and other flavors. Make sure to check on the health benefits to ensure that it is healthy and what you will intake is not entirely chemicals.
- Root beer – if you want a different level of refreshment, you might want to consider pairing recipes like this with root beer. Root beer products are non-carbonated drinks making them healthier to drink compared to sodas. Also, drinking root beer prohibits dental erosion and teeth enamel loss in the long run.
- Fresh fruit juice. – After a deliciously savory meal, who wouldn’t want a light and fruity finish. A freshly squeezed lemon or orange juice goes well with recipes like this. Besides, you can guarantee the health benefits of the beverage. It will also promote a keen preparation of meals.
- Easy Fruit Salad – We know that the natural palate cleanser would be fruits. Also, there are lots of refreshing fruits to choose from. In that case, why not just slice all those refreshing fruits and combine them all in a bowl? Instant salad, right? You might get confused as to what fruits you are going to combine. Don’t worry! We got your back! We are going to provide you some easy salad recipes.
- Pina Colada Salad – this tropical combination will surely make you feel like you’re on a beach in the Maldives. With just strawberries, red and green grapes, and pineapple, you will be able to pull this salad off. If you have any leftovers, you can transform them into a smoothie by pureeing the fruits and adding yogurt. Still, this Pina Colada smoothie will be a fantastic pair of dishes like this.
- Melon-Berry Salad – perfectly chilled salad is always a must-have in any meal. The level of refreshment in frozen or chilled salads is still a bomb on every dining table. What makes it more delicious is that it has Greek yogurt, coconut milk, and orange juice. Just imagine the refreshing taste of this trio. Don’t forget about fruits like cantaloupe, watermelon, strawberries, blueberries, and navel orange. The overall combination screams summer.
- Sparkling Fruit Salad – serve a bowl of this sparkling delicious. Aside from it being very easy to make, it is nutritional because of the fresh fruits. Just combine pineapple chunks, mandarin oranges, strawberries, and grapes. You can put it in a bowl then drench it with wine and sparkling club soda dressing.
- Blood orange avocado salad: Are you looking for a refreshing side for a savory dish? This can be the answer to your prayers! If you can’t find any blood oranges in the market, you can choose regular oranges available. In addition to that, you can add chopped walnuts for extra crunch.
- Minted Fruit Salad – if you are salivating for a cool and minty salad, this is the one! Aside from the cool flavor, its vibrant color is a perfect pair to dishes like braised chuck steak. Just combine unsweetened apple juice, honey, crystallized ginger, and lemon juice for the fruits, strawberries, blueberries, and cantaloupe balls.
- Fruit with Poppy Seed Dressing – let your family indulge in this springtime favorite.
As we have featured, the versatility, nutritional value, and affordability make it easy to understand why
chuck steak pot roast is trendy, especially for families.
It is inexpensive due to the cut of chuck steak and choice of veggies that you can use. The serving can feed the entire family. Simply, the dish provides a pleasant and heartwarming flavor that makes family dinner memorable and worth cherishing.
Now, you have learned how to make chuck steak pot roast in different cooking methods. Thus, you can now prepare this internationally-acclaimed dish with chuck steak that bursts with savory juice in every bite, silky and rich gravy, and with well-cooked fresh vegetables. Cook this at home, and we assure you, your family will fight over the leftovers, so you better make a lot more!
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
Best Beef Pot Roast Recipe
- 2 lbs Beef chuck
- 1 pc White Onion cubed
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 pcs Bay leaves
- 1 tsp Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1 cup Water
- In a bowl, season beef with salt. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a cooking pan. Sear the beef chuck for 5 minutes. Turn it over and sear the opposite side for the same amount of time. Then transfer into a plate.
- In the same cooking pan, saute garlic and onion until light brown. Then, add the beef, season with salt and pepper.
- Pour-in the water.
- Transfer into a tray or container. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes over 325F. After 30 minutes lower the heat to 300F. Then continue cooking for another 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and transfer into serving plate. Share and enjoy!