Are you looking for ways on how to make champorado (chocolate rice porridge)? If you are trying to find the best comfort food to have when you are feeling down, sad, or whatever your mood is, this is one of the recipes that will be saving your day!
Comfort food recipes do not only transform your mood, but they can also bring back memories and worry-free times. In other words, comfort food recipes make you think of the times at home.
That’s why chocolate rice porridge is the perfect comfort food because it is ultimately the dish you would be wanting and craving for if you might be having a bad day or thinking of home, right? I mean, who doesn’t love it? I guess many love chocolate as much as I do. Every spoonful of that yummy, creamy, and chocolatey taste always opens you to great things to look forward to.
Moreover, we will help you bring back your childhood times as the chocolate rice porridge recipe is one of the recipes that opens the past album of life. Even if you’re far away and alone from home or with your family, you don’t have to miss your grandma’s cooking of champorado because we will help you do chocolate rice porridge recipe.
As we go on, we will learn new things about where champorado originated and came from, the benefits it can give us, and other food recipes that it is ideally served with. We will do it as fun and as simple as possible to cook chocolate rice porridge in your home. We will make it simple so that it will be easy for you to review whenever you want to prepare chocolate rice porridge recipes.
What Is Filipino Champorado
Champorado is one of the recipes suited for the sweet tooth. It is a sweet chocolate rice porridge that is not a new recipe in our nation. It is famous in our country, the Philippines—coming from a rice-loving country, pairing this recipe with something rewarding as chocolate turns it to even unique and authentic. Chocolate rice porridge is one of the recipes people tend to look forward to.
Chocolate rice porridge is made with sticky rice and cocoa powder. That’s why it has a dark brown color. We usually add milk and sugar so that it would be sweeter.
The recipe is traditionally served for breakfast, but it can also be prepared for dessert because of its sweetness. It is usually served hot, but you can have it cold as long as it is what you want because it will still taste superb. It isn’t new to us that there’s no specific time when to have this delicious meal and enjoy it any time of the day you want to have it.
Reviewing our history by looking back to the old days during the galleon trade between Manila and Acapulco, the idea of making chocolate rice porridge was brought by some Mexican traders. As years passed, we have found new ways of improving and changing the Mexican Champurrado into a Philippine version by replacing “masa” with sticky rice. It is then that the recipe has been newly modified and adapted over the years.
As a result, many of us loved the Filipino chocolate rice porridge style as it became famous as a meal for breakfast. Many foreigners are also being loved and appreciated when they try it while visiting Manila and other provinces.
Many of us have eaten our chocolate rice porridge because of our grandma’s cooking or shared with the new neighbor next door. Leaving us clueless on what is chocolate rice porridge made of and how it is cooked. As we go by, we will share tips and help you prepare your very own version of this recipe.
Chocolate, as it’s the main ingredient, is the reason behind its sweetness and taste. But it is not as sweet as you think it is. The addition of milk and sugar when you are mixing your chocolate rice porridge turns it extra delicious.
Chocolate rice porridge is ideal both when served hot or cold, depending on your preference on how you will enjoy your meal fully. Weird as it may seem to others, we usually consume it with tuyo or dried fish as a side dish to control its sweetness with the salty taste of the tuyo.
Moreover, it isn’t new to us that chocolate rice porridge is so simple to do. The sticky rice is to be cooked in a casserole with water first. In a separate bowl, cocoa powder and sugar should be mixed and diluted before pouring it into the rice. Be sure to stir it well, then cook until it’s ready to serve and eat.
Furthermore, there is another Filipino rice porridge variant and version here in our country. It is called Tinughong that is from the Visayan-speaking regions where they do not include dark chocolate as an ingredient. It is made from cooked rice boiled with sugar added with coffee or milk, serving it as an alternative to dark chocolate or cocoa.
To fully experience one of the most affordable champorado recipes, you will need to boil the cooked rice until the rice is softened. Once softened, put sugar based on your desired level of sweetness. Tinughong is one of the chocolate rice porridge recipes that is ideally consumed when hot.
One of the innovative recipes for champorado is the ube champorado. The Ube style opens the fact that it is one of the most sophisticated recipes you will encounter. To have a taste of it, you will need to prepare sticky rice, evaporated milk, condensed milk, coconut cream, salt, ube halaya, ube flavoring, and water.
To do this, Boil and simmer the sticky rice and water. Do not forget to stir. Once the rice is cooked, put the ube halaya, ube flavoring, salt, and coconut cream. Be sure to mix well. Once mixed well and cooked, the ube champorado is one of the recipes that is topped with condensed or evaporated milk, depending on your choice.
Apart from using sticky rice, other new chocolate rice porridge recipes use different types of rice. One of these recipes is the brown rice champorado. Some people believe that this is one of the new chocolate rice porridge recipes that can be considered a healthier option. Brown rice consumption opens the reality that it is rich in B vitamins, iron, magnesium, and selenium.
Brown rice porridge is one of the recipes that will require you to prepare cooked brown rice, water, unsweetened cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and evaporated milk for brown rice porridge. To start, combine the cooked brown rice with water and let it simmer for around 20 minutes. After 20 mins, put the unsweetened cocoa powder. Once the cacao powder is diluted, put sugar and salt. Once done, do not forget to top your dish with evaporated milk.
One of the new recipes that also utilizes other rice types is the red rice choco porridge. Undeniably, the consumption of red rice opens us to the fact that it is beneficial since it provides antioxidants, fiber, and vitamin B6. Red rice table champorado is one of the recipes that will require you to prepare red rice, water, unsweetened tablea chocolate, and sugar.
To start preparing one of the most exciting porridge recipes, boil and simmer the red rice and water. Afterward, add the tablea. Once cooked, do not forget to top your dish with sugar and condensed or evaporated milk.
Troubleshooting Your Recipe
Though chocolate rice porridge recipes are simple to prepare, unavoidable mistakes still can happen. Here, we will give you some ways to reassemble and turn it into even more inviting.
- If the finished product you have made is too bitter because of the cocoa, you can add sugar to adjust and lessen its bitterness. A small amount of water can also be added.
- If the mixture happened to be watery instead of thick and sticky, you need to stir it more until it is harder for you to mix because of its stickiness. Mixing will also prevent you from burning your mixture.
Trivia: Benefits Of Ingredients
Just as simple as this dish can be made, it’s also easy to find and buy what you will need. Chocolate rice porridge ingredients are all available in the groceries and supermarkets near you. Some are maybe in your household already. Just try to look for it first at your place before you leave for the groceries.
A good type of rice
It is not a new fact that people in the Philippines love rice. The country has an agricultural set-up that paves the way for bounty rice production. In turn, rice consumption is relatively high since it is our staple food. According to the Philippine Statistics Authority, a Filipino consumes 118.81 kilograms of rice annually on the average. For the entire archipelago, the total annual rice consumption amounts to 12.9 Million Metric Tons. Thus, it is undeniable that rice, being an agricultural commodity, is a part and reflection of the Filipino culture.
Since it is not new to hear that rice is always present in the table of every Filipino family, it is not surprising that many traditional and newly-developed recipes have sprung out of rice due to our creativity and innovativeness. Hence, it is not a shocker to know that we have ways on how to turn that pale white rice into a mouthwatering champorado and all other recipes.
Most importantly, you will need glutinous rice or sweet rice, sticky rice, or malagkit rice in other names. It is straightforward to distinguish when with the regular rice we eat because glutinous rice has shorter grains than regular rice. If you will ask why the glutinous rice is less translucent than the regular one is because of its starch content.
Moreover, this sticky rice used in making chocolate rice porridge and other kakanin recipes is not a problem to search for as it is readily available in all supermarkets and even in wet markets.
Glutinous rice is an excellent source of B Vitamins and other minerals such as selenium, zinc, magnesium, copper, and phosphorus. It contains fiber as well but not as much as it is found in brown rice and regular white rice. There is also no cholesterol and fat in this rice, making it a healthy option.
More so, health review opens the fact that sticky rice has many other healthful benefits such as:
- It can prevent chronic diseases because of the vitamins and minerals it contains.
- It is also said to improve glycemic control in patients with type-2 diabetes, which is to be checked by continuous glucose monitoring.
- Unnecessary inflammation can also be reduced because of the B vitamins content of the rice.
- Because of the many healthful benefits of the minerals in the sticky rice, it can also help build stronger bones and great for heart health.
Adding Cocoa Powder and its Helpful Qualities
Chocolate is another in-demand commodity in the country. We are innately gifted with sweet teeth. It opens the fact that it is not surprising to grasp that the local demand for chocolate is approximately 40,000 tons annually. As a result, it is not new to hear and discover recipes containing chocolate as essential ingredients. We must admit that we yearn for sweet recipes such as chocolate cakes, rocky road ice cream, and chocolate rice porridge. For the chocolate rice porridge, cocoa powder is vital in the preparation of the dish.
On the other hand, cocoa is essential for its second lead’s role most important in achieving this recipe. Cocoa is a plant from which chocolate was made. The chocolate is made bitter by pressing the cocoa tightly hard and pressed. It is utilized in many desserts as an ingredient, as well as in preparing dishes and recipes.
Here are some valuable health benefits of cocoa in our bodies.
- It is believed to help in preventing heart disease. One of the top components of the cocoa is called the flavonoids. The flavonoids can decrease blood clotting, avoid the blood vessels’ blockage by improving their function, and lower blood pressure.
- The flavonoids found in the cacao powder is believed to be a potential agent that reduces inflammation throughout the body.
- The flavonoids in cacao powder can also prevent diabetes by increasing the insulin sensitivity of the body.
- By widening the blood vessels and protecting it against harmful damage, cocoa has been proven to lower blood pressure.
- Cocoa, as an antioxidant, is also useful in lowering cholesterol and can also enhance and develop positive moods.
Aside from cocoa, other alternatives you can use in preparing your porridge are chocolate bars and chocolate chips.
Helpful Qualities of Condensed Milk
All of us know that milk is very nutritious and healthy, although it is not for everyone, most notably milk intolerant. Many benefits are to be found in it. On average, a Filipino consumes approximately 19 kilograms of milk every year.
Milk is packed with many nutrients, like vitamins. Also, a source of protein, good for bone health, can prevent weight gain, and lastly, as a versatile ingredient. Food with milk will always be a superb idea, not just with what additional flavor it will bring but also the excellent health benefits it will give us and our body.
Milk is an ideal calcium source giving you more healthy bones and teeth. It is also great in improving muscle growth because of the protein content found in it. That is also why athletes are advised to drink milk, helping them prevent muscle soreness and replenishes fluids lost during their physical activity and aside from making their bones more durable than ever.
Lastly, healthy fats in milk reduce stress, serve as an energy booster, heartburn eliminator, and a disease fighter. And that sums up the endless essential benefit we can get from milk.
Milk is often utilized in various recipes. Without condensed milk, chocolate rice porridge recipes cannot be made. The condensed milk is the ingredient that provides extraordinary sweetness and boosts the flavor of other ingredients.
For a desirable outcome of your homemade chocolate rice porridge recipes, here are some tips that might help you.
- To avoid pure cocoa or whole pieces of chocolate in the mixture, be sure that it is appropriately stirred before mixing the chocolate into the rice. Regardless of what chocolate used, either cocoa powder or chocolate bar.
- Add more milk as much as you want or until it looks creamier and smoother.
- The level of sweetness is adjusted by putting more sugar in your chocolate rice porridge.
- When boiling, leave your heat level always low. Keeping it in a high range might burn your uncooked sticky rice.
- Chocolate chips can also be utilized as an alternative to chocolate bars and cocoa.
- Regularly tasting your food will assure you that it is developing the right taste and flavors.
Best Served With
This dish is very mouthwatering and delicious, most especially if other foods are partnered while eating it.
Here are some of the foods that we think are ideal when having a bowl of hot, creamy, and chocolate rice porridge.
- Salted dried fish- “tuyo” is the most popular companion of this dish. It is typically enjoyed with tuyo and pandesal also. Salted fish turns it superb by balancing it with its salty taste with the chocolate rice porridge’s sweetness.
- Pancakes- Breakfast is also the ultimate time to have fluffy pancakes. Pancakes are the most excellent choice you can have when eating chocolate rice porridge. More likely, if you want to have a massive kind of breakfast meal.
- Toasted buttered bread- If you are used to having bread for breakfast, crunchy toasted buttered bread will be the talk of the town to serve with chocolate rice porridge. It is worth the try. It is a top-tier experience.
- Fried bacon- Anything that goes with bacon will never disappoint you. Fried bacon being super crunchy and salty, will surely complement our homemade chocolatey and sweet chocolate rice porridge.
- Ham – For the morning food lovers, the combination of ham and hot chocolate rice porridge will never fail to transform your mood! The saltiness of ham can be complemented with the sweetness of chocolate rice porridge.
- Spam – This canned meat product is an ideal partner for chocolate rice porridge. The carbohydrates in chocolate rice porridge can be paired with the protein we can get from the meat of Spam products.
- Pork & Beans – the combination of pork & beans paired with chocolate rice porridge is another dish that will not fail to bring a smile to the faces of morning food lovers.
- Coconut juice – chocolate rice porridge during merienda time is ideal to be paired with a fresh coconut drink.
Indulging in something makes you feel so light, giving you peace of mind and happiness. And that’s what this recipe brings you, being your comfort food and guilty pleasure. That pure joy in every scoop of the creamy, chocolatey, and sweet taste whenever you take a spoonful in your mouth makes it even more satisfying.
Aren’t you hungry now? I’m sure you are now craving for a bowl of Champorado. We hope we’ve shared everything we can with this article and taught you how to prepare chocolate rice porridge.
I know how excited you are to prepare this meal. Be sure to message us if it’s a success. For now, go on and prepare the best homemade chocolate rice porridge of yours to enjoy and indulge.
Remember that no matter the weather, chocolate rice porridge always turns the day better!
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
Best Champorado Recipe
- 1 cup Glutinous rice
- 6 cups Water
- 1/2 cup Cocoa
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Evaporated or Fresh milk
- Pour 5 cups of water in a casserole and bring it to boil.
- Put-in the glutinous rice and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Dilute the cocoa powder and sugar in 1 cup warm water then stir continuously.
- Pour the cocoa mixture over the glutinous rice. Cover and cook for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Serve and eat with fresh milk on top. Enjoy!