Are you looking for the best coconut and butter snack recipe that you can serve for upcoming parties? Worry no more as we share with you how to make coconut macaroons! Indulge with these sweet treats as you go on!
You can have these coconut dishes if you feel blue or lonely, as the yummy taste of macaroons will shift your moods and give you extra comfort. One bite of this sweet treat will make your stress away, and the good thing is that you can also share it with your loved ones. Make good memories today as you learn how to make this excellent coconut treat.
Expect that we will help you go through all information in this recipe on how it is discovered and improved. We will cover up techniques and tips to bake this recipe to perfection. Before this day ends, you will realize the joy this sweet treat can bring to you, your family, and friends.
So, hurry! A special coconut treat is coming up!!
What Is Soft And Chewy Coconut Macaroon Recipes All About
Crunchy and crispy on the outside but chewy on the inside, that is how we describe macaroons. Many people tried many best versions of cooking these coconut recipes, but the classic and original recipe is just as is that makes it distinct from others. This sweet dish made its name and became popular in many countries.
To give you a brief history of the recipe for macaroons, here it goes. From medieval to modern times, the best macaroons recipes made their trademark. Most historians are inclined to believe that the macaroons originated in Italy and then passed through the local transmission to all nearest places. It was transported by sailors and continued to refine the cooking process.
The trivia they give is that the word “macaroons” is coming from the Italian word “ammaccare,” which means “to dent” or to crush. The reason for this is probably because the first macaroon has almond paste as the main ingredient.
Almonds were introduced in this recipe around the 7th century. Sugar and egg whites were then added to the recipe to create the cookie, and that was made the first recipe version of “macaroons.” From then on, the recipe became popular in many countries.
When the late 18th century came, many changes were made to improve the original recipe of macaroons. The almond in the recipe was replaced by coconut as the almond cookie tended to be more fragile to make and transport. Desiccated or shredded and dried coconuts were easier to pack without deterioration for this kind of recipe.
From then up to now, the shredded coconut serves as the main ingredient for macaroons’ recipe. So the name itself was replaced too. It is now called “coco macaroons.”
These recipe discoveries provided chefs to improve more the recipe of coco macaroons. They made it to another level by adding a twist to the center of the cookie. They created perfectly formed and rounded cookies, baked them, added jam, or any other fillings inside.
However, these are only for variations of Coco macaroons. The original and classical is still the signature taste of shredded “chewy Coco macaroons.”
What Are Good Chewy Coconut Macaroon Recipes Made Of
For you to uncover the recipe mystery behind this coconut sweetie, the best recipe ingredients and their benefits are listed and discussed below.
- Butter: As a solid fat, butter is better suited in almost all baking products like this Coco macaroons. In particular, butter adds flavor with a melting point just below body temperature. These tend the baked-products quickly melt to your mouth. Butter is also responsible for leavening and adding flavors, too—lastly, butter crispiness to the outside of your Coco macaroons. This kind of recipe requires the magic of butter. Don’t forget to add it to your bakings!
- Eggs: Like the soft butter, it is also usually added to baked products such as our featured Coco macaroons. Eggs create stability and structure within the butter. In this case, the butter helps thicken and emulsify the custards and dough. It also adds moisture that is very important to act as glue or glaze. Perhaps, it will stabilize the mixture to become firm. This kind of recipe requires the aid of an egg to be firm.
- Condensed Milk: The Coco macaroons are best known for having a sweet taste, so condensed milk is the reason behind it. It plays a vital role in adding sweetness to our baked goods. Not only that, but it also lends tenderness, moisture, and flavor to the products. It also adds color to the crust. Moreover, the sweetness it brings to your Coco macaroons helps prolong the shelf-life so that you can store it for some time.
We all know that condensed milk is extremely sweet due to its sugar content, and also it is from cow’s milk. But don’t shy away from using condensed milk in some recipes that you are going to cook because it also has some health benefits. Two tablespoons of condensed milk contain a good source of protein, calcium, phosphorus, selenium, Vitamin B12, B2, and Choline, all of which are essential in someone’s health.
Condensed milk may seem unhealthy, but you can get a lot from just a small serving of it. This recipe also needs the power of this kind of sweetener to make sure that the flavor is on point.
- Vanilla extract is called an “additional ingredient” to many baked-products because it is not necessary for structure or sustainability. It is extra flavoring instead. You can increase or decrease the amount of vanilla extract to meet your flavor preferences in baking Coco macaroons. For suggestion, the best vanilla to use here is those that have a high natural vanilla content, as a small drop is already enough for little macaroons. This will ensure this kind of recipe an enticing aroma.
- Salt: A pinch of salt can add flavor to your Coco macaroons. It also plays an essential role in your other baked products because it controls yeast growth, leading to spoiling. Since we also have butter in the ingredients, salt helps cut the oily mouthfeel of it. It also enhances the flavors of all other ingredients. To balance out the sweetness, it needs salt.
- Desiccated / Shredded Coconut – Of course, your best macaroons are not complete without these coconut ingredients. You can have either desiccated coconut or shredded coconut in recipes like this. Shredded coconut is almost dry, but it usually retains moisture more than full-on desiccated coconut. This is the star of this recipe so make sure to make it stand out magically.
- Flour: The addition of powder to the necessary ingredients like condensed milk, butter, egg, shredded/desiccated coconuts, and so on will enhance the robust, authentic Filipino taste of Coco macaroons. In that sense, flour also is essential as it gives structure to the baked-products. If you put much on in just all Coco, it will be boring. This recipe needs flour to make it cake-like
Varieties of Good Coconut Macaroons Recipes
Now that you know how the recipe for the best soft Coco macaroons is made let us help you develop its variations to have many style options to make it. Here’s come twelve recipe changes, happy baking!
Chocolate Coconut Macaroons
First up is the recipe of the best chocolate Coco macaroons as it is the most requested variety of this coconut dish, especially for the kids that love chocolate. Here, you will simply add your favorite chocolate syrup together with the mixture and simply bake it.
You can also have small kisses or any chocolate drizzling on top for this kind of recipe! It is as if you’re eating some chocolate cupcakes.
Aside from chocolate, you can also try making coconut recipes like this with white chocolate. Just do the same procedure as the chocolate one. The burst of white chocolate flavor is undeniably amazing. You will want to grab more of this coconut treat.
Coffee Coconut Macaroons
They called it espresso Coco macaroons or cappuccino Coco macaroons, obviously because it contains coffee powder or melted coffee bars as one of the ingredients. The recipe for espresso Coco macaroons is done because people cannot get enough of their coffee, so they put it in the desert.
Butter Soft Lemon Coco Macaroons Recipes
If you are a lemon lover, you can apply it in this recipe here in your coconut dish by merely putting a lemon zest or lemon juice on your baking mixture. The amount of sourness gives it a distinct flavor when you add it to your traditional sweet macaroons. Give it a try, and you’ll see.
Toasted Coconut Macaroons
Finally, you will have a snack and a dish in one by doing toasted Coco macaroons. For those who aren’t satisfied with the final taste after it is baked. No worries because you can add to the reheating process to make macaroons’ recipe toast and crunchy.
Oatmeal Coconut Macaroons
This coconut recipe version of your macaroons is perfect for your breakfast in the morning. One bite of oatmeal, as incorporated with your macaroons, will make your day fresh! This version is also for kids who are in schooling, and they will have the healthiest and yummy snack ever.
No-bake Coconut Macaroons
It is never a problem if you don’t have an oven or baking equipment at home. We will take over this coconut recipe version. The difference here with the usual is that it adds this step. The tablespoon-fulls of the mixture are dropped onto wax paper and left to set. The results were these stacks of Coco macaroons will satisfy your cravings!
Keto Coconut Macaroons
Do you want to have recipes for these macaroons without breaking your diets? Make this version as keto Coco macaroons offer low-carb ingredients only. To do so, one word of caution, though. Do the same process and add the same ingredients. Surprisingly, this recipe is considered overall low in carbs!
You can also use unsweetened coconut in recipes like this to make it like an energy bar. Besides that, unsweetened coconut is rich in fiber, which is essential in this kind of diet. On top of that, unsweetened coconut is an organic ingredient purely with no additives. In this event, unsweetened coconut is a no-guilt ingredient but will surely elevate recipes like this.
This is simply dried coconut and a bit drier compared to sweetened coconut. Also, it is milder in flavor.
Vegan Coconut Macaroons
Aside from keto-diet, you can also eat the recipe of macaroons by applying a vegan-diet. To keep it in that way, skip the eggs altogether and sweeten them in maple syrup. These alternatives will still keep macaroons naturally sweet.
Gluten-free Coconut Macaroons
In this recipes’ version, the traditional and usual ingredients are used the same. However, you must be aware of picking the best gluten-free flour and food coloring if you add these to your recipe.
Low carb Coconut Macaroons
By following the best keto-diet on making macaroons, you also do low carb coconut macaroons as it functions the same. Keto has a little carb food without compromising its taste. The most important thing is to be wise about picking ingredients.
In this type of diet, you can add unsweetened coconut to recipes like this. Unsweetened coconut will surely elevate recipes like this. Serving this kind of dish over dinners will surely end up your day on a different level.
Sugar-free Coconut Macaroons
Craving for macaroons but worrying about your sugar? Worry no more as we uncapped recipes like this! The secret ingredient to follow this variety is to substitute xylitol powder with all of your sugar-based parts. The taste is just similar to sugar, but the content is not. Unlike regular sugar, it will not spike up your insulin levels.
Since we are discussing sugar-free recipes, you can add unsweetened coconut to recipes like this. With this, recipes like this will surely be delicious and nutritious at the same time. Dinners will be a bomb once you serve this kind of dessert.
Party-backed Coconut Macaroons
These recipes are all for kids who want their parties as colorful as their macaroons! Simply add food coloring (yellow, red, blue, green) to the mixture before baking, and that’s it! Enjoy this coconut delight in a rainbow way!
Troubleshooting The Recipe
Not only is cooking, but you may also encounter some troubles when baking recipes like this. Many ask, why did their coconut macaroons spread? If this happens to you, too, here’s what you should consider in cooking this coconut delight.
The macaroons’ recipe is supposed to spread when baking if they spread too much, meaning they aren’t cold enough.
If it spreads too much, return the macaroons to the refrigerator for another 25 minutes. Once the butter has a chance to get cold, the macaroons will not be circulating in the oven when baking.
Trivia: Health Benefits Of Macaroons
This coconut snack is tiny but gorgeous in terms of health benefits because of coconut, which is the main ingredient of this dessert, and other healthy ingredients.
Macaroons are a quick source of energy due to the presence of eggs and sugar-based ingredients. Secondly, since coconut is made up, it boosts endurance and strength, enhancing our physical performance.
See? You are not just eating but maintaining your body healthy with recipes like this.
Macaroons vs Macarons, What Are The Differences
Many confuse this lovely snack with its almost name-sake counterpart. So, it’s fitting to differentiate each of them.
These two kinds of deserts are differently made. Although they are entirely both cookies, the ingredients are not the same. First off, macaroons are coconut-based, whereas macarons are meringue-based.
Another thing is their appearance, texture, and taste. You can easily distinguish macarons as it gives a delicate eggshell-like crust with an inner meringue texture. In contrast, the macaroons provide a lumpy and dense texture for a homemade, chewy feel.
Macarons also provide many flavors and fillings but not overly sweet. On the other hand, macaroons are only famous because of three variations, the chocolate-dipped, lemon-flavored, and the Squared. Unlike macarons, macaroons are made extremely sweet.
Lastly, the amount of difficulty in making them is also different. Macaroons can only be whipped up in minutes in a kitchen, but macarons will have you spending in the kitchen for hours. It’s okay; at the end of the day, they are both worth the wait, too.
Here are some noteworthy recipe suggestions to improve your cooking of this lovely sweetie.
If you wish to bake one dozen recipe batches of coconut macaroons, but you fail to eat all, you can still store it. They are right outside of the refrigerator for about 2 to 3 days, but it will last for about a month when you decide to keep it in the freezer.
Before bringing it to the storage, just place it in resealable bags or if you have zip lock bags. You can use airtight containers, too, to seal the freshness. When cravings, thaw in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours at room temperature, grab after, and they are ready to enjoy again.
Recipes like this require a special ingredient to make sure the flavor is spot on. That special ingredient is condensed milk. Condensed milk is from cow’s milk removing roughly 60 percent of its water.
Also, condensed milk is thicker than evaporated milk and even sweeter. Furthermore, condensed milk density makes it last for years without even refrigerating it after opening from the can. Condensed milk is also related to evaporated milk, which is much lighter than condensed milk. On top of that, evaporated milk is called unsweetened condensed milk in some countries.
Evaporated milk is called unsweetened in some parts of the globe because of its light and almost bland flavor compared to a sweetened one.
If you are going to cook recipes like this and all you have is evaporated milk, continue cooking anyway. Why is that? Because you can make condensed milk out of evaporated milk.
Just add one and a half cups of sugar to twelve ounces of evaporated milk. Bring it to a boil. Ensure that the sugar is completely dissolved. Once the mixture starts to thicken, it is already condensed milk.
If you have no time to recreate condensed milk, you can substitute it with cream of coconut. Don’t be confused between coconut cream and cream of coconut. Coconut cream is from shredded coconut and water, while the cream of coconut is thicker and is from pure coconut water.
Also, we know that recipes like this cannot be a good dessert for those who have allergies to dairy products. In that sense, you can enjoy recipes like this by making your version of dairy-free sweetened condensed milk. Just follow the instructions on making homemade condensed milk, then alternate evaporated milk with non-dairy kinds of milk.
You can choose from a good serving of soy milk, rice milk, oat milk, almond milk, and coconut milk. Whichever you choose from these non-dairy milk will surely be a perfect fit for your homemade non-dairy sweetened condensed milk.
Best Served With
A classic recipe like this is more beautiful and yummier when paired with other exquisite delicacies.
- Chocolate dip: Dipping good recipes like this with any of your chocolate syrup makes the taste incomparable.
- Sprinkles – No one can stop you from adding colorful sprinkles on top of your chocolate-flavored coconut macaroons recipe.
- Vanilla Ice cream. The sweet taste of our recipe compliments the creamy taste of ice creams, especially vanilla ice creams. Vanilla ice cream and coconut are perfect together.
- Iced tea: Refresh yourselves while drinking ice tea after eating this dessert.
- Potato Chips – the salty taste of potato chips match when it comes to the recipe of macaroons.
Crispy coconut delight and golden on the outside make chewy on the inside. That’s what makes these Coconut baked goods more addictive. No doubt, many people want to have some of this best coconut sweet treat. This coconut treat is really for everyone. Especially to mommies out there, they run out of snacks to prepare for their kids.
These excellent pieces of coconut sweetness will surely make you feel as special as you deserve to be. Now that you know how to make the best Coco macaroons, it’s time to give us feedback by doing this recipe at home! Put smiles on your face as you grab and taste it. Enjoy this coconut treat on your table!
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
Best Chewy Coconut Macaroons Recipe
- Baking tray
- Paper cup (for macaroons)
- 1 1/2 cup Coconut desiccated
- 1 pc Egg
- 1 1/2 cup Sweetened milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Butter
- pinch Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Beat the egg in a mixing bowl. Add butter, vanilla extract, and sweetened milk. Whisk until well blended.
- Add the desiccated coconut and salt. Fold until the mixture is distributed.
- Arrange mini baking cups on a mini muffin pan. Scoop around 1 tablespoon of mixture and place it into each baking cup.
- Put the muffin pan in the oven. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Let it cool down.
- Transfer to a plate. Serve for dessert. Enjoy!