Potato Chips are thin slices of potatoes that are either baked until crisped or deep-fried. Commonly, they are served as an appetizer, side dish, or a snack in most European and Western countries. That being said, we will teach you how to make homemade potato chips.
The method of frying potatoes or baking it was a very remote idea for Filipinos until the foreigners from Europe and America came and greatly influenced their culinary techniques.
The technique was mouth-watering and very easy to do with not many ingredients to use. So they have acquired the idea of making Homemade Potato Chips as one of their snacks.
So we are inviting you to join us as we uncover how Homemade Potato Chips came to be in the Philippines. How did it stay as one of the Filipino’s well-loved snacks?
What is Potato Chips Recipe (Prepared at Home)
There is no exact account to who discovered the making of Potato Chips. The earliest known procedure of making it closer to today’s chips is in William Kitchiner’s book entitled The Cook’s Oracle that was published in 1817. That was the most best selling book in the United Kingdom and the United States.
The necessary procedure for homemade potato chips, as it was known before, was salting it after cooking. Now, as it evolved, some varieties are manufactured using different ingredients and flavorings, including spices, cheeses, herbs, other artificial and natural flavors, and additives.
In this event, the homemade potato chips have become one of the highest revenue marketed snacks globally. This recipe has reached beyond Europe and the U.S., including countries like Asia and other parts of the world.
In Hong Kong, the two famous bags of chips are barbecue by Jack’n Jill and “Ethnician” by Calbee. However, in Indonesia, these crunchy potatoes are called kripik kentang.
Chitato and Lay’s are the two bags of chips that rule the Indonesian market. These are typical flavors of spicy chicken, beef barbecue, plain salted, and cheese.
Meanwhile, in Japan, flavors would consist of wasabi, nori, butter, garlic, soy sauce, and butter. They also have pizza, mayonnaise, barbecue, and black pepper. Chilli are also included with the varieties of flavors, scallops with butter, takoyaki, and teriyaki are the flavors that are also available. Their major manufacturers are Kolkeya, Calbee, and Yamayoshi.
Canadian have quite a unique selection of flavors. They have jalapeño, dill pickle, all dressed and ketchup. They also have other flavors, including sour cream, onion, salt and vinegar, and the famous barbecue. Loblaw, the largest market food retailer in the market, is offered some unusual flavors, such as maple bacon, poutine, Greek feta and olive, Jamaican jerk chicken, barbecue baby back ribs and ballpark hotdog.
It went as far as South America, specifically in Colombia, where flavors are more dishes inspired, such as sirloin steak with mushroom sauce, lemon, chorizo, and chicken.
There are detailed accounts of when it entered the Philippines. Still, there are some international and local brands on the market shelves. Cooking homemade potato chips has been a fetish for some Filipinos, mostly through frying.
Now we will talk about how you can cook a handsome snack such as Tater Chips.
Ways to Make Potato Chips Recipe (Prepared at Home)
There are specific ways to cook homemade potato chips, given your time availability, kitchen equipment, and how crisp and savory you want it done. Just in case you’re tired of buying an already crisp potato in a bag, we will guide you on how you can make the world’s famous snack of all time delicious and tasty as the store-bought.
Consequently, one of the benefits of making your own is that you can control the salt you put into it. You can use all-natural ingredients, making it healthy for the family to munch over a Friday movie night.
Homemade Potato Chips Microwave
Got a microwave? Then why not try homemade Potato Chips microwave? We know this approach is worth your guilty pleasure. It is quick and straightforward to make.
To do this, slice potato heads as thin as though you are shaving it up. If you have a serrated knife, you can use that, too.
However, the portion and size are a big deal, so if you can’t get the size right, feel free to use a mandolin. By this, you can be assured that every slice is all in straight cuts, and it will save you time. Pop them up in the microwave for a few minutes and the other side again for a few minutes.
If you made too many and won’t finish it up in one go, place the cuts in a container filled with water and cover it tightly then put it in the refrigerator.
It will be perfect if you put all-natural flavor to it like barbecue flavor with a ranch dip that you can also make at home.
Homemade Potato Chips Air Fryer
This version is probably the most healthy approach of all. Since using a fryer for your homemade Potato Chips, the fryer doesn’t require a knee-deep oil to make it crisp.
We’re telling you, this could be your holy grail for cooking healthy snacks or meals.
To make it, slice the potato very thin. We suggest you use a mandolin so it won’t be a difficult, annoying process for you. If you don’t have a mandolin, it’s time for you to invest in one because it will make your life easier when slicing up veggies.
Next, would be spraying the mesh basket of your air-fryer using oil spray. Layer the potatoes in batches not all at once, because putting everything in one go will not make crispy-crunch potato chips, but lousy ones.
Lastly, spray the top of the potato with the oil spray, season it with salt and cook it for about several minutes or until everything is slightly brown.
Homemade Potato Chips Oven
From the thin slicing of the potatoes we have been suggesting to you, this version yields a little bit thicker than the usual cut. We don’t go for crispiness this time, but for that homey bite. Since this is baking, we don’t need oil too much.
Consequently, we will be using oil spray. Also, pick a russet potato because it is better for baking purposes. Oil the sliced potatoes in a bowl with salt and layer them up in the oven sheet.
Serve this with your decadent main dish, like smoked fish. Go big with the dip, don’t be afraid to experiment with herbs and spices.
Best Troubleshooting techniques for Recipes like this
Though Homemade Potato Chips are relatively simple to make, there will be moments when you will spill a little too much or little of everything. You might also have forgotten to do a particular procedure that wreaked havoc with your result. Here we will help you find solutions when that happens and how to avoid them.
- Soggy potato – this happens when there is too little oil, in a too crowded pan. Make sure when you fry, there is enough oil, and you have the right cooking temperature. And don’t crowd the pan. Throw in the right amount of batches that would not overwhelm the pan.
- Salty chips – to deal with salty homemade potato chips, make a dipping sauce from lemon juice or vinegar base. The acid will be your saving grace. It will mask the saltiness and create a new flavor. The acid will be the best combination for salty potatoes and will create an ambrosial exploding taste for your palate.
- Unevenly cooked chips – this happens when you have the wrong oil temperature and uneven cuts of potatoes. Maintaining the right temperature of the oil will give you the right crispiness, and uniform cuts will save you from the misery of unevenly cooked slices of homemade potato chips.
Trivia: Calories in Homemade Potato Chips
If you are easily triggered by the calories of what you eat, then the calories in homemade potato chips will not make you cringe and cry. The charm of having it home-cooked is that you can control the number of things you put into it.
Giving you a chance to hold back a little of this and that plus the way you cook it without deep frying it in a tub of oil will cut out much of the unhealthy stuff from it. According to Weight Loss Resources, the calories you can get from homemade potato chips are as low as 53.
So there you have it if you are big on a DIET, but don’t want to deprive yourself of this pleasurable homemade potato chips, so cook your very own.
Tips: Perfect seasoning for Homemade Potato Chips
Seasoning for homemade potato chips is pretty vast. You have quite a lot to choose from. Several herbs and spices go well with potatoes, especially when you want it fried or baked.
Here is the list of seasoning for potato chips that you can choose from.
- Chilli powder – if you are a spicy enthusiast person, we are sure you’ll love adding some dash of chili powder to the mix. It will give an extra punch and kick to your already great homemade potato chips.
- Paprika – goes well with chili as it is made from ground dried chili peppers or any capsicum annuum, but the sweet class of it with the thinner flesh. Paprika used to spice things up or give a little sweetness in the dish. It is also used to splash some color into the food. The flavor will most likely come out when you heat it in oil.
- Mustard Powder – this herb is commonly used in soups, salad dressings, spice rubs. This powder adds an acidic component to cut through rich sauces like for macaroni and cheese. You can use this in your customized dip sauce or sprinkle it over your sliced potato; either way, it will give your homemade chips a biting tang while it cooks.
- Cumin – has a warm, nutty flavor and aroma with a bit of both bitterness and sweetness. Not only cumin will give those flavors, but it also has many evidence-based benefits for health. Some of these are known since ancient times, while others are still being discovered. As a spice, cumin will increase your antioxidant intake; it is good at providing iron; it also helps promote proper digestion. In addition to its many health benefits, it can also improve blood sugar levels and may diminish food-borne ailments.
- Garlic Powder – Garlic, when pulverized, will give a sweeter and way less assertive taste than that of the fresh crushed garlic. Without that undertone of caramel and the hint of bitterness that you usually get when you roast or saute it. The benefit of using garlic powder won’t disappoint; this economic staple also supplies some trace nutrients, such as manganese, phosphorus, and vitamin B-6.
- Onion Powder – if you want to go BIG in aroma, onion powder will help you achieve that. A tablespoon of onion powder is equivalent to a ½ cup of freshly chopped onions. Onions hold every flavor together and boost each herb and spice. So sprinkle some dash of it for the aroma that your nostrils will love and savor while it cooks.
- Cayenne – this spice is undoubtedly hot and spicy, while it also gives that pungent. While it provides heat to the mix, it is also good at delicately enhancing other flavors. It is worthy to note that, while cayenne cooks, its flavors intensify. So just a pinch of it may work well in blending all the flavors.
Best Served With
Homemade Potato Chips, as mentioned earlier, can be eaten as a side dish, snack, or appetizer. Having said this, here is the list that you can pair it up with as such.
- Creamed Corn Salad – The smoothness and creaminess paired with something crispy-crunchy like these homemade potato chips can give your tongue a heavenly treat as an interlude to the main dish.
- Mayonnaise Dip – chips can be eaten as it is with some salt sprinkles, and it can already satisfy you. But let’s admit it, the dip can do wonders to everything baked or fried. So get yourself a mayonnaise and make a dip by adding into it a dash of the seasonings we have mentioned above. It will surely make your mouth water.
- Pork and Beans – pork and beans as a dip? Why not! The sweet flavor and soupy texture of its sauce combined with the salty tang and spices of homemade potato chips will give you layers of flavors without overpowering the other. These piquant flavors will surely make you crave for more.
- Coleslaw – going back to the superstar of all side dishes, coleslaw. Coleslaw can do wonders in all that is fried, baked, and even stewed. These are the healthiest combination amongst the list without the mayonnaise, of course.
- Baked Mac and Cheese – this dish screams cheese; we all know that cheese is highly preferred to be paired with chips. The creaminess and smoothness of baked mac due to the handsome amount of cheese will be a good combo with the homemade potato chips. It might be your next go-to comfort food combination to boot.
As opposed to its unhealthy benefits, Tater chips can be tapped down if you cook your own. Tater is always a good source of vitamins and everything excellent, especially when done with all-natural ingredients.
We hope we helped with the ideas on making tater chips with all the information we shared. We want to hear from you! Tell us how you fared well when you created your very own Tater Chips.
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
Superb Homemade Potato Chips Recipe
- 2 lbs Potato peeled
- 4 cups Iced water
- 4 tsp Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cup Celery powder
- 1 tbsp Black pepper
- 4 cups Cooking oil
- Slice the potatoes as thinly as possible then place in an open container.
- Pour the water in the container with sliced potatoes (you may add additional water as needed). Soak the potatoes for 30 minutes.
- Then, remove the potatoes from the container and transfer in a plate with paper tissue. Let it dry.
- After drying, put the potatoes in a bowl then season with pepper, garlic powder and celery powder. Mix well. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pot. Deep fry the potatoes until the color turn golden brown and the texture become crispy.
- Remove from the pan and transfer into a serving plate.
- Serve while hot! Enjoy.