Coleslaw tasty recipes are easy mixed greens menus to create, paired with many other recipes from fried meat down to soupy recipes as a side recipe or dip. As an overview, you can almost find it in many restaurants, from fast food to fine dining. But due to its excessive availability, not everyone would bother to know or view a fresh information video on creating coleslaw.
Have it in your fridge, and you wouldn’t want to have it from retaking out because you view your version as useful, if not better.
In this article, we want you to have a different view of recipes like this. We will help you build your recipes from scratch.
Furthermore, make it the rockstar of the occasion without spending much-buying food with lots of preservatives in them. We’ll guide you on creating homemade cabbage mixed greens using natural ingredients that your family can heartily enjoy at any given moment.
A View on What is a Coleslaw Dish
For information, coleslaw tasty recipes might be the only vegetable mixed greens intended to be a side dish. The book The Sensible Cook: Dutch Foodways in the Old and New World, found written in 1770, contains recipes from the author’s landlady, who mixed shredded cole with vinegar, melted butter oil.
And such tasty recipes like this are commonly believed to have emerged not later than the 18th century. The recipes’ original name came from the Dutch word “Koolsla,” which means “cabbage salad” and was probably first consumed in its earliest recipes formed by ancient Romans.
Since mayonnaise was invented in the mid 18th century, the recipes dressed modernized with it.
In the recipes cookbook mentioned above, the only consistent recipes’ ingredient of these mixed greens is raw cole; the kind of cole, other ingredients, and the dressing vary widely.
And such is the recipes’ information background of a coleslaw.
What is the best Coleslaw recipe dressing made of
As mentioned earlier, coleslaw tasty recipes dressing often consists of shredded cole, vinegar, oil, pepper, and salt. Still, when other countries adopted this vegetable side recipe, they made their versions of it.
Polish people love to prepare recipes like this simple, even in what they put in their food. For this recipe, they would usually season the dressing using a pinch of sugar, salt, black pepper, a dash of oil (typically rapeseed or sunflower), and vinegar.
On the other hand, in countries like Germany, they like their food fermented, like their love for beer. Their version of this side recipe usually marinades the shredded cole with oil and vinegar, wherein sometimes they add onions and apples to build and fuse its flavors slowly.
They mix the recipes shredded cole with carrots, apple, and cranberries in Russia and Ukraine, and they usually dress it with unrefined sunflower oil. They usually marinate the cole beforehand.
In Sweden, they use a particular type of easy cole recipes, with vinaigrette consisting of vinegar (acetic acid); they use vegetable oil and season it with salt. They usually pair it with pizza. Simple and yet satisfying to the palate.
For the United Kingdom, it’s more of a complex mix of carrots, grated cheese such as cheddar, nuts such as walnuts, dried fruits like raisins or sultanas. It is because it’s Europe recipes, and we know that every recipes’ even as secretive as this humble partner dish, has to look like an expensive gourmet.
Lastly, in the United States, recipes like this easy coleslaw are made using buttermilk, mayonnaise, or its substitute, carrots. In some parts of its regions, they would swap mayo for mustard or vinegar. Their barbecue slaw, or what they call “red slaw,” uses ketchup and vinegar rather than mayonnaise; they would often pair it with their barbecues. They would usually serve this during meals.
Variations of Coleslaw Recipes
If you wonder if there are any easy variations of recipes for the best coleslaw, you won’t be disappointed because there are! Although this type of mixed greens recipes’ can be made with only five ingredients, you can always tweak it and make it suitable for your personal preference.
Below are the lists of its variations that we hope can help you enjoy without compromising its authentic taste and flavors.
Keto Best Coleslaw Recipes
If your entire family is on a recipe restricted diet, like a keto recipe, this recipe version will have your family craving it. It only takes up mins to make this recipe, but it will surely be a delicious recipe over some barbecue or any grilled meat recipe!
To make this recipe, chopped preferred veggies and seasonings. Mix them all up and pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix thoroughly. If you make too much, don’t worry, you can store your keto coleslaw in a tight container and store it in the fridge, and it can last for three days.
Vegan Coleslaw Recipes
This classic vegan coleslaw is perfect for any recipes in summer, and it can be done in a total of 5 mins. Easy coleslaw may have become quite an essential recipe for a side menu for summer recipes. It’s perfect and would give any recipes a hint of fresh zest.
To create this recipe version, you’ll need granulated sugar, store-bought vegan mayo, red cole, celery seed, salt, and apple cider for vinegar. Keep in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to correctly set the dressing, then serve.
Low carb Coleslaw Recipes
If you are into easy paleo low carb coleslaw, then this recipe version is right for you, and what’s more? This recipe only consists of 5 ingredients, 5 minutes to create, and it’s sugar-free! Do you still want to know more about this recipe? This recipe only contains a few grams of carbs, and we’re talking 2, yes, that’s right, 2 grams of carbs!
It is a quick recipe fix for a rush and unplanned weekday lunch, unexpected visitors, or sudden cravings. Yes, low carb coleslaw will give you all that without feeling guilty.
To create this delightful side menu, you’ll need a sugar substitute like F & C Cocoa Sugar or Erythritol Sugar, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, celery seed, and ground black pepper. You can let the mixed green sit for an hour in the refrigerator or keep it there overnight to develop flavors.
Creamy coleslaw tasty recipes
Most of the diners love an easy creamy punch in an easy coleslaw. Nobody wants a gooey and runny dip of a mess dressing. So if you say yes to all that, then you might want to try this variant because it will give you an extra delight freely.
If you don’t have the free time to chop the cole or any other veggies you want to toss in these mixed greens, you can always buy a pre-packed mixed coleslaw in the grocery store. You might find it with a red cole or just plain green cole. Anything will do.
To create a creamy and easy coleslaw, whisk together cider vinegar, salt, a dash of sugar, mayo, and parsley, some celery salt, chopped onions, and pepper. Give the mixed green 30 minutes to develop its flavor while keeping it in the fridge, then serve.
Asian cabbage salad recipes
Probably one in all these salad versions you can relate to is Asian coleslaw. This crunchy slaw can be paired up with chicken, tofu, or fish, or you can stuff it in the tacos or top it in the nachos; either way, it’s a punch that is hard to resist.
You can make this with your choice of cole, red cole, brussel sprout, carrots, bell peppers, snow peas, and broccoli.
For the minty punch, you can add cilantro and sliced scallions. For the dressing, you can use toasted sesame oil, olive oil, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, ginger finely chopped, tsp of salt, chili flakes, one garlic clove finely minced, or chili paste (optional). Using a plastic glove in your hand blends all of it entirely.
You might want to sprinkle it with toasted sesame seeds or nuts, preferably cashew nuts crushed into tiny pieces to give it a more extra layer of crunch. This dish is perfect for dinner’s fatty food for palate cleansing.
Hawaiian cabbage salad recipes
When your meal is of Hawaiian flavor, except that it has all the tropical-ish ingredients for a savory taste! Just a perfect addition to your summer get-away packed food. This Hawaiian version recipe is healthy and perfect if you are aiming to have a bikini type body.
For this Hawaiian coleslaw version, you’ll need these extra ingredients: pineapple diced, grated ginger, rice wine vinegar, honey, green onion sliced, cilantro minced, soy sauce, sesame oil, lime juice, black sesame seed, and salt to taste.
Keep in the refrigerator for 30 to 1 hour and garnish with black sesame seeds.
Sweet and Sour cabbage salad recipes
If you have a fetish for all that is sweet and sour, you might want to give this version a try. This will create an excellent addition to your already perfectly cooked main dish for contrasting tastes and layers of flavors.
To make this happen, we need vinegar and sugar for our base. You will need the slaw to be green cole, carrots, bell peppers, and green onion. For the dressing, you will only need a cup of sugar, white wine vinegar, white vinegar, or apple cider, whichever will do just fine, vegetable oil, ground mustard, celery seed, and salt to taste.
Infuse everything with your hand covered by a plastic glove for better mixing. Let it sit for hours while continually stirring it from time to time, then serve.
Buttermilk cabbage salad recipes
The last version is buttermilk coleslaw, and you will need buttermilk and some ingredients you might already be sporting in your kitchen and don’t even have an idea where to use them up. This variant has no secret ingredients, just buttermilk to give it a buttery tang while keeping your dressing coated with its thickness.
To concoct this, you need shredded cole, thinly sliced red onion, kosher salt, ground black pepper, and carrots. You will need buttermilk, mayo, apple cider, dijon mustard, and a tsp of sugar for the dressing.
Troubleshooting of the Recipe
Even how easy a dish is, mishaps and unsatisfactory results are sometimes unavoidable. Don’t panic just yet. Here, we will guide you on how you can remedy them and prevent them from occurring.
- Salty dressing – add some vinegar to combat and equalize the saltiness, or you can add cream to it to normalize the salt. In this case, you may add some extra mayo, OR you can add extra sugar.
- Watery dressing – If this occurs, chances are the extra fluid came from the veggies. To prevent this, always remove excess water from the veggies when you wash them by putting them in the Strainer and shaking it.
- The dressing is too sour – Don’t sweat it out. You can quickly remedy this by breaking a cooked chicken breast into pieces and putting them in the dressing. Please wait until it absorbs the dressing, then take them out. Now you can re-dress your mixed green.
- Soggy veggies – you can prevent the vegetables from getting even soggier by placing a dry clean paper or towel over the container. It will absorb water and condensation.
Trivia: Benefits of Coleslaw Ingredients
Coleslaw ingredients possess many complex nutrients such as Vitamins K, A, and 430% of Vit C! It is also packed with minerals such as magnesium. Cole alone has anti-cancer properties and antioxidants, apart from having essential fatty acids.
It is better to do this dish by dinner to sit on and sip the dressing entirely. By morning and lunch, it will be ready already. Also, if you have some more available for the day’s dinner, then that is excellent. After finishing it quickly, make another batch for the following breakfast to dinner.
Another tip about this menu is that you can also view it as a dessert. Some would use recipes like this to form a dessert smoothie by adding milk and crushed ice then blended very well. Another one would be incorporating recipes like this to crunchy fruits like apple and grapes, then infuse an ample amount of greek yogurt. This crunchy fruit and green dessert will give your dining table a different style and approach to recipes like this one. This could be added to your new favorites at the dining table.
Tips: Proper way to cut the cabbage for coleslaw
Chopping coleslaw, especially if you make a large batch of slaw, can take so much of your time. That is why others would prefer to buy a pre-chopped veggie mix. This will save you time in preparing recipes like this. But don’t fret; if you don’t want to buy it in the store, afraid that it has some hidden preservatives or additives, you can always dump your veggies in the food processor and finely cut them into bits.
That’s one way to cut cole for a Coleslaw. Another method would be to slice them using a Mandoline.
To prevent your veggies from getting soggy and your dressing from being watery, draw the water out from the cole by adding salt and sugar. To do this, toss salt and sugar all over the cabbage, mix until fully coated and let it do its wonder for a total of 5 mins, then rinse.
Rinse thoroughly with cold water, put them in a vegetable spinner to shake off the excess fluid, use a towel, and pat them dry. As a result, the cabbage will get firmer, and it will even deepen the color and the flavor. That’s having the greatest of both worlds by such easy steps!
Best Served With
As you know by now, what goes perfectly with these tossed greens? We want to break down the list for you if you forgot and don’t want to backread it again. So here are the foods that are extensively served with coleslaw.
- Pulled Chicken Sandwich Recipe – put this in the sandwich, and your Pulled Chicken Sandwich will ooze with aroma. One drawn menu that you will surely enjoy with the mixed greens is the Crock-Pot pulled chicken. The refreshing crunch from the assorted green will surely invite your taste buds for another bite.
- Lumpiang shanghai Recipe – Another perfect pair with this is Lumpiang Shanghai. It could serve as well as a tasty dip. Furthermore, you can fill it in the lumpia wrapper then fry it for a different mixed green experience. Just prepare a mayo dip or yogurt dip.
- Tacos Recipe – because it is tacos! And who doesn’t love cole slaw in tacos? This combination will give you crunch upon crunch. An example of these taco dishes includes Tofu Tacos. If you want a meat-free lunch or dinner, then this is the perfect menu for you. Once the tofu reaches its perfect crisp, each bite will resemble a slice of crunchy fried meat matching the mixed greens’ delicious texture.
Halibut Taco is another fantastic menu to try on with the mixed greens. The soft texture of the Halibut is an excellent combination of the crunchy texture of the mixed green. We can assure you that each bite will be exciting.
One more menu to pair with the mixed greens is the Asian Steak Taco. This Asia twist will surely give a different vibe to the mixed greens. The combination of Napa cole, golden beetroots, leeks, and ginger matches the mixed greens’ flavor. This will be your healthy venture with the mixed greens.
- Garlic bread Recipe – top your garlic bread with this delicious, and you won’t be asking for more!
- Barbecue Recipe is an excellent part of the barbecue, apart from the barbecue dressing, believe us. It’s a slice of heaven here on earth on that first bite.
- Pork and beans Recipe- We haven’t personally tried this one yet, but hey, let us all give it a try. A little mystery won’t hurt.
- Salmon Burgers – Add this mixed green menu to add a delicious bite of crunch in the middle of that burger. Not just that, it adds depth to the flavor, but it makes burger menus delicious as well because of the additional greens.
- Slow Cooker shredded beef sandwiches – in this menu, use the mixed green as a topping or on the side. This will surely give your beef a refreshing appeal on each bite.
- Fried Chicken Sandwich – this combination is nothing to be shocked with for a famous fast-food chain is already selling this in the market. The difference is that they serve it in a sealed cup as a garnish. But, for some, instead of biting it separately, they stuff it inside the sandwich for a more fantastic experience. As you munch on the chicken’s crispness, the crunchy, refreshing texture of the mixed greens will refresh your taste buds.
- Corned Beef Sandwich- Who would have thought that the usual canned good menu will match perfectly with the mixed greens? This could sign for you to try a different take on this healthy menu. Just ensure that when preparing the corned beef, stir fry it until the water has dissolved completely. Another tip will be if the corned beef has achieved a slight crisp on its meat.
- Cajun Fish Sandwich- fried dishes need something refreshing to pair with to get away with the greasy aftertaste. The combination of this sandwich and mixed greens is truly a match made in heaven.
- Shawarma – Many people love the Mediterranean taste, and one of those menu items widely known is Shawarma. That sauce that oozes in each bite is a sure taste bud winner. Moreover, many would love the idea of having a refreshing taste to pair it up with. Good thing the mixed greens is to the rescue to elevate shawarma menus.
Conclusion About the Recipe
Each menu is unique in its particular way. However, if you pair it up with something excellent, a new menu is born naturally. The great thing about it is that it gives you fulfillment upon taking a bite.
After reading everything about creating a homemade coleslaw in this article, you might have found a new kitchen friend that will save you. Cabbage salad will save you from sneaking veggies for the kids to eat and will keep you from a weekend lunch with its uncomplicated and simple-to-follow steps. And lastly, coleslaw is a great addition to pleasing the crowd over a gathering. So go ahead and make some and give us feedback on how you rock it!
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
Best Coleslaw Recipe
- 1 lb Cabbage sliced thinly
- 1 pc Carrot cut into strips
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper crush
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Pineapple Tidbits
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- Heat water in a casserole.
- Put the cabbage and soak for 2 minutes and strain.
- After straining, put the cabbage in a bowl and put the pineapple tidbits, salt, pepper and carrots.
- Mix and add the mayonnaise, then mix it again then cover and put it on the refrigerator to cold for 20 minutes.
- Serve cold and enjoy!