This menu has been in most Asian restaurants in the world or even in Western countries. In the Philippines, you can also find this on the menu of some karinderya (mini food stall restaurant). So it’s safe to say that most Filipinos know how to make the broccoli beef recipes.
What’s more impressive about this recipe is that it is quick and easy to make while utilizing simple ingredients, yet it is savory and nutritional. So if you are wondering how to prepare this recipe, we will help you make a healthy beef and broccoli dish with easy to follow steps.
If you want to know more about this dish, go through this article and fall in love with it.
What is Beef Broccoli Recipe?
What is this dish all about? You’d be surprised to know that broccoli with healthy beef originated from a Chinese recipe called Gai Lan Chao Niu Rou (芥兰炒牛肉) or Chinese Broccoli Fried Beef. But since early Chinese immigrants in the U.S. could not find a Gai Lan to complete the recipe, they substituted it with broccoli from there. You will be surprised that the absence of some ingredients in recipes will give birth to innovative ones.
Chinese serve this dish mostly during January during festivities. Festivities like Chinese New Year during January 25-February 8, Qinhuai International Lantern Festival from January 25- February 19, Chinese New Year in Shanghai during January 25-30, and Xiamen International Marathon every January 12. This festival serves this dish as a welcoming part of its participants and special guests.
This healthy beef delicacy is a delectable recipe served as a garnish to a bowl of hot-steaming rice by most Asians. It could be a side dish, or others make this as a stuffing. It consists of crisp broccoli florets and tender beef stripped into thin slices in a creamy soy sauce combined with sugar and oyster sauce.
How To Cook The Beef Broccoli Marinade Sauce
Okay, you have the ingredients, and you might be wondering how to level up the game of your chump and broccoli marinade to your heart’s content. Beef meat and broccoli jus is an uncomplicated jus to make. This article will share how to make the jus of chump and broccoli, just like a pro.
Many countries have adapted chump recipes, so the jus’s ingredients could vary depending on where it is made or who made it. In the Philippines, it is simply made out of the water, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and some garlic and onions.
However, in countries like China, they apply other ingredients to make a distinctive jus. Listed here in bullets are the typical ingredients utilized to make chump and broccoli jus.
- Chinese wine – this is essential in Chinese cuisine. This is utilized mainly in stir fry jus’s, broth, and marinades. Also known as Shaoxing wine and is primarily used in marinades, broths, and soups. If you do not have fresh chump available, you can use Shaoxing wine to lessen the dish’s pungent smell.
- Mirin (Japanese wine) – this type of Japanese cooking wine is much paired with soy sauce. Avail oneself of this if you want that umami taste. If you wish to have a kick of sweet and savory at your dish, Mirin is a perfect partner for you. Due to its sweet taste, it also helps thicken the gravy. It also removes gamy and fishy notes on dishes.
- Sherry – If you don’t have Chinese cooking wine or Mirin, you can always apply a sherry. Utilize a tablespoon of this, and you’ll be rocking that jus. Sherry has a sweet taste, too, like red wine. Be mindful that it only lasts days after the bottle is opened. Some use salt to preserve it even longer.
- Sesame oil – toasted sesame oil will give depth to the flavor and increase the jus’ creamy texture. Furthermore, it is the perfect match for soy sauce. Koreans often use food recipes with this. It is loaded with nutritional benefits that may benefit your heart for its omega-6 fatty acids, joints, and skin for its Vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant.
- Cornstarch – dissolve this, then combine with the rest of the ingredients, and it will consequently give a thick consistency to your jus.
- Chinese black bean jus – this pretty goes well with vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, green beans. This jus is often applied in frizzling, too! Chinese black bean jus is low in fat content and a good source of vitamin E, calcium, iron, and manganese. It is a suitable replacement for condiments like mayonnaise, ketchup, and butter due to its spicy and tangy taste.
Wherever you are in the world, creating this will be very special if you include something that will reflect your culture—the same dish but with a different twist. If you have foreign visitors living with you, it is also a good pastime to battle, which version is better. Action in a friendly way while you will know more about their culture in a gastronomic way.
Ways To Cook Beef Broccoli With A Heart
Like any other healthy recipes, it evolved in time. People have created some innovative methods in putting up this healthy beef meal. Below are the variety of recipe innovations to make this a delightful dish for everyone.
Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli Recipe
If you want to spruce up your kitchen, you can do instant pot chump and broccoli on a lazy day. It’s okay, healthy, and straightforward. Simmering the chump in an instant pot will make it so tenderly appetizing that it will almost melt in your mouth. Simply combine all the ingredients in the jus compartment, whisk them, and set aside.
Turn your Instant Pot in a Saute mode and wait till it reads HOT. Put vegetable oil and wait until it gets hot then layer your chump. Don’t overturn the chump and wait until 2 min/s for each side to make sure it gets a nice sear on one side.
Put in a plate, set aside, and cover it with foil. Then, put ¼ cup of water in the pot to dilute any sediments in the pot. Put the beef back in the pot, then pour out the jus batter and blend. Close the lid for 10 mins on HIGH PRESSURE then another 10 mins Natural Release. After 10 min/s of NPR, turn off the pot. Open the cover to release the remaining pressure slowly.
Electric pressure cookers like instant pots are a piece of energy-efficient equipment in the kitchen. Furthermore, it is second to the microwave oven. The benefit of using an instant pot is that the chamber (inside the pot) is fully insulated with a small amount of energy. Hence, you are preparing a meal in an energy-saving way.
Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
If you don’t have an Instant Pot at home, worry not. You can do this version to serve your healthy beef and broccoli stir fry in a pan. To ensure a short preparation time and excellent results, you’ll have to pick the chump’s most tender part. Broccoli Stir fry requires high heat.
After browning the flesh, combine the jus mixture and broccoli florets. Make sure everything is simmered evenly. Serve hot with hot steamed plain rice.
The benefit of having this type of method in preparing this dish is that it keeps the vegetable tender-crisp, locking the nutritional value fresh. Unlike simmering, wherein the original nutritions are being stripped off with the vegetable.
Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli Recipe
In this version, grab a healthy chunk of sirloin steak. Cut steak into strips with the same portion. For the jus, put together chump broth, cornstarch, sesame oil, Kikkoman, minced garlic, and brown sugar. Set in the chump and minced garlic in a Slow Cooker, blend.
Pour the jus concoction in the Slow Cooker with the chump. Simmer for 2 ½ hours to 3 ½ or until the chump is simmered through. Dissolve cornstarch, then combine to the mix and blend well. Bring in the broccoli, simmering until it softened. If desired, serve this meal with hot steaming plain rice.
Slow cooking the beef is the healthiest way of preparing this dish. It ensures that the chump is well done and tender.
A slow cooker such as a Crockpot brings out the flavor in foods. The principle of utilizing a Crockpot is the same with Slow Cooker –to tenderize less expensive cuts of chump such as chump.
To make Crockpot cow’s flesh and broccoli, bring in the chump in the pot. Pour in the soy sauce, brown sugar, chump broth, sesame oil, and garlic. Simmer on low fire for about 3 hrs or until the steak has tenderized, keep the lid close.
Finally, when the steak is tender, scoop two spoons of the broth, dissolve the cornstarch and combine it to the mix. Toss in the broccoli florets, cover, and simmer it for another 15-20 min/s. This can be the perfect dinner for everyone.
This is a more healthy way of preparing this as well. The principle of having crockpots is to make sure that food will be done low and slow. This also prevents the formation of cancer-causing compounds. Hence, you can make sure that you are only serving delectable and nutritional food at your table.
Pressure Cooker Recipe
You might find making Pressure Cooker chump and broccoli a daunting task, but don’t get there yet until you try following these simple steps in preparing this hearty recipe.
You can choose flank steak, cut into thin strips. Cut the onions and broccoli. In a bowl, combine brown sugar, minced garlic and ginger, chump broth, low sodium Kikkoman, and sesame oil. Put this mixture on the chump. Mix with hands with little squeezing so the chump can better absorb all the flavor.
After you put in 3 tablespoons/tbsp of vegetable oil, toss in the whole thing, simmering it in manual high pressure for 10 min/s. Then quickly release the pressure valve. Get at least ½ cup of the juices, then dissolve two tablespoons of cornstarch and whisk with a fork. Put in the mixture in the pressure cooker and mix well.
Lastly, add the broccoli to the pressure cooker then simmer for another 10 minutes. Serve hot as a viand or garnish.
This method helps lock in sensitive health nutrients, and it also requires a short time to finish a dish.
Variations of Beef Broccoli Recipes
You’d be stoked to know that there are variations of this dish, especially for living a healthy lifestyle. These beneficial variants will delight your inner Adelle Davis. Make sure you follow each step carefully, and you’ll be having its version perfect for your type of diet.
Keto Broccoli and Beef Recipe
If you opt to have a healthy dish to serve the whole family for dinner, keto broccoli and veal are the right choices. Not only is it easy to make, but it also yields less than 20 minutes to simmer. All you need is sirloin steak cut into thin strips, minced garlic, veal’s stock, and oyster sauce; you can have Lee Kum Kee Panda Brand Oyster Sauce, toasted sesame oil, grated ginger, broccoli florets, and olive oil. Lee Kum Kee Panda Brand is widely available in shopping malls or local Chinese stores.
For keto broccoli and chump, combine all the ingredients in the jus compartment. Add the chump and mix everything thoroughly. While the chump is being marinated, heat the wok and put in the olive oil. When the oil is hot enough, hurl in the florets, stir fry until softened.
Next, cast in the chump that you removed from the marinade to the wok and stir fry/fry for 2 to 3 minutes. When the chump is well done, pour in the jus. In over high heat, continue frizzling the mix until it thickens.
A serving of this keto dish only has 6 grams of carbohydrates. Also, it will make you feel full without giving up the quality of the taste. Hence, it is a very keto-friendly dish.
At last, you have your keto broccoli and veal in a period. Enjoy eating it with a whole cup of cauliflower rice.
Vegan Beef and Broccoli Recipe
If you want an easy-to-prepare and healthier version of this dish, you’ll never go wrong with vegan veal broccoli. Vegan folks can also indulge in this type of healthy dish with minor swapping of the main ingredient, which is the chump, of course.
In this version, we’ll have Seitan as a veal replacement. Seitan is a vegetarian food made from wheat gluten. If you want to make your Seitan, you can have the guide here. We will also replace the used veal stock into the vegetable broth, and the rest of the ingredients shall remain as it is.
You can make your vegetable broth by boiling carrots, onions, and celery. You can add other vegetables and herbs like mushrooms, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, scallions, leek, or bell peppers. Do not add vegetables like potatoes, for it sips the flavor of the jus. You can experiment with the vegetable that you are going to add to achieve the desired broth taste. Seitan is available at any shopping store that caters to vegan ingredients.
Now let’s start preparing your vegan veal and broccoli. In a bowl, mix everything in the compartment. Whisk it thoroughly. Heat the pan and put in 2 to 3 spoons of vegetable oil. Saute in the Seitan for 3 minutes or until brown. Pour in the jus in the pan, stir in high heat until the juice thickens.
Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top and serve as you desired. You may also like to change your eating lifestyle after trying this vegan dish. Furthermore, it is also a great help if you are trying to lose weight. What an animal-loving way of having a flavorful dish.
Gluten-Free Beef and Broccoli Recipe
A gluten-free diet is not only for those cutting their gluten intake for slimming down their body, but we also know that some people have medical illnesses that restrict them from eating anything with gluten. If you are that person, then don’t worry; this version is made suitable for you.
In the same way, we will have the ingredients in the last versions of healthy veal broccoli, and this variant has the same ingredients only that you’ll be needing a gluten-free soy sauce instead. In a bowl, add chump, ¼ cup of water and ¼ cup of soy sauce, black pepper, and minced garlic. Marinade and set aside.
Next, heat the pan, put three spoonfuls of oil. Stir-fry the chump until it’s no longer pink. Toss in the broccoli florets and simmer for another 3 minutes’ time.
Prepare cold water, pour it in a bowl with a cornstarch teaspoon, stir to dissolve, brown sugar, sesame oil, ginger, ¼ cup soy sauce, whisk them together, and add the mixture to the veal and simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle your gluten-free veal and broccoli with a teaspoon of sesame seed and serve hot.
For those who would like to gain weight nutritionally, this dish is perfect for you. The gluten-free diet also improves energy levels, eliminates bloatedness, reduces joint pains, reduces depression, reduces lactose intolerance, and enhances bone health. This is another nutritional take on a dish.
Low Carb Beef and Broccoli Recipe
In this method, you’ll need coconut aminos. It’s a top and healthy alternative for the regular soy sauce we typically utilize—marinade with the chump for an hour. Then proceed with the same steps as the rest of the version here. Serve hot and enjoy your low carb veal and broccoli.
This is similar to the keto diet. This type of dish is preferred by those who are trying to lose weight faster.
Troubleshooting the Recipe
Like other recipes, errors are unavoidable but don’t worry. We got you! Make sure to follow the following easy remedy.
- Salty – splash the mix with water until you reach your desired taste of it. You can also drop some raw potatoes to seep out the excess saltiness. Another way is by adding sodium-free broth or other non-salty liquid. Be mindful that you need to add little by little. Gradually taste it until you reach the desired taste.
- Meat is rubbery – Recipes sometimes fail either underdone or overdone. To fix this, remove the other ingredients such as the broccoli, stir-fry the veal again, and slowly simmer it. You can also shred it then toss on the gravy.
- Runny jus – simmer the whole thing again in high heat for at least a minute while frequently stirring it. Spruce it up with a bit of cornstarch if you want it to be thick. Gluten-free alternatives like arrowroot and cornstarch are some ways of thickening the gravy. It also keeps the liquid cloud-free.
Remember that for every whole cup of liquid, you will need a tablespoon of cornstarch. Also, dissolve the cornstarch in a separate bowl of water. Do not put the cornstarch directly to the simmering dish. The cornstarch will form lumps instead of thickening the jus.
Trivia: Benefits of Beef Broccoli Ingredients
We would like to make you even more convinced that veal broccoli is a delightful dish to serve the whole family for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Let’s talk about its health benefits, mainly when you apply the method of slow roasting. Slow simmering will help you seal in the moisture and all the nutrients of your veal and broccoli ingredients intact within every piece of this delectable dish.
Recipes like this will give you the absolute freedom to add any ingredient you like to match the dish’s taste. You can try having chicken or pork as an alternative if you want to experiment on the preference.
This dish will help you to be in good shape. For those strict with their diet, especially with calorie intake, this dish has 306 calories per serving. If you add half of a brown rice cup, it will increase to 108 calories per serving.
- To cut your kitchen time, prepare everything ahead like mince and grate the garlic and ginger beforehand.
- Shop the freshest ingredients to ensure the taste quality of the dish.
- Marinade the veal well for an hour to increase the flavorful taste.
- We recommend veal because it is much tender and juicy than a regular red chump. It will also lessen your prep time because it requires lesser heat exposure.
- To make the dish even more nutritious, cook it yourself instead of taking it out from a restaurant.
- You can also add a teaspoon of oyster sauce to add color and extra taste.
- Lacey Baier, A Sweet Pea Chef author, mentioned that having olive oil in sauteing the ingredients will make the dish more healthy.
- You can also try coconut sugar instead of brown sugar.
- Try a teaspoon of low sodium soy sauce instead of regular soy sauce, as per Lacey Baier.
- Lacey Baier also suggests pairing this dish with brown rice.
- The cut on the chump is also crucial in ensuring that it will be served at its finest. Slice the chump thinly, and across it, the grain is a great tip to achieve maximum tenderness.
- If you have chicken as an alternative chump, you can prepare it ahead and add it once the jus and vegetables are done. This is to ensure the tenderness of the chicken.
- Another thing about chicken is that it tastes less than a red chump. Adjusting the taste using condiments like salt and pepper will help achieve the desired taste. It is also great for dinner for it is digested easily at night.
- Chicken flesh is an excellent alternative for those who are on a low carbohydrate diet or keto lifestyle. This is because the chicken has a lesser calorie count than a red chump. The chicken flavor is not that stronger than a red chump. We do not want to ruin your diet or make you gain weight, a great alternative.
Greatly Served With
This one could be great paired with the following.
- Carbonara – As a whole, the creaminess of carbonara will go well with the salty taste of your dish.
- Pancit Bihon – stir-fry flesh such as this will always be a perfect pair with noodles as garnish or side dishes.
- Tea – hot or cold tea is a must when eating this meal. Tea can cleanse your stomach and help you digest hard to break down food such as this. If you are serving this meal for dinner, make sure to fill it with hot tea to eliminate unwanted fats.
- Sinigang soup – to water down this delectable bite, pair it with an equally hot bowl of sinigang.
- Fried Chicken – hot plain rice, fried chicken meat, and veal broccoli have both worlds’ most significant.
Asians are best and very versatile in improving the recipe for their dishes for their family. They are known for being creative, and with the methods, we provided on how to prepare good dishes like this, you can start creating your version of this flavorful recipe.
The varieties of this dish evolve so much through the centuries. Also, the influence of different cultures contributes to the changes that this dish has encountered. Nonetheless, all versions are terrific because it introduces someone’s way of expressing their culture gastronomically.
As a whole, we would like to offer different ways to serve this dish. Moreover, we would like to cover all walks of life to ensure everyone can have a delectable meal on their table.
Make your family breakfast, lunch, and special dinner with this meal. We hope we have guided you well in making this healthy recipe for you and your family.
For more delicious recipes, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
- 1 lb Beef sliced into thin pieces
- 1/2 tsp Ground black pepper
- 4 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 pc Onion large, cubed
- 1/4 cup Soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1 lb Broccoli shredded
- 6 cups Water
- Heat oil in a cooking pan.
- Once the oil is hot, saute garlic until brown. Then add the onions and beef. Stir well.
- Pour-in soy sauce, water and black pepper, then cook for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Note: Wait until the meat is tender. Add more water if needed.
- Then add oyster sauce and broccoli. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Ready to serve!