Burger steak has invaded all different cuisines in the world and has been adapted on the menu of most fast-food chains of restaurants. Need not to say that it has become typical comfort food. You can see it everywhere from the list of fine dining restos down to small cheaply burger stalls.
Burger steak is what most Asians would have for their to-go food. In this article, we will share with you how to make a steak burger at the comfort of your home, especially when the kids are craving a burger from that famous fast-food chain.
So are you ready to learn how to cook burger steak more deliciously than any fast-food chain in the country? Now is the time to shine your inner Heston Blumenthal! But first, what is a steak burger, and how did it come to be?
What is Burger Steak
To cook this most enjoyed burgers like a pro, we need to understand its origin. Although hamburger is America's favorite comfort food, the original burger steak recipes did not originate from there. For a bit of background, the ground steak was actually from a different country and place. It originated from Hamburg, Germany.
In the 19th century, beef from the German Hamburg cows was minced and combined with ground garlic, ground onions, salt, and ground pepper, formed into burger patties (without the buns) to cook Hamburger steak. Later, recipes evolved to a burger steak when a cook from Texas put it between buns, most historians believe.
Hamburg people were particular with hamburger steak/burgers recipes on how they enjoyed their type of meat. The burgers meat should come from cows grazed and fed with grass, and there should be no artificial growers or vitamins given to these cows. In other words, the burgers meat should be from cows grown naturally in farms. The reason behind this is they find burgers meat coming from these cows are more tender and fresh and reddish or pinkish compared to cows who were fed vitamins and boosters.
Burger patty recipes differ and sometimes based on where they are made. Some like it plain, and others would like their burgers spicy and peppery—some like their burgers juicy and sweet.
The earlier recipe was considered gourmet and was pricey. Until this burgers recipe adapted and Westernized, thus became the hamburgers that we all love. Today, burger patties and burger patty recipes come in different sizes, shapes, and variations of ingredients too.
A burger patty comes in different variations and what they up with. Nowadays, companies and individuals offer healthier options when it comes to the burger patty. For non-meat eaters, ground burgers made from plant-based ingredients provide an all-meat taste without hinting that it is not real ground meat. A burger patty with herbs is also a thing for some people. Aside from the meat, they again go for the herb aftertaste, but nothing beats the mouth-watering yet straightforward basic burger patty used for steaks.
So if you plan to cook burger steak, we will help you turn that plain burger patty into a sumptuous burger meal for your family.
To create your steak extra yummy burger patty, you might consider the following ingredients on most recipes:
- Ground beef with a fat ratio of 80/20 chuck to attain that flavor and tenderness. Use what is enough to cook a burger patty.
- Slice of white bread or two for crumbs
- Use Canola oil for a healthier option.
- 14 ounces button mushrooms sliced and drained
Perfect Recipes on How to make Gravy for Burger Steak
The best gravy is what makes a luscious, savory burger steak. First, let us guide you on how to make gravy for burger steak.
A roux is an essential thickener used in making gravies and sauces. It is a combination of fats and flour cooked together. So what we are going to use for that is the grease from frying the burger patty. What a delicious combination!
Some people also use the best chicken or top meat broth as the liquid base for their gravy. It helps give the dressing the Umami taste that some foodies are after. It also helps with the consistency of the dressing as long as the mixture is not too saturated. The stock helps give that gravy the aftertaste that some people go for.
We begin by adding melted butter to the saucepan. Do not let the butter turn too brown or dark-colored because burning it would give the gravy a bitter taste. When it starts to bubble, gradually pour in the flour and stir continuously with a whisk. You have to cook the flour for 8 minutes tops to get rid of the floury taste. Some people mix the flour in a little bit of hot water to prevent flour build up.
On top of that, check for the color of the dish. When the mixture turns golden but not too dark in color, gradually pour in your chicken or beef broth. Whisk continuously until the sauce thickens, but don’t stir the gravy for an extended period; the sauce might get runny.
When it thickens, you can add in all other components you want to include. You can also choose to have corn, depending on your preference. Better sprinkle with salt and black pepper to taste but consider even pouring in whole peppercorns, again, depending on your preference.
It is always better to keep the gravy warm, at least so people can enjoy the burger dish more. Pouring the dressing over the burger patty while it is still warm makes it more tender too.
A gravy may come to you differently depending on how you want it to taste. Some people prefer their dressing on the salty side, and some people like it sweet too. Others prefer spicy gravy sometimes, so the variety of the dressing you want on your burger steak depends on your mood during the day.
Recipes Variations that you can quickly cook
Just like any other recipe, you can be as adventurous as how you did to other recipes that you know. There aren’t so many burger steak variations known in a patty world, but we guess the sauce is a great deal for the overall composition of a burger steak.
People from all walks of life love a saucy burger steak; some like it dry too. So, we list down some variations of this burger recipe that you might find to your liking. Don’t worry; they are not too complicated to make, just like the classic burger steak’s recipe.
Creamy Corn Pepper Burger Steak
Do you want to increase the burger hype? Then, try to experience the delight with the creamy corn pepper burger steak. In this variant, the perfectly grilled or deep-fried burger patty, mixed with flavorful spices, and colorful kernel corns and button mushrooms, will just bring you up into ecstasy. Also, the corn on top of the recipe makes it so delectably delicious to eat.
Some people prefer having the creamy Corn Pepper Burger steak like different tastes while enjoying this recipe. They want a little bit of color contrast seeing some yellow bits of corn and prefer its sweetness.
A creamy sauce, made of milk, beef stock, and some spices, is poured into the burger to increase further. The immaculate creamy sauce complements well with the juiciness of the tender burger patty. That’s why when you try to do this, do not mess up with the sauce.
Hence, the combination of the juicy and tender ground burger patty with luscious creamy sauce in your mouth resonates like eating in an expensive yet romantic fine dining restaurant. This burger recipe version is indeed a game-changer in this recipe. Yet, the ingredients do not consume so much of your budget for cooking this delicious burger recipe.
Keto Burger Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Are you on a diet schedule, but you can’t resist enjoying your top burger steaks dining without increasing your carb intake? Well then, the keto burger steak is the perfect variant for you. It is pairing your luscious burger steak with a serving of cauliflower rice instead of potatoes or the regular plain white rice. Hence, any meal with the term keto implies low in carb by high in fat.
You can also use onion soup in a recipe like this. This is easy to cook, just cook with white pepper, onion powder, onion flakes, whole onions, celery seeds, and parsley powder, then sear it. That is how you cook homemade onion soup.
But don’t worry because this healthy meal still causes an exploding of delightful flavors. In this variant, your tender, juicy burger patty will have a gratifying thickened sauce and gravy. Thus, this smack induces a bursting punch of zests over your taste buds.
We are glad to continue presenting the benefit of a Ketogenic diet in someone's health. It is more than just slimming your body and shaping your waistline. When you are under keto, your body changes the way it fuels the body. If before your body uses carbohydrates and protein as the main supply for energy, now it will be the ketones that will take over. The liver releases ketones. With this, your body strengthens even more. Also, it increases heart health and lowers inflammation.
Japanese Hamburger Steak
This one is first cooked and served in Yokohama. This Japanese Hamburger with cheese on top, Japanese curry, and tomato sauce instead of gravy. This cooked recipe started to conquer the Japanese shores in the time of Emperor Meiji. From that time, cooked recipes like this served for high-end restaurants. As time passed, food processing technology innovation paved the way for serving recipes like this to be served and cooked at regular households.
Finland Style Hamburger Steak
Finland’s hamburger steak version of recipes like this goes with the same ingredients but different cooking methods. Instead of having this hamburger steak in a patty structure, they do it meatball style. They also pan fry it and serve it with potatoes and brown sauce.
Troubleshooting Beef Recipes
Though this best burger recipe is relatively easy to make, there will be moments when you will spill a little too much or too little of everything. Here we are glad to continue to help you find solutions when that happens.
- The sauce is too thick.
This is the result of too little liquid and too much flour. When this happens, you can always add some water to uncurdled the sauce. It is greater if you will use the beef stock as the liquid to ensure that the sauce's flavor will still hit the right marks.
- The sauce is too runny and thin.
If the above is too little water, this mishap is too much liquid infused into the mix. If you encounter this, you can always add extra flour and make a quick stir on high heat for a minute, and you'll see your sauce start to thicken. Ensure that you are on low fire because the flour will burn before it thickens the sauce. You can add a little bit of butter to make sure that the flavors are still intact after the adjustment.
Salty gravy/sauce: Add liquid
If this occurs, add some water and flour and dilute by mixing it well. Aside from adding flour and water, you can add a little bit of butter. This will make the flavors rich and creamy.
Salty burgers: Add flour
Unfortunately, there is no remedy when the salt has already cooked or absorbed the food, but we can add a little bit of everything to take down a bit of the salinity. You can either cut down the salt content of your sauce to compliment it.
Another fix for this would be making sure that your sauce is spot on. Also, mashed potato or white rice as a side recipe will lessen the salinity.
- Burned Sauce
There is no fix on a burned sauce. We are glad to inform you that next time, make sure to cook on low fire and slowly so you can monitor the sauce's flavor very well. There should always be patience in cooking, and it will start cooking on a low fire. Slowly but surely.
- Burned Burger
Unlike sauce, this is relatively easy to fix. Just remove the burned area and then cook once again in a very low fire. If it burned up to the center, that is a sign that you need to redo all over again.
Who doesn’t like fun trivia? Come on, this is a burger we are gladly talking about, and we’re telling you there's a lot of fascinating trivia that surrounds this burger recipe!
- The name of Hamburger is from the Hamburg steaks brought by the Germans to the USA. (The famed Hamburg beef, yep, that's the one.)
- If every American hamburger eaten by every American in one year is assembling in a straight line, it will go around the Earth over 32 times. (Whoa, does that mean it’s their staple food just like rice with the Asians?)
- Hamburgers are famous during World War 2 as Liberty Sandwiches in an attempt to avoid using German names. (Because, you know how hard it is to pronounce even just “one” German word, Richtig?)
- It was common practice that people use beaten eggs and added into the beef patties mixture to keep its shape and form while cooking. Nowadays, adding eggs is just considered an option.
- Some countries do not use ketchup in their burgers but prefer just the mayo and the mustard.
- A Burger patty is also called Meat cookies at some point during the world war.
Because everyone gladly loves a good tip, your burger steaks could be the best burger recipe you have ever cooked if you are careful. To help you achieve that, here are the tips we gather just for you.
- Opt for freshly made bread crumbs, not dried ones, for a better binding yet lighter texture. There is a secret to ultra moist meatballs or loaves in the panade by soaking bread crumbs in milk or stock for a few minutes until softened. It is always a good feeling to bite into that best burger with soft, fresh bread.
- However tempted you are, do not flatten down the burger patty; doing so will release juices, losing the burger’s flavors; also, the juices are responsible for keeping the patty moist.
- To keep the beef patties from bulging in the middle while cooking it, poke the burger patty, or make an indentation in the center of the best burger patty itself.
- Make sure to cook on a low fire to avoid burning the meat. In this case, patience is a virtue. Remember to take it slow to achieve the perfection that you are aiming for.
- For those who don't eat cow meat, they can change it to pork. Pork also has a great flavor that you will not think it is not beef. Just adjust the flavorings that you will add to the pork to make sure it is seasoned well.
Best Served With
Okay, so the last question would be, what goes well with this best burger recipe? Here is the list of what would gladly be the best pair to go with it.
- Sandwich - Of all the things on this list, this is the combination for a burger patty recipe. Burger with bread is one of the best creations that happened on Earth. This is because it is a complete meal already in one bite.
- Lumpiang shanghai - If you wonder if Lumpiang Shanghai could be the best pair for burger steak, it’s a loud YES! One of the famous fast-food chains in the Philippines has these burgers delight on their menu. It has been an excellent surprise for Filipinos when they discovered that the two individually unique recipes would click as one complete meal.
- Soft Drinks - Every recipe and meal is the best partner with a soft drink, and everyone will agree to that. You want that noisy and big, but after you consumed all that burger on your plate, yea? After drinking a glass of soft drinks with a recipe like this, you will give out a loud burp that is so satisfying.
- Sinigang soup or Nilaga soup - the soup’s sour flavor combined with the burgers saltiness and creaminess will be massive on the taste buds while you devour that burger patty. Als, the soup will give a light texture to this creamy and rich recipe like this.
- Mushroom gravy - of course, this recipe wouldn’t stand a chance without the savory mushroom gravy to pair it with your juicy burger patty.
- Pita Bread - Some prefer using pita instead of the typical bread or buns we know on their burgers.
- Coleslaw or salad - Who wouldn’t? It should be a crime if people do not prefer having coleslaw on their burgers too.
- Adobo rice - the famous Philippine flavor is a perfect pair to a burgers’ recipe. Grab a spoonful of the adobo rice with a slice of this recipe. Ensure that you will have your dish/recipe oozing with the gravy because the adobo flakes go well with the burger.
- Macaroni Salad - This side for burgers is famous in the Hawaiian region. They usually serve this recipe on a plate. The plate looks full of steak, mashed potato or rice, and macaroni salad. The creamy taste of the salad makes it a refreshing bite after eating an earthy flavored recipe.
- Milk tea - This beverage has been a trend nowadays. The milky and earthy flavor of burgers like this drink will surely refresh your palate after eating a heavy, earthy tasting meal. Also, the tapioca pearls are something good to munch on after a flavorful recipe. What is excellent about this beverage is that it is a beverage and a dessert at the same time.
- French Fries - one famous fast-food chain in the Philippines serve burgers’ recipe with classic french fries. Thus Filipinos discovered that fries go well with this recipe.
- Sunnyside up. - Another fast-food chain in the Philippines served a recipe for burgers like this in this way. A bed of fries at the bottom, the steaks smothered in gravy, and then sunny side up to finish the stack. To eat it, slice the egg in half to unleash that bright sunny yolk that goes well with the gravy making it more creamy.
- Smoky Pinto Beans - these beans go well with the rich taste of the burgers' gravy. Also, this is one of the healthy side recipes that you can have. Pinto beans are full of nutrients that help you avoid chronic diseases. Aside from that, it is an excellent source of protein, fiber, vitamins, and more.
- Soft sundae - Well, another fast-food chain makes it popular by serving a soft sundae with chocolate fudge together with a recipe of burgers like this.
- Italian Pasta Salad - This tasty Italian recipe goes well with almost everything. The burgers’ gravy is a perfect pair to the flavor of the Italian Pasta salad. Also, the salad will give a different depth of taste after a bite of this recipe.
- Watermelon Strawberry Caprese Salad. - Who wouldn't want to have a refreshing finish to a burgers' hearty meal like this. The watermelon will indeed cleanse your palate because, let us admit, this recipe has a strong aftertaste that, even if you drink water, it will not go away.
There are lots of health benefits to this side dish. Watermelon is rich in nutrients that promote a healthy heart. It is also full of an amino acid called citrulline that helps lower blood pressure.
Aside from that, it has lycopene as well, which is excellent for your heart. In addition to that, A slice of watermelon lowers the risk of a heart attack. Ideally, watermelon is partnered with strawberry because it is a protector of the heart.
A strawberry increases good cholesterol in the body. It is also sodium-free, fat-free, and has low calories, which is good for losing weight. Don't be afraid if you have eaten a lot of this beef recipe because, with this watermelon and strawberry Caprese salad, your heart health is with tight security.
- Peach and Burrata Panzanella- That sweet peaches and the fantastic bread salad made a perfect combination with beef and burgers’ recipes like this. This side recipe is one of the great partners of burgers because of its refreshing taste. For a change, you can also grill the peaches for a charred flavor.
Peach is a great fruit because it is full of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals essential to the body. Also, it helps in digestion because of its fiber content, improves heart health, and protects the skin. Aside from that, it covers your body from formulating cancer cells and reduces allergy symptoms.
- Creamed Spinach - Spinach is undeniably a perfect pair to the gravy of recipes like this. Also, you eat it by enveloping the meat to the spinach leaves. That will make a difference in indulging this beef recipe.
You may see this in your garden as a big shrub, but it is more than that. Spinach is rich in iron needed by your red blood cells to supply sufficient oxygen in the body. Also, it has folic acid, which is required by pregnant women. If you are pregnant and are craving for this beef recipe like what we have, pair it up with this spinach side recipe to keep your unborn baby healthy.
Also, it has Vitamin K, A, C, manganese magnesium, and B2.
- Classic Potato Salad - Even though this side recipe has mayonnaise, it will not stop it from being one of the great pairs with beef and burgers recipes like this. Just imagine that you are eating a burger but without the buns.
By the way, potatoes are also nutritious. It helps in maintaining blood sugar at an average rate, boosts immunity, and improves heart health.
- Sun-dried tomatoes - You will be amazed at how this sweet-tart and dried flavors will go well with beef and burgers recipes like this. A little goes a long with these sun-dried tomatoes. Just munch a bit as a side, and your good to go.
- Steamed Asparagus - Now, this one is a classic. Nothing goes wrong when beef and burgers recipes like this with a steamed asparagus recipe. It just made recipes like this even healthier. Also, the asparagus crunch goes well with the soft and luscious gravy of recipes like this. Again, you can try grilling the asparagus to achieve a unique smoky flavor that goes well with recipes like this.
- Grilled Corn on the Cob - this one is a.great summer grill special. Also, grilled corn always goes well with recipes since the beginning of time. You can dip the grilled corn into the creamy, rich gravy of recipes like this. Besides, the grilled corn serves as the carbohydrate feature in recipes like this.
Instead of using white rice, you can just replace it with this grilled corn. The charred grilled flavor on the grilled corn cooks that smoky flavor that is great for recipes like this before we forgot. Aside from being a delicious grill partner of recipes like this, grilled corn has lots of nutrients that you can benefit from.
For example, grilled corn is high in fiber, making it a great aid to digestion. Also, grilled corn prevents you from being bloated and suffering from cramps. Grilled corn also improves eye health and has magnesium, folate, iron, copper, zinc, and manganese as nutrients added.
- Garlic Smashed Potato - this is similar to the regular mashed potato only that this one is with garlic-infused. You can use garlic powder or ground garlic to infuse the flavor. Whichever you are going to use, it will. Still taste perfect.
- Oven-fried pickles - with burgers recipes like this, we often look for a side that has acidity in it to break down the recipe's fatty and earthy flavor. No worries because we got your back! Oven-fried pickles are crunchy and juicy at the same time. It gives recipes like this that tangy and sweet flavor that will cleanse your palate afterward.
- Bacon Ranch Potato Salad - Eating the burgers patty alone is dull because it is soft and luscious. Why not elevate it by putting crunchy and salty bacon strips? Bacon Ranch Potato Salad is perfect for recipes like this because it adds crunch and other depth of texture and flavor to the recipe making it a complete recipe to dig in.
- Balsamic Grilled Mushrooms - since burgers’ recipes like this consist of mushrooms, why not add more? If you are a lover of recipes like this, this grilled side recipe is perfect. You can put this grilled side recipe on the side or just stuff it inside the burger. Whichever you prefer, it will be a bomb in your mouth. Also, the grilled flavor on the side recipe will have a significant impact on the taste.
Learning how to cook burger steak is becoming the natural and better comfort food of most Asians. It is hard to ignore this burger recipe and not put on your weekly recipe once in a while. Having gone through this article, we are confident that it puts a great spot in your heart for you to cook it. You can cook your very own version of burger steak without having to depend on the take-out or knock on the drive-through window to get it.
You might want to consider looking at different recipes online too. Some variations of this recipe are online, and they differ from country to country. Sometimes, this recipe's variations are different in that country because different cultures in other regions may vary. For example, in the Philippines, which has an archipelago of more than seven thousand one hundred islands, people have different food preferences. Some regions like it spicy, some would like it sweet.
Food experts are known as food technicians who currently try and improve the recipe by using different ingredients' best variations.
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
Best Burger Steak Recipe
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 pc Onion diced
- 1 stem Celery diced
- 1 pc Egg
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ tablespoon Salt to taste
- ½ cup Breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Mushroom Button sliced
- 1 cup Cooking oil
- 1 cup Butter
- 1 cup Nestle Cream
- 1 cup Flour
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- In a bowl, put ground beef then sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- Add the breadcrumbs, celery, onions, and egg. Mix thoroughly then refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Then divide the mixture into individual serving pieces and create a burger patty with each piece.Note: Roll the mixture into balls and flatten them on an even surface.
- Heat a frying pan and put-in the patties. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until patties are cooked. Set aside.
- Remove the oil from the pan and melt-in the butter. Put the flour and stir well while pouring water on the pan. Let it boil.
- Then add the beef broth, mushroom, black pepper and salt. Let it boil. Set aside.
- Prepare the burger patties and pour on top the sauce mixture.
- Serve while hot!