Chicken A.King recipes are unique dishes/recipes that we can only eat during festivities or when dining at classic Filipino restaurants. Because of the recipes’ rarity, seldom do ordinary people have the opportunity to eat. Thanks to the giant fast-food chain McDonald’s for introducing its broiler fillet variant with rice recipes.
This article will provide you with the things you need to know how to create this connection’s broiler meal recipe. In doing so, you need not go to social gatherings to eat this fine cuisine—Cook recipes like this to satisfy your cravings whenever you want in the comforts of your home.
Recipes like this invite hungry stomachs to dive in and indulge in its deliciousness. It is easy to cook and very welcoming on the bench as well. You will never have any complaining guests once you serve recipes like this.
So, are you already planning to cook this later for dinner or tomorrow’s lunch? Hence take a read and be inspired. Get ready to cook your version of chicken AKing.
What is Chicken A La King Recipe
Chicken AKing was derived from French, translated as “King Style Chicken,” or a broiler meal “made for the king.” By the sound of it, it was a cup of elegant primary meal way back then. Specifically, this food is composed of a poached diced broiler, with mushroom and capsicums, poured over with thick cream, usually on a casserole.
Hence, this plate is served really like a special meal for distinguished people in society. Not anymore, with information such as this. Nothing hinders you now from cooking your favorite menus in a span within the comforts of your home.
Ingredients of Recipes Like Chicken A La King
To cook delicious recipes like this, ensure that you have prepared the following ingredients complete and in its right amount and size. Of course, this depends on the number of persons who will eat. But, since this is a home-made serving, let’s assume that this is for family. So, here are the ingredients:
- First on the list is a pound of chicken meat, our main ingredient. This is cut into serving sizes. To make it even more delicious, buy new ones to ensure the quality of the flesh.
- Next is a 1/2 cup of chicken soup used to reinforce the broiler taste into our serving bowl. By just sauteing the chicken with melted butter and onion, you can have your home-made broiler broth. You can also have more than what you need if you prepare it yourself in preparation for the next day’s cooking.
- Then, button cut one piece of mushroom into small pieces. Mushrooms are some of the sources of protein, vitamins and minerals, and antioxidants that keep our bodies protected from catching viral diseases. Also, mushrooms add that umami taste to the dish.
- Also prepare one tablespoon of butter, a piece of diced onion, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and a total of 1/2 teaspoon salt. These ingredients in total are used in sauteing the broiler to increase the quality taste of our platter.
- Then also get 1/2 cup evaporated or fresh milk, with one piece of the green capsicum, cut into strips; likewise, a portion of the red capsicum cut into strips, and two tablespoons of cornstarch melted with water to thicken the sauce of our Chicken AKing is fit for a king.
Sauce of Chicken A La King Recipe
What makes this plate of yummy food taste like heaven is its creamy, decadent sauce. The sauce is made of melted butter, broiler broth, cooked with black pepper, salt, green and red bell pepper, mushroom, and melted cornstarch. The creamy texture is matched with hot steamed rice.
You can also prepare the sauce a day or ahead before you serve it. Once it is serving time, reheat the sauce and put in the meat and the vegetables. A bowl of the sauce chilled in the fridge is excellent, especially if you have some biscuits at home. The chilled sauce can serve as a dipping sauce, and the taste will be exploding in your mouth like the 4th of July.
Ways to cook Chicken A La King Main Dishes
There are many ways to cook Chicken AKing recipes. These ways vary across age groups because of differences in orientation. For instance, the older generation preferred the classic slow-cooking, while the millennial wanted it unique and practically quick to prepare. Regardless of the age-group, it still depends on what cooking appliances and equipment are accessible at home.
Slow Cooker Chicken A La King Recipe
Eating during gloomy weather or during rainy days of July can have you craving for recipes like this. A slow cooker chicken AKing is excellent for times like this. Seeing those raindrops will have your taste buds crave for these main dishes. Recipes like these are done by cooking the broiler over the melted butter with a broiler soup cup mixed with salt, black pepper, red and green bell pepper, and milk at a low fire perfect for 3 – 4 hours. After this, you add the melted cornstarch with water and simmer it for about 30 mins.
Since the broiler meat is not as tender as other meats, it does not need to be cooked for too long, or else, it will also be dried up. The purpose of slowly cooking is for the flavor of the sauce to sink in the meat. This is perfect served with rice and soup and is mostly preferred by the older generations. Older generations tend to like the usual cooking rather than new innovative recipes.
Chicken A La King Casserole Recipe
Chicken AKing casserole is a league of its own compared to its classic version of recipes. Time passing by did not mar the deliciousness of this soup plate. The broiler is sauteed as the classic ones, with the addition of frozen celery, melted cheese, pimientos, and a cup of creamy sauce. Then, 6-8 ounces of pre-cooked egg noodles will be added and mixed into the sauteed chicken AKing mixture.
After mixing and stirring, this is transferred in a casserole or a piece of cooking equipment with sprinkled toasted bread crumbs and cheese on top. You can try adding crumbled cookies for extra crunch. The hash is placed in an oven and baked at a heat of 375 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes. The millennial generation may like this more than the classic ones.
Crock Pot Chicken A La King Recipe
Recipes like Crockpot chicken AKing is also a slow cooker done in an instant pot. The instant pot is an excellent help in cooking this bowl of goodness to see that the meat will be so tender in an easy way. This is cooked using a crockpot and placed over low heat in 3 to 4 hours to achieve the desired meat tenderness.
All ingredients in recipes like this are used but without mushrooms, for children to like eating this. Even so, nothing marred the quality of the taste of the recipe. Recipes like this are commonly served together with biscuits, crackers, or cookies.
Utilizing this kind of equipment will give your broiler the ability to achieve maximum tenderness. Imagine having a decadent sauce and a moist and tender broiler as a meal. For sure, you will feel heaven in every bite. Quite salivating, right? Then try cooking this meal and make your heart flutter in every spoonful.
Variations of Chicken A La King
There are a variety of recipes you can choose from day by day. These variations are innovations to introduce something new or improvisations when some original ingredients are not accessible. Try each of these sometimes and see which you prefer the most.
Chicken A La King with Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
Recipes like the Chicken AKing with cream of mushroom soup recipe are typical among Pinoys because it is easy and economical. Besides, why burden your life by preparing the sauce’s ingredients such as the mushrooms, milk, and cornstarch when you can have the sauce in just one can of cream of mushroom soup?
No matter how easy the recipe looks, it ruins the meal when the sauce is not cooked right. To avoid marring the sauce, you may choose using the cream of mushroom sauce instead. It minimizes the job, and it avoids the risk of ruining a sauce.
This menu is not just flavorful, but it is also very nutritional. A mushroom in a menu gives you a bunch of health benefits. aThis includes Riboflavin, which is great for red blood cells. Niacin as well, which is useful in maintaining a healthier skin and digestive system. Another nutritional factor is that it is rich in pantothenic acid, which is perfect for heart health.
Chicken A La King with Peas Recipe
You may also enjoy your chicken AKing with peas. You add a cup of green peas to the ingredients of this classic broiler meal. For your information, this makes your delicious meal even more healthy.
Moreover, peas contain antioxidants such as flavonoids, carotenoids, and polyphenols. These components provide you with high energy, robust immune systems, and regulated blood sugar. It also helps with weight loss and promotes good eye health.
If you are a woman looking for an idea of appealing to your special someone, this menu is perfect for you. A menu like this boosts men’s health, and if he knows that you are very much concerned about his health, well, this might be the way into your man’s heart.
Gluten-Free Chicken AKing Recipe
Frequently eating delicious food like this may expose you to untoward health risks such as high cholesterol levels and indigestion. In this instance, limit the days that you are going to eat this. However, sacrificing the taste for a health concern is equally detrimental. Of course, you will not eat food either if it tastes like hell.
A healthy lifestyle does not mean you have to live just eating the greens. There are tons of recipes that can serve as an easy and new alternative. Recipes like these are great because you can be the modern betty crocker in the house.
To create an alternative solution to this, you have to use gluten-free flour instead of cornstarch in the sauce mixture to create the gluten-free broiler menu. With this, it may help you improve your cholesterol level, regulated digestive metabolism, and increases energy without the pain of losing its desired taste. Also, it will be a great help to those who are in this kind of diet. They don’t have to live in a tasteless world of dieting.
Low-carb Chicken A La King Recipe
Recipes like low-carb chicken AKing is another cup of a healthy version of this dis.h You may use non-fat milk instead of the usual full cream milk. Then, choose hot steamed cauliflower rice instead of the ordinary hot steamed rice to make it low-carb. This might taste differently than the usual rice, but you can add more of the creamy broiler sauce to overwhelm the taste of cauliflower rice.
If you are on a diet and craving something tasty, then this menu is perfect for you. You will not just have a tasteful meal, but it is also on the weighing scale watch. This low-carb meal is packed with nutritional values that help you in your diet. It will not just be your partner in getting shape, but it also has the power to lower down your cholesterol and lessen the chances of getting a heart attack.
The broiler meat is also nutritional in its way, so infusing it in a low-carb diet made it more healthy. This is not just a wholesome meal on your end. Your loved ones would be amazed if you served them with such a quality and healthy menu.
The total calorie intake in recipes like these is not that much. Hence, you can eat this; let’s say every other day. The recipe in total is also easy to follow. Adding some other low-carb ingredients in the pan will not mar the taste of this new serving.
Troubleshooting Recipes’ Downfalls
Failure in cooking is inevitable, especially for recipes like these, so consider these guidelines to troubleshoot your chicken AKing.
- It is the sauce that can make or break your broiler menu. Always follow the recipes’ instructions. A single mistake in the minutes of cooking or new ingredients added is considered in perfecting recipes like this.
- If the sauce tastes flat, prepare a mixture of melted flour, salt, and pepper in hot water, and add it to your sauce. Saucy recipes are easy to fix with liquid as well. But be careful in pouring the liquid. Just pour in little by little for adjustment.
- If the sauce tastes too salty, put a small amount of melted flour in hot water. Gradually pour it and mix, try and taste until it reaches the desired saltiness. You can also try adding water to adjust the saltiness.
- If the sauce is too creamy, add a citrus flavor to balance the richness. It will be better if you are going to put herbs like basil or cilantro. It will not just balance out the taste, but it will also give your meal that western and restaurant-quality appeal.
- If the sauce becomes too lumpy, add ice-cold water then whisk it non-stop. This will give that perfect texture for your sauce. Just stop when the surface is right; if you whisk it too much, it will be runny like a soup.
- Doing this will fix the taste and will make your cooking tastes alright.
Recipes’ Special Trivia
Did you know that recipes like chicken AKing were introduced in the Philippines during the American occupation? During that time, since it is a new meal, no one likes to eat this kind of menu because the taste was atrocious. Locals would like to stay in their usual recipes every day. They cannot cook it properly because the primary ingredients for recipes like this are not accessible here. It is not easy at the beginning.
So the Americans ordered jars of peas, mushrooms, pimientos, and other spices to cook the classic meal. They were eager to introduce recipes like this to the locals because they know they will love it as much as they do. Luckily, they did not fail to present the recipe like this because it became one of the favorites until now.
Furthermore, the original name of the menu was Chicken á la Keene. This dates back as early as the 1890s in New York when a particular chef at Delmonico restaurant cooked a broiler recipe for a horse owned by Mr. Foxhall Keene, who won the Grand Prix in Paris. Hence, this is just one of the many versions of how this meal originated.
Recipe Perfecting Tips
Beginning cooks always tend to rush things, especially cooking. Sadly, rushing means to mar the recipe most of the time because many things might be neglected, such as picking fresh meat, getting the right spices, and putting the ingredient’s correct measurement. More so, rushing also leads to undercooked meals, which results in worse outcomes because it not only ruins the taste but might ruin your stomach in the process.
Hence, remember to keep calm and timely follow the recipe because a good tasting meal contains lots of expensive ingredients and timely cooked. Furthermore, a recipe is an excellent guide in being a Betty crocker in the kitchen. Besides, we prefer slowly cooked meals in the comforts of our kitchen every day.
Concerning the sauce, you can use mushrooms like cremini, portobello, or shiitake. These mushrooms are perfect for the sauce because of their fantastic umami taste. Cut them into small pieces and cook in the right way, and you will be able to extract the perfect flavor from the mushroom.
Best Served with
The versatility of chicken AKing makes it a suitable partner with a variety of food. Notably, its creamy texture and with a little bit of spice is perfectly matched as a viand for rice and with other partners below:
- Pandesal and Garlic Bread – Chicken AKing can serve as a spread in making pandesal or garlic bread sandwiches or chicken AKing home-made pizza.
- Pasta – Chicken Aking can be used as pasta sauce due to its creamy texture with broiler, mushroom, and capsicum.
- Fried or sunny-side-up egg – of course, this cuisine is perfectly matched with rice together with a friend or sunny-side-up egg.
- Iced tea and soda taste a little bit spicy, this broiler meal compliments well with cold beverages. It is not new to Filipinos to have a delicious meal with its perfect beverage partner. Besides these two popular drinks, you can also pair it up with newly emerged refreshments like fruit teas and milk teas.
- Cookies and biscuits – it can be used as a dip for cookies or biscuits for a new experience. This comes in handy for those who do not like sweet sides.
- Buttered Balsamic Mushroom – Have the perfect umami experience with this side dish. The flavor from this side dish will give a different depth of flavor to the menu. It is also an excellent match for broilers. Also, it will be more nutritious to eat as a snack or lunch.
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts – The sprouts’ crispness perfectly matches this menu’s tender broiler and creamy sauce. It also deliciously promotes healthy eating. Choosing green veggies as a side on your creamy dish will attract kids to eat green leafy veggies.
- French Fries- Classic combo in one of the fast-food chains that cater to this meal. Dipping the fries on its creamy sauce gives a different experience to your taste buds. As the fries’ crispness dives into the creamy sauce of this menu, it explodes layers of flavors on your mouth.
- Roasted Dijon Potatoes – Well, this is like French fries only that this is baked to achieve a different kind of crispness. Also, this is infused with other flavors but will surely match the taste of this menu.
- Sweet Potato Fries- You will be amazed at how the sweet flavor of sweet potatoes and this menu’s creamy texture go well together. If you are tired of having just sweet potatoes, then dip it to the rich, creamy taste of this dish. It is much nutritional as well instead of using catsup or mayonnaise as a dipping sauce.
- Sweet Corn- This one is infrequent. But believe us when we say that this one is heaven in your mouth. Imagine munching into an ear of sweet corn glazed with the creamy sauce of this menu. Amazing, right? Then try this together with your friends.
You can try pairing it up with a new one and let us see your Ala King partner. It is okay to stay with the usual but innovating the meal is also an excellent experience for a day. Let us know your recipe for us to indulge in the same delicious experience as yours.
Before, chicken AKing is an exquisite dish made, especially for kings and dignitaries. Hence, only a few seasoned chefs know how to cook. With the advent of easily-accessible information such as this article, preparing dishes like this is like a dream come true. New recipes also emerged, and it is for you to see which is perfect to your liking.
This article also provides lots of variants on how to cook menus like this. The variants in this article touch all walks of life, making it reader-friendly and your best kitchen partner as well. With all the knowledge in this article, nothing can stop you now from being the greatest kitchen king or queen in your household.
So, what are you waiting for? Dig-in and indulge yourself. Cook your version of this delicious broiler meal recipe and see to it that you use this guide. It’s just alright to commit mistakes in the process as long as you may be equipped to create your version and share it with us.
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
Best Chicken Ala King Recipe
- 1 lb Chicken cut into serving size
- 1/2 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 pc Mushroom Botton cut into small pieces
- 1 pc Onion diced
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Evaporated or Fresh Milk
- 1 pc Green Bell Pepper cut into strips
- 1 pc Red Bell Pepper cut into strips
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch melted with water
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Put the onions and chicken and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add salt, black pepper and chicken broth and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Then toss-in red and green bell pepper, mushroom, and milk. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour-in the diluted cornstarch and stir for another 3-5 minutes.
- Serve while hot. Enjoy!