Are you looking for a dish with veggies dominating it? The search is finally over. Well, here’s the best Chop Suey for you! We will eventually share the secrets of preparing and making this popular and classic dish the best way.
Food is necessary to our lives, that we can not deny. People have now become more health-conscious, thus being extra picky on their food intake. While some kids are not fond of eating vegetables, we are confident that Chop Suey is definitely one of the dishes adults and even kids would really appreciate. This recipe has brought vegetable eating to a whole new level. It is healthy and tasty at the same time. If you know someone who does not want to try to or eat vegetables, then you’re lucky to be here. You have finally found the best recipe for them to try.
We would love to eat a lot of tasty and delicious foods, but we would not let our health sacrifice for the sake of what our taste buds just want. Good thing, some foods are healthy without compromising their taste. Growing up, we were always reminded of what kinds of food we should be eating, and vegetables are number one on the list. Many are having a hard-time consuming vegetable as these are known to be not pleasing to the taste buds… but not anymore, we have finally found a solution to that!
Now that we are old enough to understand that it is not always meat and processed food and that veggies are also delicious in their own ways, this dish is much loved. It has been known for its uniqueness and the many flavors you will taste in just one dish. We will happily share with you the best way on how it is being prepared or cooked.
Before the essential recipe, let’s discuss first what Chop Suey is and everything that circles its axis. Read on!
Variations of Chopsuey
Chopsuey American-Chinese cuisine which consists of vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, baby corn, red bell pepper, chayote with a little meat or shrimps, like chicken or pork of shrimp and with a thick savory sauce, a mixture of water and starch that would cover all the combined ingredients of Chop Suey infused to perfection. Some also opt for adding quail eggs to it. It is well known for having assorted pieces of many ingredients and was usually best partnered with many famous foods.
It is effortless and quick to prepare a perfect dish for busy weekends, family gatherings, friends’ hangouts, food trips, and any occasion. Its combination of meat and various vegetables is infused with rich taste and nutrients, too. Since it is not only vegetables but also has a little mix of meat, this is something that people who are not into eating veggies would appreciate. The ever flavorful Chop Suey is an easy Pinoy favorite that your family will surely love.
With its many ingredients, it is a blend of different flavors pleasing to your taste buds. It is advantageous not only to fill in your stomach or satisfy your hunger but also to your nutritional demand—a wholesome meal with a bunch of rich, delightfully tasty, and healthy ingredients.
Although the name sounds too Chinese and many Chinese restaurants offer this, this well-loved stir-fried veggies, meat, and egg dish is believed to have been invented in New York City on August 29, 1896.
Chinese Diplomat, Li Hongzhang, was in the said city and thought of a dish for his guests, including Americans. Despite his love for Chinese cuisines, he was smart enough to realize that those who will eat the food were not Chinese, so he thought of something that would be appreciated by both Chinese and Americans, and that moment gave birth to Chop Suey. Now, it is popularly known on almost every restaurants’ plates on the corners of the world. While some are not aware of this recipe yet, our goal of sharing this recipe is to be acquainted with the good news.
There might not be much Filipino staff involved in the Chop Suey’s origin, but this dish has been a staple to us. Even on birthdays or special occasions, like weddings, this dish is served. However, Pinoys love chicken so much that we add Chicken liver and Gizzard to it when we cook Chop Suey. It is one dish that has a lot to offer, it is not only consisting of vegetables, but there are a lot more. You can also add meat or eggs to make it more savory. Talking about good food, this dish has a lot to offer, combining different nutritious and appetizing ingredients in one. Chop Suey is generous in offering us the different flavors like bombs to your mouth as your teeth grit every bit of it.
Filipinos have been fans of this dish for so many years. It was one of the most sought after foods on the table. This has become an irresistible dish on the table. There is no way you would not give space for it on your plate when you see it. It is just a simple dish to prepare, but it offers a very delightful meal. Chop Suey was so famous among other dishes because of how ideally it has turned a healthy and nutritious food in the most delightful way possible.
Why Eat This Dish
To reiterate, this dish is dominated by veggies, so it’s a no brainer that it’s something super healthy to eat. With all its ingredients full of vitamins and minerals, surely adults and health-conscious would love it – and this time, kids too. This dish will be a game-changer for people who dislike eating vegetables.
We are sure you have already heard of Chop Suey, and just by hearing it, you can imagine the festive chunky ingredients combined to come up with the perfect Chop Suey. Some people may say it’s just cooked mixed vegetables, and there’s nothing special about it, but we are here to prove it wrong. If you have not tried it yet, we are sure you would be surprised by your first taste. To protect your health, you must first be conscious of what you eat. Being health-conscious does not have to be expensive. Sometimes you have to find just the right food to eat. Chop Suey can be prepared in less than half an hour, but this classic is surely worth a thousand praises.
Vegetables as the main ingredients of this dish are characterized as food that boosts health and helps cure illnesses. With this being said, medicines do not have to be bitter anymore. You might be skipping the good way to recover. We have discovered that vegetables have a significant role in living a healthy diet lifestyle and assisting in expediting recovery. If you wonder what could help you recover better than medicine, then keep on reading – you’re exactly where you need to be.
There are a lot of comments on how it tastes, as well as its numerous vitamin contents.
To give you more ideas about its pros, below are some of its ingredients that are health beneficial.
Benefits Of The Recipe Ingredients
Specific challenges arise when choosing the best ingredients for the recipe of any dish. For the Chop Suey, we are pleased that the ingredients comprising it have many nutritional punches. It is flattering to discover a portion of fine food, and both will surely pass the health and taste test. Characterizing and carefully selecting what ingredients to combine for a dish is essential to transpire a fine dish with broad appeal. Since sharing is caring, we have enumerated some of Chop Suey’s ingredients and its many benefits. Let us discover through it one by one.
It is a green or red leafy vegetable that is packed with so many health benefits. It is a versatile vegetable that you can use in making dishes or salads and slaws. You can easily buy it in any or make it available in your backyard garden as it has been a famous ingredient in a lot of recipes. This food is also low in saturated fat and cholesterol. It is a vegetable worth making a space in your plate for as it was associated with plenty of advantageous benefits.
- It is a great source of Vitamin C or ascorbic acid, a great antioxidant that helps fight diseases like cancer. Our body needs vitamin C for many important functions. This also protects us from free radicals that can damage our bodies.
- It improves our digestion as it also has fiber. The soluble fiber this contains can lower bad cholesterol levels and promote regular bowel movements.
- Cabbage is known to be containing antioxidants that can be an aid to inflammation.
- It also contains anthocyanins, which help in reducing the risk of getting heart disease. Anthocyanins from plants like cabbages have many medical uses and therefore can be considered potential pharmaceutical ingredients.
- Other nutrients Cabbage has to include Vitamin K, Folate, Calcium, B6, Manganese, Potassium, and Magnesium.
It ain’t just a vegetable for rabbits as both kids and adults have connotated. This is another versatile vegetable, and people can eat them steamed, raw, boiled, sauteed, or as an ingredient to a recipe. It is often dubbed as the root vegetable that is a perfect health food mixed to several dishes to add to its nutritional value. It is in demand for it is crunchy, tasty, and a particular source of numerous vitamins and minerals.
- It is a great source of plant compounds, Carotenoids, useful for reducing cancer risk and keeping eyes healthy.
- It has been a good source of vitamins and minerals such as potassium, biotin, Vitamins B6, A (from beta carotene), and K1 (phylloquinone).
- It also helps in lowering blood cholesterol. They are characterized as extremely low in fat and protein. They are also relatively fluid-dense, which means you consume a lot of water when you eat carrots, making you feel full.
- Its soluble fiber can help lower blood sugar levels by slowing down your digestion of sugar and starch.
- Carrots are considered a low-glycemic food, which is considered beneficial for people with diabetes.
- It is a low-calorie food that decreases calorie intake by increasing fullness.
3. Red Bell Pepper
Bell pepper comes in different colors – red, green, and yellow. Among these variations, red bell peppers contain the most nutrients. More than its taste and versatility of being sweet, crunchy, and spicy, we should also talk about the benefits it can grant us. Bell peppers contain healthy doses of essential vitamins that our body needs. Not only is this satisfying to our taste buds it is also characterized as being full of nutrients.
- It can improve metabolic rate and can help activate thermogenesis, says a recent study. It is also believed to have shown great help in suppressing one’s appetite and boosting their metabolism.
- Red bell pepper has Vitamin A, which helps in healing wounds and boosting white blood cell growth. Vitamin A is also important for the immune system, our vision, and even reproduction.
- It is a great source of beta-carotene, which helps in maintaining good eye-sight and overall vision.
- It helps in preventing anemia through Vitamin B6 and folate. Not only do the red bell peppers have it, but all varieties are excellent sources of these vitamins and minerals.
- It also has an antioxidant, Vitamin C. It also has a mix of lycopene, making red bell peppers a top-notch superfood.
- Bell peppers help in weight loss. It can be added to many food varieties, and it has an amount of fat-burning capsaicin in them.
It is not the flower you give to your special someone, but it does its job of making a dish more beneficial. The head of cauliflower goes a long way and can take on so many flavors. It is like a white version of its vegetable cousin, broccoli. Cauliflower provides a range of nutrients and is also very dense in vitamins. It is sometimes a substitute for rice for steaks. It can be paired or be an ingredient to any recipe as it goes by any dish. It consists of a lot of nutrients and minerals containing almost every compound that you need.
- Cauliflower contains a high amount of vitamin C for collagen production and also acts as an antioxidant.
- It is considered rich in Sulfur, and Sulfur helps in glutathione production and seems to have antibacterial effects that fight against acne-causing bacteria.
- Cauliflower is a versatile and vitamin-rich vegetable, so it also contains vitamin K to prevent bone loss.
- Just like other cruciferous vegetables, Cauliflower contains Indole-3-carbinol for detoxification. Cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower top the charts in natural body detox.
- It helps in strengthening our immune system and helps reduce high blood pressure.
- It helps protect our cells from DNA damage because of its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Cauliflower is significantly high in fiber, which is beneficial for your overall health. This is important for maintaining a healthy digestive tract, preventing constipation, and lowering the risk of getting colon cancer.
5. Baby Corn
Baby corn is a cereal grain that is harvested early while stalks are still small and immature. It is being used extensively in Asian cuisine, but it is also considered the most imported vegetable all over the world. It can be boiled, fried, or steamed in many dishes. Baby corn might be small, but it is terrible in a good way. As they say, big surprises come in small packages. These benefits of baby corn will convince you to add them to your diet.
- It is low in calories, so it’s good to add to your diet plan. Baby corn is known to be low in carbs and has lower starch content. It is an option with lower carbs as compared to a fully matured corn.
- It has carotenoids, which help in maintaining healthy eyes. Carotenoids support eye health and lower the risk of getting eye cataracts.
- It is considered a great rich source of folate, which is beneficial for brain development. It is also recommended as pregnancy food because it helps grow the fetus and prevent congenital disabilities.
- It is another good source of Vitamin C that helps in collagen production, resulting in fair skin elasticity and glow.
- It helps you feel full for a longer period of time as it is rich in fiber, which takes a long to digest. It helps avoid constipation and promotes healthy bowel movements.
- Also, just like other veggies, baby corn has soluble fiber, which controls blood sugar levels.
Chayote has loads of nutrients and antioxidant compounds that provide many potential health benefits. This is a good addition to any diet as it is one of the vegetables with very low calories boasting an array of health benefits. It is a low cost, natural way of fighting cholesterol without any side effects. It is loved for its mildly sweet taste and also for its lack of nutrients.
- Rich in essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber. It is high in many nutrients but is low in fats, calories, and carbs. It is low in calories and carbs but is surprisingly filling in the stomach.
- It has antioxidants that can protect cells from being damaged. It provides multiple antioxidants that fight disease and promote health. This is proposed to be a harmless antioxidant and anti-inflammatory therapeutic alternative.
- It is an excellent source of folate that aids in proper fetal development. Folate is a water-soluble vitamin that also aids in female fertility.
- It is good for heart health through the various fiber compounds it contains. This helps improve blood flow keeping low levels of cholesterol and regular blood pressure.
- It is for weight loss as it is low in calories but high in fiber, which takes the longest to digest, making you feel full for a longer period of time. It also improves one’s digestion.
- It has fiber and plant compounds making blood sugar level stable.
7. Quail Eggs
It is time to crack the benefits of this small but terrible quail egg. We often see this tiny and cute ingredient in a lot of dishes. Why? It is because all good things have been incorporated into a single shell! According to research, quail eggs are healthier as compared to other eggs consumed by humans. It is considered as one of the superfoods as it contains a lot of health benefits. It is also made available in the market and is widely used in recipes all over the world.
- It is rich in amino acids and choline essential in long-lasting bone strength, most especially in children. It has an array of nutrients that fortifies our bones.
- It has antioxidants that help ease and treat the symptoms of allergic rhinitis.
- Quail eggs are rich in Vitamin B, proven to speed up our metabolism. It helps bring down the food you eat and transform it into energy. This helps us to keep high levels of energy and to keep our focus maintained.
- It is rich in Zinc and Potassium, helping lessen the risk of osteoporosis or bone weakening diseases.
- Helps boost the formation of red blood cells and maintain optimal energy levels. You will also have a speedy recovery after a cold or flu if you have added this to your diet.
- It improves immune function and gifts you a razor-sharp memory and cognition.
- It prevents anemia and helps fight cancer. It was not proven to cure cancer yet, but its nutrients are essential to protect body cells from radicals that cause cancer.
- It has been found to be rich in antidepressants. This can help relieve depression and anxiety of people who are experiencing it. It has a compound that does not let the effects of depression overcome.
- Helps lower the chances of a terminal illness.
This dish is so versatile that you can adjust the ingredients or condiments to suit your taste buds. We have to admit that sometimes we experience a little bit of a problem each time we cook before we can finally master it, and even though we have cooked it a lot of times already, we still have to do a little fix at the end. To justify the saying “Food makes us happy,” we have to prepare and cook good food infused with delightful taste and flavor. Even the greatest chefs have probably experienced a little rough on preparing some intricate recipes. Chop Suey, with a lot of ingredients, most probably will have problems with its taste after you have cooked it. Thus, we have listed below some of the samples that you might encounter while preparing this dish and how you will manage to fix it and come up with the best Chop Suey that you desire.
At that moment, when your food touches your mouth, you will instantly know what is lacking. Your taste buds know exactly if it is deficient. There are multiple times you have frowned because of a bland dish you have tasted, or you have even cooked by yourself. When our food lacks strong taste and flavor, the food becomes unappealing, and we may lose our appetite. You can now iron your face as there is a quick resolution for that. Probably the easiest to solve and one of the most common problems too. To mend the dish’s bland taste, add salt fish sauce, taste, and add again if needed. Better yet, gradually add oyster or soy sauce, taste it and adjust according to your preference slowly but surely.
Be on the look for the flavorings you add to any dish. As they say, everything is good but in moderation. You just have to keep in mind that the saltiness of a dish depends on oyster and salt. Sometimes, we were not able to calculate how much salt to put into it. You just have to juggle and be aware of how much of these flavorings would lead you to the right tang. There will be instances that our dish would come up the way we do not want it to be, but that’s okay. There is always a way to fix everything! When it turns out too salty, just add water, then taste until the desired taste balance is achieved.
Too Watery Sauce
When it comes to the consistency of the sauce, there are simple remedies to swear by. While this may not be an issue for some, if you want a thicker sauce, just make a mixture of cornstarch and water in a bowl. Make sure that cornstarch is dominant, then pour the thicker sauce in the pan, then boil. The thicker sauce will become just thick because it will be mixed with the watery sauce. This will help you achieve the consistency of the sauce that you want. Since you have added liquid again, make sure to taste it and if needed, add oyster sauce and salt to avoid the bland taste.
Too Thick Sauce
Since we all are different when it comes to how we want our sauce to be, we can also adjust the consistency of the sauce the other way. Some people just don’t want theirs to be too thick. Do not worry, and you can adjust its consistency simply by adding water. Pour more water if it is still too thick for you until you have achieved the thickness of the sauce that you want. If dealing with the thickness of the sauce, you just have to control its water content. Again, for the best results, gradually add the necessary flavoring agents for the adjustment of your desired saltiness.
Tips On How To Cook Chop Suey
We bet that you were so excited to give it a shot and cook this classic and controversial dish. There are a lot of ideas going on in your mind, and you might also be thinking of the best techniques to come up with the best Chop Suey recipe. Who would not want a perfect this for the next family meal? There are tips you might want to hear before you make your own Chop Suey. Thus, here are some pieces of advice you might consider.
- To avoid blandness and saltiness, make sure to do the add-then-taste-then-add technique. This will help you calculate if the taste matches your preference, thus, saving more time for you to fix and adjust if it was not pleasing to your taste buds. Gradually adding it will save you more time in any event that you have gone too far.
- Do not overcook the vegetables to retain at least a big percentage of their textures. Some of the vegetable ingredients can be eaten raw, but in Chop Suey, the vegetables are meant to be half cooked. This way, you can maximize the best possible taste and nutrients of your vegetables.
- Red bell peppers are enough to fill in Chop Suey’s nutritional value and taste demand, but you may also add green bell pepper to make it more vibrant and visually enticing.
- It is suggested that you chop meat smaller than bite-sized as they are not the main ingredients to be seen in your dish. You don’t want to overpower your vegetables. Meats are only intended to add flavor and savor to your Chop Suey.
- Slicing the meat as thinly as possible is highly recommended as it will allow the meat to be cooked tenderly and quickly.
- Make sure that you debone your chicken not to affect the texture of the dish. You may also opt to use chicken fillet so you can also save time in deboning before adding the chicken meat to your plate.
Trivia About This Food
- Did you know that in the Philippines, Chop Suey has a similarity to Pancit Bihon Guisado? It is known for its pack of vegetables as ingredients or toppings. Both foods are served in a wholesome Filipino meal combo and will always be present in restaurants. Just by removing the noodles of the Pancit Bihon Guisado, then have a thicker sauce, then there you have it, Chop Suey!
- This is one of the most convenient recipes to cook as ingredients might be present in the fridge most of the time. If you have a little of most of or all the ingredients and food protein like the remaining chicken from your last meal, voila! You can now make your Chop Suey!
- Some people glaze the chicken of the Chop Suey with wine to retain all that chicken flavor to the dish. We bet it will be the result of the Chop Suey will be a total bomb.
- Although many believe that it originated in the U.S, there is another story that is believed by some people to be the real origin of Chop Suey. A scholar of Chinese food and anthropologist, E. N. Anderson, discovered that the dish actually came from the words tsap seui, which translates to odds and ends or “miscellaneous leftovers,” This another trace is somehow not as enticing as this dish now.
- With Chop Suey’s versatility, its origin has also been claimed by many and remains a mystery. Some claimed it originated in China, while some classify it as Japanese cuisine. We may not know the absolute truth about its origin. Still, we all are aware that it is dominating in different countries that eventually innovated different versions of its known original recipe.
- It was believed that the Chop Suey started to become popular when it was being served to soldiers during World War II and when the war was over, they kept on wanting to cook and eat Chop Suey at their homes.
- For people who are extra conscious about their diet, you can innovate and level up the Chop Suey recipe in the healthiest possible way. Yes, that is right – you may create a Chop Suey recipe, the Vegan version. You can use tofu or mushrooms as a substitute for chicken or other meats.
This Vegetables Dish Is Served With
1. Steamed Rice
Steamed rice is the most prominent food in Philippine gastronomy. Even when it comes to a full meal or a snack, rice is always the first thing that comes to people’s minds. It is also important to a vast majority of the population as it is considered the most consumed food aside from wheat and corn. In fact, many restaurants offer unlimited rice as it was more preferred by the customers. Eat like a true Pinoy by having this perfect partner for Chop Suey, or should we say, a perfect partner for almost any Pinoy dish. Steamed rice is considered a Filipino staple food that balances every dish. We have not heard of a Filipino who has not tried or not eating steamed rice. Wherever these people are, they would always, always look for the rice to add to their meal. For Filipinos, a meal will never be complete without steamed rice, and Chop Suey is one of the many lists of its best meal partners. A blockbuster combo!
2. Best Fried Chicken
It is a cinch to make fried chicken at home or anywhere. This iconic food was one of the many food obsessions most of the Filipino had, making it a food for all occasions. A Fried Chicken that is juicy inside and is crispy outside is the best version it can be. Chop Suey already has a sauce, so what it needs is something fried but juicy, and that’s none other than Fried Chicken. This will surely complement the Chop Suey and is already proven and tested in many restaurants. Kids will be more encouraged to eat vegetables with a golden fried chicken beside it on their plates. It is very common to see Fried Chicken and Chop Suey as a meal set on the menu. We would not be surprised. In fact, we have made it yet in our minds that it is the combo that we would want to order. It is something that will add more flavor to a full meal and perfectly compliments the mild taste of the Chop Suey. A mouthwatering classic combo perfect for everybody.
3. Fried Fish with Bagoong for the Dip
If it is not Fried chicken, then better have fried fish on the side with matching saltiness and sweetness from Shrimp paste. Many are considering this as their comfort food as the aroma of this food is already appealing to your sense. Fried fish is dominant on vintage plates as it is classic good food partnered with other dishes but most especially with vegetables. People have been used to partnering fish with vegetables, so it has been normalized to be this way. When there’s a fish, then there must be vegetables. With the bagoong’s pungent smell and strong taste, it is a perfect addition to a complete meal, if served with Chop Suey, it will be nothing but a complete package, and you would want more of it. A tasty and remarkable meal that you would want on your table over and over again. Tip: It would taste a lot better and you would enjoy eating it with bare hands and on banana leaves.
4. Pork Chop
Again, fried dishes just go along well with this dish, so having Pork Chop is logical. Make sure to level up that meal by adding a slice of flavorful meat to your plate. If you want a substitute for Fried Chicken, then Pork Chop is the best alternative to it. Since you don’t want to overpower the vegetables in your Chop Suey, then a separate Pork dish is a go-to dish. Also, the pork chop is a favorite of the many because it is easy to season and easy to cook. Like Fried Chicken, it will be inviting for the children to eat vegetables and Pork Chop. These two are like baits until kids finally realized that it is yet best paired with Chop Suey. It is specially combined with other saucy foods like Chop Suey to have a well-balanced, wholesome dish. This combo will surely satisfy your cravings for rich dishes. Its flavor would even enhance the tastiness that you have been looking for in your meal.
5. Grilled Fish
If you want less oil type of cooking for a side dish, try this Grilled Fish. This is also one one the list of people who are health-conscious. It can be Tilapia (St. Peter’s Fish) or Bangus (Milkfish), or any other fish that you want. Many people opt for grilled fish as it was considered a more healthy way to prepare and consume foods. It is the most ideal food, and method of cooking that would not put its taste and nutritional benefits at risk. This retains the nutrients and flavors of the fish, making it one of the best foods to be served with Chop Suey. With the oozing flavor that sizzles on the grilled fish, it is undoubtedly best partnered with the mildness and neutralness of the vegetables of Chop Suey.
6. Lumpiang Shanghai
Lumpiang Shanghai is a Filipino spring roll fried to crispy perfection. Basically, this dish has ground pork, grated carrots, minced onion, chopped parsley, and other spices wrapped in lumpia wrapper. This is popular to serve with any popular Filipino dish on any occasion. It is a perfect partner for Chop Suey and is always the star of all occasions. When deep-fried, the wrapper is crispy, which is not present in Chop Suey, and there’s the perfect amount of juiciness in the filling. Similar to Chop Suey, lumpiang shanghai consists of a lot of flavors from many different ingredients, making them both tasty and unique as they are.
Eating is just not about taste and flavors, and it is more than staying alive and filling your stomach in. With the vast choices of food, all have been considered as an experience. From the first bite up to the last sip and munch, it has brought us more than a sense of taste. Sometimes, by tasting a particular dish, a sentimental memory would cross our mind, or sometimes we will feel like we’re in a different place. Family bonding is also celebrated over food, and we want only the best food for them.
A dish that is delicious and has plenty of health benefits – Chop Suey it is! The good thing about Chop Suey is that you can use as many varieties of vegetables and meat as you want and other additions as you like. It is endlessly customizable and easy to make to whatever vegetables you have on hand. We only have a few foods of these characteristics. No wonder why Chop Suey was a star at the table.
People who dislike eating vegetables will probably change their minds if they get the chance to try it. If you have already tried this dish before, then you know what we were talking about. If you have not tried it yet, we bet you have been thinking of having it for your next meal. This dish is easy to make with the ingredients readily available in the market or even in your own garden. People have made their own recipes for this famous dish, but we have found the best recipe by far for you.
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
Best Chopsuey Recipe
- 1/2 lb Chicken's Liver and Gizzard
- 1/2 lb Pork meat
- 2 pcs Tofu cubed
- 1 pc Chayote small, sliced thinly
- 1 pc Carrot small, sliced
- 1 pc Red Bell Pepper sliced
- 1 lb Cabbage
- 1 lb Bok Choy or Pechay
- 8 pcs Baguio Beans
- 1 pc Cauliflower small
- 1 stem Celery
- 1/2 cup Cooking Oil
- 1 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Black Pepper
- 2 cups Water
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 pc Onion large
- 1 tsp Salt to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp Cooking oil in a pan.
- Sauté garlic. Add onion and continue to saute until the onion becomes soft.
- Add liver and gizzard. Stir fry until light brown. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper, then add 1 cup of water. Cook and simmer while covered for 20 minutes.
- Then add the remaining water with chayote and carrot. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the tofu, baguio beans, and cauliflower. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients; cabbage, red bell pepper, celery, and bok choy (pechay). Then, mix them well until it boils.
- While boiling, put the cornstarch and stir until the sauce gets thick.
- Serve while hot.