Pork Adobo was one of the most famous Pinoy recipes. Inadobo is the way of preparing this dish, a common form of cooking meat and vegetables. It is well-known worldwide as one of the courses that are easy to cook and so delicious. Another particular version of the same dish we love is these Pork Adobo with boiled eggs recipes. In the Philippines, this cuisine is famous as “Adobong Baboy Na May Itlog.” Soy sauce, vinegar, onions, and garlic are the primary compounds you can put in this cuisine. Because of its popularity, ease of preparation, and long storage life, many consider it the Philippines’ national dish.
The egg mixed in the typical Pinoy Adobo is why this dish stands out, adding a milder flavor compared to other versions. This dish is so rooted in Philippine culture, perhaps the first Filipino dish to reach the foreign consciousness that the running joke is probably as many Adobo variations as islands in the Philippines.
The name “Adobo” is the source of a lot of confusion surrounding this dish. Since Spanish and Mexican use this word too, the Pinoy Adobo was born of their influence by some error. However, further studies have proved that this is not the case. They come up with this name only because the Spanish colonizers did not know about this dish. Instead, they gave it a common name for easier identification; hence, the Pinoy Adobo is entirely original and based on accounts.
What is Pork Adobo with Hard-Boiled Eggs Recipes
The term Adobo arose from the word “Adobar” in Spanish. It means marinating. Marinating the pork in Toyo and crushed garlic indicates this variant of Filipino Adobo. Vinegar may also be added, by choice, as a marinade ingredient. On the other side, the Mexican style uses chilies, garlic, cinnamon, and oregano as a marinade. Both meals look and taste distinct. However, due to this dish’s Pinoy version flavor’s uniqueness, you can’t compare it with other courses. Different variations of a menu based on the availability of ingredients and geography have appeared, as with most Filipino dishes. When choosing what to cook for this meal, there are no precise guidelines, so it is necessary to know the basics of cooking the dish.
The first version is adding boiled eggs once the meat gets tender. The egg consumes soy sauce, thereby becoming darker in color. When cooking this way, be careful about the time. We don’t want the egg to be overcooked. The other egg Adobo variant is more straightforward and does not place the egg at risk of overcooking (unless overcooked during the boiling process). Until serving, simply add the egg to the serving tray. Often, the egg maintains its white color. As we mentioned in this article, our star dish is effortless to make, and anyone could make it, with or without traditional cooking skills.
Ways to Cook Pork Belly Recipes
This section contains the various ways to prepare this meal. Each of them can help you to achieve the version that you want in your courses. It can also guide you to choose the available method in your kitchen or suit you the most. It includes the following;
- Using Instant Pot
Unlike other pots, this method is more convenient. It is easy to use and simple to set up. Plus, it doesn’t require so much attention while using it because it has a time setting to set your mixture to cook at a particular time. You can also avoid burning and overcooking upon preparing your meal into it. That is why many individuals are using this kind of tool.
In preparing your meal, just put your ingredients and bring them to fire. Set the time that you prefer and check it after it ends. You can also add the seasoning while you are simmering it to add your dish’s savory effect. After your meat becomes soft, you can now add the egg and simmer for a few minutes. Then, you can now serve it at your dining table.
- Using Pressure cooker
This method is one of the common ways to prepare your meat dishes. It is easy to use and convenient to have. This tool has an excellent reputation among restaurants worldwide. It can tenderize your meat in a short period, unlike the regular pot that you have.
In preparing a meal, you put the meat inside of it and bring it to heat. You can set 20 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the amount you put inside. After that, check the meat if it tenderizes properly, then adds the seasoning. Simmer it for a bit and add the other solid ingredients that you want in your meal. After it softens, you can now serve it.
Troubleshooting of this recipe
It is common to encounter problems in cooking different kinds of foods. The same goes for cooking this course. Is it too salty? Did I put too much soy sauce? Too much vinegar? We can never tell, but one thing is for sure, there is a problem.
On that note, we listed some common instances with provided remedies to make your dish delicious. This information can help you to adjust and enhance your flavoring. It includes the following;
- Too salty
Salty flavor is one of the intensities to resolve in your mixture. Too much saltiness can affect each of your ingredients. That is why you need to fix it quickly. As you know, meat and other components in this meal can absorb that flavor you have in your sauce. So, if you have a salty mix, they can cause a big problem.
However, there are some remedies that you can perform to avoid this kind of confusion. You can add some liquid to make it more balanced. Water, chicken stock, and vegetable broth are the primary liquids that you can add. But ensure that they are all unsalted.
On the other side, you can also use natural ways. You can use root crafts like potatoes and carrots. That way, you can lessen the salinity content of your mixture. As you know, they are excellent in absorbing so much flavor, that is why many people use them to resolve this matter. Plus, you can use egg too. The egg can also absorb the flavor and give an additional structure to your meal. That is why having it on your menu is an excellent option to consider.
- Too Bland
It is a fundamental problem when it comes to seasoning your food. We all know that providing taste to our dish is the most crucial. That is why some people are cautious about that matter. As a result, they come up with a bland mixture. But don’t worry too much. You can solve it quickly with the use of our top remedy.
In preparing this adjustment, you can put extra salt and liquid seasonings like Patis and Toyo. Each of them contains high salinity factors that you need in your mixture. Plus, they can provide a different savor that can enhance your meal. However, make sure that you put the right amount you need because it can cause so much trouble if you put too much of them. That is why ensure that you measure your seasoning right beforehand.
Also, to control your blend’s saltiness, you can try it every time you add more. It is the necessary thing to do upon adjusting your mixture. That way, you can achieve the right amount of salinity that you want in your meal.
- Too much Toyo
You should add water and a little bit of vinegar and let it simmer for a couple of minutes. Please take note that when you add water, you should add a pinch of salt. It is crucial because always remember that salt adds balance to the dish. The salt helps extract different flavors from different ingredients.
Besides that, you can also use chicken stock and vegetable broth to lessen your mixture’s salinity. But, ensure that you use unsalted ones. If not, it can cause another trouble for you. Also, give enough liquid measurements to maintain its salty flavor because too much liquid can cause blandness to your mix.
- Too Much Vinegar
The same procedure with Toyo, but you will add water and a little bit of Toyo. Same rules and procedures shall apply.
The water helps the meat cook tenderly. Do not forget to check it from time to time to ensure that the meat cooks just fine. When you say just fine, it is not too firm that you cannot eat it, and it is not too soft that you cannot chew it.
The manner of dealing with problems depends on what kind of problem you encountered. Do not panic, because everything can be OK. There will always be ways on how you can troubleshoot it without compromising its savory flavor.
Adobo lovers love fatty cuts of meat. They are excellent when it comes to cooking this dish. You can use fatty sections in these recipes, but you can try other parts of pig’s meat. Given its savor, it also contains nutrients that can give you, especially your body.
One of our all-time favorite breakfast in the Philippines is Si-Log (Sinangag at Itlog,) or fried rice with egg. We love fried egg, salted eggs, scrambled, and sunny-side up, and basically, you can pair it with fried rice that fits on your table. You can also add eggs for a tastier dish.
Since red meat and chicken are quite expensive, Filipinos use eggs to add volume to this dish, especially when the budget is tight. If you want to save money without compromising its delicious savor, try to add some eggs to this cuisine course.
Nutrients that you can get from the following ingredients:
This ingredient is the primary compound in making our star dish of the day. As you know, the Pinoys are a fan of numerous courses that contain flavorful content. However, it also consists of various nutrients that can benefit you the most. It includes the following;
In 3.5 ounces or 100 grams of it, you can have the following:
- Calories: 297
- Water: 53%
- Protein: 25.7 grams
- Carbs: o grams
- Sugar: 0 grams
- Fiber: 0 grams
- Fat: 20.8 grams
Additionally, for all the meat you have, pork is a good protein source. The protein cooked lean meat content is 26% by fresh weight. When it is dry, the protein content is as high as 89%, which is why you can include it as one of the wealthiest dietary providers of protein. Also, it has all essential nine amino acids imperious in your body’s growth and maintenance.
As a result, having this meat and other kinds of it can provide an excellent deal for most bodybuilders, recovering athletes, people-post surgery, and other individuals who need to build up and repair muscles.
Even so, it also contains amounts of fats. The typical proportional range of fat in it is about 10 to 16%. However, it depends on trimming and other factors. It can go higher. Hence, sometimes there is a cooking fat from the clarified pig fat you can use to prepare your food. You can call it Lard.
It also composes saturated fats and unsaturated fats parallel to the other red meat type with approximately equal counts. Thus, the fatty acid composition of it is more dissimilar than the ruminant animal’s meat like beef and lamb.
Furthermore, there are also some vitamin and mineral contents that you can have in this meat. It includes the following:
- Thiamine – is an essential B vitamin that has a vital role in various bodily functions; unlike beef and lamb, it is rich in thiamine.
- Selenium – derived foods like egg, meat, seafood, and dairy products are good sources of this mineral.
- Zinc – is a kind of mineral that has a constant crucial role in the immune system and brain function.
- Vitamin B12 – also has a vital role in brain function and blood formation. Insufficiency of this vitamin can cause damage to neurons and anemia.
- Vitamin B6 – is another vitamin that is necessary for the formation of red blood cells.
- Niacin – is also well known as vitamin B3. It has a vital role in growth and metabolism.
- Phosphorus – has an essential role in growth and maintenance.
- Iron – dissimilar from beef and lamb, it has a smaller amount of iron. Still, the constant absorption of iron from your digestive tract is very systematic.
Furthermore, it also has other elements that have benefits in our health. It includes the following;
- Creatine – is a constant energy source of your muscles. It can improve muscle growth and maintenance, so it is one of the most popular supplements for bodybuilders.
- Taurine – is a nutrient that you can get from fish and meat. It is an antioxidant amino acid that your body has. In dietary intake, it might be beneficial for heart and muscle functions.
- Glutathione – is another antioxidant that you can get from meat. Yet, it can produce in your body also.
- Cholesterol – is a sterol nutrient that you can get from meat and other derived foods like eggs and dairy products. Still, control of cholesterol intake is preferable.
- Egg – This product is one of the most useful ingredients in numerous courses that the Filipino has. It has a unique savor that everyone can enjoy. However, aside from it, you can also get nutrients to provide tremendous help to your body. These nutrients include the following;
In 50 grams or one sizeable cooked egg, you can collect the following;
- Calories: 77
- Carbs: 0.6 grams
- Total fat: 5.3 grams
- Saturated fat: 1.6 grams
- Monosaturated fat: 2.0 grams
- Cholesterol: 212 mg
- Protein: 6.3 grams
Aside from that, you can also get some vitamin and mineral contents. Here is the following;
- Vitamin A: 6% of RDA
- Riboflavin (Vitamin B2): 15% of RDA
- Cobalamin (Vitamin B12): 9% of RDA
- Pantothenic acid (Vitamin B5): 7% of RDA
- Phosphorus: 86 mg or 9% of RDA
- Selenium: 15.4 mcg or 22% of RDA
Furthermore, you can get the following benefits;
- An excellent source of high-quality protein
- It has high counts of cholesterol content but doesn’t increase the risk of heart diseases.
- It can promote superior brain and eye health.
- It can reduce the risk of stroke.
- It can help you to lose weight.
Tips for these Pork Belly Recipes
Having tender and soft meat is the essential requirement in cooking this dish, and at the same time, and make sure that you incorporate the flavor inside your ingredient. Cooking this course requires effort for the results to be fair and for your family to enjoy it genuinely.
Some people usually put the meat directly into the pan without cooking it first to boiling water. It is beneficial that you first cook the meat in the bubbling water with salt and pepper to add flavor inside and to make it softer when eating it. To reduce the cooking time, you can cook the meat and the egg simultaneously, in the same water. After cooking it, that is the time that you will do the usual steps in making our star dish.
There is no particular brand of choice needed for the ingredients of cooking this meal. What’s important is that you make sure that everything is complete. You can use oil, onion, garlic, meat, Toyo, vinegar, salt, pepper, and just a seasoning sachet. Any brand will do. As long as you have all that is needed and follow all of the steps provided, you are right. You do not need to spend too much in making such. A small amount can help you deliver a sumptuous meal to your family and friends.
Excellent Served With:
There are a lot of ways to cook our star dish. This cuisine might be your next favorite version that you can ever have! Yes, you can serve it with steamed rice, but you can always try something new. There are many vegetables, to name a few. Go out of your comfort zone. You’ll never know when you will find this course’s food combination! Try this recipe and let us know if you love it.
- Pineapple Juice – Pineapple juice after eating will help you balance the saltiness and sourness of pineapple juice. Make sure to drink water after.
- Carbonated Drink – Drinking it sometimes relaxes us. It can give a satisfying feeling after you eat your heavy meal. The sweet flavor of it can lessen the relish left in your tongue.
- Wine – Wine is one of the excellent companions of meat courses. Like pineapple juice, it can balance the saltiness and wine’s flavor as it has a high acidity level. Unlike pineapple juice, it can be sweet.
- Steamed Broccoli – We all know that steamed rice is an excellent combination of our star dish, but you can just steam broccoli if you don’t want rice. It also has a specific relish that can complement the salty flavor of this dish. That is why considering it is an excellent choice.
- Cauliflower Rice – is another veggie rice that has less flavor. It’s an outstanding alternative for steamed rice! It can balance the salty content in your mouth while eating our star dish. Cauliflower rice can lessen the salinity effect and bring an outstanding combo.
- Green Papaya Salad – Since our star dish has a lot of carbohydrates. Green papaya salad can help you improve digestion. Even though we use olive oil in this course, it’s still oily, so you can eat it and think that this side dish will help you protect against skin damage.
- Mashed potatoes – It’s starchy and will soak up the delicious sauce from our star dish. It can absorb any saucy savor. Plus, it can adapt to any relish that you have in your meal. That is why having it on your dining table is a fantastic option to consider.
- Shredded raw carrot salad – This is also a great choice just to balance everything. The sweetness that your carrot has can lessen the saltiness of your mixture. Aside from potatoes, it can also absorb flavor wit in your meal. That is why it is an outstanding compound to have if you have a salty menu.
Everyone has their version of cooking. Some do not use the same procedure that others use. It does not guarantee that you will yield a hundred percent efficiency and accuracy when using the same process. What’s important is how it tastes, how your people loved it, and whether you cooked it with love or just for compliance. Cooking with the heart matters most because it is like giving yourself to the people you serve.
This cuisine requires the cook the following qualities- patience, passion, and love. You must love what you are doing for you to have positive results. It is not your usual Adobo. Remember the initial steps before cooking it into Adobo—cooking it in bubbling water with salt and pepper. It is so to make sure that the meat is tender and easy to eat. There are kinds of meat that are hard to swallow, chewy, and dry. Cooking it first prevents it from being dry and soggy.
If problems while cooking come across you, always remember to stay calm and that everything has its solution. You will get there; you just have to be patient with what you are cooking. Remember not to skip any of the steps to avoid problems. The tips above are just some of the many remedies and alternatives you can use to troubleshoot your cooking problems, especially in our star dish of the day. The latter is effortless to make and very easy to treat in cases of problems.
For more of this Recipe Please visit Eat Like Pinoy!
Superb Pork Adobo with Eggs Recipe
- 2 lbs Pork belly cut into 2-inch cubes
- 3 pcs Eggs hard-boiled
- 1 pc Onion peeled and sliced thinly, optional
- 1 head Garlic peeled and minced
- 2 pcs Bay leaves
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 cup Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Soy sauce
- 2 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, garlic, and pepper. Mix well and marinate pork bell for at least 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, heat the pot and put the marinade mixture and marinated pork belly.
- Toss in bay leaves and onions. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until pork is tender already.TIP: You can add more water if the pork is not yet tender.
- Set aside the pork when tender.
- Heat oil in another pan, medium fry the pork. Then, set aside when fried.
- Remove some oil from the pan before pouring the sauce & pork into it.
- Put the boiled eggs and simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Serve while hot!