Street foods, especially deep-fried to perfection, will always be one of Filipinos go-to comfort foods. One does not have to go far too from their homes to find various street foods at almost every corner. One of the rising stars amongst the street food roster is this menu, an offshoot of Chinese inspired classic, Lumpiang Shanghai.
This deep-fried goodness is relatively new, but it sure has been a big hit, especially for folks who have a knack for spicy food. Looking at its shape gives us a hint of why it was called such, and biting into it will make us want more. It might seem not very easy to cook, but it is relatively easy.
So, it is our joy to help you cook these recipes so that you and your family can enjoy the recipes in the comforts of your own home. That is why we have listed down the necessary information and steps for you to nail the best Chicken Dynamite Lumpia.
What is Dynamite Lumpia
Dynamite Lumpia is a deep-fried Filipino snack that is generally a term used for any dish wrapped in a thin crepe-like wrapper that is then deep-fried and served with a dipping sauce. A wide variety of filling can make this dish ranging from ground pork to vegetables, making these recipes very versatile. Its simplicity and versatility have been a staple offering in the Filipino kitchen and many of our celebrations and festivities.
On the other hand, it is an experimental twist on the Chinese-inspired Filipino classic. Our recipes are almost similar because the fillings are wrapped with a so-called shanghai wrapper and deep-fried. But what sets our recipes apart is the use of finger chilies as an additional filling aside from the shredded chicken that gives this dish that irresistible kick. Just don’t forget to pith the seeds out of the chilies, lest you want to burn your tongue when eating this deep-fried delight.
The name dinamita might have come from the shape of the dish. The fiery explosion of flavors once eaten solidifies the name that it bears. No wonder how this dish quickly became famous amongst the masses. This dish made its way, not just in the streets, but it has become a reasonably popular offering in restaurants and cafes, wherein they have put their take on the dish. It’s also popular pulutan or finger food paired with alcoholic beverages.
Ways to Cook Best Chicken Dynamite Lumpia Recipe
As we have mentioned, our featured dynamite lumpia is very versatile. Hence, how we can cook our menu can also be accomplished in multiple ways. Thanks to the advancement of technology, there are few other methods that we can cook our dish aside from the deep-frying process.
So take the time to read through how you can cook our featured dish, and see which one fits your liking.
Pan-frying is the most common method of cooking our dish, and admittedly, most of us grew up knowing. And this is, by far, the simplest one that we have on the list.
What you have to do first is to make sure that the amount of oil that you have in the pan is enough to submerge. This is to make sure that each piece is cooked thoroughly while achieving a crispy exterior.
Make sure not to overcrowd the pan to avoid lowering the oil temperature; depending on your cooking pan’s size and depth, 3-4 pieces per batch is suggested. Have a plate ready as well that is lined with kitchen tissue to absorb the excess oil.
The air frying method is becoming more and more popular, especially for people trying to switch to healthier options and cooking methods. So if you are one of those folks, this is the perfect fit for you.
Make sure to pre-heat the air fryer before putting in the frying basket. Put in about four pieces at a time to ensure that each piece is cooked correctly.
As the name suggests, an air fryer does not need oil when cooking any food. But for added flavor, we recommend that you lightly brush the pieces with olive oil or egg wash.
This also locks in the moisture inside the Lumpia.
You might be wondering why we listed down the microwave oven on the list, right? Well, why not? Our ever-reliable oven can also be used to cook our crispy and sumptuous lumpia.
Grab a cookie sheet and spray some cooking oil into it. Then line up the pieces making sure to leave space in between them. Cook the rolls for about fifteen minutes or until all of them are golden brown.
If you are a bit worried if the pieces will be cooked thoroughly, fold them up to smaller sizes to ensure that the oven’s heat can suffice to cook the Lumpia.
Other Delicious Variations of Dynamite
This article mentioned that our dish is one of the many delicious variations of our beloved Lumpiang shanghai. And on that note, variations and improvisations can also be made to our very versatile dish.
Dynamite With Cheese
Cheese can never go wrong with adding this in any dish, may it be savory or dessert. The creamy and salty taste ups the ante for any recipes. And as such, adding a slice of cheese to our Dynamite Lumpia is like a match made in kitchen heaven.
The process of adding cheese to our dish is pretty simple. Slice the cheese to about an inch in thickness and put the cheese on top of the chicken mixture just before casing them all together in a shanghai wrapper.
The cheese’s cream balances out the heat coming from the chilies, which makes it even tastier.
Ham and Cheese Lumpia
Another suggested variation on top of the cheese is ham as a filling instead of ground pork or chicken. The salty and slightly sweet flavor of the ham complements the spice of the finger chilies.
Just slice the ham to about an inch in width; the same goes with the cheese, just enough to fit into the chilies. Then wrap them all up, and they are ready to be fried.
The ham’s meatier texture adds another layer of flavor to our dish, making it even more delectable. And its sweetness balanced out the heat of the chilies.
From the name itself, our Lumpiang shanghai’s origin is already given away. The name lumpia is of Chinese origin, specifically Hokkien, which means soft cake. Our love for this dish dates back to the pre-colonial period when our ancestors started trading goods with Chinese merchants.
On the other hand, “dinamita” literally means itself, which undoubtedly resembles a long wick or fuse of the stick of dinamita.
There are times that kitchen mishaps occur in the kitchen, and it can get frustrating. But don’t worry because we got you covered. We listed down some troubleshooting tips that you can apply in cooking these recipes.
- Exposure to air and moisture after cooking will make it soggy if they are not consumed immediately. What you can do is to re-fry them just before serving them.
We have listed a few tips that you can follow to nail these recipes at home for a more delectable and quality finished product.
- Using the deep fry method, we suggest that you refrigerate it first for about an hour to achieve a crispy wrapper output.
- For added texture and flavor, please put it in shredded water chestnuts into the filling.
- Quick melt cheese is the better choice when you want to add cheese to our dish. The dairy goodness adds a deeper layer of flavor to the dish.
Best Served With
We already know that our menu is already a hit on its own, but we want to share with you some other treats that you can enjoy this dish with.
- Steamed white rice – one can never go wrong with rice. A cup of rice paired with our dish is a perfect match.
- Pancit Canton – what else can be more oriental than this pairing? The savory and saucy stir-fried noodles are a perfect canvass for our deep-fried dish.
- Beer – if you are of legal age and allowed to drink, then Dynamite Lumpia is perfect finger food for you. A glass of cold beer to douse down the heat is a moment to look forward to after a tiring day.
- Fried Chicken – its juiciness inside with a tasty and crispy outside will surely complete your meal.
- Taco Fried Rice – if you’re a lover of a heavy breakfast, then a combination of our featured dish and this flavorful and meaty fried rice is sure to get you through the day.
From its humble beginnings, our dish is no longer just a street food but a delight that can be savored even at our homes. One only needs experience and courage to try and cook them at home.
So with all the information and tips that we have given, we are sure that you are more than equipped to prepare for your loved ones. Who knows, you might even be able to come up with your take on Chicken Dynamite. Happy Cooking!
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
Best Chicken Dynamite Lumpia Recipe
- 1 lb Ground chicken
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
- 6 pcs Long green chilies
- 2 pcs Eggs
- 1 1/2 cup Oil
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 6 pcs Lumpia wrapper cut into half
- In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken, salt, onion and garlic powder. Then add the breadcrumbs and egg. Mix well and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- With a knife, make a slit across one side of each chili pepper to remove seeds and pith.
- Gently fill the chili pepper with the chicken mixture, then wrap with the lumpia wrapper. Set aside.Note: Make sure that the stem of the chili is exposed.
- In a medium container, put the beaten egg. And the Panko bread crumbs on a separate flat plate. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Once the oil is hot, get a wrapped chili, dip in the egg and roll in the breadcrumbs. Then, fry on the pan until crispy brown.
- Transfer in a serving plate over a tissue paper. Eat with your favorite dip.
- Share and enjoy!