Kids and all kids at heart love chicken crunchy nuggets. And today, we will teach you how to make perfect chicken crunchy nuggets right at the comfort of your very own home.
Chicken crunchy nugget menu, as exquisite as it looks, is easy to make. Its ingredients are readily available from every household’s kitchen. This dish appeals best to kids because of its cute bite-size cut and its crisp, delicious coat.
Chicken crunchy nugget menu also offers various ways of cooking, so you choose between frying, air frying, and even baking. This makes the dish easy to make and workable enough for every type of cook you are. You can even experiment with its shapes and sizes, depending on how you would like to present your dish.
What’s special about this chicken crunchy nugget menu is not only is it uncomplicated, but it is that you can be sure that the ingredients and the preparation of the nuggets that you serve for your family is safe and clean. But wait, we have nothing against the ones we buy from the grocery, but is it nicer if you know how to do it right at home too?
Now, before we dive into the ways of cooking and tips that we prepared for you in this menu, let us take a closer look at the dish. You might be surprised that there are a lot of things you might not know about chicken crunchy nuggets yet.
What Is Chicken Nugget Recipes
Chicken crunchy nugget is a type of chicken dish which uses boneless or lean parts of chicken meat. Usually, the breast part is being used because of its natural tenderness and chunkiness. You may also use medium ground pork if you prefer, especially if you plan on molding it into different shapes. Furthermore, you can also use chicken tenders as an alternative to chicken breast. Chicken tenders are smaller chunks of meat than breast parts, but it tastes the same as chicken breast.
The processed chicken crunchy nugget meat is then coated and then breaded with flour mixture and bread crumbs or potato flakes. After breading, you may start cooking them right away. You may also keep some in a closed pack or zipped bag and put it away in the refrigerator for future use.
In the late 1950s, an American food science professor, Robert C. Baker, invented the first chicken crunchy nugget. He is a professor at Cornell University, where the invention was first published as unpatented academic work. Baker first called it “Chicken Crispies”, and later on, he also discovered how to preserve and freeze the meat with batter.
Later on, between the era of its discovery and today, it has been widely manufactured for commercial and household use. A lot of fast-food chambers and restaurants now added crunchy broiler nuggets to their menu. Some serve it as a viand while some as a snack presented in a take-away box or carton.
Ways To Cook Chicken Nuggets
In this part, we will enumerate and explain more the different ways to cook chicken crunchy nugget – fried, deep-fried, baked and air fried. You may choose two or more ways of cooking, depending on how you like your nugget.
Baked Chicken Nuggets
This way of cooking your chicken crunchy nugget is perfect for anxious about fried foods or just do not want to use oil in their cooking. However, this might not be the best option for those who do not have a baking oven at home. Anyway, you can always opt to fry them instead.
After breading, line up the nuggets into lined baking sheets. Set them on a middle rack and bake at 375°F for 15 minutes or until cooked through and a safe 165°F, flipping them on the other side.
Deep-Fried Chicken Nuggets
From its name, the blended or processed breaded chicken was deep fried with Palm or vegetable oil and then drained well before serving. You start by boiling the chicken meat first until softened and then coating it with flour mixtures as salt, pepper, and garlic powder. You will then have to dip it in beaten egg and roll it over on bread crumbs before deep frying.
As it was deeply fried, it usually absorbs too much oil. Ensure you drain off excess oil thoroughly by either letting it drain with a strainer for a few minutes. You may also use a kitchen tissue by putting it over the plate before placing the fried nuggets to absorb the excess oil.
Air Fried Chicken Nuggets
This method is recommended for those who have air fryers at home. This way of cooking chicken crunchy nuggets makes the dish crispier. This is also incredibly faster than the conventional oven.
Bake the pieces at 400°F for 8 minutes, turning halfway. Maintain a 165°F at the center and bake just until cooked through.
Variations Of Chicken Nugget Recipe
You can be very experimental when it comes to chicken crunchy nugget dishes. You can add ingredients to chicken, making it your own and making it extra special. Here are some variations you can start with but feel free to recreate them based on your preferences:
Buttermilk Chicken Nuggets Recipes
With this variation of Chicken crunchy nuggets, we marinate the chicken cuts into buttermilk and refrigerate for an hour. Afterward, we mince the meat in a blender or food processor together with lemon juice, garlic powder, low-sodium soy sauce, chopped parsley, and salt. We start coating it with our flour mixtures, beaten egg, and rolling it over bread crumbs.
Did you know that buttermilk helps those who have digestive problems? Well, because buttermilk contains prebiotics. Just like yogurt and kefir, it contains an active culture that helps helpful bacteria to grow. Aside from its digestive system benefit, it also helps the body in bone growth and prevents osteoporosis. Also has lots of riboflavin vitamins, which are responsible for detoxifying your body.
With all the health benefits of buttermilk, we know that it urges you a lot more to try this dish variant even more.
Baked Quinoa Chicken Nuggets Recipes
This variation of the chicken crunchy nugget dish is very distinct because of the use of quinoa. Marinate chicken meat first with salt, pepper, barbecue sauce, and lime juice for 10 minutes. Then, it is coated with flour, garlic powder, and salt with pepper mixture.
It is also coated with beaten egg, but instead of using bread crumbs, we will use cooked quinoa to bread it before baking until golden brown.
Spicy Chicken Nuggets
In this variation, we are adding some ingredients to make our chicken crunchy nuggets hot and spicy. We also marinate the chicken in buttermilk and egg for 20 minutes before we coat them in flour, paprika, chili powder, and a little salt. To intensify the heat even further, sprinkle chili powder on the nugget’s skin. Deep fry until golden brown, and voila!
Sweet Sour Chicken Nuggets
We liked this variation of the chicken crunchy nugget dish because it is not completely dry as it has this thick sweet and sour sauce. Just boil broth, vinegar, soy sauce, and maple syrup. Add cornstarch and pineapple juice.
Finally, add your fried or baked Chicken crunchy nuggets. Cooked for some time. Add in sauteed vegetables with onion and pepper. You can also add up some grilled bell peppers for extra flavor and healthy crunch to munch on.
Chicken Cheese Nuggets
This variation is almost the same as the old-fashioned Chicken crunchy nuggets dish. The difference is that we also bread the chicken chunks with shredded cheese. Then, we coat with beaten egg and crumb mixture.
After preheating the oven at 200°F:
- Drizzle nuggets with melted butter.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Do not forget to flip over sides until golden brown.
These are just a few of the suggested variations. You can always mix and match them to fit your preference and make it more unique.
Barbecue flavored nuggets
In this variation, we are going to do it like the other flavored variants. The only thing that we are going to change is the flavorings. You can make a delicious barbecue sauce as a dip, or you can sprinkle the crunchy skin of the nuggets with powdered barbecue flavorings.
Korean Chicken Nuggets
Nowadays, the Korean hype has been invading lifestyles worldwide. It started with TV series, and as you watch over their dramas, they always highlight their culture, especially their food and cuisine. We know that you have craved so much for their popular fried chicken, so why not transform this into a Korean inspired chicken crunchy nugget.
The twist in this variant is that it has a spicy Korean sauce for the dip, and the nugget is drizzled with honey and black sesame seeds. The honey is to balance out the sauce’s spicy flavor, while the black sesame seeds are for a nutty flavor. You can also substitute black sesame seeds with crushed peanuts.
Sriracha Chicken Nuggets
If you want a different heat level for your nuggets, then this variant is perfect for you. To make this variant, you will need to add sriracha sauce and fresh ginger to the original dish.
Cook it the same as the other variants as well, which is by deep-frying then after that, serve with your favorite dip and enjoy.
We all know that crispy chicken fillet or patty can be a burger patty substitute to beef patties. In that case, why not try making nuggets into a burger! Just prepare a hot sesame bun, fresh lettuce, ketchup, and mayonnaise. You can also add tomatoes and cucumber to make it even more healthy and delicious.
They say you appreciate a thing better once you get to know it well. So, here are some trivia about the Chicken crunchy Nugget dish.
Did you know that the chicken crunchy nugget dish had inspired a feature-length movie entitled Cooties? The movie is about a grade school child who eats chicken crunchy nuggets infected with a virus. The virus later turned all prepubescent children into zombies.
They also had a world record for the most number of eaten chicken crunchy nuggets in just three minutes. It was Thomas Welborn who held the record. He was able to eat 746 grams or approximately 42 pieces of chicken crunchy nuggets.
A man named Carter Wilkerson once tweeted asking Wendy’s what it would take from them to offer him a year of free nuggets. It was the most retweeted tweet of 2017. The tweet generated over 3.5 million retweets!
The largest chicken crunchy nugget weighed 51 pounds or 23 kilos and was more than 3 feet long. It was made by Empire Kosher and was unveiled in October 2013.
Meanwhile, do not forget to check out our best troubleshooting tips below. These will make your chicken crunchy nugget menu much better and nail the menu.
- Too dry nuggets
To avoid having nuggets that are too dry, boil the chicken meat first. This will keep the moisture intact even after deep frying or baking twice. But if you fail to do so and the nugget is already dry, you may try the variation with sauce or choose a smooth but light dipping to alleviate dryness.
- No bread crumbs at home
If, for instance, you happen to run out of bread crumbs or you forgot to buy one from the grocery store, try using toasted bread and crush it until the desired crumb is achieved. You may also crush corn flakes until the desired crumb is also achieved.
Now let us take a look at some tips we highly recommend you follow to have a perfect chicken crunchy nugget:
- Freezing – freezing the breaded nuggets before baking or frying makes it a lot better. It binds the pieces properly and also makes fried nuggets extra crispy when fried frozen.
- The best part is the breast part – as stated, we highly recommend choosing the breast part because it has no bone, and it has a chunkier meat part compared to other parts. This makes it the perfect chicken part to use for chicken crunchy nugget dishes.
- Dip your hands in the water – before molding the nugget pieces. By keeping your hands moist or wet, you avoid the mixture from sticking to your hands when trying to mold it. Make sure your hands are clean, do not forget that!
- Use molders – the one you use to mold your homemade Polvorons or those you use to mold your baked cookies or candies at home can be a very good tool to mold your nuggets into fun shapes. It is easier than to mold them manually with your hands, plus it makes the nuggets look exciting, especially to kids.
- Breading Substitutes: In the absence of bread crumbs, there are lots of breading substitutes that we will share with you. The first substitute will be cornflakes, or any not too sweet cereals will work just fine. You can also use the famous Japanese breading Panko, located at the supermarket’s Asia section. Aside from that, you can also use crushed pretzels as a breading substitute. Just be mindful in using this because pretzels are quite salty. Furthermore, you can also use nuts and seeds as breading but be cautious because they burn quickly, even in low heat.
Best Served With
Chicken crunchy nugget is a fantastic snack. However, we can enjoy this dish more with some from the below list. Check what is best served with crunchy broiler nuggets below:
- Hot rice – Although, as mentioned, crunchy broiler nuggets are a good snack, we can also use it as a viand. Serve on the side with hot rice and enjoy!
- Tomato dips – Contrary to the dish’s saltiness, the sourness of tomato dips makes it also its best pair. Serve it on the side and add a pinch of basil leaf to garnish.
- Banana catsup – One of the things we inherited from American culture is the use of catsup. And since we still want to eat like Pinoy, banana catsup is the best pair for chicken crunchy nuggets dish too.
- Honey mustard dip – This twist of new dip is perfect for livening up the chicken crunchy nugget dish. The richness of mustard and honey balances the simplicity of the dish itself.
- Mayonnaise – Some did not like sweet or complicated dips and found mayonnaise a perfect dip for all. For crunchy broiler nuggets, this can also be a perfect side because of its natural sourness and simplicity.
- Macaroni Salad – This creamy delight always goes well with boiled and shredded chicken. Now, how about enjoying crunchy nuggets with macaroni salad! You will also get to enjoy it with fresh carrots and raisins.
- Collard Greens – Now if you love greens and lots of them, this side dish is perfect for you. Aside from that, the added bacon and c=onion on this side dish give the greens an exciting flavor. Trying it out with our crispy nugget will guarantee you a superb food experience.
- Fried Green Tomatoes – This low-calorie side dish is perfect for those who are looking for a healthy and light side dish for crispy dishes like this. Aside from having low calories, it is also packed with vitamin A, C, and potassium. We would also like to let you know that there are two types of green tomatoes. One is the unripe red tomatoes, the one you usually ignore at the supermarket, and the one that is green when ripe.
- Yellow Squash Casserole – Imagine eating a bowl of a combination of gooey cheese, crunchy crackers, and tender squash. Just thinking about it makes you salivate to have it paired up with your nuggets. If in case you don’t have crackers available, you can substitute them with cornflakes. Also, if you don’t have yellow squash at the moment, you can alternate it with zucchini.
- Zucchini corn fritters – This side dish is surprisingly light and fluffy. It has lots of zucchini and fresh corn. If you don’t have fresh corn, you can opt to use canned sweetcorn. Serve it with lots of cheese and a ranch dressing.
- Succotash –The combination of sweet corn, lima beans, and chili peppers is a great match to the nuggets. So make sure to make this one as a side, and your family will surely love it.
- Baked Beans – If you want a hearty pair with the nuggets, you can serve it up with baked beans. This delicious treat will surely make you full as it is also loaded with sugar and bacon.
- Fried Okra – Who would have thought this amazing vegetable is an amazing pair to the crunchy nuggets. All you have to do is simply fry them. Even though it is fried, the insides of the okra will stay slimy, making it a perfect pair for fried dishes.
We would like to highlight the benefits of eating okra. As a wonderful fruit, it is packed with vitamins C and K1. Vitamin C is responsible for the body’s overall immune function, while K1 plays a vital role in blood clotting. So if you feel like your wounds clots a little slower than normal, better take lots of okra.
Okra contains antioxidants as well, which is responsible for prohibiting free radicals from forming inside the body. This free radical causes cancer and other incurable diseases.
It also helps the brain keep you from aging and improving your cognitive, learning, and memory functions.
If you hate the slimy, thick gel of okra, well, we will give all the reasons for you to love it. That slimy, thick gel contains a substance called mucilage. When ingested, mucilage binds with the cholesterol to go out of our body as stool. In this scenario, mucilage is preventing our body from absorbing cholesterol. Amazing!
So whenever you are eating cholesterol-high foods, try pairing it up with okra to make sure nothing bad goes stuck inside your body.
Okra also helps maintain blood sugar at a minimum. Aside from that, it is beneficial to pregnant women because it contains folate. Folate is an important nutrient for pregnant women because it is essential in the baby’s womb development.
We know that not everyone loves the idea of including okra in their diet because they see its slime as gross. But there are some helpful techniques that we will share with you to avoid too much slime in okra when cooked.
First, make sure to cook it on high heat because high heat dries out extra slime. Also, ensure that won’t overcrowd the okra in the cooking equipment. Furthermore, you can also pickle okra to avoid the slime; this adds extra flavor to it. Lastly, you can grill it for extra char and smoky flavor.
- Classic Potato Salad – Of course, potato is the perfect pair for crunchy chicken dishes like this. Having a delicious potato salad beside your crunchy nuggets screams a movie night on your couch.
In making this side dish, make sure to use russet potatoes because they are extra starchy. That being said, it makes it perfect for frying and baking.
- Sauteed Brussel Sprouts – The combination of powerful flavors like chili flakes, oregano, and anything that excites your taste buds spice is this Brussel sprouts. Remember that in prepping up your Brussel sprouts, start by giving it a perfect rinse under running water. Then, use a paring knife to remove the stem and pull off any yellow or damaged outer leaves. Ensuring your fresh vegetable clean is always a priority. Make it a habit.
- Strawberry Spinach Salad – You will surely love spinach after eating this side dish. The freshness of the spinach paired with strawberry and spicy red onions makes it irresistible. Don’t forget about the creamy goat cheese, and then you are all set for a heavenly bowl of happiness.
- Strawberry Watermelon Caprese Salad – This bowl of freshness will surely make your crunchy nugget go healthy! Aside from that, the light and refreshing flavor of the salad cleanses the palate after a slightly greasy meal.
Moreover, strawberries are packed with Vitamin C and manganese essential in our body. Also, it is rich in antioxidants responsible for maintaining heart health and blood sugar control. On the other hand, watermelon is a great water source, especially if you are going to eat a fried dish like this.
Watermelon has high water content. To highlight it, even more, it is 92 percent water! It is not just water because it also contains fiber, which is essential in keeping a good digestive system.
Furthermore, watermelon contains ess3ntial compounds and vitamins such as Vitamin C, lycopene, and Cucurbitacin E. These compounds are responsible for heart health, boosting the immune system and antioxidants.
Well, if you are afraid of eating our amazing crunchy nugget dish because of its calorie content, then stop the worry already! Just pair it up with this Strawberry and Watermelon Caprese Salad because it is low in calorie content.
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes – We know there are some potato side dishes on the list already, but we can’t leave this one behind. Most of the scalloped potatoes don’t have cheese, but we know for sure that cheese is happiness, so we add it anyway.
Another thing is that this side dish has crunchy and smoky bacon as well. Bacon and potatoes are a no brainer combination.
To ensure that this side dish is a knockout, slice your potatoes about one-fourth inch in thickness. Also, thick slices of bacon are a must too.
- Loaded Cauliflower Salad – For a protein-loaded dish like this, pairing it up with vegetables is a must to balance out the nutritional content. Don’t worry; this will not be the usual boring diet side dish. Finally, like your kitchen buddy, we can now inform you about a guilt-free side dish. Considering it contains lots of cheese and our beloved crunchy bacon.
This is simple to make! Just cook the cauliflower in a couple of minutes. Then combine crunchy bacon, cheddar cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and some chives.
We will end this with a conclusion on how and why chicken crunchy nugget dish is a big ‘Yes’ to your next cooking. The simplicity of its ingredients wows moms who want to serve delicious meals to the family and think about a strict budget. The variety of ways to cook it offers a wide range of options for everyone to try at home.
Truly because the dish is very plain, it is easy to think of variations we can add to the menu. We can own the dish by adding our favorite spice, searching for alternatives at home, and experimenting with our kitchen to fit our taste buds.
And since it was fun to prepare, we will have our next idea for bonding moments with the kitchen kids.
I dare you to try this easy yet yummy dish at home now. Amaze your family and friends with your easy-peasy cooking skills, and show them that you know how to make a perfect chicken crunchy nugget dish at home!
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
Superb Chicken Nugget Recipe
- 1 lb Chicken Breast deboned, sliced into strips
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tbsp Salt to taste
- 3 pcs Calamansi extracted
- 2 cups Cooking Oil
- 1 pc Egg scrambled
- 3/4 cup Breadcrumbs
- In a bowl, combine the chicken, salt, black pepper and calamansi extract. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Get a plate and put-in the breadcrumbs.
- Dredge each chicken in flour then dip in beaten egg. Roll over breadcrumbs until coated.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot.
- Deep fry the nuggets over medium heat until the color turns golden brown.
- Arrange the nuggets in a plate over a paper towel.
- Serve with your desired dip. Enjoy!