Are you and your family looking for something new and craving a different kind of cake? A healthy cake that is perfect for your diet, the cake that can go well with almost everything. Well, in this article, you will learn about all of those.
You have to try this easy to cook cake that is made up of crab and other healthy and delicious ingredients, and it is none other than THE crab cakes! This kind of cake is not the usual cake you see in stores and markets because it has a different touch from other pastries though they may look the same. It is a gourmet dish that will make your eyes drool once you see it.
If you want to upgrade your tastebuds, you are in the right article! As mentioned in the preceding paragraph, this cake is not your typical cake. It is a rare and special one, incomparable even to cookies. The recipes provided will make you feel that you have flown to Maryland, the land where the classic and original versions of this cake belongs.
Moreover, the overall cooking process of these recipes, from gathering the ingredients up to putting them together, is very easy. You have to be critical and meticulous about it. Remember, everything has to be exact and balanced in cooking. This article will provide you everything about these kinds of cakes, from the origin down to the plate. Let's start now!
What are the Best Recipes of Crab Cake?
A crab cake dish is a type of fish cake that is very prominent and popular in the United States. Crabmeat is the primary ingredient in making this delish. Its recipes are mixed with mayonnaise, bread crumbs, mustard, egg, and seasonings such as salt and pepper.
There are two ways of cooking this dish; you can bake them (suggested) not to look flattened. Oven cooking process will make it quicker to cook, and the output will be better. However, these cakes can also be cooked thru pan sautéing on the stove. Expect to make it look like patties if you prefer this way of cooking. Undoubtedly, both of the processes will yield positive results and will deliver delicious taste to the people. It is up to you to choose what type of cooking you will use at your most convenient. Just be sure to thoroughly follow the step-by-step procedure provided in the recipes to avoid dispute and not compromise the dish's taste.
Furthermore, these specialty cakes can be described as a breath of fresh air in your appetizer menu. It is new and foreign to most of the restaurants. They do not belong to the same category as the cookies. It is most of the time preferred to be served when hot or when it just got out of the pan. Usually, cakes are listed in the dessert section. Since it is not the ordinary sweet cake recipes that most people are familiar with. Some think that it must be subserved before the main menu, or sometimes, this can also be served as the main dish for a special luncheon or dinner.
What are you waiting for? This article is full of the best recipes that you are looking for!!
Good ways to Enjoy the Best Crab Cakes Ever
There are different types of crab cakes depending on how you want your seafood cake to be made. Here are the different versions of crab cakes that you can try doing at home. Seafood cakes like these are for everybody!
The following are the suggested versions of this food that you don't know will actually give you a happy mood. It will be helpful, especially if you are on a healthy lifestyle, because the recipes will provide you with different formats and ways to reduce fats, calories, and carbs.
This part of the article will also show you the different ways and procedures of cooking the best version of this cake you could ever taste. The following recipes can make you fly to the land of the authentic crab cakes, MaryLand.
Crab Cakes- Keto version
Healthy living? Are you on your gluten-free and high protein diet and worried that the ingredients of the typical crab meat cake recipes wouldn't suit your body? Worry no more because this so-called Keto Version Cake is almost the same as standard seafood cakes. The difference is that it is customarily made healthy for you.
The recipes of this type of crustacean cake is composed of almond flour, white egg and homemade almond oil and white egg mayonnaise as the main ingredients of your homemade diet cake. As you can see, the components of this recipe may be a bit different from the recipes of the usual cakes, but rest assured that you can't tell the difference from what both of them taste like.
Good Low Carb Crab Cakes
Low carb crab meat cakes are also on our menu list. The low carb cake recipes are specially made for those food lovers who are in the process of cutting weight by controlling their intake of carbs. Basically, a typical sea gumbler cake ingredient is white bread crumbs or bread, but this time, it is suggested to use bread crumbs made up of almond flour and almond oil, and coconut flour as a binder.
So prepare your ingredients and follow the recipes now and try this special low carb cake without cheating on your diet. You can find the ingredients for a healthier seafood cake everywhere. It is effortless to find and assemble. The ingredients as mentioned earlier are used as a substitute for the elements that are made of carbs, the use of such will lessen the carbs, but it will not compromise the taste of the original crab meat cakes. Slight differences are just made on the ingredients. Thus, the process of making it is still the same.
Best Crab Cakes- Fresh Broiled version
Broiling is another way to cook your cakes, and it will be as delicious as your baked and sauteed crustacean cakes. It is usually the procedure used when making cookies. The process is as easy as baking and frying it. Here are the reasons why broiling them can be considered an option in cooking these recipes.
- Broil if you want to reduce the fats of the lumps of the cakes in contrast with the recipes. Instead of using oil in frying it, you will just be needing heat, thus extracting the extra fats because of the heat.
- Broiling is more manageable than frying.
- The cakes' textures and flavors allow them to shine more when you broil them than when you fry or bake them.
Baked Crab Meat Cakes Recipes
In the earlier part of this article, it is mentioned that baking is also a way of cooking this kind of cake. Different procedures in cooking this will still give you the same taste as the other procedures. It just so happened that some of them gave the dish an extra effect.
Baked bellyacher cakes are made by putting them in the oven rather than broiling or frying it. Before cooking it, you first have to preheat your oven to ensure that the cakes will cook thoroughly. This type of cooking is also healthy because you don't need to put oil into it.
Pan Fried Crab Cakes
If you don't have an oven at home, you can still achieve your desired delicious seafood cake by pan-frying it. Its appearance would not be the same as when it is baked or boiled. It will look like a patty. When you pan-fry your cakes, make sure to refrigerate them first to make sure that it will not fall apart. It should be deep-fried so that the cakes will also cook inside. Pan-fried versions of these cakes usually have crispy crusts.
When you are not on a strict diet, pan-frying these kinds of cakes could be your option. It is the most convenient choice among recipes to follow because most of us use a stove at home which can make you cook them anytime you want.
Microwave- cooked Crab Cakes
Microwave-cooked seafood growler cakes can only be allowed when a crab cake is precooked or bought frozen from a store. A crab cake should not be fully cooked in a microwave because the advisable time to use it is only 60 seconds. These kinds of recipes are not suitable for making such a whole.
Best Spicy Crab Cakes
If you are a person who always wants to be thrilled by the taste of the foods you eat, you can also add up spices to your lump cakes. Spicy lump or claw cakes can be achieved by adding more pepper, paprika, and cayenne or chili powder to the batter mixture.
The process of cooking the spicy rendition recipes of these cakes is the same as the regular ones. It will just taste slightly different because of the spices added. It will be more spicy and hot. You can also make your cake spicy by dipping it into a hot sauce.
Best Sauce recipes for the Crab Cakes
There is no need to go to Maryland for you to be able to taste the most luscious crab meat cakes ever. You can make your crustacean cakes just how you want it quickly and conveniently. What you need is great recipes and a perfect sauce to complete your dish.
You are free to customize and add up a little flavor to the sauce recipes you are making for your crustacean cake, which you can later identify as your version or sauce recipes. Making the sauce or the dip of this cake is within your call, although there are traditionally suggested recipes that you can use as a guide in making it.
Here are the most commonly used or paired sauces to the crab cakes.
Remoulade Sauce Recipe
The top-notch and the most picked sauce for seafood cakes is the remoulade sauce. The combination of mayo, paprika, garlic powder, mustard, and Cajun seasonings compliments the cakes' flavors.
When you just heard of this word, crab cake comes next to mind. This combination is perfect for all occasions. The sauce itself creates mouthwatering flavors, which makes it very easy to be paired with any seafood cakes.
Gazpacho Sauce Recipe
This flavor is different from the preceding one. If you want something that will boost up your mood in a healthy way, try this sauce if you want your crab cake sour. This tomato made sauce will balance the flavor of your type of cake. Besides tomatoes, it is made with different kinds of blended vegetables and olive oil.
This sauce is very healthy given that it is made from vegetables. Nowadays, healthy foods do not have to be bland or boring. You just need to loosen it up a little, add a simple twist to it, and then yes, it's amazing.
Facts and Trivias of these Recipes
History of the best original crab cakes
Did you know that crab cakes were first cooked in the 1930s in Maryland? It started with combining crabs with bread crumbs or crackers along with seasonings and mayonnaise. The term crab cake was later on coined by Crosby Gaige when he included the menu in his cookbook entitled the New York World's Fair Cook Book and named it the "Baltimore Crab Cakes."
Restaurants and markets use "Maryland Crab Cake" or "Maryland-style" crab cake to advertise their cake product. When you say Maryland Crab Cake, it will give you the sense of authenticity in the many because that is where the whole seafood industry thrives.
Nutritional Facts about this Recipe
- Calories: 261kcal Potassium: 243mg
- Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 20g Sugar: 1g
- Fat: 7g Vitamin A: 41IU
- Saturated Fat: 1g Vitamin C: 6mg
- Cholesterol: 36mg Calcium: 95mg
- Sodium: 851mg Iron: 3mg
Troubleshooting these Recipes
When the recipes of cooking the Best Crab Cake ever went wrong
There is no certainty in cooking. It is very inevitable for one to commit mistakes, especially for complicated dishes like this. Different perspectives lead to different ways of cooking. That's why as a reminder earlier, this article made sure that you are told to be critical and thorough in following the procedure of cooking the gourmet cakes.
The following are the most commonly encountered problems in cooking these cakes:
If your crab cakes are salty:
- Cooked corn relish sauteed in butter with lemon- it is suggested to put this as your garnish. The sweet and sour taste of this garnish will still make your variety cake delicious.
- Add the right amount of lump or claw to add sweetness to the mixture. Add a tablespoon of white sugar, then mix it. Before you put the mix in a cooking pan or a cooking oven, have a taste of it first to avoid further problems. By then, you can tell which flavor to add or to reduce in the mixture.
If your crab cakes are bland:
- Add more crab meat to it; remember that when you add an ingredient, add a pinch of salt to balance the flavor. The salt helps in bringing out the real flavors of the ingredients.Deliberately follow the recipes.
- Choose the sauce that would compliment it. Different variations of dressing can be made for the cakes depending on how you want to deliver them.
If your crab cakes won't mold at their best shape:
- Add the right amount of flour and bread crumbs and make sure that the mixture is thick and easy to mold.
- Avoid putting too much water in it because aside from the fact that it lessens the taste of the dish, it makes the same watery, thus making it hard to mold.
- It is usually advised to keep it frozen or refrigerated hrs before actually cooking it.
If your crab meat is too mushy:
- Refrain from using too much filler and too many ingredients. It will only taste like filler, and the essence of the sea flavor will be gone. These kinds of cakes may be complicated in the process, but it should be treated simply.
- The right amount of all the respective ingredients should suffice the recipes of this gourmet cake. Overdoing it might only lead you to problems.
If your crab cake is cooked under prescribed hrs:
- When you cooked your crustacean cake in the oven, the most helpful thing to do is to place it again inside the oven and increase its heat from that of the previous cooking. The time should be shorter because you just want to make sure that the inside is also well done.
- On the other hand, if it is a pan-fried cab cake, all you have to do is to cook it in medium-heat oil, or you may cut it in half so that the parts of the lump of the cakes would be equally cooked.
If your crab is not fresh:
Boil the crab meat in water with salt. If the smell did not go away, you have no choice but to let go of the bad seafood and buy a new one. It would be the better thing to do because rotten seafood might lead to sickness. There are instances where it only takes hrs to make them rot.
Tips in cooking the Best Ever Crab Cakes Recipes
For additional helpful information about crab meat cake preparations, this part of the article is what you need.
There are certain circumstances or situations where you will need assistance or tips in cooking. You think you know everything until you encounter them. Here are some of the tips that might help you achieve the perfect crab meat cakes.
Good things to note for the Best Ever Crab Cakes result:
- When frying, add a small amount of water or butter to avoid burning or sticking. The pan should be in high heat to prevent the cakes from sticking to the pan. They almost have the same physical appearance with the cookies. If you are cooking using this process, always remember to be alert and check the food from time to time.
- Preheat the oven for 20 mins before placing the uncooked gourmet cakes to make them golden brown on top and firm to touch. It is done so to cook the inside of the said cakes. There are times when the outside of the dish is slightly burnt, but the inside is raw, so it is essential to do this in cooking it in the oven.
Avoid using a canned crab meat in making these recipes because:
- The use of such will not guarantee the success of the dish because the canned seafoods do not have the same quality as those knitted from the crustacean claw or lump itself. Most of the canned seafood lump does not have the same flavor. It is one reason why some of the versions of these cakes are mushy.
- The canned lump's life is very short, which means that it should be consumed right away. It is not acceptable to use if you are going to do your crab meat cake mixture ahead of time because the lump might go bad before you even cook it.
How to know if the crab meats are fresh
You can determine if your seafood is fresh by smelling it and by looking into its color and texture. When those sea growlers are slimy and waxy, sometimes, they even have a sour smell, it is not advisable to use anymore. It will not give you your desired result of a perfect crustacean cake.
How to make sure that crab cakes are ready for consumption
It is very easy to know if you can consume the delicious cake that you made. Of course, it is a given that you are excited to try it because you made it. To know whether the mixture of the cake is successfully made, you will need to cut it in half after you get it out of the oven. If it is cut smoothly and there is no sign of the batter liquid, then it is good.
How to make them crispy recipes
The standard recipes’ trick to make crispy seafood cake is to refrigerate from 30 mins up to several it first before heating them in the oven or frying it. You can achieve it either by baking or by frying it. The difference is that you don't have to use oil in the oven, which prevents it from greasing, whereas in frying it, you have to make sure that you have drained the oil so well to lessen fats and grease. Just like the cookies, it is crispy outside but soft inside.
Avoid patronizing store-bought crab cakes
- It is better to do all the cooking and preparing rather than buy the ready to cook ones. The recipes are very easy to follow, and the ingredients are just around the corner. You can make your own anytime you like to. It will give you the satisfaction by just cooking it, and eating your work afterward. You can make it using your own version.
- Store-bought types of these cake recipes are those which are frozen and made long before you can cook them. There are chances that they are not fresh. You will not appreciate the authentic taste of a true crustacean cake.
Top way to thicken the mixture of the crab cakes
It is important that the recipes are followed and that the mixture is thick for you to mold it and cook it quickly. This tip will hinder your prepared batter mix from falling apart, and it will hold all of the ingredients while it cooks like the dough of the cookies. You can only achieve the yummiest crustacean cake when all was done entirely and correctly, when nothing fell in the course of cooking, when all of the ingredients went well together and when it still stuck together even when you pan-fried it or when you put it in a pan.
The greatest style to reheat crab cakes
- It always happens when there is too much food on the table, and you have no choice but to put the leftover ones in the fridge.
- When you are going to heat a frozen leftover seafood cake, the first thing that you need to do is to thaw it in the microwave for one minute and then proceed to reheat it. There are different ways of reheating it, and the finest way is through putting it again in the oven.
- If you bake it again in the same amount of mins, it will still give you the same quality as the freshly cooked one. It is up to you if you are going to add sauce to it or how you are going to serve it.
The total time of baking frozen crab cakes recipes
- The oven should be preheated before putting the pan inside it. The range must be at 400 degrees, and it must be cooked within the total time of 25-30 mins.
- You have to be very particular with the degree of the heat and the number of mins needed to cook it. It is so to avoid your dish from being overcooked or undercooked. You will still have to check it from time to time to see if the delish cakes are being cooked inside the oven properly.
Baking crab cakes is not the same as cookies
Always remember that this cake is a gourmet dish, not a pastry, so automatically, it will not have the same procedure and way of cooking as the pastries. The ingredients, recipes, cooking time are not the same.
Properly store the crab cake
- If it happened that you made a crab cake mixture, which is more than what you need, don't worry because you can always store it. When reserving a raw mixture of this cake, make sure to put it in a very clean and sealed container and put it in the freezer minimum of 30 mins. Please take note of the freezer, not in the refrigerator. As stated in the recipes, take note that the two of them are not the same.
- The dish’s recipes mixture should be frozen for it not to go bad. Properly storing a crab cake mixture can make it last up to 8 months. It will also help you to easily cook your favorite cakes anytime you want to without going through all the troubles in gathering the ingredients. Moreover, you are sure of the mixture because you are the one who made it.
The best substitute for mayo in crab cakes recipes
- There are some unfortunate events where the most essential ingredients in the recipes are not available in the supermarkets. If that is the case, do not panic because you can use substitutes.
- For mayonnaise, you may use the mixture of egg, lemon with sprinkles of seasonings to add taste instead of using it. This substitute mayo recipes can be used by those who are not so fond of mayo and of those who are cautious in the food they eat because of a strict healthy food diet. The mixture is practically a mayonnaise without oil.
- Even without the mayo, you can still thicken the prepared cake mixture recipes because of the fillers and the bread crumbs.
The right oil to fry them in
In cooking the crab cakes, you must make sure that it is deep fried with a high temperature. The oil should be heated for a few mins before you use it for frying. Any kind of oil will do, but sometimes, they can affect the enchanting taste of the cake. The better option is to use the canola oil. It is known for its quality, and it can fight up with the high heat needed to cook the crab cake. Some of the oils burn easily, and we do not want that to happen because it can be a risk to our health and our menu's taste.
Superb when Served With
Crab cake recipes surely can go with anything. In less than 60 mins, you can serve this food to your family and friends. It is a dish that will put you on cloud nine for a few mins after the first bite because of how it tastes. This part of cooking and serving will also test your creativity and resourcefulness, especially in terms of pairing and complementing foods together.
Make your types of cakes slightly more special by these best served with suggestions that you can buy or even make anywhere you are and anytime you want. Here is a list of some of the possible menu that can give you the perfect combination.
Oven-roasted vegetables with crab cakes
The flavors of these oven-roasted vegetables will make your crab cakes healthier, and this is ideal for keto and low carb seafood cakes. Any kind of vegetable recipes will do as long as it is roasted. The vegetables are seasoned well enough to compliment the taste of the crustacean cake. Usually, they are roasted in the oven for specific mins.
You don't have to worry that much when you are eating fried seafood cake recipes or even the baked ones, thinking that it is unhealthy because you can eat it together with vegetables without risking that the taste might not be the same.
Grilled vegetables and crab cakes
The difference between the grilled and roasted vegetable recipes is the manner of its cooking. In grilling the vegetables, the source of heat is the fire from the coal. You will have a griller pan heated for a few mins on top of that and that is where you are going to put the vegetables. To add taste to them, you will season them just like how oven-roasted vegetables are seasoned.
This style is as healthy as the oven-roasted vegetables. It is just sizzling and more smokey because these kinds of recipes are cooked outdoors. They are usually served during picnics and beach outings.
Crab cakes with Buttered corn relish with Roasted Tomato and Pepper Coulis
Make your dinner special with these add-on recipes on your plate with your preferred version of bellyacher sea cake. These two complement each other and will make your plating and aroma more mouthwatering.
The process of cooking these recipes are very easy. You will just saute them on the pan with butter and olive oil, and it is ready to go with your crab cake in an instant. A bite of each of them in one spoon tastes like heaven.
Herbed Potatoes and Crab Cakes
Herbed potatoes are very easy to make. You have options in cooking the potatoes. First, it is up to you if you will boil it before seasoning it with different herbs and spices or if you like to directly bake it without boiling it.
The usual herbs used here are basil, parsley, rosemaries, and thymes, seasoned with salt, pepper, and olive oil. They will be baked for 25-30 mins. This portion will not fail you if you are looking for a delicious healthy plate. It is still within the bounds of the standards of those who are strictly watching their diet.
Crab cakes with fresh coleslaw
As we go on, we realize that crab cake is the key to make a non-vegetarian person eat vegetables. They just go so well together. The variations of the vegetables are impeccably complimentary with the gourmet seafood cakes. In a few mins, tadaaaa, you can serve it right away. Coleslaw is the easiest to make among the suggestions. You can make a lot beforehand and just store it in the refrigerator.
The components of coleslaw are cabbage, carrots, and radish mixed with mayonnaise and lemon. It is served when cold.
Crab cakes and wines
Crab cakes are applicable on all of the pages of the menu book. It can be a snack or a main dish. It is a very flexible food. If you are in the mood for a wine night with your friends, the fried or baked version of this cake is the perfect pick-a food for it.
In choosing the right wine, please take note of the light ones, for it may be incredible to be paired with these cakes. It helps unleash and release the seafood’s inner flavors and the other ingredients of the crab cake.
Since pan-fried crab cakes look like burger patties, it will not be weird to eat them together. You can even make crab cake burgers in bread rolls. You will make it just like the way you make ordinary breads. While kneading the dough for a couple of mins, you can add the flavors of that dish inside it. The sweetness of the bread balances the flavors of the crab cakes.
There is no definite time for serving crab cake burgers. It is good for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It has fewer calories than those of the regular burgers.
Crab cakes with chips
Suppose these luscious cakes can be served as the main dish, all the more that it can be served for merienda with chips and crackers. It is very yummy, especially if there are variations of dips. You can have it when you are watching a movie or when you are hanging out with your family and friends.
Rice and Crab cakes
If you are a traditional eater, this is the greatest suggestion for you. Some people opt to eat the rice rather than vegetables. It is also superb when paired with rice as it can be served during lunch or dinner main dish rather than it being just a appetizer.
Thank you for spending your 30 mins of your time reading and learning this article about making the tastiest crustacean cakes. You can now do your own version using the guides provided here. You can upgrade, add twists, and modify the dish just the way you want to serve it with your loved ones. Should there be problems or questions about the dish, please go back to this article. Rest assured that, if not all, then most of your queries will be answered here.
For the first time cooks of these seafood cakes, do not worry about making your dish perfect, what matters is your passion and persistence in making it. Not making the perfect version would not make you less of the person you are. This article is specially made to help you out!
Furthermore, the tips and the troubleshooting suggestions on this page are all very accessible and helpful. In just one click, everything that you need to know will be right before you. The dish's preparation is very easy if you feel like you have forgotten a step, just check this article out for your convenience.
Now that we are here in this part of the article, you might be thinking of doing it now. Just patiently follow the steps and procedures, and boom, you have the most delicious ever cake on your plate. We hope that reading this article for a couple of mins has been the most productive mins of your life. There are many side dishes and sauces or dips to choose from!
Again, thank you very much. Happy cooking!
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
The Recipes of the Best Crab Cake Ever
- 2 cups Crab meat
- ½ teaspoon Ground black pepper
- ¾ cup Bread crumbs
- 1 pc Egg
- 1 cup Oil
- ½ cup Flour
- 1 teaspoon Seasoning
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl, put-in the lump or claw meat and season with salt, pepper, seasoning, breadcrumbs, and egg. Mix them well for 10 mins, then refrigerate it while covered for 15 mins.
- Then heat oil in a pan (for pan-fried) for 3 mins, mold the mixture like patties and roll them in the flour before directly putting them on the pan. Cook for 2 mins each until it gives you a golden-brown texture. On the other hand, if you are going to bake it, preheat the oven to 400 degrees for 10 mins. Put parchment paper on the pan and put the molded mixture of crab cake on it. Take note that you do not have to roll it in the flour; you just have to make sure that the mixture is refrigerated and thick enough to avoid it from falling apart.
- For baking: bake it for 25-30 mins.
- Let it rest for 10 mins
- Transfer to a serving plate. Eat and enjoy!