Who would not like to indulge in a bite of the best Mongolian beef? We all know that Asians are not a big fan of beef recipes because it is common knowledge that red meat is quite expensive. But thanks that it did not stop them, especially the beef lovers, with the cravings of their favorite dish.
In this article, we will guide you on how to prepare recipes in a funtastic way. The process of cooking Mongolian beef at home is as manageable and straightforward as the beef broccoli recipe. The only challenge will be what other components to change or add to have a totally new exciting experience with the dish.
So choose to serve your family a delicious lunch or dinner extra special. Without sweating too much in the kitchen, you can pull this one-off. Recipes like this call for a whole family dinner.
In addition to this, there are many recipes and methods to be thankful for. We will share with you how to cook this meal healthily. If you want to get some ideas for a change, read through this article, and you’ll find out. But first, let’s get to know what this meal is, and where it came from.
What Is Mongolian Beef
You might find the name not only pricey but intimidating, too. However, hold that thought yet and let us help you execute this meal worth your every penny. The name might suggest that it came from Mongolia, but it did not. It’s a Chinese-American dish. It’s a Chinese dish with a different name.
You might be curious why this is named Mongolian beef. Initially, it is a beef meal born in Taiwan. This is an innovation to the Mongolian Barbeque. Despite the name, the recipes’ ingredients and methods are nothing to be related to Mongolia.
You would also find Mongolian beef recipes like these in Taiwan’s streets even up to this day. Yes, it is actually a street food, but innovation opens the possibility of transformation to being an everyday table meal and sometimes even a more exquisite course. You would also be amazed that it can be a great combination of other street foods.
The propensity of this meal to be served as a high-class course is possible. Incorporating components like Madeira or herbs can bring a luxury appeal to the meal. It reopens doors for more challenges to professional chefs or house chefs as well.
Chinese recipes would often stir fry beef with scallion. In addition, lamb meat is also commonly done in stir-fry in China as a change. This type of food is very well-known in Asia, especially by Chinese, maybe because it is the most manageable recipe version to cook and doesn’t have many needed ingredients.
Concerning this, this beef recipe’s taste is on the savory-sweet side, perfect for Asian palates. Although this is a Westernized Asian recipe, it’s still an excellent treat to have on the table on any occasion.
Now that the origin of this beef recipe has been cleared. Let’s jump on how to make the sauce.
What Is Mongolian Beef Best Sauce Made Of
If you are still clueless about what it is made of, the following will be thankful for.
What makes a tasty beef dish? If you answer sauce, you can’t be any more right on that. It looks like a dish change and calls for significant cravings if the sauce is a total win. Beef recipes also commonly highlight its importance in a dish. Typically, it opens a new dimension of flavor if done entirely based on the recipes.
The sauce is primarily the combination of the following:
- soy sauce
- brown sugar
- Asian sweet chili sauce
- rice wine, and;
- sriracha sauce.
With the right amount of every component in beef recipes like this, you will have the most delectable beef sauce for meals like this. The sauce is an essential part of recipes like this. The propensity of perfecting recipes like this lies in the proper execution of the recipes given.
New variants of sauces also came to existence as the time passed by. Thanks to the unending cuisine innovations across the world. Also, the Chinese play a big part in the foundation of the taste of the sauce. It depends on the culture that is cooking the dish. Nonetheless, the sauce contributes to the flavor of this dish.
Later on in this article, you will be thankful for the recipe secrets we will share with you. It surely reopens new learning for your kitchen diary. This can be an additional knowledge for you to consider in making your sauce. It will surely make your dish a knockout for everyone’s taste buds.
Easy Ways To Make a Good Mongolian Beef
Before we start the best cooking beef recipes like this, let us tackle first the importance of using beef as the main ingredient of recipes like this. Red meat is packed with nutrients needed by our body. Not just that, it is delectable, but it strengthens the body too.
Before we start the best cooking beef recipes like this, let us tackle first the importance of using beef as the main ingredient of recipes like this. Red meat is packed with nutrients needed by our body. Not just that, it is delectable, but it strengthens the body too.
Beef has L-Carnitine, which cuts down unwanted body cats. It is also one of the most potent protein sources and too generous in building muscle mass. An antioxidant is present in this meat as well. Furthermore, it is loaded with minerals and vitamins your body needs in daily strenuous activities.
Now that you know more about the importance of the main ingredient. We can not wait to satisfy your cravings. Let’s elevate the dish and start the fire up.
If you think of new ways to cook this meal quickly but have no specific idea on how to start, don’t worry, we got you. Below are notable recipe methods on how you can cook meals with a change.
Follow the simple guidelines, and you will succeed even on the first attempt. You might want to consider adding this to your next dinner line up.
It looks like you are ready to crave, so ready your notes and pen and start scribbling.
Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
As the world transitions to a fast phase, new ways of cooking go along with it. If you want a prepared dish for dinner in just a minute but still want it to look delightfully tasty, you can do this version of the Instant Pot.
As you may know, Instant Pot is something to be thankful for making soups and curry dishes. It is also useful for making super tender meat! This equipment also seals in the meat’s flavor and ensures that all nutritional juices stay intact.
What is excellent in using Instant Pot is that it will remain hot even if you leave the meal setting aside. That means you can cook ahead of serving time without the fear of serving it cold. This is great for moms who are babysitting and doing house chores at the same time.
Just to emphasize, the benefit of using Instant Pot is that it reduces cooking time to about 70 percent. Furthermore, the utilization of instant pots uses less water than just by preparing using regular pots. With this, the dressing will indeed thicken, and the flavor will sit deep on the meat.
The right method is the right choice for making the meat melt in your mouth. Of course, you can use the stove to sear this meat.
Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
It is the healthier choice of these recipes. All thanks to the slow cooking method because it seals all the nutrients of the ingredients. Aside from that, it keeps the meat so moist.
Furthermore, this method will not give you so many pans to wash after, and you can just put everything inside the cooker and walk away.
Furthermore, everything will be cooked evenly. All you have to do is set the knob to the right setting, and you may leave it till it’s cooked.
This is great when you have other chores to attend to or tired from work because you can use the time while it slowly cooks to rest for a bit. It opens an excellent opportunity to start something new with this modern kitchen aide.
One great thing about slow cookers is that it is more energy-efficient compared to ovens. Furthermore, it ensures that the beef will only excrete all its natural juices because of its slow cooking technology. Hence, no cancer-causing compounds such as lipid oxidation products (LOP) and heterocyclic amines (HCAs) will ruin this healthy meal.
A slow cooker is a must in every busy household. If you are a full-time mom with a little sideline, this is perfect kitchen equipment for you. Being a full-time mom should never be hard. Enjoy it by having this slow cooker meal.
Mongolian Beef Stir Fry
If you don’t have a Slow Cooker or Instant Pot, for a change, you can always use a wok or a skillet. Stir-frying recipes require considerable attention because you cook using a stove where a timer or any fancy settings can not be found. Stir gradually to avoid burning the meat.
Before we start using this technique, we would like to let you know where this frying method originated. It originated from China, where they sear ingredients in a pan. This is to help condiments squeeze out their robust flavor like ginger, garlic, and onions.
Beef flank steak also matches recipes like this and tastes more luscious if seared. Stirring in the sauce with meat makes the components of the recipe incorporated. Cut the beef by the grain to ensure that it is tender once done.
But believe us, you will surely be able to cook excellent and tasty dishes just like in high-end kitchen tools such as the Instant Pot, Crock-Pot, etc..There is magic in stir-frying and sauteing the ingredients one by one in hot oil. Serve hot with warm rice and fill up your belly to your heart’s content.
Furthermore, seared recipes are healthy because they lock up heat-sensitive nutrients from meat and vegetables. It is also done in a short period. Moreover, the taste embarked on recipes like this appear to taste even better.
Mongolian Beef Crock Pot
Thankfully, we are down with our last recipe method to share with you. This can be as salivating as the first meal. It is the same as the Slow Cooker recipes. It’s just using a Crock-Pot. It will simmer down your dish at a measured lower temperature.
If you have a crockpot, just follow our guide on Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef Recipe. If you want to add some carrots, this method will give it an excellent cook while keeping the nutrients intact.
Crock Pots also ensure that the dishes inside will stay hot as long as it is sealed inside the equipment. With this, you can prepare food while the kids are on a siesta, and by the time that dinner is served, it will still be hot for serving.
New And Easy Variations Of Mongolian Beef Recipes
If you plan to create this recipe on another level that suits your preference needs, we are with you on that. You will be thankful for the different healthy variations of this dish. You can choose from the list below, depending on your diet.
You might also consider a lifestyle change after scanning through these recipes’ variations. Create a new family food addiction with the following recipe variants.
Keto Mongolian Beef
If you are a Chinese food lover and yet scared of carbs, this paleo, this keto recipe variant is for you. It is manageable to make and will pleasure your taste buds with exploding flavors. As famously known, the ketogenic diet is a new type of diet that is very low in carbs but high in fat.
To create this fantastic Keto recipe, you will need monk fruit sweetener, gluten-free soy sauce or coconut aminos, glucomannan powder, or xanthan gum. These are the substitutes for table sugar, soy sauce, and flour. They are tested and safe to use. Serve as usual.
To make it even healthier, you can alternate the meat with chicken meat. Or you can use pork for a different flavor. Thanks to the power of condiments because you can just adjust them depending on the choice of meat. Mostly that chicken sometimes tastes bland.
You can also stir in a dash of olive oil to elevate the taste. Olive oil is a type of oil accepted in the ketogenic diet. Extra virgin olive oil has a very distinct taste that adds flavor to meals. It is gladdening to see that meals are transforming with relations to different types of diet.
Before we go to the next recipe variant, you might be curious why the Ketogenic diet has become very popular in the kitchen nowadays. Well, let us tell you that the keto diet is excellent for those who want to lose weight faster. We hope
Spicy Mongolian Beef
Cravings might be hard to satisfy, especially if it is something so distinct. If you are craving for something spicy, avoid the bellyache by serving this spicy meal. If you have a penchant for spicy food, why not do this fry dish with a spice kick? Ever wonder why most people who love spicy food are thin and lean and way healthy? It’s because spicy food can kick up one’s metabolism to speed. It can make your heart and gut health, and not only that, and it has a natural pain-relieving effect.
Who would resist the combination of flank steak and chili sauce? This combination is a table’s winner, and it also looks delectable, making everyone dive into the dish.
Add more heat by using Koreans’ Gochujang sauce. The kick in this sauce is very high so use it in moderation depending on your spice tolerance, But you will be surprised that the heat of this is quite addicting. This goes well with pork, too.
You can use the same ingredients as what we have mentioned and add some chilies depending on your heat tolerance. You can also use a skillet or pan in cooking this dish. If it is too spicy, adjust the taste by adding a little water or sugar. Serve with a warm bowl of rice.
Crispy Beef Mongolian Recipe
If you want crispiness in your bite instead of the usual melt when you use other cooking or recipes method, you can try searing the meat in a wok or skillet, heat oil. Toss in the meat that you coated in cornstarch.
Ensure that the oil is at the right temperature before tossing in the meat to ensure proper tenderness. If the temperature of the oil is not that hot, it will splatter too much. If too hot, the meat will burn just before it cooks to its perfection. Recipes usually have instructions on how long and when to put ingredients in searching for perfection.
Stir fry for minutes/mins until each side is entirely brown. For extra crunch, you can add leeks or chopped spring onions.
Recipes like this can be served during thanksgiving, festivals, and other special occasions. You can also invite some friends to come over for lunch or dinner.
If you want another layer of crispiness in this recipe, throw in chopped scallions or spring onions or even crushed nuts for the toppings. Garnish with sesame seeds and chili flakes. Enjoy.
Vegan Beef Mongolian Recipe
In this variant, you will need a batch of seitan. It is manageable to prepare because the ingredients are readily available, and once you make it, you can wing it. If you don’t have the time to prepare seitan, you can always pan-fry tofu.
All the ingredients are the same except for the meat that we swapped to seitan or bean curd.
Follow the steps we’ve had above. Serve with noodles or rice topped with spring onions.
The importance of a vegan diet helps in weight loss, promotes excellent heart health, and eliminates the chances of getting colon cancer. It also helps in having a more glowing skin because of lesser fat content on a diet.
Low Carb Beef Mongolian Recipe
If you want low carb recipes but don’t want to cut back on meat or gluten. You can have the greatest of both worlds by mixing meat and tofu or seitan as extenders. The goal is to cut back from meat by adding extenders.
The technique in perfecting a low carb recipe is to avoid adding strange additives and carbohydrate-rich foods. So if you have friends under a low carb diet, ensure that you only add the right thing on this dish.
Chicken is also perfect because chicken meat is one of the accepted protein sources in a low carb diet. Chicken also spices up your low carb meal with its distinct chicken taste. Again, chicken digest faster than other meats, making it the right choice in making this low carb meal.
Use the same cooking process we have been mentioning through all the recipes before this version and serve it with cauliflower rice, barley, or quinoa for low carbs rice.
Ground Mongolian Beef
If you want something comfortable to chew on, then this variant is perfect for you. You can use all the components used in other variants. Just replace it with ground meat. The preparation methods are the same as well.
Ground beef, once cooked, will have that burger-like taste. Furthermore, it is easier to cook than to cut meat. The dressing also incorporates better with this type of meat.
If you want to impress kids with this meal, you can shape the ground meat into patties. Only searing them into medium heat and just pouring in some dressing to make it appear like a burger steak.
Easy Mongolian Beef Recipe Best Troubleshooting Guide
If you are a beginner to this kind of recipe but want to cook this for your family over lunch or dinner, we got your back if you mess it up.
Helpful tips in Salty sauce
The cause might be you put in more than oyster or soy sauce that is allowed. What you can do to remedy this is to add water or drop some raw potatoes. Since this is a sweet dish, you can add a dash of sugar to fix the overpowering salty taste.
Cooking time must be not enough, or you slice the meat thicker than thin. If this happens, cook for another 5 mins in a low fire covered.
Again, the right amount of cooking time will solve or prevent this from happening. New other ways include blanching the vegetables in just seconds to preserve the vegetables’ crisp and nutrients.
Easy fix at home if the sauce is sweet
One kitchen accident might be adding too much sweetness to the dish. Not everyone is fond of too sweet dishes. If you encounter this mishap, add lemon juice or lime; apple cider vinegar will also do the trick. Shy away from adding balsamic because of its inherent sweetness.
The burnt aftertaste on the meat
This is the most common mistake for first-time cooks. Do not be afraid because there is a simple remedy that you can use even on other recipes. Just add a squeeze of lemon juice, a sprinkle of sugar, or if you have available in your kitchen, you can splash a little bit of Sherry or Madeira. Both have a sweet taste and will gradually excite the flavor of recipes like this.
Trivia: Helpful Benefits of Mongolian Beef Recipe Ingredients
Just like any other dish, this course is packed with nutrients that you can benefit from.
Although this dish is packed in high salt content and sugar, there are still benefits with ingredients used in this dish so you can enjoy nutrients like proteins, vitamins, and minerals. You can cut down or substitute some of the elements for healthier options.
Beef (flank steak)
Lean cute red meat is heart friendly as it contains fewer fats and cholesterol and low sodium. It is usually the cut from the cow’s abdominal muscles. It is also one of the healthiest amounts of red meat because it is packed with more protein and fewer calories.
Using this kind of red meat ensures that it will not be overdone over the heat because this meat’s full nutritional content is significantly given when prepared medium.
Red meat is also jam-packed with Vitamin B6 and B12, Iron, and protein. Heated red meat has 27 percent of protein.
Other benefits include repairing body cells, great for growth because of protein, aid to people with anemia because of its Iron content, and the greatest gift to people on a diet.
- Coconut aminos
(substitute for soy sauce) Even though coconut aminos is made from a sugary substance, it has a low sugar content due to its fermentation process. It is a healthy alternative for table sugar.
Although this will seem a fresh method to home cooks, this is something worth considering. This type of sugar is advisable for people with diabetes. Coconuts are incredibly high in manganese, essential for bone health and carbohydrates, proteins, and cholesterol metabolism.
It contains gingerol, a substance With powerful medicinal properties, and it can treat many forms of nausea, especially morning sickness. Wanna know more about its benefits? Well, this article will provide all the great things about ginger.
First, it eliminates the foul odor of the meat. Another thing is that it is loaded with gastrointestinal benefits like antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory factors. Furthermore, it fights off heart diseases, lung problems, and promotes healthy aging.
It is not new to many that garlic is very nutritional for cooking. Benefits of garlic include lower blood pressure and cholesterol, an anti-inflammatory effect, a reduced risk of cancer, and a more muscular immune system.
Furthermore, garlic is packed with Manganese, Vitamin B6, Selenium, and fiber. It also prevents Alzheimer’s disease and Dementia to the elders. You can enjoy a nutritional meal and longer life just by incorporating garlic on daily meals.
Totally Helpful Tips In Cooking Mongolian Beef You Can Try At Home
To put up an excellent first impression in making this dish for the first time, you can follow the tips below.
- In choosing the meat, pick the flank steak or sirloin. Cut it in a grain. Following this tip will quickly cook the meat. You can cut it for about ¼ inch thick per cut.
- When using oil, use peanut oil or vegetable oil to enhance the flavor and won’t give you that greasy after taste. You can also have olive and sesame for great flavors. These are also perfect for health-conscious diners.
- Before marinating the meat, let it rest and wipe it with a damp cloth to ensure that it will achieve maximum tenderness. Treat your fresh meat with tender care because the one who cooks has the most tasting meals.
- Marinade the meat with the sauce mixture for an hour or overnight to lock in the flavor when you cook it. Ensure that you follow the step-by-step process of perfecting the dressing to achieve the meal’s most tasteful flavor.
- Slow cook, slow cook!! Nothing beats a dish that is cooked low and slow. Great things happen if you have patience, especially when you are cooking. Not just that, the dish will taste superb, but the feeling of achievement that you are calm in the kitchen is there, too.
- Avoid overcrowding the pan. If you do, it will not cook evenly. You can try cooking the meat first, followed by the veggies. Another reason why overcrowding is not right is that instead of achieving the desired crispness on the meat, it will steam instead.
- In the absence of red meat, you can use chicken or pork as an alternative. Just adjust the condiments to perfect the taste because chicken tastes lesser than other meats. This will also cut down the cost of the serving. These alternatives are something to be thankful for because you can cook this kind of dish daily.
- If you have an extra budget for his meal, three types of beverages that go well with steaks- Sauvignon Blanc (Dry), Barbaresco, and Malbec (oaked, dry).
- Another tip you must remember is that before you start cooking, read the whole recipe first. Yes, stop for a minute, and read everything. This applies to all recipes that you are going to do in the future. This is also a great technique to cut your preparation time.
- If you are going to cook the spicy recipe variant, choose the right choice of spice. You can have bird’s eye chili, by the way, this chili is very hot. Korean Gochujang and other chilis are also an excellent alternative.
- You can also put in your favorite vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, string beans, snap peas, or any vegetable that you prefer but will match the taste of this meal.
- You can also use bean sprouts for the meal. The bean sprouts provide a fresh crunch on the meal, making the meal less greasy. This meal is also a great source of protein because of the meat and the beans.
- If you want to be a pioneer woman, here are some tips on storing this if it has leftovers. Just put it in the fridge and microwave it the following day.
- For leftovers, store in a resealable bag or a microwavable tub for better storage. For meat leftovers, it is advisable to keep it in the freezer, not in the chiller. Doing this will help preserve the taste of the meal and avoid it from spoilage.
What To Serve With Mongolian Beef – A Totally Changing Experience At Home
You are probably thinking of what to serve with Mongolian beef. Either for lunch or dinner or even on a special occasion at home.
Here are some ideas of what to serve with Mongolian Beef.
- Fried or plain rice – fried rice is always to-go-to in almost all stir-fry recipes. Folks can’t help it because the flavors just burst in the mouth. It can also be a soy sauce fried rice to match the taste of recipes like this.
- Dumplings – is the well-loved food of the Chinese’. The smoky flavor of Chinese dumplings will be great paired with the sweet-savory taste of this dish. Thanks to that, good dumplings today are very easy to prepare, and you can create one at home too.
- Pasta – not only can you eat this with rice, but you can also eat it as a good side dish to your pasta. That plain flavor of al dente pasta needs the savory of this red meat meal. The exciting taste of the two will excite your taste buds to the max.
- Tea – So, this dish will not be okay without something good to drink on the side. You can prepare an ice-cold tea or hot tea for a healthier option. Since red meat requires time to digest in the stomach, tea is a great help to ensure your metabolism goes well even after eating a lot.
- Seared Baby Bok Choy – the crunch in bok choy will add intensity to this recipe. Not just crunch, but that veggie aftertaste goes well with recipes like this. It is like eating cabbage or broccoli with red meat. The taste also does not appear greasy because of the help of bok choy.
- Cucumber Salad- the hint of vinegar in this side meal makes it refreshing to the palate after eating a chunk of red meat. It is also great for digesting fatty proteins. Another thing is that it helps remove some greasy after taste from seared foods.
- Coleslaw – Red meat plus vegetable is the most fantastic combination to fill a rumbling stomach. It is also healthy in a very delectable way. Eat this together for a lighter taste of the meal.
- Korean Kimchi – nowadays, more tummies’ are into trying the world-dominating cuisine. Kimchi is fermented cabbage with salt and gochujang paste. If you would notice, Korean recipes usually have this kimchi in everyday meals. Hence, You can try pairing it up with a Moa Mongolian red meat recipe to spice up your dish. It is also suitable for digestion.
- Pickled Papaya – well, this is a more Filipino approach in exciting recipes like this. With its sour taste and refreshing take on papaya, it is good to have it with Mongolian red meat because it cleanses the palate after eating. It is also a great aide in someone’s metabolism.
- Mongolian White Meat Noodles is a very healthy partner because it is made with gluten-free ingredients. This is an excellent pair for those who are on a strict diet. In this world full of delicious and tempting food, a person on a diet should not be deprived of eating something delectable. This is the most fantastic alternative for that.
- Wines – Want to make this melon the luxury side? Pair it up with Zinfandel or Grenache. Zinfandel has a candied flavor, including blueberry, licorice, cranberries, and plums. Also, it has a tobacco aftertaste. At the same time, the Grenache has a light fruity taste of strawberry and raspberry. It also has a subtle, white pepper taste perfect for the red meat flavor.
Mongolian Beef is a hearty meal, easy to cook, and is packed with nutrients. As we have shared with you many ways to serve this dish on your table, we hope that your try-outs will be as successful as it can be.
Nowadays, it is a real blessing that we are in a century where there are many food choices. It is remarkable that even though we are divided by continents, our stomachs are united by recipes. Recipes’ continuous innovations help present a foreign dish to a local without fretting too much on the taste.
This article is your map in recreating recipes from across the world. Isn’t it exciting that you will be eating an international recipe served on your table? What excites it up, even more, is that you are creating it by yourself.
As you have already learned, this simple dish is not pricey to put up and so go ahead and execute your version of this recipe and savor its sweetness aroma.
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
Superb Mongolian Beef Recipe
- 1 lb Beef
- 1/4 cup Soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 big Onion cubes
- 1 tsp Ginger
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 6 cups Water
- 1/2 cup Celery slice into 2 inches
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Sauté the garlic, onion, and ginger. Mix well.
- Put the beef, ground black pepper, and soy sauce.
- Mix well then pour in 4 cups of water.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour over medium heat.
- Wait until the beef is tender, add water if necessary.
- Put the sugar and celery.
- Serve hot and enjoy!