Fiestas, Birthdays, New Year, and Christmas are some of the events that most Filipinos are preparing for. Many individuals are excited when it comes to these events. Not only because they can see their family and relatives, but also to taste the various recipes that serve on the dining table. As you know, Filipinos are well known for having a lot of recipes. Each of these cuisines contains a unique and delicious flavor that can attract the appetite of anyone.
Moreover, the Philippines are also famous for having meat in every recipe that they serve. Pork is one of them, aside from chicken and fish. Unlike other countries that forbid eating pork, this country creates numerous recipes that contain meat ingredients. However, some of them also belong to the individuals who don’t eat pork, like Muslims. For them, it is a tradition that needs to follow until death. That is why serving food with it must be reliable.
On the other hand, did you know that aside from Adobo, Sinigang, Afritada, and Sisig, there is another cuisine that we would like to introduce? It contains a saucy flavor and exciting taste that can boost your appetite to the second level. Pork is the primary ingredient in making this recipe with some root crafts that incorporate a salty yet creamy sauce. This course is the Filipino Pork Menudo recipe.
This cuisine is the number 1 menu that many individuals are looking for in many events. The unique and playful taste and flavor can leave an excellent impression on anyone who eats it. That is why it becomes a traditional food in numerous constant get-together. The mixture that it has contains different flavors that complement each other. That is why it is not surprising that it develops a much savory effect that results in an outstanding output.
Furthermore, to give you more about this delightful menu, join us as we give you some incredible data that classifies this meal. Keep on navigating as we introduce to you this delicious cuisine. So, let’s get started!
What Is This Filipino Pork Menudo Recipe
It is a traditional stew of the Filipinos and consists of sliced pork meat and liver. They also put potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, and tomato paste to add more structure and flavor. You can also use fresh tomatoes if it is the only available tomato stuff that you have. Thus, it also has a similar name to the Mexican dish that doesn’t use tripes and red chili mixture.
Moreover, did you know that there is also a different way to prepare this Pork Menudo? Yes, that is right. In some other places, they use sliced pork, liver ( pork or beef), diced potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, green bell pepper, tomatoes, raisins, soy sauce, vinegar, or Calamansi and tomato paste. It is much more than the original combination of this delightful meal. But either of these two can provide an outstanding result.
It is one of the most favorite foods that you serve on your dining table on any occasion. It is more likely, comfort food that can ease your cravings completely. Its sweet and salty flavor can activate your taste buds and keep you from eating more. That is why many people include it also in their Carinderia menus. Carinderia or Karinderya is a mini eatery that serves a different variety of viand like Menudo. This place is famous for the local individuals. Some of them are the workers, commuters, vendors, and other busy people around the area where it stands.
On the other hand, Ginamay is the other term for this delightful Menudo dish. It is from the Cebuanos. It is their version of Menudo that uses smaller cuts in every ingredient that they use. Still, it is the same dish overall, to its components and the taste. That is why you can use either name if you want. Either name has no problem.
Let us jump up to the other side of this delicious recipe. Below is the following section that can provide you extra information about what this recipe can offer and some options to include while preparing this menu. Each of them can help you to make your version correctly. That is why I keep on browsing this article to know more about it.
Ways On How To Cook This Filipino Menudo
There are some available ways that you can consider upon preparing this menu. We gather some of it to give you an option and help you get what suits you the most. Still, all of this method can give you the things that you prefer, especially what method is the most available that you can use among them. It includes the following;
- Using Instant Pot
It is the first on the list that has an excellent reputation in the market. It has a convenient usage that can help you to prepare your food effortlessly. It also has an alarm setting function that can remind you and avoid burning ingredients. In short, it is a convenient boiler that you can have in your kitchen.
In preparing your food, you can put your meat inside, and you can also season it already. Set the time that you need to tenderize your meat. After that, you can now add your potatoes and carrots, and other vegetables. Then, set your time again and wait until it ends. Afterward, you can now enjoy your meal. You can also pair it with steamy rice.
- Using pressure cooker
Unlike other methods, this boiler is more convenient. You can tenderize your meat in a shorter period than the regular boiling process. It collects steam and traps it inside to use in tenderizing your meat. This method is the most famous among restaurant owners. It is more effortless to use it because it doesn’t require a more extended period to soften its ingredients. The range that they usually set is 20 minutes to 1 hr, depending on your ingredient’s amount.
In preparing your meal, you can put your meat inside of it first. After the alarm ends, you can put your vegetables in and set another 5 to 10 minutes. You can also put the seasoning in your meat beforehand, but you can also add it later. Afterward, you can now enjoy the meal that you prepare. However, ensure that you give your attention to it, add the right amount of liquid while boiling the meat to avoid burning and overdoing your ingredients.
- Using Slow cooker
It is another way that many individuals are curious about. This process requires a more extended period, unlike your normal range of boiling meals. It makes your menu more flavorful than the others because it can release your ingredients’ natural relish. It can provide a savory dish that can boost your appetite and relieve your cravings. That is why many people use this technique to create an outstanding menu.
In preparing your meal, put all your meat and bring it to a boil. Set 2 hours to 3 hours or until the pork becomes soft. Then add your veggies and the tomato sauce. Please wait until your alarm ends. Afterward, you can now serve it on your dining table. Take note: Ensure that you put enough liquid because it can evaporate while boiling your ingredients. And also to avoid burning it.
This section includes a list of the possible variations that you can do at your home. Each of these versions has an excellent result that is why many people consider them in their menus. Besides, each of them can give you satisfaction that can ease your cravings. It includes the following;
- Menudo with Cheese
Some Pinoy cuisines include this dairy product to add more savory flavor to their courses, not only for their desserts but also for some meaty dishes they serve on different occasions. Like for example, in this pork stew recipe. Given our star dish’s taste, adding cheese can emphasize the creamy flavor that this meal can offer. The tomato flavor that it contains provides a level up combo that everyone can enjoy.
Its creaminess has a sweet and salty flavor that surprisingly blends with the tomato’s sourness. The contrasting taste of each of these flavors is the key feature that this meal has. That is why many individuals use this ingredient to enhance their Menudo dish. Plus, the sweet taste of it can counter the salty substance that this menu has.
- Menudo with quail egg
The quail egg is one of the tastiest eggs that you can put in your dish. It is a tiny little egg that has a creamy and unique taste. Sometimes, people add it to their veggie courses like Sipo and Chopsuey. You can also have it with coated flour with an orange color; Pinoy Kwek Kwek. You can find it in every street food stall. Aside from that, you can only boil it and eat it straight, with salt or vinegar.
However, this egg is an ingredient to give a different structure and flavor to your Menudo course in this article. Its presence can provide a distinctive and unique taste that can ease your hunger. It has a soft texture that is perfect for the ingredients that you have in this meal. It can also absorb the saltiness and flavor of your dish, so it can also complement other words you have. Even if it has a unique savor, the only problem is that it needs more effort to peel. Because of its tiny appearance, it can be more challenging for those who peel it.
- Menudo with Hotdog
Although hotdogs have a sweet flavor, sometimes other people use them as ingredients to their courses, like Pork Menudo. You can choose between a cheezy and a regular one. Either of these two is perfect for this delightful meal. The sweet savor of this compound can lessen the saltiness of your mixture. It is also an excellent absorber for any sauces that you have. However, ensure that you put enough of this into your dish because it contains a strong flavor that can overpower your sauce.
This section contains some instances that you commonly come across upon preparing food. We listed some of them to give you an idea of what kind of remedies you can perform in those matters. It can serve as your guidelines to make your output more reliable. It includes the following;
- Too bland
There are times that you come up with a bland taste because of your cautiousness about adding seasonings. Some of this factor includes some people who are a beginner. Thus, this problem has a bright side too. Did you know that this problem is the easiest to resolve? Yes, that is right. These instances are more straightforward to fix. Just add some salty seasoning work in it.
The top remedy that you can perform is to put some salt and other liquid seasonings like Patis. It has a concentrate savor that can give an extra salinity to your recipe. That is why including it in your option is an excellent choice. Upon putting it into your mixture, a constant stirring needs to perform. That way, you can balance the taste and the flavor of your sauce. However, ensure that you put the right amount because it can cause another trouble if you add too much.
- Too Salty
Salty flavor is somewhat delicious when it comes to a meal. However, too much of it can ruin that appetite. That is why in this section, we provide a specific remedy that you can perform while adjusting your mixture. We hope that this solution can help you to reduce the amount of salinity content of your course.
In adjusting your mixture, you can use some ingredients that have a high factor of absorption. An excellent example of that is the potato and carrot. These two root crafts are the typical veggies that you can use to lessen your meal’s saltiness. In this case, Our star dish uses this craft already as the sub compound of its recipe, so adding another batch is no problem.
On the other hand, you can also use some liquid compounds like water and some unsalted broth. You can also add some eggs. As you know, eggs are an excellent absorber of taste too. That is why considering it is a great option.
Trivia for this Recipe
This section contains a list of the information about this delightful recipe. We listed some of these details to explain what kind of substances this meal can offer. It also includes the nutrients and benefits that can affect your body in the right way. It consists of the following;
It is the primary ingredient that you can use in this Pork Menudo recipe. It has a unique natural flavor that can ease your cravings and activate your taste buds to keep eating. That is why it’s not surprising that many people use this meat in numerous dishes. Aside from that, it is also rich in different nutrients and benefits. It includes the following;
In 100 grams of pork, you can have the following nutrients:
- Calories: 297
- Water: 53%
- Protein: 25.7 grams
- Carbs: o grams
- Sugar: 0 grams
- Fiber: 0 grams
- Fat: 20.8 grams
In any case, for all the meat that you have, pork is an excellent source of protein. The protein cooked lean meat content is around 26% by fresh weight. And if it is dry, the protein content is as high as 89%. As a result, you can consider it one of the wealthiest dietary sources of protein. It also contains all essential nine amino acids crucial in the body’s growth and maintenance.
Moreover, having this ingredient and other kinds of it can be more beneficial for bodybuilders, recovering athletes, people-post surgery, and other individuals who need to build up and repair muscles.
On the other side, it also has some amounts of fats. Its proportional range of fat is about 10 to 16%, and depending on trimming and other reasons, it can go higher. Yet, there is a cooking fat from the clarified pig fat you can use to prepare your meal. You can call it Lard.
It also has saturated fats and unsaturated fats like the other red meat type with approximately equal amounts. The fatty acid composition is more different from the ruminant animal’s meat like a lamb.
Furthermore, here are some vitamins and minerals content that you can get from it. It includes the following:
- Thiamine - is an essential B vitamin that has an excellent role in some bodily functions. And unlike lamb, it is rich in thiamine.
- Selenium - derived foods like egg, meat, seafood, and dairy products are good sources of this mineral.
- Zinc - is a kind of mineral that has a vital role in brain function and the immune system.
- Vitamin B12 - also has an essential role in brain function and blood formation. Lack of this vitamin can cause anemia and damage to neurons.
- Vitamin B6 - is another vitamin that is essential in the formation of red blood cells.
- Niacin - is also well known as vitamin B3. And has a vital role in growth and metabolism.
- Phosphorus - is a large component of people’s diets. It also has an essential role in growth and maintenance.
- Iron - unlike lamb, it has a smaller amount of iron. Still, the constant absorption of iron from your digestive tract is very systematic. You can consider it as a good source of iron.
It also has other compounds that have a benefit in our body. It includes the following;
- Creatine - is a constant energy source of your muscles. It can improve muscle growth and maintenance, so it is one of the most popular supplements for bodybuilders.
- Taurine - is a nutrient that you can get from fish and meat. It is an antioxidant amino acid that your body has. In dietary intake, it might be beneficial for heart and muscle functions.
- Glutathione - is another antioxidant that you can get from meat. Yet, it can produce in your body also.
- Cholesterol - is a sterol nutrient that you can get from meat and other derived foods like eggs and dairy products. Still, control of cholesterol intake is preferable.
It is an internal organ of the pig that some Filipinos include in their exotic cuisines. It has a medium tanginess flavor that is tolerable. Its bitterness contains an addictive effect that some people appreciate. The savory taste of this kind of innards can provide an outstanding outcome to your courses, so you can consider it an excellent option.
On the other hand, it also has numerous nutrients that can benefit your health. It includes the following;
In 3 ounces of it, you can get the following;
- Calories: 153
- Protein: 23 grams
- Fat: 4000 mg
- Carbohydrates: 4000 mg
- Fiber: Less than 1000 mg
- Sugar: Less than 1 grams
Aside from that, you can also get some vitamins and minerals. It includes the following;
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin C
Here are some of the benefits that you can get from the liver.
- It helps regulate energy production, iron metabolism, and brain function.
- Maintains brain development and liver function
- Supports normal vision, immune function, and reproduction
- It enables the heart and kidney to function correctly.
- Aids in cellular growth and development
- It helps in the formation of red blood cells and DNA.
- It helps carry the oxygen around the body.
Potatoes help decrease the risk of chronic diseases, like heart diseases, diabetes and cancer because it contains antioxidants that can neutralize free radicals that swim inside our body.
Carrots reduce the risks of lung cancer, prostate cancer, colorectal cancer and leukemia. It also regulates blood pressure, controls diabetes, and helps strengthen our immune system.
Onions can give a host of health benefits such as:
- Immune health regulation
- Tissue repair
- Acts as a powerful antioxidant for your body
- Protects your body from free-radicals
- Maintains proper metabolism
- Maintains proper nerve function
- Maintains normal cellular function
- Helps in red blood cells production
Here are the significant nutritional benefits you can get from garlic:
- It can boost the immune system.
- It can help to reduce blood pressure in people with high blood pressure.
- Reduces the risks of cholesterol
- It can protect organs from heavy metal toxicity.
- It contains antioxidants that strengthen the body’s protective mechanisms against oxidative damage.
Tips for this Recipe
This section contains a list of some tips that you can perform while preparing this cuisine. It can help you to make your mixture perfect. It includes the following;
- Clean your meat ingredients and innards properly. Remove some residue that you don't need. Wash it with constant running water, or soak it with water and salt.
- Wash your root crafts carefully. Remove the dirt into the skin. After that, you can chop it directly. You don't need to peel it because the skin of the root crafts is edible. However, ensure that you clean it entirely.
- Cut your ingredients in uniform to make it more attractive.
- Boil your meat first before anything.
- Put your veggies 10 minutes before your meal reaches the limit of preparation. That way, you can avoid overdone veggies.
Best Served With
Pairing our star dish with other recipes can give an outstanding combo that everyone can enjoy. We listed some of these menus to help you choose the most suitable for your taste. To discover these combinations, here is the following;
- Steamed rice - has a specific taste that can balance the saltiness of our star dish. This meal is one of the typical foods that many Filipinos eat with their numerous cuisines. As you know, Asian people love to pair their recipes with steamy rice. That is why we assure you that this combo has outstanding chemistry that might suit your appetite.
- Bread - is another wheat product that contains a simple flavor that compliments any saucy meal. It can complete the taste of our star dish that is why it becomes an excellent combo. The bread can lessen the saltiness of this delightful menu. That is why some people thought that this combo deserves a spot in every menu that you have. You can also make it as your breakfast.
- Leche flan - is a kind of dessert that has a sweet taste. The contrasting flavor of Leche flan and our star dish surprisingly works well. The sweetness of this dessert can counter the saltiness of our star dish. That is why many people consider this as a unique and tasty combo.
We hope that we help you to make the version of this delightful stew recipe. This meal contains a lot of surprising content that might suit your taste. Besides, we also include some tips that you can perform to make your version more excellent. You can also look for the troubleshooting that we provide to help you with some instances that you come across with.
Moreover, we are glad to give you the information about this delicious menu. That way, we can share the savory flavor you can serve at your dining table with you. To know the other side that this meal can offer, you can browse the trivia section that we provide. We assure you that it can help you to understand more about this cuisine.
So, get your spatula and prepare this beautiful recipe. Share it with your family and friends. You can also include it on every occasion that you have. Enjoy eating!
For more delicious recipes, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
Superb Pork Menudo
- ¾ kl Pork leg cubed
- ½ cup Soy sauce
- 5-7 pcs Calamansi juice squeezed
- 2 tablespoon Cooking Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 pc Onion chopped
- 2-3 pcs Dried bay leaves
- 1 cup Water
- 1 pc Carrot cubed
- 4 pcs Hotdogs sliced
- 1 cup Potatoes sliced
- 0.55 lbs Pig liver chopped
- Pepper and Salt to taste
- In a bowl, combine the pork leg, soy sauce and calamansi juice (extracted). Then, marinate for at least 1 hour. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Sauté garlic and onions. Then add the marinated pork. Stir. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the dried bay leaves, tomato sauce, and water. Simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour or until the pork is tender.
- Sprinkle the pepper. You can add salt if needed.
- Put the carrots, hotdogs and potatoes. Stir and cook for 8-12 minutes.
- Then, add the pig liver. Stir. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve while hot. Tip: Best served with a hot cup of rice.