Pork Sisig is one of the most popular sisig variants in the market, but not for those with religious dietary restrictions. Some health-conscious people prefer a lighter version of the Pork Sisig but cannot commit to the vegetable or artificial protein counterpart. So, in this article, we are gladly featuring how to make chicken sisig.
Consequently, numerous food chains have their distinct versions of making the dish. It is one of the top bestsellers whether for fast food or made to order restaurants. Hence, it is undeniable that this delightful dish has made it to the list of Filipino favorites!
Since we are advocates of home cooking, we made sure to give you only the best recipes on how to cook chicken sisig together with essential tips and recommendations that you can apply in your next meal prep!
What is Chicken Sisig
Chicken sisig has become one of the ultimate party foods, especially for adults. Aside from the fact that it is very affordable, it will also not consume a lot of your time and energy, so you can still enjoy the occasion. It is a guiltless combo with beer; hence you will not have to think twice about taking an extra plate of your favorite pulutan.
The dish is usually made with chopped freshly boiled lean chicken breast flavored with spices, citrus, and, most of the time, dressed with mayonnaise. Older people prefer the chicken counterpart more than the original pork sisig because it is less greasy and can be prepared with fewer chilies to fight the umay (Filipino 101: fed-up from the oil feeling) factor.
However, you may have to think twice if you plan on making it and stocking up as a week-long viand as it might not last for days. It is best enjoyed while hot and with merriment.
What are the ingredients that make a delicious Chicken Sisig
Because you’re here, obviously you will or might be planning to prepare this delicious dish. We assume that you will cook it for a large group of people, so we increased the target serving size. Without further ado, here are the basic ingredients for your chicken sisig in-the-making!
- Our main ingredient is a pound of Chicken Breast. You may use other chicken meat; however, the breast part is the best option if you want lean meat. If you are short on time, you may also use ground chicken meat, but only if you’ll have to make it for less than five minutes!
- You will be needing two pieces of large onions and make sure to chop them in small pieces. This will give a strong flavor to the dish.
- Do not forget to have one thumb of ginger. We recommend you grating it instead of dicing so it will be more distributed in the dish. Ginger will provide extra aroma and a refreshing touch.
- Squeeze a bunch of calamansi until you make about ¼ cup of calamansi juice. If calamansi is not available in your local market, using lemon as an alternative will do. This citrus fruit will provide the tangy taste to the dish.
- Prepare two tablespoons of vinegar. This makes an excellent marinade base for the chicken as it contains acetic acid; hence can make the meat more tender and more absorbable to flavors.
- For that spicy kick, cut two pieces of red chilies (siling labuyo) and three pieces of green chilies (siling haba) diagonally.
- For the dressing, prepare ¾ cup mayonnaise. This will give a creamy and lightly savory touch to this dish.
- You will be using 1 ½ cup cooking oil for frying the meat.
- Season with salt and ground pepper to taste.
Variations of Chicken Sisig
We aim to provide you with as many options as possible for making your dream entrée. Hence, we have collated all the existing variants out there, and here’s the top 3 on our list: the chicken sisig with tofu, chicken sisig recipe with mayonnaise, and sizzling chicken sisig.
Chicken Sisig with Tofu
This variant is popular for health-conscious foodies but can’t give up their love of chicken. Thus, adding tofu is a perfect protein match to lighten up your chicken sisig.
The procedure of preparing is just simple and as basic as the usual chicken sisig preparation as both the poultry and the meat alternative is fried at the same time and will be seasoned with the same ingredients. However, if compared to the original chicken sisig, you cannot expect the taste to be exactly the same as if nothing has changed. Tofu has less savory, bland, and “beany” leaving a soya milk taste in your mouth.
Chicken Sisig with Mayonnaise
This variant provides emphasis on the dressing and seasoning that will be heavily used for the dish– Mayonnaise. Chicken sisig with mayonnaise is the most traditional homemade recipe for chicken sisig. There is a perfect blend of creamy touch, citrusy taste and spicy kick in a serving.
The creamy take on the dish is suitable for those who like chicken sisig to be mild and less spicy. Kids will also prefer this version as compared with other varieties. You may also add some grated cheddar cheese while still hot.
Sizzling Chicken Sisig
Just smelling the piping hot sizzling chicken sisig served in your nearby sizzling place even from afar is already salivating! This is the sisig variant best to be served as pulutan, and this also takes part in the chicken sisigsilog portmanteau (chicken sisig, sinangag (fried rice), itlog (egg). I bet this is one of the specials in the sizzling place that you know.
So what’s the thing with this chicken sisig variety? Sizzling chicken sisig is composed of two parts: the sisig base mixture and the gravy (where would you think all those sizzles come from?).
Kitchen glitches are inevitable. To prevent you from being disheartened in preparing a delectable chicken sisig due to some kitchen mishaps, here’s some kitchen troubleshooting guide that you can follow.
Problem #1: What can you do when it becomes too salty?
- Squeeze some more calamansi juice (or lemon juice if not available). The acid of the juice will cover up the saltiness of the dish.
- You may sprinkle some sugar. Glucose will level the excess sodium content.
- Add a raw egg so you will have an additional mixture that can use up the excess salt.
Problem #2: How can you prevent it from being too spicy?
- The heat from the chili comes from its active component Capsaicin.
- This compound is mostly found in the white center. So you better scrape that out before adding them to the dish.
- However, if you have high spicy tolerance, just leave it as it is.
To push you more into cooking the best chicken sisig, let us share with you some nutritional content from the primary ingredients of this Pinoy specialty!
- Chicken Breast – This lean chicken cut is a good source of protein and low in calories, so it can help you attain better body composition. You can also get vitamin B, vitamin D, calcium, iron, and zinc.
- Calamansi Juice – Also known as the Philippine lime, calamansi is extremely rich in vitamin C and antioxidants. Thus, it can boost your immune system, lower cholesterol, and manage blood sugar levels. It can even contribute to a youthful glow as it promotes collagen production.
- Chili Peppers – Chilies can help improve digestive health, increase your metabolism, reduce your risk of cancer, relieves inflammation, and even improve your eyesight. What’s more, it can help you live a long life as it improves longevity.
- Mayonnaise – This wonder dressing is rich in vitamin E that it can prevent strokes. It is also rich in Omega 3, so it is good for the heart.
- Chicken Sisig – The local sisig has high vitamin A content that can protect you from infections and can promote growth and development.
We will not leave you empty-handed with some tips. So here is just some final advice that we would like to share with you.
- Since chicken sisig is usually made with chicken breast hence low in calories, most of its calorie content comes from the dressing. Thus, if you are keen on maintaining your calorie deficit, you may want to lessen your mayo. You may also switch to using a low-fat version or mustard for a healthier option.
- You can make it as an after-party viand. You can transform your leftover chicken Lechon (rotisserie chicken), cordon bleu, and even fried chicken into chicken sisig. Just make sure to reheat it properly so it won’t spoil quickly.
- Use white onion instead of the purple ones because it is much sweeter and less bitter (wow, they rhyme!).
Best Served With
- Bulalo – Cook by long boiling of beef bone marrow, beef shanks, corn, potatoes, and cabbages to create a heartwarming soup. Bulalo is one of the best meat-based soups in the Philippines. It is best paired with chicken sisig as a viand with a bowl of hot steamed rice. What a great meal pairing for rainy days!
- Crispy Tawilis – It is made by coating tawilis (freshwater sardine) in a batter made of cornstarch and water then deep-fried. The salty seafood taste of this fried dish, as well as the hard crunch, complements well with the savory and spicy chicken sisig. Both can best serve either as a viand or as a pulutan (beer snack or appetizer)
- Relyenong Bangus – This unique Filipino dish is made by deboning an entire milkfish and filling it again with its meat, diced carrots, potatoes, and seasonings with its skin still intact. It is deep-fried and cut like a meatloaf. It can be best served with chicken sisig, especially during fiestas, where it has an automatic slot in the feast list.
- Pancit Guisado – Pancit guisado takes many forms depending on the noodle that you will use. You can use egg noodle, Miki, or bihon (rice flour noodle), then you saute it with garlic, onion, carrots, Baguio beans, cabbage, pork, fishball and season with soy sauce. Its tandem with our star dish will make excellent party food. At least you won’t have a hard time thinking about what to prepare for an adult birthday party (we assume you’re already done with spaghetti and fried chicken for party favorites).
- Lechon Kawali – Filipinos adore pork, and while Lechon might be familiar with you, Lechon kawali is just one of its variants. This dish is made by deep-frying pork belly until it is crunchy and golden brown. Make sure to order this side dish with chicken sisig when you are stuck with other options. Believe us, and you’ll get what we mean.
- Soft drinks – There’s no other beverage that can best quench your thirst brought by the savory chicken sisig other than soft drinks! The carbonated bubbles and sweet taste will instantly refresh you after munching on the spicy and salty dish.
- Dynamite sticks – These rolls are made up of cheddar cheese-filled green chilies wrapped in lumpia wrapper (rice wrappers will also do) and then deep-fried. Dynamite sticks can best be served as an appetizer as it will prepare your tastebuds with the spicy kick that you will experience more when you have sisig as your main course.
- Potato wedges – The crispy potato wedges together with the sisig is an ideal pika-pika (cocktail snacks) when you catch up with your friends!
Chicken sisig is a reliable all-around dish as you can serve it on special occasions, have it for packed meals, or simply as a viand. Given the versatility of the ingredients that can be used, you can easily make one at home whenever you crave it. You better stock up on the basic ingredients so you can have it right in your fridge anytime you feel like making some!
We hope that we have provided you with everything you need to create the best chicken sisig. So get up now, head straight to your kitchen, and apply what you have learned on how to make chicken sisig!
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
Best Chicken Sisig Recipe
- 1 lb Chicken finely chopped
- 2 pcs Onion chopped
- 1 thumb Ginger diced
- 1/4 cup Calamansi extract
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- 2 pcs Red chilies
- 3 pcs Green chilies
- 1 1/2 cup Cooking oil
- 3/4 cup Mayonnaise
- Rub chicken with salt and calamansi extract. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a cooking pan.
- Once the oil is hot enough, fry the chicken until brown. Then remove from the pan and wait until it cools down.
- Then chop the chicken meat into small cubes.
- Transfer the chopped meat into a bowl and combine with onion, ginger, green and red chilies.
- Season with salt, pepper, vinegar and calamansi extract. Stir well for 5 minutes.
- Pour-in mayonnaise and mix gently.
- Transfer into a serving plate. Share and enjoy!