One of the stars in an overjoyed beer-drinking party or socializing is the famous Pork Dinakdakan of the Ilocanos. It is very appetizing and enticing food that can stimulate you to question how to make Pork Dinakdakan? For this reason, this article will let you indulge in finding out how to cook pork dinakdakan.
Furthermore, this heartthrob pork dinakdakan from the north has also been a big hit on various occasions like town fiestas, birthday parties, and other social events. Traditionally, it is a couple of roles when served. Sometimes it is served as an excellent pulutan or finger-food matched with beer and other alcoholic drinks. (Although, Filipinos don’t use their fingers alone to eat this because it’s grossly disgusting.)
Meanwhile, there are times when pork dinakdakan is served as a main course served together with other classic dishes such as sisig, papaitan, and related menu. It is so famous that it is also served in local food eateries (karinderya) where common people can delight with this and fill their hungry stomachs.
Along that line, maybe this exquisite local dish is what you are searching for as something new. It is a must-try for anyone to experience and enjoy. So, read on, as you take an excellent glance at the important things you need to know about pork dinakdakan.
What is Best Pork Dinakdakan Recipe
Pork Dinakdakan is a 100% Filipino dish authentically bloomed from the Ilocos Region of the Philippines, which is located at the foremost part of Luzon Island. Over time, it has become widespread all over the entire archipelago, making it a consistent menu of the day in most restaurants. And as we have mentioned, it is usually served as an appetizer or finger-food during drinking parties, and as the main course in festivities and huge social events.
Nominally, dinakdakan knowing as a pork menu, but a chicken variant has already emerged, so to be particular, we referred to it here as pork dinakdakan. As accustomed, it consists of different parts of a pig, including the brain, face, ears, tongue, and other internal organs like the liver and intestines. On its face, you may presume that this food is quite an exotic one due to the parts of the animal cooked using traditional methods.
But, of course, nothing bars you from doing your fun experiments by choosing other parts you like. Other than the pig’s head parts and internal organs, you may also try the chicken’s body parts employing the same traditional procedures. Despite this uniqueness, it remains a well-loved dish and appreciated by many due to its mouth-watering taste.
Ironically, this famous pork dinakdakan is a variety in itself concerning its ingredients. Aside from that, you might be surprised to know that there are other exciting versions you can choose. Sometimes it resonates with other dishes similar to this food.
For instance, the experience of eating pork dinakdakan gives an inkling to the sisig of Pampanga (a province in the central part of Luzon Island). So, if you’re a huge fan of sisig, then surely you’ll love this as well. The resemblance of the two is uncanny, and it’s by tasting them would hint the difference.
Commonly, pork dinakdakan and sisig use almost the same pig parts, but you may deviate by using liempo (pork belly). When preparing, wash them thoroughly so that the freshness remains, prevents stench odor, and is safe for your tummy. However, overeating might put your health at risk. So, just eat this in moderation.
And in terms of budget, don’t mind so much because pork dinakdakan is affordable. You can even add some special sauce such as mayonnaise or vinegar and mix it with other spices to make it even more colorful and palatable. You may also have it cooked either by frying or grilling. Nevertheless, any goes with this cuisine.
Troubleshooting Your Recipes
The exquisite image of pork dinakdakan can sometimes conflict with the simplicity of cooking methods. Mistakes are inevitable, and so here are some of the adjustments that you might find helpful when you encounter mishaps.
- If your finished product happened to be a little too salty, you could add calamansi (lime or lemon), chili, or mayonnaise to adjust and balance the taste of the dish.
- When you miscalculated the adding of some condiments, you may repair it by redoing it but in a more gradual manner until you reach the desired taste.
Trivia: Benefits of Dinakdakan Ingredients
- To emphasize what we have discussed about pork dinakdakan ingredients, do not only make your food delicious. Concurrently, it also contains some essential health benefits. Furtherly, we get across some of these things, so we are packed with information regarding what our body can gain.
- Pork meat is a primary source of abundant protein that is responsible for repairing our muscles. Supplementally, it also contains some powerhouse of vitamins and minerals, that gives our body optimal health conditions.
- For more details, we use the pig’s brain as a part of the dressing mixed with vinegar that you need to boil before cooking until it turns white. Seemingly, the gross part is a popular ingredient in other Asian countries, which is popularly known as a superfood. True its superb title, it contains a significant amount of vitamins, alongside minerals. Indeed, a superfood.
- Furthermore, vinegar is also added in the mixture of the dressing together with ginger, onion, chili, salt, and pepper. This condiment is a culinary staple that is applicable in various dishes. Interestingly, aside from providing an extra taste, it also gives antimicrobial properties which are useful in regulating blood sugar, managing weight, and reducing cholesterol.
- Mayonnaise can be an alternative for vinegar in making your Dinakdakan dressing. It also brings up exciting flavors similar to what vinegar can do. In other words, the famous salad adorning can also be a perfect match for our Ilocano dish.
- Regarding the health benefits, mayonnaise can also provide essential nutrients such as healthy fats, like omega-3, which is good for the heart. Also, it contains vitamins E and K, which helps enhance your skin and prevent strokes. Other minerals, such as potassium and sodium, can also be found in mayonnaise.
- And lastly, the lemon juice, which we may add on our dressing, is also packed with vitamins and minerals. The savory citrus provider is a prime source of vitamin C and folate, which helps in boosting your immune system. Likewise, this fruit has antioxidants and phytonutrients that improves your digestion.
Tips in Preparing Pork Recipes
More than ever, there will always be a wide range of techniques you can do, and ingredients you can add if you want your pork dinakdakan to be perfect by the time you serve this dish in a meal. So here are some easy tips that can add magic and yield impressive results.
- In preparing your dressing that gives life to your pork dinakdakan, you can add onion powder to strengthen the flavor and thicken the texture of the mixture.
- Make sure to use a wire whisk for a more excellent texture outcome.
- Always remember to watch your meat closely while you are frying or grilling. Leaving it even in a short while might cause your meat to burn unintentionally, causing it to taste unpleasant. But don’t be the kid who flips and turns it every minute because it might be undercooked or some parts will leave it cooked and some not.
- Preparing ingredients ahead of time such as chopping garlic, onions, red and green chilies will leave you no disturbance when cooking. It will also make your cooking timeless shorter instead of doing it when you start the dish.
- Make sure to make use of all your ingredients and check first in your kitchen if you have some of the ingredients you will be needing. With this, you will be able to save money by just buying all that you need to be able to prepare this yummy recipe.
- Finally, as mentioned in the health benefits, don’t forget to mix some vinegar to neutralize the high cholesterol component of this food.
Ideally Served With:
As a superstar dish, it makes perfect sense that pork dinakdakan can go along with other food partners. As previously stated, it is usually served as an appetizer and partnered with a hot bowl of rice. In addition to these, here are some dishes were Dinakdakan is best paired with:
Filipino Sinigang soup Recipe
Soup will always be perfect for any meal for most of us, especially if it is Sinigang. Plus, the sourness of this broth creates more in balance with the oily texture of this recipe. That’s why, indeed, pork dinakdakan will complement the soup.
Experience Brain Freeze with Beer or Soft Drinks
Traditionally, this pork dinakdakan has earned its reputation as a pulutan; that’s why an ice-cold beer or soft drink is the right partner. Of course, what’s more, enticing are the funny stories and entertaining gossip coupled with boisterous laughter to bring.
To-Die-For Calamares Recipe
More than that, a mixture of exotic meat can balance well with the delicious plates of seafood. An excellent candidate for this is calamari or known as fried squid. Similarly, as pork dinakdakan, calamares can be re-created and enhanced by dipping it into mayonnaise or vinegar. So you hit two birds in one stone by enjoying the two dishes in one dip.
A spoonful of Tokwa’t Baboy Recipe
Of course, being an appetizer too, Tokwa’t Baboy will compliment the taste of dinakdakan. The tokwa (tofu) serves as its main ingredient has a mild taste that makes it perfect for soaking up the flavor in various dishes such as pork dinakdakan.
Good Pepper Chicken Recipe
The meat lovers club will never detest the presence of pork dinakdakan and pepper chicken. The combination of pork pieces and chicken recipes can always make them ecstatic.
To conclude, the authenticity of dinakdakan makes it unique, delicious, and one of a kind. The ingredients are easy to get, but the methods are quite far from basic. But, given the valuable information, you should try cooking this at home.
Indeed, there’s no reason not to try this fantastic dish after learning from this article. Yes, you can master the ways on how to cook pork dinakdakan. We’re confident that this is something to show-off to your family and friends to make them proud. So, throw your worries and hesitations, get ready to make this dish, and let the party begin.
Happy cooking! Happy eating!
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
Superb Pork Dinakdakan Recipe
- 1 lb Pork liempo
- 1 lb Pork liver fried
- 1/4 tsp Ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 pc Onion large, julienned
- 1 pc Green chili cut into circles
- 2 pcs Red chilies cut into circles
- 5 cups Water
- 1/4 cup Vinegar
- 3/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Ginger diced
- 1/2 tsp Peppercorn
- In a large pot, boil pork liempo with enough water to submerge the pork. Put-in salt and peppercorn then wait until the pork tenders.
- Once the meat is tender, place it in a container and let it cool in a room temperature. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Fry the pork liempo until golden brown on both sides. Remove from the pan then let it cool. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients like mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, and black pepper. Stir to mix it well. Set aside.
- Once the liempo cools down, cut into your desired sizes. Then put-in the mixing bowl with the mayonnaise mixture.
- Add the fried pork liver, onion, ginger, red and green chilies. Mix well to blend all the ingredients.
- Ready to serve!