Best Calamares Recipe
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 1 lb Squid (medium to large size) cleaned and sliced into rings
- 1 cup Flour
- 2 cups Cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp Ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Calamansi juice
Preparing the squid
- Slice squid in half just below the eyes, separating the tentacles from the head; reserve tentacles.
- Holding the body, gently pull out the head, intestines, ink sac, and clear skeleton; discard innards.
- Working from the cut end of the body, grasp the thin skin. Peel back toward the tip and discard.
- Rinse squid body and tentacles before cooking. Slice body crosswise into rings.
Marinating, coating and frying the squid
- In a bowl, combine squid, salt, pepper and calamansi extract. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Dredge the squid in flour then dip in beaten egg and roll over breadcrumbs.
- Once the oil is hot, deep fry the squid until the coat turns brown. Note: Do not overcook the squid.
- Then, remove the squid from the pan and place on a plate over paper tissue.
- Serve with your favorite dip. Eat and enjoy!
Calories: 114kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 146mg | Potassium: 33mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 1mg