Serving big-time classic dishes could be both exciting and risky. You’re lucky to pull it off on your first try, but it could also be traumatic when you fail. Therefore, it’s a must that you try something big time by learning how to cook the Best Pata Tim, a risky yet satisfying dish.
Preparing something like this Chinese-inspired pork menu is quite complicated. There are lots of processes involved and many ways to do it. Thus, you might become confused and eventually mix up everything if you’re not used to doing kitchen work.
On that note, you might be fortunate because we may be of help to you. We have researched and gathered some essential things you need to know about making this famous recipe. Hence, these might help reduce the risks of failing and make your preparation more pleasurable.
To understand the procedure that you might need. Keep on navigating and join us as we give you the required information in preparing this delightful meal. Let us move forward and check on the possible details that can be valuable upon preparing this meal.
What is Pata Tim
Pata Tim recipe refers to the famous pork hock recipes that resemble the greasy, crispy pasta, except that it’s not crispy. Plus, it’s dressed with a sweet and salty sauce. Certainly, this dish finds similarity with humba.
Originally, the Chinese red braised pork is the inspiration for these lovely pork recipes. The recipe comprises meat marinated with Chinese rice wine, soy sauce, star anise, sugar, pork broth, cornstarch, and other condiments and spices. The same ingredients comprise its dressing, with broccoli or bok choy mixed into the recipes.
Such a classic perfection has become popular in the Philippines, beginning from Binondo, Manila, the oldest Chinatown in the world. At present, there are many innovations from the original recipe. Nonetheless, these variations could be interesting and mouth-watering to prepare.
Ways to Cook The Best Pata Tim Recipes
It appears that this dish is very adjustable. Hence, you may do it in any way possible as long as you ensure that the flavors have sunk in, and the meat is comfortably soft to eat.
Take a great glance at each of the following methods.
Making this food through an instant pot could make your kitchen more comfortable than the ordinary day-to-day kitchen stuff. However, the process might be different because the instant pot is your primary kitchenware. Thus, you have to prepare everything to run this trend of making it smoothly correctly.
Additionally, it is better when the meat has already been marinated for a day or two before making itself. Alongside, prepare the sauce since it uses similar ingredients to the marinade. By doing these things in advance could make your process less complicated.
Excitingly, let the instant pot do its wonders when the day of the preparation comes. The equipment can do several functions like saute, pressure cook, slow cook, etc. It’s like making with your regular pan and stove that produces quality home meals, minus the arm-tiring stirring.
Recipes in a slow cooker could be your most acceptable option if you want to maintain a high-quality outcome. This procedure begins with the meat’s boiling, infusing the marinade mixture, and the actual process. Although employing this method takes a lot of time and patience.
Fortunately, an instant pot also has a slow cook function where you can make your favorite dish. So, expect a supremely tenderized meat that pulls down from the bones and melts in your mouth when you eat it.
The flavor that comes from the bones and meat of your ingredients can provide an extra taste to your dish. Plus, the slow process can give a concentrated flavor that compliments every meal you link into our star dish.
If you don’t have an instant pot, a regular pressure cooker could also do the job for your mouth-watering recipes. Prepare the same ingredients, tenderize the meat by boiling before marinating, and add the veggies at the final stages.
Put an exact amount of water to boil your meat. As you know, there is a tendency to dry it out upon tenderizing your meat ingredients. You can also put vegetable stock and beef broth to add more flavor.
As you know, the pressure inside your boiler can make it into your meat. And that is when the flavor that comes from the broth gets stored in each layer of your ingredient. After the preparing process, when the pressure releases, the taste is left inside your dish.
However, a regular pressure cooker does not have an automatic regulator to set the right time and adequate temperature. That means you need to monitor from time to time the progress of your preparation. Of course, you don’t like to mess up the dish by undercooking it.
Other Delightful Variations
As briefly introduced, the recipes have evolved drastically from how it has been to the present. Many variants have emerged, and each of these variations is essential to know so that you might fix it and learn another variant if you made a mistake.
First of all, let us explore the classic Chinese style recipe. This dish is the version that originated from Binondo, Manila, which became famous. It has become the standard for all variations.
The recipe begins by boiling the meat before marinating it. This procedure washes away any dirt and stench odor. Besides, the Chinese believe that clean meat absorbs seasoning well.
Furthermore, once the meat is fresh and clean, you place it inside a deep casserole where you put in all the ingredients for marinating (including the oyster sauce and rice wine) and place it over a low fire for hours. By this process, the flavor sinks in and simultaneously tenderize to dry the meat.
The bottom line, this version has characterized a recipe with well-tenderized soft meat, proper mix and match of seasoning flavors, attractive-looking plating, and soothing aroma. In other words, it is perfectly balanced. Hence, balance is the entire theme of any Chinese culinary masterpiece.
Filipinos are known for collecting foreign ideas and inspiration to create a new variation. Concerning this, the Kapampangan style is clear evidence of such Pinoy characteristics.
In particular, this version follows almost everything in the Chinese trend except that the local adaptation is fruity and much sweeter. The Kapampangan added pineapple juice and sprite in the marinade. Plus, the pineapple chunks are included alongside bok choy as toppings.
Generally speaking, the Filipino culinary adaptation blends sweet and sour, having the former as the more dominant taste.
With Banana Blossom
Putting Banana Blossom with bok choy is another exciting variation of this mouth-watering recipe. It adds a bit of sour flavor, which suitably blends with the typically sweet Filipino trend. Hence, this is one of the most wanted versions.
Health wise, there are lots of benefits banana blossoms can provide. This ingredient is a good source of antioxidants, and anti-microbial properties help digestion, regulate the menstrual cycle, and improve sleep. Well, that’s healthy for a food that is expected to have high cholesterol content.
Pata With Tomato Sauce
If you wish to cook our featured braised pork recipe more exceptional, try it with tomato. Magically, the formula turns akin to a Caldereta or Afritada, without carrots and potatoes. Expect the burst of flavor as the sourness of tomato mixes with the sweet and salty blend of the marinade.
Aside from that, this recipe is also healthy, thanks to the tomatoes and tomato flavoring. Lycopene and coenzyme Q10 are the known nutritional contents of tomatoes. Such nutrients are suitable for heart and cardiovascular health.
Are you wondering how our featured recipes have obtained their peculiar name? The name Patatim is the shortened version of “Pata Tim,” or black pork leg. Hence, this nomenclature was derived from its appearance of a pork leg knuckle dressed with an almost black-colored flavoring.
Moreover, aside from its delightful taste, it also contains so many nutrients that your body needs the most. Each of these nutrients can strengthen your health to fight a particular disease. We list below some of the nutrients that you might not know. It includes the following;
Pork knuckle is an excellent source of protein. Even though it consists of bones, skin, and tiny layers of fats, it contains a significant amount of protein. Collagen is the kind of protein that you can get from the pork knuckle.
Collagen is responsible for your skin elasticity and healthy joints. This protein is within your bones, muscles, and blood. It compromises three-quarters of your skin and a third of the protein of your body.
Based on a study, as a person ages, the existing collagen in your body breaks down. Your body is starting to reduce collagen production, and it becomes harder and harder as you grow. Therefore, some manufacturers make a great product that can help your body incredibly.
That product is the collagen supplement. It has a powdery texture. Thus, some are capsule and liquid. On the other hand, our body can produce natural collagen by taking amino acids.
Amino acid is the building block of the protein in the food. In achieving those nutrients, your body needs the following;
You can get it most from the egg white, dairy, cabbage, asparagus, and mushrooms.
It is found chiefly in pork skin, gelatin, chicken skin, and in a variety of other protein-rich foods.
- Vitamin C
Citrus fruits and bell pepper are good sources of this nutrient.
You can get this nutrient from organ meats, cashews, sesame seeds, lentils, and cocoa powder.
This nutrient is from beef, pork, lamb, lentils, beans, chickpeas, milk, cheese, and some nuts and seeds.
In fourteen grams of collagen peptide contains the following;
- Calories: 50
- Protein: 12 grams
- Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 0 grams
- Fiber: 0 grams
- Sugar: 0 grams
The exact amount of collagen peptide also has 29 milligrams of calcium, 44.9 milligrams of sodium, and 0.98 milligrams of potassium.
The benefit of Collagen Supplement
It is an essential nutrient to maintain our good health. Some studies may help keep hydrated skin and relieve osteoarthritis pain. Thus some research needs more understanding of less well-understood benefits like lowering blood pressure and blood sugar.
Some benefits are strengthening the bones, skin elasticity and hydration, thicker hair, healthier nails, and increased muscle mass.
Troubleshooting on Cooking this Pata Recipe
Indeed, making Patatim is no joke. Many things might fall short when you don’t have enough experience yet to make this dish. When you happen to encounter one, try these suggestions below.
- Add liquid to the flavorings if the taste becomes too overwhelming.
- Increase the amount of soy or oyster sauce when it turns out bland.
- Extend boiling hours when the meat is still rubbery.
- Add more cornstarch or grind crackers to thicken the sauce when it becomes runny.
Tips to Cook
To produce a more quality outcome for this delightful meal, make sure to observe the tips below. We hope you could minimize some errors and increase your chance of success.
- Lessen the use of frozen meat. The freshest ingredients, the better.
- Select the meat from a younger hog. The flesh of older and more mature hogs is more rubbery and more challenging to tenderize.
- Boil the meat for more or less 10 minutes to wash away some dirt before marinating.
- Do not over fry the meat. The crispier the hock becomes, the more complex the flavor to sink through the ingredient.
- Adjusting your seasoning also has a crucial role. You need to include an exact amount of each of the herbs to avoid some trouble coming across.
- Following the instructions of your recipe ingredient or taste it every time you add seasoning.
- You can also use vegetable stock, beef stock, and other broth upon boiling your meat. That way, it can elevate the additional flavor that this liquid seasoning and your primary ingredient can provide.
Excellent Served With
As lovely as this dish, other dishes may add enjoyment and pleasure with our featured recipes.
- Hot-steamed rice – nothing beats the Pinoy staple meal as a partner with the braised pork. The plain taste of the steamed rice can complement the flavor of this dish.
- Pancit Guisado – sauteed noodles are also fantastic to be paired with our featured recipe. You can also include this dish when you stir fry the Pancit Guisado. The saltiness of this meat dish can provide an extra flavor to your Pancit Guisado.
- Ginisang Repolyo (sauteed cabbage) – vegetable recipes such as the cabbage are a great equalizer to the menu’s high cholesterol component. It can balance the delightful taste of our star dish and provide an excellent fusion flavor.
- Chopsuey – of course, the classic Filipino mixed veggies of all time. Chopsuey should not be left out when you dine with Pata dish.
- Fish Fillet – a complete full course meal with majestic recipes, always including something crunchy and fishy. These two meals have different flavors. Thus, they produce an elevated taste that complements each other.
- Escabeche Tilapia – sweet and sour fish deserves a spot with our feature recipes. The burst of flavor is mouth-watering.
- Korean Fried Chicken – if you’re going to have a full Asian cuisine with Pata Tim, this Korean chicken recipe must be on the recipes. Indeed, a dining table becomes a feast.
- Mango Graham Cake – having too much greasy meal can be lazy. Therefore, it is perfect to cap the meal with something sweet like the fruity graham cake. The sweetness of this dessert can eliminate the leftover taste of our star dish.
- Pineapple Juice – indeed, a glass of ice-cold pineapple juice must be present when munching cholesterol-laden menus like this featured recipe. It can also wash away the salty and the grease of this course.
Truly, Pata Tim is one heck of a recipe for big-time events and simple family feasts. However, it takes so much of your time and effort to perfect the main course’s preparation. Nevertheless, with this information, you might be able to pull this off right.
This delightful recipe can give you excellent service at your dining table whenever you have an occasion. As you know, most Filipinos love to present and serve more delicious meals and offer them to their family and friends. This menu is an excellent dish that you must include in your list.
The fusion of this course with the other meal can provide a second level of flavor. Trying this at home is an excellent consideration if you want something new. Plus, the nutrients inside the ingredients you use in this dish can significantly result in your body.
Don’t be afraid to try exploring this Chinese-inspired braised pork despite the challenging procedures to follow. With constant practice, you may be able to improve and make something satisfying. Go, and cook Pata Tim.
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
Best Pata Tim Recipe
- 1 pc Pig's leg or pata
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp Sesame oil
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Sherry wine
- 2 pcs Star Anise
- 6 cups Water
- 4 pcs Dry mushroom
- 1/2 tsp Peppercorn
- 1 lb Bok choy
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Cooking oil
- Wash the pig's leg or pata and rub the whole leg with salt. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot. And fry the pata until it gets light brown.
- In another casserole, pour water then add the fried pata. Pour-in soy sauce, sesame oil, wine and star anise. Season it with peppercorn and cook for 10 minutes or until it boils.
- When the sauce is a bit dry, add the mushroom and cook for another 5 minutes over low medium heat.
- Then add-in the pechay or bok choy. Simmer for 3-5 minutes while stirring.`
- Transfer into a serving plate and eat while hot! Enjoy.