Are you an omelet and fritters lover? If so, then how to cook this recipe is perfect for you.
This article would feature the timeless Filipino seafood dish that you would love to explore and experiment with within your kitchen. The main protein of this dish is the alamang.
We would provide you with all the details, ways to cook, preparation, ingredients, and variations of the featured dish.
So, keep reading and stay tuned in this article for you to enjoy your cooking with tiny seafood and eggs.
What is Tortang Alamang
It is a famous dish in the Philippines, served as a side dish in many cuisines and as an appetizer. It is not the usual type of omelet that you could see in many kitchens nowadays.
It is a combination of dried or fresh alamang with a mixture of cornstarch, all-purpose flour, or vegetables root crops such as squash, sweet potato, mung beans sprout, and many more.
This dish has to saute first the seafood with tomatoes and onions, whether you use dried or tiny fresh of it before mixing and blending it with the egg mixture.
It is easy to make and simple dish that everybody would love when you serve it with condiments like soy sauce, vinegar, etc. It is also perfect for serving beer and other beverages because of its delicate flavor and wonderful taste.
Ways to Cook for Shrimp Recipes
Cooking is easy, especially since there are tons of ways to cook a certain dish. Here are some of the methods you could use in cooking this menu.
Instant pot cooking is the most common cooking method many people use nowadays. It is the easiest and most convenient way to cook a certain dish like our menu that you could serve right away.
This way of cooking allows you to use a multi-cooker where all you have to do is put oil in it, set the amount of heat and the time for frying this dish, and then serve it after you cook it in the multi-cooker.
Skillet is cooking that makes a healthy and quick meal to serve with your family and friends. You have to use a non-stick pan. It's either cast-iron, stainless steel, electric skillet, or Teflon. You could do stir-frying, sauteing, braising, and pan-broiling to it.
When you are cooking any dish, especially our menu, this cooking method is a great option to cook. It allows you to cook the dish perfectly without burning it. You could have a mouth-watering dish to serve with your guest and family in just a few minutes.
Other Delicious Variants
Our menu has many variations you could experiment with within your kitchen. So, here are some of the variations that you would love to explore and discover to create an incredible version of our menu.
Spicy Tortang Alamang Recipe
Our menu's classic recipes level up to something hot and spicy by adding chilies or chili powder on the tiny seafood fritters' mixture in this variation. Of course, you have to prepare the seafood, mix it with egg, all-purpose flour, and cornstarch mixture to make our menu.
Along with the mixture of the seafood, you could add the chilies. You could also sprinkle the chili powder or the chili peppers at the top of it.
This version of seafood fritters or omelet, ingredients, and cooking mechanics are all the same as the traditional Ukoy. Instead of using anchovy, the main difference is that you would use tiny seafood as the main ingredient of the featured dish.
All the tiny seafood heads and shells are included in the mixture and then fried in a pan for three to five minutes.
If you are a cheese lover and want almost all of your recipes to contain cheese, then here is another variant of the dish: tiny seafood cakes with cheese.
It is a version that makes the dish cheesier by adding parmesan cheese to the prepared mixture. The preparation method of the main and other ingredients are all the same. Even the cooking style used to make this dish is similar to the traditional way.
With Calabaza squash and mung bean sprouts
It is another variant that the tiny seafood mixed with Calabaza squash and mung bean sprouts. It adds bright colors for appearance and sweet flavors from the vegetables combined with the main ingredient to make the featured dish stand out.
Calabaza squash could apply in a variety of ways, such as cakes, candies, and stew. You could also apply it along with Mung bean sprouts to a dish like our menu because both ingredients have a sweet taste and smooth texture.
With Sweet Potato
Last on the list of variations in our menu is this with Sweet Potato. In this version, instead of using all-purpose flour or cornstarch to the mixture, you could use sweet potato in the dish. It gives more flavor and sweet taste than the bland flour or cornstarch. You have to season it with salt and pepper to add a more delicate and bold flavor.
Trivia about this recipe
Shrimp is one of the most commonly consumed seafood in the world. It has great packs of nutrients such as iodine, which not all foods have.
It is a seafood that contains 84 calories in 85 grams of serving. It also has 18 grams of proteins, 15% of iron of RDI, vitamin B12, which 21% of the RDI, Selenium, 48 percent of RDI, 12% of Phosphorus, 11% of Niacin, 9% of zinc, and Magnesium 7 percent in 85 grams of serving.
It is also a great source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which may give various health benefits.
Tips for cooking these recipes
Understanding the protein, you are using when cooking is important. So, we give you tips that would help you a lot in preparing and cooking this dish.
- Check all your ingredients and the appliance you would use in cooking the dish.
- Wash the tiny seafood properly.
- Prepare the mixture, then the beaten eggs.
- Set the pan in the right amount of heat and put the right amount of oil in it.
- Taste all the mixture to avoid errors.
Errors in cooking are difficult to avoid when cooking in a sensitive protein like tiny seafood. So, here is some advice so you could not compromise the dish and its taste.
- If you accidentally put a lot of salt in the main ingredient when you prepare it, you could add it with water then dry it with cheesecloth.
- In contrast, when you do not put the right amount of salt in it, you could make a sauce to complement the dish.
- Avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Make sure that you don't overcook the dish to avoid the dish becoming mushy and hard.
Best Serve With
Shrimps recipes like the featured dish are perfect for serving as an appetizer and side dish. Therefore, we provide you with some of the cuisines that perfectly fit the seafood Omelet's savory palate.
- Hot-steamed rice- is a very common food to pair up with our dish.
- Vinegar with Garlic - is the perfect sauce for the dish.
- Toyo and Calamansi- is a sauce that is perfect with the featured tortang dish.
- Ketchup - is another sauce to serve with a tortang recipe. It has the sweetness and spiciness that complement the savory flavor of the dish.
- Laing fried rice is a perfect rice recipe to pair up with the featured dish, which complements the dish very well.
- Ginataang Bitsuelas- is a green beans dish cooked in coconut milk, which complements the savory salt taste of our menu.
- Creamy Mixed Vegetables - is a vegetable dish with a creamy sauce that helps to stand out the salt and savory flavor of the featured dish.
- Ginataang Puso ng Saging is another coconut milk-based recipe that enhances the featured dish's saltiness because it is creamy and saucy.
- Ginataang Kalabasa with malunggay is another vegetable dish that is coconut milk-based, which complements our menu's succulent, rich, and salty taste.
- Laing- is a vegetable dish that is perfect for serving with our menu as a side dish. Since it has a rich and creamy flavor from the coconut milk, it helps the dish stand out with its taste.
- Pineapple Juice is a popular drink that helps the featured dish stand out because of the sweet and sour taste of the drinks, highlighting the dish's saltiness and savoriness.
- Beer is an alcoholic beverage that complements the dish's salt and savory taste because of its bitter taste.
Cooking with incredible protein like seafood is a great experience. Whether it is the big or tinier size of it is great to work within the kitchen.
You could do experiment recipes and explore the protein's flavor palette, which helps you discover new upgraded recipes from classic and traditional recipes. Like our menu, you could try and make tons of variations in this dish to become a restaurant-quality dish.
Dealing with seafood is not easy. It has different textures, tastes, and qualities that you have to know first before cooking the great out of it.
Hence, trying and exploring other ways and variations to cook a certain dish would make you love cooking more. So, start dealing with shrimp, and surely you would love it!
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
- 1 lb Alamang
- 1 pc Egg scrambled
- ½ teaspoon Ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Flour
- 2 cups Cooking oil
- In a bowl, mix alamang with salt and pepper, then add scrambled egg and flour. Mix them well together. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, scoop 2 tablespoons of mixture in the pan and form a thin circle.
- Fry the alamang 3-5 minutes per side or until crispy brown.
- Transfer in a serving plate. Share and enjoy!