A baby goat meat tastes like a spring lamb, in the Caribbean island, and some parts of Asia called it “mutton.” You could cook it in varieties of grilling, frying, stewing, and many more.
This article would like to discuss the different cooking methods, delicious variations, tips, and many ideas on how this four-legged animal could be the main ingredient of an exceptional dish. We would help you to know how to cook the Kalderetang Kambing in the town!
What is Kalderetang Kambing
Kalderetang Kambing is a dish influenced by the Spanish colony in the Philippines. This dish’s name is Caldera in Spanish word, which means cauldron.
This dish is a delicate cuisine made from goat stewed with liver spread, tomato sauce, and vegetables.
In 1924 “Lagda sa Pagpanluto” cookbook of Donya Maria Rallos, kaldereta only composed of green peas, onion, garlic, tomatoes, bell peppers, Chinese spice. But today it has carrots, potatoes, and even pineapple tidbits. And more importantly, the goat is the most common meat used to create this dish.
Goat meat is much cheaper than the other meat. That’s why they prefer it to beef.
It is usually served this dish during special occasions like weddings, baptism, adult birthday parties, and town fiestas.
Knowing all the things about this dish is essential for you because it would help you make this dish exceptional!
Ways to Cook Kalderetang Kambing Recipe
Learning several ways of cooking these recipes would help you so much. So, here are some of the methods you could use to cook your amazing dish.
To cook in an Instant Pot.
When you use an instant pot in cooking, you could cut the chase shorter than usual. Thoroughly, you need to prepare all the ingredients needed and mix them well together. Ensure that you slice and cut the flesh in small sizes, so it is easy to cook.
Set all the ingredients inside the instant pot for 3-4 hours of cooking time. Then, check the flesh if it is tender and soft. The tenderness of the flesh could see when you pierce the meat. If it is already perfectly cooked, you could serve and share the newly cooked recipes with your loved ones.
To cook in a Pressure cooker.
Using a pressure cooker when cooking certain recipes or cuisine, you could have different results: an overcooked one, the undercooked, and the properly cooked, which could be soft and tender.
It would help if you placed the flesh inside the pressure cooker, add enough water, and some seasoning or salt. Then, you could cover it and wait for a few hours to cook.
When you check the meat’s cook, you could use a fork to check if it is softening. If the meat pulls down on its own and mellows, you could proceed to the next task: the slicing, marinating, frying, and sauteing process.
Frankly, the quality of the meat you used adds significantly to your cooking’s success.
To cook in Stovetop.
The stovetop is another method of cooking this dish. It is easy and more convenient to do than others.
You need to set it and season it 30 minutes before cooking it. Before searing it and putting it in a hot pan without oil, mix all the ingredients well and saute it all together. Then start cooking the meat without oil and finish it by adding some butter.
Other Delicious Variation for Goat Meat Recipes
If you are a first-time cook, try cooking this dish and upgrading it with other top variations. Here are some ideas about what version you could do in upgrading your classic recipes.
Batangas Style Recipes
Cooking this dish in Batangas is unique and different from usual simmered and stewed in tomato sauce and hot spicy ingredients.
But Batangas variation of the kaldereta is simply cooking the goat with cheese, liver spread, pickle relish, and peanut butter. An original and tasty version of this dish.
Goat Meat with peanut butter Recipes
This dish with peanut butter is one of the known variations of the dish. All the ingredients and even the process is the same as the traditional version.
What makes it unique is cooking this dish, you need to add peanut butter to add more sweetness in the dish’s spicy-salt flavor.
Calderetang Kambing Bisaya Style Recipes
Improving the dish version is not easy. Yet you could expect that it is worth it.
Another version of the dish is the Bisaya version of this dish is not that far from the old classic way of cooking it. The only difference between the Batangas style and other versions is that it adds pineapple juice and the tomato sauce.
Goat Meat With Gata Recipes
This dish with gata or coconut milk is one known variation of the dish, like the version with peanut butter. All the ingredients and even the process is the same as the traditional one.
So, the only difference between this dish is you need to add coconut milk to balance the sweetness, spiciness, saltiness, and the creaminess of the dish. It is an all-time favorite to eat, along with alcoholic beverages.
Are you wondering if this dish is healthy or not? Goat meat is much healthier than other kinds of meat because it contains cholesterol, calories, saturated fat, and less fat.
In Cebuano, instead of Kalderetang Kambing, they called it “Kalderetang Kanding.” And it is an all-time favorite pulutan during fiestas and other special events.
Goat meat is a bit hard to cook because it is not a slice of ordinary meat. Thus, here are some ideas that would help you reach the perfect cook and fix the recipes if you have trouble cooking it.
- To eliminate the gamey flavor, you need to marinate it with salt, ground black pepper, and vinegar mixture for an hour or two before cooking.
- To avoid becoming tough and dry meat, you must set the fire at a low temperature.
Before cooking these recipes, here are some amazing tips for cooking wonderful recipes like this.
- Make sure that you buy all the ingredients and the part you need.
- Season it pretty well, so it tastes more delicate and amazing when you cook it.
- When you use a pressure cooker, make sure you set the cover properly to cook it beautifully.
- Instant pot cooking requires you to check it from time to time, especially if it is soft and tender enough to eat easily.
- You could use pandan leaves to remove the meat’s unwanted smell by boiling the meat’s pandan leaves.
- Another way of eliminating the meat’s unpleasant smell is by boiling it with anisado wine, ginger, and garlic, then discard the mixture used in boiling when the meat is tender.
Best Served With
Recipes served without complimentary one is a bit plain and boring. That’s why we searched for other cuisines that could complement this food very well. It was more exceptional and stood out.
- Ube Halaya – is a popular town Filipino fiestas dessert that is perfect with our menu because it lessens the loathing taste and gamey flavor of these recipes.
- Beer – these recipes are perfect for beer food or “Pulutan” for a family bonding. Its bitter taste complements the dish’s spicy-salty taste, and some of the oiliness and loathing taste eliminates it.
- Pineapple juice – is also perfectly paired up to kaldereta. It would lessen the loathing taste of it and refresh you together with this food.
- Buko Pandan – is a delicious and superb Filipino dessert that compliments very well with the dish’s spicy and savory taste. Its sweetness highlighted this dish’s amazing taste.
- Minatamis na saging – is a sweet and delicious Filipino dessert that is perfectly suitable for this food, which lessens the gamy and loathing taste of it because of its flavor.
- Hot-steamed rice – is a common food that Filipinos paired up to any food, including this. It makes this food stand out since it is a bowl of plain rice. It complements the taste very well with the food.
- Biko – is a Filipino rice dessert or “Kakanin” usually served with a dish like our menu. It helps loathe the taste of this food and perfectly combines its sweet flavor to a salty and savory dish.
Discovering other dishes like Kalderetang kambing is a challenging yet enticing dish that everybody would love to try.
If you are a first-time cook, we provided you with the information you need to know if you are interested in cooking the Kalderetang Kambing recipes. Beyond that, it is all up to you if you want to try this dish.
Above all, the information you read is suggestions and recommendations only that you could follow if you are satisfied with your knowledge.
Cooking is a journey. If you do not start today, you could not start tomorrow! So, let’s go, get your ingredients, equipment, and tools and start cooking this unique, succulent, and delicate dish.
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
Best Calderetang Kambing Recipe
- 1 lb Goat chevon sliced into cubes
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 pc Onion diced
- 1 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1 pc Red bell pepper cut into strips
- 3 pcs Potatoes cubed
- 1 pc Carrot cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp Ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 1 cup Tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup Fresh nuts or peanut butter
- In a large bowl, combine the goat meat (chevon) with vinegar, salt and black pepper then marinate for at least an hour. Set aside.Note: Marinating the goat meat for an hour will eliminate the gamey smell.
- Pour the cooking oil in a cooking pot or casserole and apply heat.
- Saute garlic and onions until brown.
- Add the marinated goat meat then cook for 5 minutes or until the color of the outer part turns light brown.
- Pour-in tomato sauce and water, and allow to boil. Simmer for 1 hour or until the meat is tender.
- Then add the peanut butter and stir well until dissolved.
- Add potatoes and carrots then cook for another 20 minutes or until potatoes get tender. Then lower the heat.
- Put-in red bell peppers and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Serve while hot!