Luscious food banquets are the main events when the Christmas season is coming, especially in the Philippines. People become preoccupied with planning and thinking about what menus to prepare for the upcoming holidays. So, if you’re one of them, it’s perfect to learn how to make this wonderful Best Chicken Hamonado.
Serving the highest-ranking cuisines and delicacies are some of the things that make Christmas a colorful celebration. Families plan what to do on the Noche Buena (midnight feast), at the same time, what to offer guests who might be visiting their homes. Not to mention the food to bring to Christmas parties at work or in any organization.
In this regard, it’s high time that you learn some of the most fabulous chicken recipes, like the sweetened recipe. Fortunately, we have provided you here with the essential things you need to know. So, read on and plan to make your Christmas celebrations more colorful.
What is the Filipino Hamonadong Manok
Chicken Hamonado is a Filipino recipe often served during the Christmas seasons. It features any chunks of meat that is marinated with pineapple sauce. In this recipe, manok is the primary meat chunk. Thus, it closely resembles the Pininyahang Manok (chicken cooked with pineapple) recipes.
Etymologically, it refers to the Spanish jamonado, which implies cooking or preparing akin to ham. This term is synonymous with endulsado (endulzado in Spanish) of Zamboanga, Philippines, “to make it sweet or glazed.”
However, such a term does not refer to Hamon (Jamon) or ham, which are also an all-time favorite Christmas main recipes. Instead, the term is much related to the sweet variant of longganisa (Philippine sausage). Interestingly, both of them are fantastic food trips.
Thus, knowing things like these might make you wonder how you prepare such satisfying recipes like the sweetened chicken? Let’s find it out.
Ways to Cook the Best Chicken Hamonado Recipe
Knowing the origin of food might satisfy the cravings of your mind. But learning how to cook it may make you indulge more. Hence, let’s study how to make these beautiful recipes in different manners.
Roast Chicken Hamonado
Aside from the classic method we featured in our recipe table, this sweet chick menu may also be roasted. The ingredients and preparation are closely alike, such as the poultry meat and marinated mixture, and so on. But you place it inside a preheated oven instead of a frying pan.
With grilling, you are confident that everything is cooked from the skin down to the bones. Plus, the meat absorbs the marinate very well. Hence, it could make the meat juicy and flavorful.
Bake Glazed Chick
Cooking under 375 degrees Fahrenheit for half an hour makes the baked version of this chicken recipe different from the grilled one. But similarly, you marinate the chick thoroughly with the mixture for a longer time to ensure savoriness.
The process of baking helps the meat to juice out its natural oil. Doing so makes the chicken lesser in cholesterol, which is a healthier diet for chick lovers.
Instant Pot Chick
If you want a bit faster cooking, then use an instant pot for your glazed chicken. To prepare all the ingredients in their proper sizes and measurements, from the meat to the spices. Then, put everything inside the pot and wait.
Consistent high temperature speeds up the cooking when using an instant pot. Amazingly, it does not overcook the meat because of the regulated time setting. In other words, you have to set the right length of time.
Variations of the Filipino Manok Hamonado
Luckily, this chicken hamonado recipe has more than a handful of other innovations and versions. All the variants are equally enticing, and you might crave so much that you might want to make them all. Let’s see.
Filipino Marinated Chicken Roll with Sweet Sauce
For starters, the sweetened roll is a rockstar at community occasions like a town fiesta. It features slices of manok meat from the thigh-leg part rolled and with a hotdog inside. Of course, it has its signature sauce all over, making it irresistible.
Marinated Chicken Longganisa
Indeed, the longganisa version of this dish is also a must-try. This variant resembles the Chinese chorizo and usually uses ground pork as meat. But our sweetened version uses chicken marinated with pineapple juice, soy sauce, and black pepper.
This process sounds like adobo. But the marinated grounded chicken is filled in longganisa casing and preserved. Preparing this version is delicious, especially during breakfasts paired with garlic rice and a fried sunny-side-up egg.
Glazed Manok with Sprite Marinade
If you’re in a sugar rush, this variant is something you would not miss. This version has infused the lemon-lime soda or Sprite in the marinate mixture. However, it does not only add sweetness, but it neutralizes the meat’s fat.
With saucy recipes like these, you could not avoid errors. Therefore, we share with you some strategies to fix your recipes when things turn out wrong.
- Add more salt when the marinate would turn out too sweet.
- Put more marinate mixture when it tastes flat or almost tasteless.
- It extends the preparation longer when the marinate tends to be watery.
To make your cooking better, follow the suggestions below. These are ways on how your broiler glazed might become a masterpiece.
- Make sure to buy good quality broiler meat that is fresh and young. Too old broiler’s meat is challenging to soften.
As your kitchen friend, we will help you identify fresh meat from the not-so-fresh ones. First, you need to check your skin color. The color of fresh broiler meat should be light pink with white pieces of fat. Moreover, it should be soft and moist when you pinch it or lightly touch it.
If your broiler meat has a foul odor coming from it, then you should not use it. In addition, if there’s slime or any discoloration, you should not consider using it in your preparation. Not just will it ruin the taste of the menu but the health of those who will eat it.
- Likewise, choose the fitting part of the broiler that absorbs the marinate faster. Breasts are the most difficult to marinate, while the thigh-legs are more comfortable to grip.
When marinating the broiler, you must ensure that you poke some holes in the skin up to the meat of the broiler. This is to ensure that the meat will absorb every sauce that you have made. Also, this is a way to cook the meat evenly.
You can also cut the meat into smaller pieces for easy preparation and marinate it even better. You can also soak it for two hours or overnight for even better results.
- Carefully inspect the pineapple tidbits if it’s already expired. It’s preposterous that some supermarkets do not strictly control the quality of the products they sell on their shelves.
If you want to ensure the freshness of your tidbits, you can choose to buy fresh pineapples instead. Then, after you peeled off the skin and the eyes, chop it like tidbits. In this way, you will have just enough pineapples to use in the preparation proper and as garnish. In addition, there will be some left for after-meal dessert.
Best Served With
As luscious as these delicate recipes, many other foods perfectly match when served together with broiler glazed. Crave for more with the following cuisines.
- Shanghai Fried Rice – this broiler’s sweetness complements well with the salty and garlicky flavor.
- Mixed Vegetables – of course, creamy veggies complete the nutritional value of a plate with chicken.
- Garlic Bread – if garlicky rice blends with the sugariness, then bread may do the same blending.
- Shoyu Ramen – hot slurping of noodles and broth makes a suitable partner with the sweetened chicken.
- Pineapple Shake – quench your thirst with a tall, ice-cold glass of a refreshing fruit shake. Pineapple is also a healthy equalizer with cholesterol-filled chicken meat. Aside from being delicious, this magical fruit also contains lots of nutritional value that you could benefit from. Let have a quick discussion about it.
It contains a variety of minerals and vitamins essential for growth. In addition, it also has manganese, copper, vitamin B6, and vitamin C. All these are important in your body.
Moreover, it has antioxidants that will help you fight diseases and repair damaged cells. Pineapple also provides bromelain, a group of enzymes that reduces inflammation, boosts immunity, and improves digestion.
Given that, it is very important to load your body with virus-fighting agents, especially in our situation today. COVID-19 is an invisible villain that we have to fight by keeping ourselves healthy. Boosting our immunity is a must to fight this. And a pineapple can help us keep up with that.
In addition, for those experiencing constipation, drinking a pineapple shake will help you regularize your bowel movement. Thus, that feeling of bloating and uneasiness will now finally go away.
- Buko Pandan – get this lovely dessert that deserves to be on the menu with glazed chicken as the main recipe.
At the heart of the matter, the sweetened recipe for chicken is a delicate dish for Christmas. Its trademark sweetness makes it resonate with the joyous occasion the season transcends.
Fortunately, you may serve this chicken hamonado recipe, not only during Christmas, in any season you wish. With this recipe blog, all you have to do is take courage and try. You may commit mistakes at times, but what matters most is that you learned and are open to improvements.
What are you waiting for? Try this now to prepare early. Make your Christmas and any occasion memorable with the fantastic Chicken Hamonado.
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
Best Chicken Hamonado Recipe
- 1 lb Chicken cut into serving pieces
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 can Pineapple tidbits small size
- 1 pc Onion small, cubed
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 cup Water
- Combine chicken, pineapple juice from the pineapple tidbits can, soy sauce, and black pepper in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot. Fry the chicken for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until light brown. Remove from the pot then set aside. Note: Remove some oil on the pan.
- On the same pan, saute garlic and onion until brown.
- Add the chicken and pour-in the marinade. Let it boil while covered. Cook in low heat for 30 to 35 minutes. Note: add water as needed.
- Add sugar and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Then top it with the tidbits.
- Serve while hot!