Finger foods originated from France in late 1700. The French people called these finger foods or small servings of bread with toppings as “canapés.” It is intended to be eaten while held in the fingers. Meanwhile, in the United States of America and the United Kingdom, we have a version of canapés that we call appetizers today. These are usually served during cocktail or dinner party events. After many years, the Filipinos adapted this type of servings and invented various kinds of finger food.
I know a dish in the Philippines that you can serve as finger food or a full meal course! The best Crispy Tilapia Stick is what I am talking about earlier. This dish is perfect for serving any time of the day, and like what I said earlier, it can be served as a full meal course just by adding rice! Yes, you heard it right. This recipe is one of the best recipes, so what are we waiting for? Let’s begin!
What is Best Crispy Tilapia Stick Recipe
The Crispy Tilapia Stick is a unique way to cook tilapia. The main ingredient for this dish is tilapia. The Philippines is a country rich not only in agriculture but also in fisheries. The country is made up of 7,640 islands and surrounded by prominent bodies of water. Our country is one of the top fish-producing countries in the world for many years.
In the Philippines, the Tilapia industry provides income for many anglers. It is considered the most cultured freshwater. The Cagayan Valley is now emerging as the Philippines Tilapia capital. You can buy a kilo of tilapia for as low as 1USD. It is a viral fish next to bangus or milkfish; that is why people around the Philippines created various types of recipes.
The version of this dish is more like a fillet dish. We all know that tilapia has a soft texture, but in this dish, the Tilapia fillet is soft and juicy inside but so crunchy on the outside. To make it crisper, the tilapia fillet is coated in breadcrumbs and deep-fried in oil. If you are interested in making this, keep reading about the recipes.
Ways to Cook the Best Tilapia Sticks Recipes
The Best Crispy Tilapia Stick is a type of on-the-go-food. That is why it can be prepared and served in several ways. I listed down how to cook this dish in the three most simple methods and see what best suits your time.
Baked Tilapia Sticks
Baking is probably one of the most used cooking methods. The best thing about it is the cooking appliance that you will use for this oven method. It is very efficient to use; just select the right button, and you're good to go. There is no need for you to worry since it has timers that will go off in the indicated time you set.
You also have a choice if you want to go oil-free or put just minimal oil. It is the reason why Baked Crispy Tilapia Stick is one of the healthiest ways to cook it. Baking the Crispy Tilapia Sticks instead of frying will limit your intake of fatty cholesterol. This way of cooking requires a little oil or no oil at all. Even if not fried, it will still have a crispy texture.
Tilapia Sticks thru Stovetop
Pan-frying or deep frying is the most common way of cooking Crispy Tilapia Sticks. It is also more convenient to do since we are very familiar with how to do this method. So far, this is the simplest one that we have on the list.
You can just put oil on the pan and wait for the temperature of the oil to increase. You can deep fry it and wait for them to have a golden brown color. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan while frying. You can never go wrong with deep-fried foods like this one.
Tilapia Sticks thru Airfryer
Air frying is a trend nowadays. Airfryer is a good investment for those who love frying foods but hate oil. Yes, you don’t need oil for this cooking method. It is a healthy option for those people who are looking for a beneficial or healthy cooking method. It is similar to a conventional oven, but this one is convenient and easy to cook. The air fryer circulates the heat around the food that results in a crispy exterior.
You can start by preheating the air fryer before putting it in the frying tray. Put in about five to six pieces depending on the size of your air fryer. Just make sure to give a little space in between to ensure that each piece is thoroughly cooked.
Other Delicious Variants of Best Tilapia Sticks Fillets Recipes
The traditional version of Crispy Tilapia Stick has exquisite and exceptional flavor. Since you can serve this dish any time of the day, why not try upgrading this recipe to the next level? Here are some of the other versions of Crispy Tilapia Sticks that your family will surely love!
Recipe With Lemon & Garlic Mayonnaise
Lemon and garlic are great combinations. In this recipe, the lemon and garlic will give the tangy flavor of this dish. Meanwhile, the mayonnaise will bring out the sweetness and sourness of this dip.
The Lemon and Garlic dip is the top choice because of the flavor and health benefits for fish fillet. On the other hand, the garlic will contradict the greasiness of the dish. It will result in a balanced taste of Crunchy Tilapia.
Recipe With Lemon Garlic
Lemon is one leading partner for this fried dish. It will give the dish a kick of different flavors. The lemon will overpower this recipe's greasiness and complement the salty taste of the fish fillet. Moreover, lemon also helps to lower your blood pressure.
With Broccoli Parmesan Dip
I can describe this dish in three simple words hot, cheesy, and healthy! The broccoli makes this dish guilt-free and more healthy. It may not sound effortless, but this dip is very easy to make. You can start making this dish by mixing the raw ingredients; broccoli, parmesan, cheddar, mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, onion powder, and garlic powder.
The creaminess and gooeyness of this dip will explain why everybody loves this dip for fish fillet. It will compliment the Crunchy Tilapia Fish Sticks. But there is more to that! Believe it or not, the Broccoli Parmesan Dip is low in fat! Aside from that, it is rich in fiber, protein, iron, potassium, calcium. To wrap it up, the Broccoli Parmesan Dip is incredibly delicious and healthy.
With Lemon Parmesan-Crusted
Every dish will always be perfect with cheese! This version of Fish sticks is ideal for kids who rarely eat fish. The parmesan will make this recipe more delicious.
Parmesan cheese is usually used on spaghetti, Caesar salad, pizza, and baked macaroni. It is somewhat expensive, but the unique taste of it will explain everything. A hundred percent sure that kids who love cheese will love this fish stick version.
With Honey Mustard Dip
If you want a sweet and tangy flavor, this is the dip you are looking for. It is made from essential ingredients: honey, mustard, salt, and pepper. It will take you only a few minutes to complete this dip. This dip is also healthy because honey is very rich in antioxidants and improves cholesterol.
With Tartar Sauce
Tartar sauce is more than what you expect. It is not as simple as pickle relish and mayonnaise. The tartar sauce is a ubiquitous dip because of the creamy flavor and has a little bit of tang from the lemon juice. People love making this simple dip because of the “homey vibes” since many grew up with this dip.
Korean Style Crispy Tilapia
Annyeonghaseyo! Filipinos loves Korean foods ever since Korean barbecues became popular. In this version of the recipe, you can taste a unique taste. The Korean Style Crispy Tilapia Sticks have a mild spicy taste and salty flavor. It will complement the greasiness of the fish sticks.
The necessary ingredients for this recipe are Korean soybean paste or “doenjang,” Korean chili paste “gochujang,” and other seasoning ingredients like honey, sesame oil, and garlic. You can easily find these ingredients in any local grocery store or Korean grocery store.
With Spicy Soy Mayo
You will only need two main ingredients for this dip; the very famous Sriracha and mayonnaise. The dip will give this dish a kick of spiciness. The good thing is that this dip is considered a healthy dip. Many research says that it is shown to improve dissolve blood clots and help blood flow from the heart.
The Sweet and Sour dip is very famous in Southeast Asia and East Asia. It is later known in England. It is made from sugar or honey, depending on your choice, with a sour ingredient, usually from vinegar sauce, and fruit such as lemon and calamansi. If you want a healthier sugar substitute, always note that you can also use fruit such as pineapple for the sweet flavor.
With Mozzarella cheese
If you are looking for a cheesy recipe for your fish fillet, I highly recommend trying this recipe in your home. Wrap the tilapia together with mozzarella cheese to experience the gooey feeling in your Crunchy Tilapia. Mozzarella cheese is packed with calcium that is essential in our body.
Crispy Tilapia Sticks with Mozzarella cheese
If you are looking for a cheesy recipe, I highly recommend trying this recipe in your home. Wrap the tilapia together with mozzarella cheese to experience the gooey feeling in your Crispy Tilapia Sticks. Mozzarella cheese is packed with calcium that is essential in our body.
Italian Style Crispy Tilapia
This is the dish you are looking for to achieve the Italian way of cooking the Crunchy Tilapia. The fish sticks are coated with a tomato-based mixture with chili peppers and olives. It will surely achieve the delicate flavor of Italian style.
Trivias about Best Tilapia Fish Sticks Fillets
The Fish Sticks is a dish that originated in the United Kingdom. It is usually made up of whitefish that is battered and breaded. In Europe, fish sticks are available in their supermarket. They typically sell frozen fish sticks, and you can fry them. Some of them bake the fish sticks and usually serve with tartar sauce, salsa, and guacamole. Fish sticks are generally substituted for chicken nuggets since fish sticks have lower calories.
In the Philippines, instead of using typical fish, we usually use tilapia for our fish fingers. One of the reasons is the low price of tilapia and its availability in the local market. It is traditionally served with sweet and sour sauce or banana ketchup.
Another Trivia about the Tilapia, in aquaculture the Tilapia or Oreochromis aureus is considered the third most significant fish after salmon and carp. Aside from the field of aquaculture, tilapia is also vital in our health. It is a great source of omega-3 fatty, omega-6 fatty, acids and protein. The omega-6 fatty plays a crucial role in our body. It helps keep our cholesterol under control, and our body can’t survive without its help.
Tips for the Recipes
Like they always say, prevention is still better than cure. Suppose you are planning to cook this recipe to prevent the troubles beforehand. Here is some guide to make this recipe perfect:
- When buying a Tilapia, make sure to have a soothing scent and moist flesh and seem freshly cut.
- When buying fillet, you are assured that the flesh is fresh when the fish's color is more vibrant. The quality of fish is critical to be able to make the crunchy tilapia fish sticks.
- Use better breadcrumbs to ensure that all the side of the fish is well breaded. This will be the base of the crispness of the finger fish.
- Ensure the right amount of oil is precise because when it is deep-fried. This results in a relatively faster way of cooking.
- It is better to use garlic powder, onion powder, and ground black pepper to quickly marinate the fish. But if you have time, you can always use fresh ingredients for marinating before putting breadcrumbs.
- Use a beaten egg to coat the fish to ensure that it is well covered and save more breadcrumbs.
- Always lower or medium-high heat level the fire when cooking the Crunchy Fish Sticks to avoid burning the skin and thoroughly cooking the fish fillet.
- As much as possible, use a non-stick skillet to avoid sticking the fillet in the pan.
- Watch the temperature from time to time while cooking the fish sticks to prevent them from burning.
To avoid ruining your dish too much, here are some specific measures:
- If the taste is bland, you could always add a pinch of salt to balance the taste.
- When it smells fishy, squeeze lemon to remove the odor.
- If it is too salty, you can always add sugar.
- If the sauce is too tangy or sour, a pinch of salt will save your dish.
- When your sauce is too oily, add cornstarch, keep stirring until you achieve your sauce's desired texture.
- If the sauce is too spicy, add milk like butter or cream to any dairy products.
- If the oil starts to float up in your dip, scoop out the oil slowly.
Tilapia Sticks is Best to Serve With
Here are some of the top choice partners of this recipe to highlight its flavor, balance, and taste.
- White rice - It is always a great partner with this dish. Filipino love to eat rice that they can’t live without.
- Garlic rice - The Filipino Garlic Rice or Sinangag is the perfect way to use leftover rice. Because of its delicious flavor, you can partner it with Crunchy Tilapia.
- Java Rice is a well-known Filipino fried rice with turmeric and annatto oil usually served with fried or grilled main dishes.
- Egg soup - It is delightful to partner egg soup with fried foods to balance our taste and to not lose our appetite quickly with food.
- Suam na Mais is a classic corn broth, but instead of yellow corn, we use white corn kernels. Like the Egg soup, it will balance our taste.
- Pork and Potato Stew - It is a one pot meal full of stew made from the sauteed onions, garlic, and the Pork. It is great especially when the meat is tender. You can also add carrots, potatoes, Vegeta, paprika, tomato paste, pepper, and salt. It will contradict the oily taste of the Crunchy Tilapia.
- Calamares - This dish is a deep-fried squid ring that is usually dipped in spicy vinegar.
- Chicharon Bulaklak - It is a deep-fried pork mesentery, served with spicy sauce.
- Puto Pao - It is similar with steamed cake but made out of all-purpose or rice flour filled with different kinds of fillings. It is perfect as dessert.
- Atcharang Papaya - It is made of grated unripe green papaya with julienned ginger, onion, garlic, carrot slices, and bell pepper.It is a pickled version of papaya.
- Leche Flan - Leche flan is known for its sweetest desserts here in the Philippines. To get rid of the fishy taste, it is nice to partner with this Leche flan. Great for dessert.
- Maruya Saba Banana - It is a traditional sweet banana dish that will compliment the Crunchy Tilapia Sticks.
- Nilupak - It is a traditional Filipino food dessert made from different root crops like cassava or even banana. Great served as dessert for Crunchy Tilapia.
Filipinos can always upgrade or make a twist of a simple fried dish. The Crunchy Tilapia is one of those dishes. It is very cheap yet tastes so good. You can try to make this dish with your friends, family, and loved ones at any time of the day.
It is also perfect for serving at night during night outs or movie marathons. It is a dish that every age group in the family will love. The Crunchy Tilapia Is a dish that will light up the day, especially when you cook it with love and serve with a big smile.
The Crunchy Tilapia is a food that you must eat when you visit the Philippines. It will showcase that the Filipinos are also wealthy when it comes to fisheries and culinary. So what are you waiting for? Try making this recipe for a great experience.
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
- 4 pcs Tilapia fillet large, sliced lengthwise
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Ground black pepper
- 2 pcs Eggs beaten
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- 2 cups Cooking oil
- Combine the salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and ground black pepper in a bowl mix well.
- Rub the mixture all over the sliced tilapia fillets.
- Meanwhile, pour the oil in a deep cooking pot. Turn-on the heat and start to heat-up the oil.
- Dip the tilapia fillet in the bowl with beaten egg then dredge the tilapia in breadcrumbs. Note: Make sure that the tilapia is well coated.
- Then, put the breaded tilapia into the hot oil and start to deep fry the fish until the color turns golden brown. Use medium heat in this step.
- Remove the deep fried crispy tilapia sticks from the cooking pan and place in a plate lined with paper towel.This will absorb the excess oil.
- Transfer the crispy tilapia sticks in a serving plate.
- Share and enjoy!