Stews are types of dishes that you could find all over the world. It is a combination of solid vegetables, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, beans, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, and peppers. It includes meat, particularly the tougher one suitable for slow cooking, such as poultry, beef, seafood, and sausages.
Pork is one of the famous proteins that many stew-makers use in their dishes when cooking. Pork is more tender than beef since pigs are usually and commonly slaughtered at a younger age, which, unlike the cows, did not develop more collagen, making the meat tougher.
If you are a stew lover, then cooking the famous pork stew and potatoes soup is a good idea. This type of stew is another superb dish in Filipino cuisines, allowing you to incorporate large and bold flavors to the dish.
To cut the chase, let's keep reading and take note of all the details about this great pork stew and potato soup featured in this article.
What is Pork and Potato Soup
Potato and Pork Soup is a classic dish from the Filipino food palette. In French terms, they call it ragoût de porc, which means in English is a caramel pork stew or pork stew.
Pork is a dish as the main ProteinProtein, including vegetables such as potatoes and carrots. It is a stew-based dish that would warm your belly during the cold winter season.
It is a humble yet elegant dish in one pot meal full of stew made from the sauteed onions, garlic, and the Pork. Then you could add some water to it or stock and bring it to boil. Simmer the Pork when it is tender already. After that process, you could now add the carrots, potatoes, Vegeta, paprika, tomato paste, pepper, and salt to add the stew's taste.
This pork stew and potato soup dish are commonly and particularly served with bread and salad on the side. It is a particular dish but has a phenomenal taste. Stews are typically and relatively cooked at a low temperature by simmering and not boiling it to allow the flavors to come out and mingle.
You could cook the dish in many different ways, including stove, crockpot/slow cooker, instant pot, and many more.
Aside from this classic stew dish, you could encounter many varieties of this featured dish in the entire article.
Ways to Cook this Pork and Potato Soup
Different cooking methods are important to execute when the recipes you desire to cook are difficult to make. That is why we listed the three perfect ways to cook the pork and stew recipes.
It is the traditional way of cooking the featured dish, where you have to cook it in a pan. It is the perfect option if you want to be hands-on in cooking the dish.
You have to sear the Pork first at the right heat temperature in the pan. You could either lower or higher the heat as long as it would cook the Pork into perfection.
When cooking a dish that has sauce, a stove is a perfect method to use it. It is more accurate than the other cooking methods because you could taste the dish repeatedly and easily without the fear of opening the slow cooker or the instant pot and could not cook the meat properly.
It is the easiest way yet requires a lot of time and effort when cooking using this method.
In this technique, cooking a dish like Pork and stew is easy and quick. You could cook the meals, including browning the meat and cooking the entire dish in minutes using a single pot.
It makes the meat more tender than cooking it on a stove or other cooking ways. You should sear in it and deglaze using the pot. Afterward, you could add all the ingredients and wait until the sauce or the stew is already thick. It would take less than an hour cooking the entire pork and stew recipes in an instant pot.
In this cooking method, you must not open the multi-cooker lid to ensure that the cook on the Pork is perfect, and the stew sauce is thick and creamy.
Crock Pot/Slow Cooker
Crockpot or Slow cooker cooking is slightly different and requires more time to cook than the instant pot method. You have to cook the meat for a few hours before you could cook the entire dish.
You have to prepare and put all the ingredients needed to create the dish. This method allows you to go out even while cooking because you use a slow cooker for cooking the featured dish.
Like instant pot cooking, you don't know the dish's taste until the Pork cook is perfect. You do not need to open the slow cooker's lid because it may ruin the meat's cook, not pleasing.
Other Delicious Variants of Pork and Potato Recipes
Stew recipes have many versions and variations. And here are some of the variations you should try to cook.
With Peanut Sauce Recipes
The first version on the list is a traditional version with a twist. It is an African version where you could add chunky peanut butter in the sauce of the stew. It makes the dish much sweeter than other variations, and also, the sauce is quite thicker than the original because of the peanut butter.
It is a good variant for the traditional dish. You could use the same ingredients and cooking style, but they added peanut butter to make the dish more appealing, delicious, and has a punch of sweet after taste.
Another version of the stew is called Chinese Pork stew and potato. It is a little bit different from the classic version's appearance. The Chinese version minced the Pork into smaller sizes, and the potato slices are thinner than usual.
In this version, the texture and appearance of the Pork are very different from the original dish. But, the ingredients they used are all the same, even the process of cooking it and the preparation. It is easier to cook than other versions. It takes less than 30 minutes.
This variation makes the classic Pork and stew into an authentic Chinese cuisine.
In this version, since it is a Mexican Pork and Stew, they use many spices from Mexican cuisines, including cumin, cinnamon, and salsa for the stew's sauce.
They use the same ingredients and cooking process the same as the traditional, but they added Mexican herbs and spices to the recipes. And instead of using potato, they used a sweet potato to elevate the taste of this savory dish to have a sweet touch through the sweet potato.
This elevated dish honors the Mexican ingredients very well. They used it and did not overpower the featured recipes.
This variation of the stew is Romanian Pork and stew. They use Parsley, lovage, and dill are the herbs they're using to create this wonderful variation. It is a version that serves Pork and stew with mamaliga or Romanian porridge made from yellow flour or cornmeal.
Like the classic one, they cook it in a slow cooker—the ingredients used in this version of the same as the original dish. The only thing that differs from this version is herbs' choices when cooking and the mamaliga.
Mamaliga is a porridge made from yellow maize flour or corn cereal grain. This porridge is a versatile food and perfect with Pork and stew.
Did you know that Pork Stew contains many benefits for our body? It contains 170 grams of calories per four ounces of serving.
It also contains 22 grams of ProteinProtein and 8 grams of total fat. It has no carbohydrates included in the nutrition facts of this dish.
Pork is also healthy for our body since it has a rich protein source that provides important vitamins and minerals.
Three ounces of Pork in a single serving has the potential to produce thiamin, ProteinProtein, selenium, phosphorus, an excellent source of zinc, niacin, potassium, vitamin B-6, and riboflavin.
Pork is low sodium meat that helps our heart be healthy and regulate blood pressure properly.
According to the American Heart Association Heart-Check Mark, both pork sirloin and tenderloin roast meet their criteria, which means it contains less than five grams of fat, two grams or less of saturated fat, and 480 milligrams or less of sodium per servings.
Tips for cooking these recipes
To avoid errors when cooking, here are some tips you must follow to create an outstanding dish.
- First, ensure that the Pork you buy from the market is fresh.
- Cut or slice the meat in bite and uniform sizes. So, when you cook it, it would cook uniformly as well.
- Wash the meat and the vegetables you desire to put in the featured recipes.
- If you are using an instant pot or slow cooker in cooking the recipes, make sure that you don't open the lid once you set it.
- Add the right amount of seasoning, including the herbs and spices.
- Don't overpower the featured stew recipes by putting many seasonings on it.
- Sear the Pork first before putting it in a pot.
- The kind of Pork you should buy in the market is a pork shoulder or a pork sirloin. It's because both the sirloin and shoulder tend to be tougher meat to use in pork stew. After all, it requires slow cooking.
Troubleshooting when cooking these recipes
When you are in a hurry and have to cook the recipes right, an error occurs. Therefore when you encounter the error, all you need to do is save the recipes from ruining more.
- When you are cooking using a slow cooker or instant pot and accidentally open the lid that might cause the cooked in the meat is not perfect, try cooking it using a stove.
- Seasoning could either power up or overpower your recipes, so avoid using too much seasoning on it. If you overpower it, try to add more water to it.
- It tends to have a thick sauce, but if your sauce becomes mushy and super thick, try to add more water to it.
Best Serve With
Stew is a dish served with different recipes that make the featured recipes' flavor stand out among other recipes. Hence, here are the good recipes that complement well with the featured stew recipes.
- Rice is a good dish to pair up with the stew because it is a full pack Pork stew and Potato dish.
- Arroz Caldo- is a porridge dish that compliments well with our menu because the featured dish is perfect for serving with porridge on the side.
- Cornbread- is a type of comfort food that is the right dish to serve with the stew. It complements the savory taste of the recipes then dunk the cornbread into the sauce of the stew.
- Banana Bread- is also a bread dish perfect with the stew recipes. Like the cornbread, it is the perfect combination with the featured recipes.
- Buttermilk Pie- is a sweet dessert complementing the salt and savory taste of the featured recipes.
- Snickerdoodle- is a type of comfort food that looks like a cookie. It tastes complementing the savory flavor of our menu.
- Taco Salad- is a vegetable salad with taco chips. This salad is perfect for the stew recipes featured in the article because it is a pork meal that complements the recipes' savory taste.
- Creamy Pasta Salad- is another salad dish that is perfect for serving with stew. It incorporates the earthy taste to the stew, which made the stew stand out.
- Pineapple Juice is a type of drink perfect with stew dishes because it has a sweet-sour taste that complements the featured dish's salt-savory flavor.
- Mashed potatoes- is a perfect dish that is perfect with stew recipes like the featured recipes. Its plain flavor would make the flavor of the featured recipes stand out.
- Red Wine- is an alcoholic beverage that complements the featured recipes' savory taste because of its slightly sweet-bitter taste.
- Korean Fried Chicken- is a dish that is perfect to complement the stew recipes.
- Tonkatsu- is a dish with a dry texture and perfect to eat with the stew recipes in the article.
- Inihaw na Panga ng Tuna- is a dish that might complement our menu.
- Fried tilapia- is a simple fish dish that is perfect to pair up with stew because it is a dry dish.
- Minatamis na saging- is a banana dessert that is perfect for serving after eating the stew.
- Mixed Vegetables - vegetables like this dish are an excellent partner with the featured stew recipes.
- Garlic Bread - is a type of bread that is the most suitable partner of pork and stew recipes because of its rich, bold, and succulent taste.
You are cooking with Protein like Pork is what we usually do almost every day. You know the pork characteristic and how you should deal with it when using it as your main ingredient.
Stews are a little bit similar to soups, but stews have thicker sauce than soups. Thus, if you are not familiar with creating a stew, you could search for it online. But we provide you a stew dish that you might love to explore, and that is the Pork stew and Potato dish.
Don't ask any more about how and why to make this dish; you could find all the details in this article to make this phenomenal dish that you could serve your family and friends on any occasions or during the cold winter season!
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
Best Pork and Potato Stew
- 1 lb Pork cut into big cubes
- 2 pcs Potatoes cut into big cubes
- 1 tablespoon Flour
- ½ cup Cooking Oil
- 1 pc Onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon Celery cubes
- ½ teaspoon Thyme dried
- ½ teaspoon Oregano dried
- 2 pcs Tomatoes minced
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper crushed
- Heat oil in a pan. Roll the meat onto the flour and fry until light brown.
- After frying everything, remove some of the oil and saute the onion, tomatoes, and celery. Mix for 5 mins.
- Put the thyme and oregano. Mix and add the pork. Mix again, then pour in the chicken stock. Simmer for 45 mins over low heat.
- Add salt, pepper, and potatoes. Cover and cook for 45 mins over low heat. Tip: add water if necessary.
- After 45 minutes, transfer into a serving bowl.
- Serve hot and enjoy!