Are you craving for a chicken meal, but you want it to have some twist? Here you go! Keep on, and we will give you the best versions of how to make chicken lollipop!
This recipe is known as a kid’s favorite from then up until now. The reason for its popularity is because of its appearance and taste. Thanks to this website because we can help you come up with different recipes that you will surely love.
Here, we will feature chicken lollipop’s origin, different styles, and techniques to achieve a lollipop style on your chicken. Watch out as we share with you the yummy taste of this dish!
What is Chicken Lollipop
Chicken lollipop is considered not the main course, but an “hors d’oeuvre,” which means an appetizer. As an appetizer, chicken lollipops are often served as a small dish before a particular meal. This style is adopted in European cuisines.
Chicken lollipop is described as chicken’s drumette and wingette. In this dish, we cut loose the meat from the bone and pushed down, creating a lollipop-look. In this way, you can hold the lollipop at the bottom’s bone then enjoy biting it. It is very much attractive to eat, especially for kids who love fried chicken meals.
Origin of Chicken lollipop
Where did the chicken lollipop originate? According to studies, this appetizer is of Indo-Chinese origin and culture. Thus, the dish was brought up from these two countries and then further improved to all over the world. Most Indian and Chinese restaurants cater to this dish for a long time in their styles.
What is chicken lollipop made of
As you lollipop your chicken means you prepare your winglet and drumlet part. The meat is pushed through one end of the bone to form a spherical shape.
From then, it can be breaded, marinated, deep-fried, once cooked and prepared in any way you like. That’s how it is commonly developed in the Philippines. However, it varies depending on the other country’s styles.
- Chicken – the chicken part that is used for this recipe is the wings. The specific components in the arms are the drumette and wingette. They used it as it is easy to circulate the meat part to become a lollipop style or appearance.
- Salt and Pepper – what others don’t know that much is that salt and Pepper is not only essential for giving taste to the chicken as it provides a more critical role. It will help the flavors in the marinade penetrate or absorb and remain behind after cooking.
- Marinating Flour – the all-purpose Flour or the refined Flour is used to coat or marinade your chicken meat. Gradually put the chicken lollipop onto it and rub it until the meat absorbs the Flour.
- Egg – you should also coat it to the beaten eggs after putting onto the Flour. It gives the seasoning and marinade to stay firm in the chicken.
- Bread Crumbs are made of the sliced residue of dry bread for those who aren’t familiar yet. It takes responsibility for the crispness and crunchiness of your chicken lollipop after frying. It also enlightens the golden brown color of your dish.
How to make a dipping sauce for Chicken Lollipop
Your chicken lollipop is even more delicious with a perfect sauce. But the question is, what dipping sauce is ideal for a chicken lollipop? Let’s see.
You can have many options when it comes to the dipping sauce. As you explore the taste of your chicken lollipop, you would notice that it is complemented with many flavors such as sweet, sour, or a combination of two.
Sweet and sour sauce
A sweet and sour taste makes a perfect compliment with the fried and savory flavor of the chicken lollipop. This is caused by whisking together the following ingredients;
- Tomato Ketchup – this makes your sauce thicker and also gives an intense sweet flavor. Salsa is also responsible for the red color of the sauce itself.
- Apple cider Vinegar – what makes it more interesting is that the apple cider vinegar has various healthful properties, including antimicrobial and antioxidant. It also lowers your cholesterol and blood pressure level that is necessary if you are eating fried food like a chicken lollipop. Vinegar also contributes to the sourness of the sauce.
- Peach Jam – this is essential as it adds to the natural sweetness and sourness in your sauce.
- Apple Juice – this is entirely free of calories and fats and can lower cholesterol. Peach Jam is also packed with various essential nutrients like vitamins A, C, E, and K, helping you to be healthier. The purpose of this here is to stabilize the sweet and sour taste of your sauce.
- Honey – a teaspoon of honey adds distinct sweetness to your sauce.
- Garlic Powder – For aroma, flavoring and richer taste are the purposes of adding this here.
- Salt and Pepper – Like in the marinating process, it contributes mainly to the taste and spiciness of the dipping sauce due to the presence of Pepper.
Gravy / Sarsa
If you have a limited budget, but you want to have gravy/sarsa as your dipping sauce, worry no more! You can still have homemade gravy. The ingredient can only be found in your kitchen. Whisk and mix well the following components, and that’s it!
- Butter – this will enhance the flavor more. Also, butter contributes to other ingredients to be quickly melted.
- Flour – this thickens the sauce and makes it stabilized
- Milk – others don’t necessarily include it, but for a creamier approach and taste, we recommend that you add any of your available milk to your sauce mixture.
- Salt and Pepper – this is for giving strong taste and for spices, too.
Soy Vinegar sauce is easy to make because all you have to do is to combine soy sauce and vinegar. Putting sliced garlic cloves, onion, salt, and Pepper too will make your dipping sauce tastier. This one is also a perfect match with your fried chicken lollipop.
Ways to Cook Chicken Lollipop
To indulge this cute chicken recipe, it is essential that you learn a couple of notable ways to cook it.
Oven-baked Chicken Lollipop
If you avoid too much oil, you don’t want to make your dish fried, no problem. This oven-baked lollipop of cooking will save you.
The process is the same, but you will just disregard the frying, instead, make your chicken flavorful and tasty, then oven-baked ii as a later part of the cooking process.
Deep-Fried Chicken Lollipop
This is the most common way to cook your chicken lollipop. Deep-frying for the suggested amount of oil is necessary to prepare the chicken thoroughly. It also takes a shorter time compared to oven-baking.
If you are on a diet, use essential oil that is low in saturated fats. These are canola oil, safflower, and olive oil. See, no one can stop you from having this yummy dish, not even your diet or goal, to lose weight.
Variations of Chicken Lollipop
Chicken Lollipop is a simple dish as you see it, so why not try to cook it in many ways to add extra twist and excitement, too. You can choose from these options on how you are going to prepare yours.
Chicken Lollipop Barbecue
In this style of cooking, you will do the same as what you do on making and cooking your chicken lollipop. You will just add a barbecue-style of food afterward.
This style will not make the dish plain; instead, it will have a sweet and a bit sour taste because of barbeque sauce. Don’t use more seasoning. We only need the barbeque taste to penetrate the chicken lollipop. Make it remain dried but have this flavor.
Teriyaki Glazed Chicken Lollipop
It has a similar taste to barbecue-style cooking, but they are not the same. Barbeque is distinct because it has grilled after-taste. Here, you just have to follow the teriyaki glazed style of cooking.
Teriyaki glazed incorporates with your chicken lollipop taste like a sweet and sour that has more to the side of a fancy salty-sweet. Like the previous style of cooking, it must also be dried and only penetrate the sauce.
It is best to compare the taste with soy sauce that has been mixed with honey.
Crispy Orange Chicken Lollipop
You have an upcoming party, and you want to prepare chicken lollipops for family and friends. Make sure they will remember the taste for bringing your orange chicken lollipop into the next level.
Here, your chicken lollipop must end up dried but will emphasize the orange-ginger taste like. It is made with orange juice, vinegar, garlic, sugar, soy sauce, ginger, red chili flakes. This style of cooking is full of flavor with a strong sweet and spicy taste.
Garlic Parmesan Chicken Lollipop
In this variation, we will make the simple fried dish into the next level by creating Garlic Parmesan Lollipop. By doing that, you have to mix up garlic powder to your flour-based marinating mixture and also put grated parmesan cheese in the equation, and you are all set. Fry and enjoy it!
To give you some facts, we included these trivia significantly to the recipe.
Let’s start by knowing the calories of a chicken lollipop. Even though chicken is a good source of protein, frying negates most of the health benefits. Yes, you may savor this recipe but this deep-fried food contains high fat and calories. However, what would you do to still have it in a more healthy way?
Simply use olive cooking oil. Nutritionists and other experts say that this is the most versatile and healthy oils you can use in frying foods as long as it’s an extra virgin. This means that it has low fat since it is refined and not overly processed.
Another, after fried, don’t forget to strain it to remove oils. You can also put your fried chicken lollipop on a tissue paper. It will absorb the excess oils, too.
Now, you can still enjoy your favorite chicken lollipop with fewer worries.
You had enough with the style and variations of the chicken lollipop, and now let us help you how to lollipop chicken.
- First, use a knife that is sharp enough to cut through the joints of the wings part. Even though you will only use the two parts of the chicken wings here, don’t throw the sides. Use it for other dishes like for making soup.
- It is essential to lollipop a chicken to make the meat and bone still intact to each other, so be careful in chopping.
- If you feel like spicing your chicken lollipop more, add ½ teaspoon of paprika to the Flour as a combination to marinade.
- To tenderize your chicken, soak your chicken lollipop in milk or buttermilk in your refrigerator overnight before marinating the next day.
- It is a common practice when making southern-style fried chicken. This practice supposedly tenderizes the chicken’s meat through the actions of enzymes naturally present in the milk. You can also use yogurt as a replacement to milk if it is not available.
- While frying, set your stove in stable medium heat so the chicken will be completely and equally cooked. The tendency of rushing it by setting high temperatures is that the outside part is prepared while the inside is still uncooked.
- In frying, use only a small but deep pot so that you can still submerge your chicken without using too much oil.
- What if my chicken is not crispy? It is probably because of overcrowding. Overcrowding the pan will lower the temperature of the oil to be absorbed and result in soggy and greasy chicken. So, put enough space into each chicken while frying. Put it on paper towels, too, to drain the excess oil after being fried.
Best Served With
With an exceptional taste of chicken lollipop, there are many dishes you can accompany with it. Here are those.
- Spaghetti – for parties, pasta meals like pasta are commonly served in partners with chicken meals. Chicken lollipop compliments this dish.
- Carbonara – this popular pasta meal can also be matched with your chicken lollipop as it gives a complimentary taste.
- Crispy Onion Rings – this appetizer is even better with our featured recipe for today as they give savory yet delicious flavors.
- Homemade Potato Chips – we put homemade because you can still make your potato chips by frying, steaming, or baking it. It can incorporate chicken lollipops as well.
- No-Bake mac and cheese – The same as the two previous pasta mentioned above, the sweety and cheesy taste of no-bake mac and cheese blends to the juicy chicken lollipop.
- Coleslaw – the combination of the yummy and creamy taste of coleslaw makes more intense as you served it with chicken lollipop
- Chicken Macaroni salad – Fried meal like our dish for today is much better with a creamy taste of macaroni salad.
- Ice Cream – this is also commonly served in parties altogether with pasta and chicken meal.
Simple as you see but addictive when you taste! That’s how chicken lollipops make an impact all over the world—no wonder it is one of the most-ordered dishes when we dine in many restaurants.
We hope that you are inspired and gain all the information that you need to come up with a tasty variety of chicken lollipop. This is truly worth your effort not only with the taste but also to the health benefits of the said ingredients.
The signature taste of crunchiness to your bite with a mild note of juicy and sweetness makes it an all-time favorite. Now that you know how to make chicken lollipops, make your particular version, too. Parties can be more fun because of it. Just whip up a batch of these crunchy chicken lollipops with unique dipping sauce, and you’re all set!
For more delicious recipe, visit Eat Like Pinoy!
Best Chicken Lollipop Recipe
- 10 pcs Chicken wings
- 1 1/2 cup Bread crumbs
- 2 pcs Eggs
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 2 tsp Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 2 cups Cooking oil
- Divide the chicken wing into 3 parts by slicing through the joints. Set aside the wingtip for other possible uses.
- Shape the wing to look like a lollipop. You should have two parts of the chicken wing by now: the one with a single bone and the one with two bones. Start by selecting the part with one bone.
- Separate the meat from the bone by sliding a sharp knife around the tip of the bone where meat is still connected (do not cut through the bone).
- Place the wing vertically on top of a flat surface while holding the part where the knife passed.
- Gently push downward while gripping the bone with your thumb and index finger until the meat slides down.
- Arrange the meat by inverting the inner part until a lollipop shape is formed.
- Season the chicken lollipops with salt and pepper and let it stand for at least 15 minutes.
- Crack the eggs and transfer to a bowl then whisk. Then, gradually add-in the all-purpose flour while whisking until a batter is formed.
- Dip the chicken lollipop on the batter then to the breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot then deep-fry the chicken lollipop under medium heat until the color of the outer part turns medium brown (about 10 to 12 minutes).
- Remove the fried chicken lollipop from the cooking pot and transfer to a dish with paper towel. Let it stand until excess oil is absorbed by the paper towel.
- Serve with your favorite dip. Share and enjoy!